冷たい魚になった女性のニュアンスと理論についての質問

このQ&Aのポイント
  • シュークスピアの冬物語からの引用で、女性が冷たい魚になった理由が気になっています。
  • 試訳:彼女は女性と思われていたけど、冷たい魚へと変化した。愛してくれた者とどうしても契りを交そうとしないが為に。
  • 質問者は、冷たい魚という表現が理解できず、ニュアンスと理論を知りたいと思っています。
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

下品な質問をお許しください。このcold fishのニュアンスが気になっています。

こんにちは、神聖な英語カテで、下品な質問をする事をお許しください。 ちょっと気になっている程度なので、お時間がある時にでも、ご回答いただけたらと思います。 シュークスピアの冬物語からの引用です。 it was thought she was a woman and was turned into a cold fish for she would not exchange flesh with one that loved her. 試訳:彼女は女性と思われていたけど、冷たい魚へと変化した。愛してくれた者とどうしても契りを交そうとしないが為に。 (文章力が無いので↑のようにしか訳せません) ・ところで、どうして、***しない女性が、魚に変化したと例えられているのでしょうか? ニュアンスと理論が分かりません。 それとも、そもそも内容を読み間違えていますか? cold fishは、下記URLの辞書のような意味があることは分かりましたが http://eow.alc.co.jp/cold+fish/UTF-8/ やっぱり、わかりません。 文脈的にはこうなります。↓ Here's another ballad of a fish, that appeared upon the coast on Wednesday the four-score of April, forty thousand fathom above water, and sung this ballad against the hard hearts of maids: it was thought she was a woman and was turned into a cold fish for she would not exchange flesh with one that loved her: the ballad is very pitiful and as true. (著作権はほぼ間違いなく切れていると思います。) http://www.gutenberg.org/catalog/world/readfile?fk_files=111&pageno=52 変な質問ですいません、よろしくお願い致します。

• 英語
  • 回答数1
  • ありがとう数1

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • tjhiroko
  • ベストアンサー率52% (2281/4352)
回答No.1

「彼女は元は女の人間だったんだが、愛してくれた者とどうしても契りを交そうとしないが為に、魚に変えられたんだ」ということではないでしょうか。 この前のAutolycusが勧めるballadには、高利貸しの妻がマムシの頭やヒキガエルのこんがり焼いたのをどんなに食べたがってるか、というようなことが書かれているとかありますよね。こんないかにも嘘っぽい話を、本当に本当のことなんですから、と言ってます。 で、このballad ですが、これも本当の話なんですよとは言ってるものの、まったくの作り話であることが見え見えです。 それを念頭に置いて考えると、おとぎ話のようなことが書かれてあっても不思議ではないでしょうし、これは喜劇ですから、観客を笑わせるようなバカバカしいことを言うのも当然ではないでしょうか。 cold fish が冷たい人、無感情な人、という意味になるのは、このシェークスピアの冬物語のここが語源のようです。 http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/cold%20fish >Idioms & Phrases cold fish A hard-hearted, unfeeling individual, one who shows no emotion, as in Not even the eulogy moved him; he's a real cold fish. This expression was used by Shakespeare in The Winter's Tale (4:4): "It was thought she was a woman, and was turn'd into a cold fish." However, it came into wider use only in the first half of the 1900s. なお、ここに書いたのは私の思うところでして、シェークスピアの研究書を読んだわけではありません、間違っていたらごめんなさい。

Narumaru17
質問者

お礼

ご回答ありがとうございます。 勝手に読み間違えて、ムムッこれには深い意味があるに違いない、、、と思いつつ、、どんなご回答がくるのだろうと、不安と期待を抱きつつドキドキしていました。 >「彼女は元は女の人間だったんだが、愛してくれた者とどうしても契りを交そうとしないが為に、魚に変えられたんだ」 こういう事だったんですね、「下品な質問、、、ナンタラコンタラ」と大汗をかきつつ質問した自分がバカみたいです。 ところで、気が付けば入会してから3年近く経っています。 尊敬していた方々がドンドン消えていく中、回答者様はまだ健在なんですね。 尊敬&応援してます。  本当にご回答ありがとうございました。

関連するQ&A

• VOA 

When she started working in the 1970s, Campbell found it was more difficult to compete for positions and succeed. When she was turned down for a position, she was told the woman who had the position before did not work out and that no other woman would be hired in her place. よく分からないのは二つ目のwhen以下です。 彼女は役職に就く事を断られた?とはどういう意味でしょうか? よろしくお願いします。

• watchとlookの動作イメージの違いについて

下記にan eldery woman's shoplifting を目撃したことを話すmailの文章があります。動詞を適語にして文を完成させます。 I was buying a new alarm clock the other day in Taylor's the jewellers, whan I actually saw somebody shoplifting. I'd just finished paying for my clock and as I turned around, an elderly woman was slowly putting a silver plate into a bag that She was carrying. Then she walked( was walking) over the another part of the shop and picked (was picking ) up an expensive-looking watch a number of times. when she thought that nobody was looking (looked), she dropped it into the bag. before I had a chance to tell the staff in the shop, She noticed that I was watching (watched) her and hurried out. Unfortunately for her, two police officers was walking past just at that moment and she ran straight into them. 上記の文の中の was looking とwas watching のみが正解らしいのですが、looked とwatched も それを最初から最後まで目撃したよ という意味ではlooked とwatchedもありだと思っています。 臨場感を考えると過去進行形しかありえないのでしょうか?それともlookとwatchの根本的な意味を間違っているのでしょうか?教えてください。

• "called a coelacanth"は、"called coelacanth"でも良いですか?

「TOEICテストスーパートレーニング基本暗唱例文555」の#138に、  In the Indian Ocean lives a large fish called a coelacanth, a 'living fossil' that has remained unchanged since the age of the dinosaurs. (インド洋には、シーラカンスと呼ばれる大魚が生息しているが、これは恐竜の時代から姿の変わらない「生きた化石」である。) という文章があります。  この文章の called a coelacanth は、 called coelacanth でも良いのでしょうか?  もし、良いとすれば、2つの意味に違いはあるのでしょうか?

• 和訳してください。

英語に詳しい方、翻訳機を使わずに和訳してください。 細かい部分がよく理解できません。 I trying to convince her that she didn't need to ask me for everything, that I wasn't always right about everything, that she should speak up and stand up for herself and argue with me when I had the wrong idea... but she just didn't want to learn. Deep down inside, I discovered, she was the sort of woman who wanted a strong man to dominate her, whom she could lean on and rely on for anything she needed. She wanted to feel safe and taken care of. I don't think that's a bad thing on its own... but over those years I started to become a man I don't want to be: arrogant, controlling, overconfident. Like I couldn't help but enjoy all that power she was always giving me. But I don't want to be that man. And I don't want to live that relationship. I *have* to be able to grow, to learn, to always be taking life as a new lesson, but how can I do that if I'm never wrong about anything? It was too tempting, and it made me a darker person. So, though I loved her very much and it tore my heart to do it, I had to end our relationship. I was not the man she was looking for, even though she wanted me to be. And she was not the woman I have been looking for, even though I desperately loved her beauty and inner light

• called her out on it

I've been with "Betty" for 20 years. Last week, a repairman came to fix the phone line. On his way out, Betty followed him and said in a sexy voice, "I like bald-headed men. You come back." Betty didn't know I overheard what she said until I walked in after she had picked up the phone to call her girlfriend. She then told the woman that it probably hurt my feelings. She's right. It hurt my feelings and made me realize she really didn't care one whit about me. When I called her out on it, she claimed she was just being friendly. called her out on itはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• 長文ですが、英文和訳教えてください!!

ナスカの地上絵を、祖国から離れてでも守ろうとする女性の話です。 宜しくお願いします! Maria Reiche was born on May 15,1903,in Dresden,German. She graduated from the Dresden Technical University,whereshe studied mathematics,geography,and foreign languages. In 1932,Maria was a 29-year-old unmarried woman who was not happy with the political mood in Germany,especially with the rise of the Nazi party and a frightening leader named Adolf Hitler. She looked for any possible way to leave her country. One day,Maria found an ad in the newspaper asking for a woman to work as a nanny and a teacher for two children of a German consul living in Cusco,Peru. Soon after she applied for the job,she was hired. So off she sailed,full of hope for a better future. Maria loved the Andean mountains and enjoyed her years working with the two children in the ancient Inca capital of Cusco. At this time she had not even heard about the Lines of Nazca. In 1939,Maria was teaching in Lima,the capital of Peru, and doing scientific translations. By then ,Germany was already at war in Europe, so she didn't want to go back to her country. Then Maria heard from an American scientist in Lima about the mysterious Lines and Figures of Nazca,which he had recently seen from an airplane . She was interested enough to take a flight herself in a small plane over the Nazca desert(pampa) . When she saw the figures from the airplane of the spider, the hummingbird and the monkey ,she was so fascinated by them that she moved to Nazca to study the Lines herself.Maria Ruiche made many flights by plane and helicopter ,taking photographs of the many lines and figures on the pampa. She was especially drawn to the image of the monkey, but when she enlarged the photos she had taken, she was amazed to see that one hand had only four fingers...just like her. When she first came to Peru , one finger was amputated after it developed gangrene from a cactus infection. She then learned that Peruvian ancestors believed that this was a mark from the God of Thunder, which gave special power to communicate with the gods. For the next 40years, Maria lived alone on the pampa in a tiny one-room house , just to study and guard the mysterious Lines of Nazca/ One of the biggest threats to preserving the Lines was the Pan American Highway that cut across the pampa, slicing the picture of the long , crocodile-looking lizard in half. After Maria published a few articles about the Lines , more and more people started coming to Nazca so they could go out on the pampa to see the figures and lines for themselves. Maria persuaded the government of Peru to make the pampa a restricted area,so no one could walk on the desert except her assistant and herself. She was given many honors by the Peruvian government before she died, including Honorary Citizen of Peru and the title of Great Lady of Nazca. Everyone in the town of Nazca had grown to love and respect this woman who had come from far away to reveal to them the secrets of their ancestors , secrets that had been hidden out in plain sight for two thousand years.

• 日本語訳お願いします。

日本語に訳していただきたいです。よろしくお願いします。 Years ago, I participated in the rescue of a child from bondage. Destiny (not her real name) was 13. She had been repeatedly raped by a pair of predators to "educate" her. Then, along with several other young girls, she was forced to sell herself to strangers. Each day, she woke to the threat of disfiguring brutality if she failed to bring in sufficient money that night. Later, it was reported that "pimps" had been arrested, and "a number of child prostitutes were taken into custody." What was wrong with calling Destiny a "child prostitute"? After all, she was a child, and she was engaged in prostitution. First, the word itself implies a judgment of character. Don't we call people who sell out their moral convictions in exchange for personal gain "whores"? More important, prostitution implies a willing exchange. Ultimately, the term "child prostitution" implies that little children are "seductive," that they "volunteer" to have sex with adults in exchange for cash (which, of course, the children never see).

• ハリーポッター・構造がまったくわかりません。

It seemed that Professor McGonagall had reached the point she was most anxious to discuss, the real reason she was waiting on a cold hard wall all day, for neither as a cat nor a woman had she fixed Dumbledore with such a piercing stare as she did now. for 以降が特にわからないのですが、英文の構造、意味を教えてください。あと the real reason ~ は同格ですか?

• 和訳のお手伝いお願いしますm(__)m

和訳のお手伝いお願いします。 (1)she was very different from the woman I knew on the email. That turned me down. 前半はわかるのですが、“That turned me down”がわかりません。 (2)she always kept saying that… are you that way? 『彼女はいつも・常に(that以下)を言い続けていた』 で合ってますか? “are you that way?”がわかりません。 お願いしますm(__)m

• よろしくお願いします

Recently, while visiting my friend “Nancy,” I was chatting with her while she put away dishes from the dishwasher. At one point I noticed that she’d left a cupboard door open, so I helpfully closed it. She then turned around with her arms full of plates, for some reason expected the cabinet door to be open, and clumsily dropped some of the dishes. I honestly thought she was done in that cupboard and helped her clean up the mess. she was done in that cupboardとはどういうことでしょうか?よろしくお願いします