What does 'cut from the same deck' mean?

このQ&Aのポイント
  • Find out the meaning of 'cut from the same deck' and how it relates to personal experiences.
  • 'Cut from the same deck' refers to having similar experiences or backgrounds, often involving adversity. It suggests that two or more people can relate to each other because they have faced similar challenges or hardships.
  • The phrase 'cut from the same deck' can be used to describe a shared understanding or bond between individuals who have overcome similar obstacles in their lives.
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

cut from the same deck

cut from the same deck 文全体: " Do you want to change that? (Ryan's avoiding eye contact again) Then you have to get over the fact that life dealt you a bad hand. I get it. We're cut from the same deck, Ryan. I grew up no money, bad part of the Bronx, my father was gone, my mother worked all the time. I was pissed off, I was stupid. " ここにあるcut from the same deckってどういう意味ですか?

• 英語
  • 回答数2
  • ありがとう数2

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
回答No.2

文脈から察すると先に回答している方の解釈で大丈夫だと思います。イディオムで cut from the same cloth というのがありますが、「多くの共通点を共有する」とか「生い立ちが似ている」という意味です。多分、それをこの人なりにしゃれて変形させているのか、勘違いして覚えているんではないでしょうか?

参考URL:
http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/cut+from+the+same+cloth

その他の回答 (1)

• tjhiroko
  • ベストアンサー率52% (2281/4352)
回答No.1

deck はトランプのひと組のことを指し、このcut は「カードを引く」という意味ですので、We're cut from the same deck で「私たちは同じトランプから引かれたんだ」つまり、同じ仲間というか、似たようなものだということの比喩ではないでしょうか。

関連するQ&A

• hear fromについて

このコーナーではいつも学ばせて頂いております。 hear fromのfromの位置についてお教え頂けないでしょうか。 以下の文を作ってみましたが、fromの位置はあっていますでしょうか? すなわち、直接その場で話を聞いた時のfromの位置です。 日本語:私は娘から大学に合格したことを聞いた。 背景として、同居している娘から直接家でその話を聞いた。という状況で、決してメールや手紙、電話で娘から聞いたのではありません。 英語:I heard that my daughter was accepted into university from her. 「質問背景」 hear fromとhearとfromが続くのは、便りが来る時や電話の時であり、直接話を聞くときは、hear+目的語+fromとなる。 ということがジャパンタイムズST「やさいい英語の正しい使い方」に書かれていました。 「質問内容」 しかし、目的語がthat節を取るような長い場合、わたくしが書いた英文のように文末にfrom herを持ってくるのはおかしいように感じます。 ですのでやはり I heard that my daughter was accepted into university from her. → I heard from her that my daughter was accepted into university . と思いますが、これでは手紙連絡等になり、直接その場で聞いたことにはならないのでしょうか? 理解に難渋しております。おそれいりますが、是非詳しいご指導、どうぞ宜しくお願い申し上げます。

• I can relate?

ここの会話の中にある、"...more excited about boats." "From the flight, I hate flying." "I can relate"の意味を教えてください。 全文: Gabriel: Seth and Caleb are sailing...I've never seen two people more excited about boats. Seth said you work here and I could use a cocktail Ryan: Uh...I can't serve you Gabriel: Right, your not legal. Ah, how bout a cranberry juice Ryan: That I can do. Gabriel: Alright. From the flight, I hate flying, you? Ryan: I've... never ben on a plane Gabriel: My first time I was fifteen, my mother sent me to Japan all by myself to do some modelling. Guess she figured it was easier then her having to get a job Ryan: I can relate Gabriel: I've heard

• fromの使い方?

NHKラジオ英会話講座より That was a friend from my watercolor club. 水彩画クラブの友達だったんだ。 (質問)このfrom はofでは間違いですか?その違いを教えていただけませんか? 以上

• 翻訳お願いします。英→日

少し長いですがどうかお願いします。 1- Can I get more than 1 pair? Yes you can buy more than 1 pair if you buy using different cards from the same site Or if you buy using the same card from different sites. You can NOT (in most of cases) get 2 pairs from the same site using the same credit card. Both your orders will be cancelled. 2- Can I get more than 1 pair from the same site ? Yes you can get more than 1 pair from the same site if you use different credit cards 3- Can I get more than 1 pair using the same card ? No you can't get more than 1 pair from the same site using the same card. In that case you have to buy from different sites. For example you can order AJ11 from Footlocker and JimmyJazz using the same card without any problem. 4- Can I ship to the same address if I use 2 different cards? Yes, but you have to change some stuff in the address. Street -> St. -> Strt. Avenue -> Av. -> Avuene And so on..

• 書き換え問題 so that構文から

お願いします。 書き換え問題です。 My illness was so serious that I had to resign my post. I was in ( such ) bad health ( that ) ( I ) ( was ) compelled to resign my post. これでいいでしょうか? よろしくお願いします。

• 受動態でのbyとfrom の使い分けがわかりません

下記のように受動態でgivenに対しfromが使われています。 (1)~(3)はto~from いり(1.590.000.000hit)(4)~(5)はtoなし(847.000hit)を例文でググってみました。 ちなみに was given byなら40.300.000hitです。 (1)best award was given to the EuroVideoMapping from Germany. (2) Careful consideration was given to input from staff and families as well as student learning styles. (3)When the captives were brought to Madinah, I was given to a family from Ansar. (4)Oyaki (bun) which was given from our friend convenient as not only between-meals but also side dish. nsknet.or.jp ... research works, the Young Researcher Award was given from Japanese Neural Network Society (JNNS) in [...] 2001, (5)The label showing that this specimen was given from Professor S. Hatta and constructed by a taxidermist A. よくある問題例文で、My uncle gave me this computer.を受動態の形にしなさい。というもので、 (4)I was given this computer by my uncle. (5)I was given this computer from my uncle. もbyでもfrom でもいいと思うのですが、どの参考書もbyのみで答えがのっているのは、なぜでしょうか?なぜfrom だといけないでしょうか?教えてください。 ちなみに自分の考えは以下です。 参考書寄りidea: Iに対してgivenの動作を作用させたbyがmy uncle。 fromを使うなら、その注視はthis computerの出どころをイメージさせるからIの主語と合わない。This computer was given to me from my uncle.にして主語とto~from~を関連させるならfromを使う意味がある。 私の直感: 基本どっちだって使える、Iにfocusしたいか、物にfocusを当てたいかで使い分けたらいい。その人のfeelingでOK. 教えてください。宜しくお願いします。

• ...I was after.

NHKラジオ英会話講座より Ryan:That's life . You win some,you lose some. Matt:You win some? Are you sure about that? I didn't get the job I was afer. So why doesn't a girlfriend appear out of nowhere for me? ・・省略・・、僕は就きたい仕事に就けなかった。・・省略・・ (質問)I don't get the job I was afer.についてお尋ねします。 「就きたい仕事」を[I was afer]で表現していますが、全く理解できません。易しい説明をお願いいたします。また同類の例文をお願いできればと希望いたします。よろしくお願いいたします。以上

• 翻訳をお願いします。

all i was telling you is a package was sent back to me from 3 months ago...it wasnt a big deal, just was showing you because that was not my fault . you did not understand my email.

• 謎のsame

インド人に多いのですが、the sameを「同様の」の意味以外で使っている場合が散見されます。これはどういう意味なのでしょうか? 「それに該当する」という意味合いで使われているような気もしますが、良く分かりません。以下は、複数人(全てインド人です)のメールの中から抜粋したものです。全て違う人なので、個人の口癖ではなさそうです。 例 01) The batch processes are running for long time. Please find the sql for the same. 例 02) The under sea cable carrying the Internet traffic to these destination has broken and rectification of the same would take 10-15 Days. 例 03) Jim asked me to submit the request number to him directly and he will look into it. (I will get the number from you and Push the same to Jim.) 例 04) I am not much aware of this and hence it will be better if we meet and discuss the same. 例 05) Can we schedule a short meeting for the same?

• 急ぎの和訳をお願いします。

すみません。急ぎの和訳をお願いします。 don't worry :) everything is going to be alright :) you said :But I felt that a story was necessary with more you in the same way as you!! but i don't get you