未開人の世界とは?

このQ&Aのポイント
  • 未開人にとって、彼が属する共同体の向こうにある世界は奇妙で神秘的なものです。
  • 彼はその世界に存在する人々を敵とみなし、彼らに対して嫌悪感や恐怖を抱きます。
  • 彼らは彼とは異なる秩序に属していると考えられ、彼らに対する権利は存在しないと見なされます。
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

和訳

和訳 We have seen that, to the savage, the world which lies beyond the community to which he belongs-i.e. beyond his group and the groups associated with it on terms which are friendly rather than hostile- is a world strange and mysterious, peopled with beings whom he hates or fears as his deadly foes. He thinks of them as belonging to an order other than his own, as less or, it may be, as more than human; and he looks upon them as absolutely rightless, for the sphere of rights is codeterminous with the sphere within which he himself lives. As regards himself, life is possible for him only within the little circle of his community. 未開人にとって彼が属する共同体の向こうにある世界とは ――すなわち彼の集団や敵対よりむしろ友好的である諸集団の向こうにあるその世界とは――、 彼が嫌い、執念深い敵と恐れる存在で満たされる奇妙で神秘的な世界であると私たちは理解してきた。 未開人はそうした存在を自分とは別の秩序に属するものと考える。 そして未開人はそうした存在を完全に権利のないものとみなす。 権利の及ぶ範囲は、彼自身が暮らす階層と共同決定?(codeterminous with)であるからである。 彼自身について、生活はその共同体の小さな輪の中でだけ可能である。 自分の訳に自信がもてません。 1.「on terms」以下をどのように訳すのでしょうか 3.「as less or, it may be, as more than human」をどのように訳すのでしょうか。

• kahe
  • お礼率79% (291/368)
  • 英語
  • 回答数2
  • ありがとう数9

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • tjhiroko
  • ベストアンサー率52% (2281/4352)
回答No.2

We have seen that, to the savage, the world which lies beyond the community to which he belongs-i.e. beyond his group and the groups associated with it on terms which are friendly rather than hostile- is a world strange and mysterious, peopled with beings whom he hates or fears as his deadly foes. 「未開人にとって彼が属する共同体の向こうにある世界とは―すなわち、彼の集団や、その集団とは敵対関係というよりむしろ友好関係にある諸集団の向こうにある世界とは―未知の神秘的な世界であり、極めて危険な敵として彼が嫌ったり恐れたりする生き物が住んでいる世界である、ということが分かった」 strange を「未知の」にし、as his deadly foes をhates or fears の両方にかけました。 He thinks of them as belonging to an order other than his own, as less or, it may be, as more than human; and he looks upon them as absolutely rightless, for the sphere of rights is codeterminous with the sphere within which he himself lives. As regards himself, life is possible for him only within the little circle of his community. 「未開人はそうした存在を自分とは別の等級に属するものと考え、人間以下、あるいはまた人間以上のものとして考える。そして未開人はそうした存在をまったく権利を持たないものとみなす。権利の及ぶ領域は、彼自身がその中で暮らしている領域との相互関係で決まるからだ。彼自身に関しては、生活はその共同体の小さな輪の中だけで可能なのだ」 codeterminous ですが、co-determine という動詞としての使用例は検索するとかなりありますので、その形容詞形ということでしょう。で、co-determine は、共同で決まる(決める)とか、相互関係で決まるとか、そういった意味のようです。 分かりやすい例としてこんなのがありました。 >Brain and culture co-determine each other これは共同で決めるというよりは、お互いに作用し合って互いを決めている、ということでしょう。

kahe
質問者

お礼

>strange を「未知の」 生半可な日本語訳の固定概念にふりまわされて 文意が取れない悪癖がどうしても直りません。 丁寧にご教示いただき、誠にありがとうございました。

その他の回答 (1)

• SPS700
  • ベストアンサー率46% (15295/33014)
回答No.1

>>1.「on terms」以下をどのように訳すのでしょうか on terms 「~という関係にある」という意味ですから、お示しの訳でいいと思います。  「敵対関係というよりはむしろ友好関係にあると考えられる集団との連携の、向こうにある世界」 >>3.「as less or, it may be, as more than human」をどのように訳すのでしょうか。 「かれ(未開人)は、彼ら(未知の世界の住人)が、人類以下か、あるいは人類より勝れたものか、それは分からないが、とにかく自分たちとは別種のものと考える。」 ここの order 下記の12番、あるいは13番の「目」に近い、分類学的な見方だと思います。 http://eow.alc.co.jp/order/UTF-8/ 2。がありませんが、coterminous with 「境界を同じくする」「同じ範囲にある」「同じ」。余計ですが下記には誤解を招くような訳もあります。  http://eow.alc.co.jp/conterminous/UTF-8/  「権利の及ぶ範囲は、彼自身の生活圏と同範囲であるからである。」  総じていい訳をなさっていると思います。

kahe
質問者

お礼

>総じていい訳をなさっていると思います。 拙訳に対して、まことに紅顔のいたりに存じます。 ありがとうございました。

関連するQ&A

• この文章の和訳をお願いします。

In the cases 1.5≦|b_i~|≦3, a particle comes near the planet and, in many cases, is scattered greatly by the complicated manner. Especially, as seen from Fig. 2, all particles with the impact parameter |b_i~| in the range between 1.8 and 2.5, of which interval is comparable, as an order of magnitude, to the Hill radius, enter the Hill sphere of the planet. Such a particle, entering the Hill sphere, revolves around the planet along the complicated orbit. After one or several revolutions around the planet it escapes out of the Hill sphere in most cases, but it sometimes happens to collide with the planet as described later. Fig.2. Examples of particle orbits with various values of b_i~ and with e_i~=0. The dotted circle represents the Hill sphere. All the particles with 1.75<b_i~<2.50 enter the sphere. よろしくお願いします。

• 和訳をお願いいたします

英文を和訳していただけるかたのみで お願いできますでしょうか? 1つの段落と2つの段落の前半部分となります。 どうぞよろしくお願いいたします。 The meeting will be very wonderful and yet very ordinary. But a transformation will begin like the melting snows on a sunny day or the change of the seasons, very gradually your life will become totally transformed. When he is ill, it is generally intermittent He gets a little better A little worse,. He becomes shiftless, subdued, an illness comes on and his competence suffers. His colour darkens and he gets liverish when ill He is also more prone then others to catch dysenteries if he travels in foreign places, or unclean conditions., and become poisoned quite easily by fish or shell fish. More subject to diarrhea than constipations and gets a lot of gas in his pipes. Gets mouth ulcers, or cold sores when his immunity is low, or before he is ill like a sign that his good health is dropping. He will be clean in all his habits, neat and tidy, hygienic. He suffers, minor ailments, spots or boils, indigestion, rheumatisms in cold weather, which he will make the most of, as if fascinated by their morbid details. This sign indicates a secret interest in health, or fear of serious illness so that when ill he may become hypochondriac imagining its worse than it is.

• 和訳お願いします

和訳教えてください!お願いします! 1 He used no more than ten thousband yen 2 She got no less than ten thousand yen 3 He is more or less a pioneer in that field. 4 Sooner or later, he will find a wife. 5 Nothing please me as much as your smile. 6 Nobody in our class is more motivated than Aiko. 7 He is no less rich than his sister.

• 次の和訳を教えて下さい、宜しくお願いします。

This brings us to the third portion of the swing, the portion of the swing, the portion beyond or nearer the net than the body, which is called the follow through.

• 和訳お願い致します。

The other point which has to be noted with regard to this criterion is as follows. I again quote from " Animal Intelligence :"— " Of course to the sceptic this criterion may appear un satisfactory, since it depends, not on direct knowledge, but on inference. Here, however, it seems enough to point out, as already observed, that it is the best criterion available ; and, further, that scepticism of this kind is logically bound to deny evidence of mind, not only in the case of the lower animals, but also in that of the higher, and even in that of men other than the sceptic himself. For all objections which could apply to the use of this criterion of mind in the animal kingdom, would apply with equal force to the evidence of any mind other than that of the individual objector. This is obvious, because, as I have already observed, the only evi dence we can have of objective mind is that which is furnished by objective activities ; and, as the subjective mind can never become assimilated with the objective so as to learn by direct feeling the mental processes which there accompany the objective activities, it is clearly impossible to satisfy any one who may choose to doubt the validity of inference, that in any case, other than his own, mental processes ever do accompany objective activities.

• 和訳をお願いいたします

和訳をしていただけるかた のみで、お願いできますでしょうか? 1段落の後半と、次の段落ですので、 中途半端だと思いますが、 どうぞよろしくお願いいたします。 He is articulate but his voice is a little rough with a strong accent, and may use dialect. Talks hastily. The tongue is dry He gets a dryness of the mouth.. As a child he may have learned to speak well only with difficulty and there are traces of this, past effort in the inflections of his voice. Irregular breathing or a slight wheezing quality occasionally intersperses itself in conversation between words. He forgets words and sentences. Stops to try and recall them, they drift out of his reach, he is unable to finish his sentences at times as if mystified. The odd incoherent way of speaking. A good voice but not a clear voice. He has a good musical singing voice, and sings to himself often. In old age his voice will become higher and like a creaking door

• oneselfの語順について

こんにちは。今回もお世話になります。 今回はoneselfについてお聞きしたいです。 It is difficult now; and I think that an author, when he uses either the words or the plot of another, should own as much, demanding to be credited with no more of the work than he has himself produced. お聞きしたいのは、文末のところだけですので、他の部分は 気になさらないで下さい。 he has himself produced.のところです。 普通、oneselfは、Sの直前あるいは文末に置くのが一般的 だと思います(ここだと、he himself~、あるいは he has produced himselfです)。 なのにこの位置に来ているというのは、どういう意図で著者は 置いたのでしょうか?また、ここに置くことの効果は?? そういったことが気になっています。 どなたか分かる方いらっしゃったら教えてください。

• 和訳お願い致します。

The early speculator was harassed by no such scruples, and asserted as facts what he knew in reality only as probabilities. But we are not on that account to doubt his perfect good faith, nor need we attribute to him wilful misrepresentation, or consciousness of asserting that which he knew not to be true. He had seized one great truth, in which, indeed, he anticipated the highest revelation of modern enquiry -- namely, the unity of the design of the world, and its subordination to one sole Maker and Lawgiver. With regard to details, observation failed him. He knew little of the earth's surface, or of its shape and place in the universe; the infinite varieties of organized existences which people it, the distinct floras and faunas of its different continents, were unknown to him. But he saw that all which lay within his observation bad been formed for the benefit and service of man, and the goodness of the Creator to his creatures was the thought predominant in his mind. Man's closer relations to his Maker is indicated by the representation that he was formed last of all creatures, and in the visible likeness of God. For ages, this simple view of creation satisfied the wants of man, and formed a sufficient basis of theological teaching, and if modern research now shows it to be physically untenable, our respect for the narrative which has played so important a part in the culture of our race need be in nowise diminished. No one contends that it can be used as a basis of astronomical or geological teaching, and those who profess to see in it an accordance with facts, only do this sub modo, and by processes which despoil it of its consistency and grandeur, both which may be preserved if we recognise in it, not an authentic utterance of Divine knowledge, but a human utterance, which it has pleased Providence to use Providence a special way for the education of mankind.

• この文章の和訳をお願いします。

For the cases where |b_i~| is smaller than about 5.7, a particle with δ*=0 can enter the Hill sphere. The same as for the case e_i~=0, a particle which enters the Hill sphere revolves around the planet and after the complicated motion it escapes from the Hill sphere. As a result of this, the particle has quite different osculating orbital elements at the final stage from the initial. At the same time, a particle sometimes happens to be able to collide with the planet during the revolution. As |b_i~| decreases, the region of δ*, with which a particle experiences a large angle scattering or a direct collision, propagate on both sides around δ*=0 as seen from Fig.7. We can also see from this that the region of |b_i~| where a particle is largely scattered or collides with the planet, is shifted outward (i.e., to the side of large values of |b_i~| in comparison with that for the case e_i~=0). This is due to the fact that a particle has a finite eccentricity in this case and it can come close to the Hill sphere near the perigee point even if the impact parameter |b_i~| is relatively large. Fig.7. The change of the eccentricity ⊿e~ versus the parameter δ*, for particle orbits with various values of b_i~ and with e_i~=4. As b_i~ decreases from 6.0 to 2.0, the regions where a large scattering occurs spread to both sides of δ*=0. For b_i~=1, particles return half way to an opposite side of b_i~=0, conserving the initial eccentricity. 長文になりますが、どうかよろしくお願いします。

• 和訳お願いします。

I think it is the year 1909. I feel as if I were in a moving-picture theatre, the long arm of light crossing the darkness and spinning, my eyes fixed upon the screen. It is a silent plcture, as if an old Biograph one, in which the actors are dressed in ridiculously old-fashioned clothes, and one flash succeeds another with sudden jumps, and the actors, too, seem to jump about, walking too fast. The shots are full of rays and dots, as if it had been raining when the picture was photographed. The light is bad. It is Sunday afternoon, June 12th, 1909, and my father is walking down the quiet streets of Brooklyn on his way to visit my mother. His clothes are newly pressed, and his tie is too tight in his high collar. He jingles the coins in his pocket, thinking of the witty things he will say. I feel as if I had by now relaxed entirely in the soft darkness of the theatre; the organist peals out the obvious approximate emotions on which the audience rocks unknowingly. I am anonymous. I have forgotten myself: it is always so when one goes to a movie; it is, as they say, a drug.