無知故に感心することがある

このQ&Aのポイント
  • 無知故に感心してしまうこともあれば、真に素晴らしい物を素晴らしいと思えないこともある。
  • 洞察が足りないと、本来賛美に価しないものに感心してしまうことがある。
  • 無知は一回の感心に対して多くの感心を生む原因となる。
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

参考書の一文です。下の文のwhileは無くても成立すると思うのですが不

参考書の一文です。下の文のwhileは無くても成立すると思うのですが不可欠ででしょうか? While for once that ignorance leads us to admire what with fuller insight we should perceive to be unworthy of such tribute from us, a hundred, nay, thouthand times ti prevents us from admiring that which is admirable indeed. ?? for: corresponding to(POD); as against(AHD). つまりratioを示す。 ?? もっと十分に洞察出来ればそんなに賛美するに価しないことがわかるはずのものを、 無知故に感心してしまうことになる一回に対して、 無知故に、 真に素晴らしい物が素晴らしいと思えぬばあいは百回、いや千回もあるのだ。

• 英語
  • 回答数2
  • ありがとう数13

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
回答No.2

We indeed hear it not seldom said that ignorance is the mother of admiration. という文がさらにその前にあります。 「実に,無知は賞賛の母であると言われることをしばしば耳にする。(だが)これほど誤った言葉を一度も発せられたことはないし,これほど有害な言葉はほとんどない。というのも,(無知は称賛の母であるという)その言葉は,心のこの最も健全な働き(称賛のこと)は,大体,虚偽や幻想(無知のこと)に依存していて,さらに知識を得ることで(無知でなくなれば)称賛という行いが終わってしまうということを意味するからである」 これを受けて,「一方」「けれども」とつなげるのがセミコロン while です。 in truth「実際には」をはさんで,for once 以下は若干英語が書き換えられていますが,概ね正しく訳されています。 「無知から称賛が生まれる」のでなく,「無知ゆえに称賛が妨げられる」という内容の英文です。

gkwxc892
質問者

お礼

一連の長い回答ありがとうございます。このように全体像を見ると前文からの接続副詞ということが一目瞭然ですね。全体図を検索すると言う解法が勉強になりました。

その他の回答 (1)

回答No.1

A falser word was never spoken, and hardly a more mischievous one; for it seems to imply that this healthiest exercise of the mind rests, for the most part, on a deceit and illusion, and that with better knowledge it would cease; while, in truth, for once that ignorance leads us to admire that which with fuller insight we should perceive to be a common thing, and one demanding therefore no such tribute from us, a hundred, nay, a thousand times, it prevents us from admiring that which is admirable indeed. 元になった英文が見つかりました。 この while はこの前の、 (for) it seems to imply that this healthiest exercise of the mind rests, for the most part, on a deceit and illusion, and that with better knowledge it would cease という節を受けて、コンマの代わりにセミコロンで区切ったものです。 したがって、この前の部分がないのであれば while をとばして for once that ~で始めて正しく文が成り立ちます。 While が文頭に置くのは必要ないというか、置けば誤りです。

関連するQ&A

• この文の構造を教えてください。

Even in jail Rodriguez Orejuela continued to run his empire after his 1995 arrest and it was for crimes he allegedly committed while in prison from 1999 to 2002 that led to the extradition. 上の文のit was for crimes he allegedly committed while in prison from 1999 to 2002 that led to the extradition.の部分なんですが、it is .....that の強調構文じゃないですよね。ではit が主語になるのですか。crimesはhe allegedly committed...とled to ...の両方の関係詞の先行詞ですか。でもそれならit は何を指しているんですか。 よくわかりません。http://www.japantimes.co.jp/weekly/news/nw2004/nw20041211a3.htm  の最後のパラグラフです。 どうかよろしくお願いします。

• 英語の文で質問です。

英語の文で質問です。 The donation you made to that charity can be deducted from your US incom taxes. という文のmake to thatは何ですか?なんと訳すのでしょうか?

• 解釈、文法教えて下さい

1.If I perceive in another person mainly the surface , I perceive mainly the differences , that which separates us. (訳)もし、主に、他の人の表面を知覚したとすると、我々を隔てる違いについて主に知覚したことになる とありますが、細かいことですが、何故 that which と2つ続いているのですか??これはありですか? differencesを修飾するなら、どちらか一つでいいのではないかと思うのですが、どんな用法なのでしょう>< 2.This relatedness from center to center ‐ instead of that from periphery to periphery - is `` central relatedness " (訳)表面的でない人間の中心と中心の関係こそが、内面的なつながりなのである。 なのですが、 ・私の訳、「この中央から、中央への近縁性は、中央の近縁性である。周辺から周辺にかわって」のどの部分の解釈のしかたがおかしいでしょうか。すんなり模範のようにいけません。何故上のような訳にいたるのでしょう?? ・文中のthatの用法はなんですか?? 以上、どなたかわかりやすく教えて下さい。

• 以下の文を解説をお願いします。

It seems, however, that what dogs lack in this respect, they may be able to make up for by understanding what humans can perceive. 英検準一(2014年)の過去問から抜粋です。 第2パラグラフの出だし文です。 Itはどこを指しているのか、わかるようでわかりません。 「変な文章だな~」と思っています。 解説をお願いいたします。

• これらの文がうまく訳せなくて困っています。

これらの文がうまく訳せなくて困っています。助けてください。よろしくお願いします。 At the end of August 1950 the US High Commissioner, John J. McCloy, to whom the Federal Chancellor was distantly related, received a memorandum from Adenauer. From the start he had sought a close attachment to the Western powers. A German military contribution would be useful in this. The Social Democrats, however, voiced their fundamental opposition to this, led by Kurt Schumacher, who rightly predicted that the one-sided policy of Western integration would reduce the prospects for a unification of Germany and would also therefore damage European unification.

• よろしくお願いします

This weekend we planned a campout for our 8-year-old son and a few of his friends. Parents were all happy to allow their children to attend even after we realized it was Easter weekend. However, one mother was insistent that I create a treat basket to give the kids from the Easter Bunny. My family does not celebrate this, and the other children camping with us all are aware of the nonexistence of the bunny. She wanted us to hold a special meeting, pre-campout, to explain to all the children that her son still believes and that we all need to keep up the facade. I politely rescinded my offer to take her child explaining that we have different goals for this campout and different beliefs. That while having her son with us, we would not be able to “keep the magic alive,” as she says, and it is unfair to ask a group of five 8-year-olds to lie to a friend. the kids from the Easter Bunnyはどのような意味でしょうか?あと、That while having her son with usの訳と文法的解説をよろしくお願いします

• これらの文を訳して欲しいです!!

これらの文を訳して欲しいです!! The trouble is that with all this knouledge a child does not know what to do, how to make decision. He was liberal in his way of thinking,but his argument is far from that supported by lobbyist. At the boarding school I went to,the school dining hall was called Merry House.Whoever gave it that name obviously had a strange sense of humor; it was not merry at all for the people who had to eat there every day. All roads to the coastal area were blocked by the biggest storm in ten years. Who's coming with me to pick up the groceries that we ordered earlier? The traditional roles for Japanese men and women are no longer suitable for many people and need to be changed.

• この文が正しいか教えてください(*´ェ`*)

この英文が正しいか、ほかにもっといい表現があったら教えてください。 (6)私たちは一緒に住んでから、もっともっと仲良くなった。 we get better off since we have lived together. (7)もちろんけんかもたまにはする。 of course, i seldom quarrel with him. (8)でも、それはお互いのいろいろな面を知るために重要なことだと思う。 but i think that it is important for us to quarrel to know many difficult aspects of him. (9)私は彼と一緒に生きていきたい。 i want to go through with him. (10)だから一生懸命彼のためにがんばっているよ。 これは分かりませんでした。 教えてください。 よろしくお願いいたします。

• 訳と文構造を教えていただけますか

what they were supposed eat ,would order the children to do so or tell them that they ought to eat it because it was good for them. Japanese mothers would ask their children a question,such as "How do you think it makes the man who grew these vegitablefor you to eat feel when you reject them?"Thus from a vegetables for you to eat feel when to do, while Japanese children are encouraged not only to consider other persons'feelings but also to contoral themselves as a result of their own considerate. もし可能であれば、訳のポイントを教えて下さい。 お願いいたします。

• 英語で

I longed for years to go to Rome;but,when at last I went to Rome, and dlove through its streets,I wondered whether it was worth while going so far to see a city so unworthy of its history. この訳を教えてください