• 締切済み

英文の解説をお願いします。

The reason they gave for not promoting me was that I was worth more to the company as a salesman than a manager. (出典 スーパートレーニング実践活用例文555) この英文で、全体の意味は理解できるのですが、they gave for not promoting me のところが、文法的に理解できません。それと、 I was worth more to the company as a salesman than a manager. は、 I was more worth to the company as a salesman than a manager. では、だめなのでしょうか? 解説の方、よろしくお願いいたします。

• 英語
  • 回答数2
  • ありがとう数2

みんなの回答

• clint44
  • ベストアンサー率43% (22/51)
回答No.2

前段の部分を、通常の語順に戻してみましょう。 They gave me the reason for not promoting me... わたしを昇格させない理由を、××だと説明してくれた。 the reasonを主語にして、それについて説明する目的格の関係代名詞的構文にしたのが、出典の文です。(The reason which they gave me...の"which"が省略されている) 次に、"I was more worth to..."ではだめかというご質問ですが、文法的に間違いです。どうしても"more"を前に持ってきたかったら、 I had more worth to the company... とする必要があります。 なぜ"be more worth"ではだめかというと、worthは"worth $10"というように、「○○だけの価値がある」という使われ方をする形容詞だからです。 これに対して、"I had more worth..."での"worth"は「価値」という意味の名詞です。

yanosan
質問者

お礼

詳細な解説ありがとうございます。

• kenjamin
  • ベストアンサー率41% (52/126)
回答No.1

The reason they gave(彼らが示した理由) for not promoting me(私を昇進しないという) was that I was worth more to the company as a salesman than a manager(会社にとって私はマネジャーよりセールスマンとしてもっと価値があるということでした). 以上で理解できるでしょうか? I was more worth to the company as a salesman than a manager. は文法的に間違いではないでしょうが、使わない表現です。 慣用的な表現は: worth more than XがXを上回る価値がある。 例: Working for the company is worth more than my current salary あの会社で働くのは現在の給料以上の価値がある The watch was worth more than the price I paid paidあの時計は支払った金額以上の価値がある(買い得[いい買い物]だった)

yanosan
質問者

お礼

詳細な解説ありがとうございます。 The reason (they gave for not promoting me) と考えて、「give for」 が分からなくて悩んでました。 助かりました。

関連するQ&A

• 英文添削お願いします。

英文添削お願いします。 On October Second ‘10 I had a holiday and went to car dealer. First, I went to Toyota to see Estima. As soon as I went there, I did test-drive one. It was comfortable, but it wasn’t more comfortable Alfard and Velfire. When all of salesman find I decided to buy a car, they surve me with the greatest survice. After Toyota, I went to Honda. But there was not a car I wanted. When I was about to leave the shop, the salesman tried to prevent me from leaving there by this way and that. When I was feeling an awkward situation, my mobile phone rang at a good timing. It called from Toyota and told me to leave my bag. I left there at once and came back Toyota to receive it. As soon as I arrived at there, the salesman brought my bag to me. I felt I was lucky, as I left the shop. If I left it another place, it wouldn’t come back me.

• 英文の穴埋めの添削をお願いします

1)Matters are (worse) this year than last year. 2)I would rather walk than (take) a taxi. 3)Mom,you should have (fewer sugar) if you want to lose weight. 4)This is the heaviest snowfall we (have ever had). 5)Tom is (more clever) than honest. 6)I prefer playing golf (than watching) golf. 7)Students today seem not to be (much) interested in politics as those of the 1960s. 8)The bracelet was expensive,but the necklace was (less than) expensive. 9)The park is double the size of our school ground. =The park is (twice) as (large) as our school ground. 10)He has as many as eight thousand comic books. =He has no (more) than eight thousand comic books. 11)Watching videos is not as much fun as going to the cinema. =Going to the cinema is (more) fun (than) watching videos. 英文が多くてすみません。 ()内の添削をお願いします。 解説や和訳を加えてくださると助かります。 よろしくお願いします。

• 英文の意味がわかりません。

英文の意味がわかりません。 翻訳してください。 I didnt have a chance to check the disc. I was trying to get it to you as fast as posible are those the only discs that gave you problems? I dont want to send them and then you need more

• 英文の一部だけ解説お願いします。

There was a time in my life when I would not have been so sensitive to my friend's feelings. I would have probably given her a sermon about the benefits of discipline and the dangers of overeating and poor nutrition. However, I would not have succeeded in doing anything but making my friend feel guilty and condemned. When she asked me to share ideas that might help her I did so, 『 but with an attitude that did not make her feel that I had it all together and she was a mess.』 I have discovered that one way to love people is to help them not to feel worse about the things they already feel bad about. (Joyce Meyerの本より抜粋) かぎカッコをつけた部分だけ文法も含めた解説をお願いします。

• 英文の解説をお願いします。

英文の解説をお願いします。 I would go to the war - I would kill and maybe die - because I was embarrassed not to. という文の『I was embarrassed not to』 という箇所が文法的にどう解釈すればいいのか分かりません。わかる方がいれば教えてもらえませんか? ちなみに、この文章の後には、下記の文が続きます。 That was a sad thing.And so I sat in the bow of the boat and cried.(それは悲しいことでした。私はボートの選手に座って泣きました。)

• 英文の和訳をお願い致します!

下記英文を日本語にして頂けますでしょうか? They like "a", however they like the addition of more colour (the heart) in "b". If you would like to add a little bit more red / colour similar to this in "a" please go ahead - just as long as it is not a heart shape which they did not like. 特に最後の 「just as long as it is not a heart shape which they did not like.」 の部分が難しくて困っておりました。 どなたかご教授お願い致します!

• 英文翻訳をお願いいたします。

When the two fleets did join, they represented an awesome force and Hipper ordered the German fleet to sail north. Jellicoe interpreted this move as an attempt to lure the British fleet into either a submarine trap or a German mine field – or both. Therefore, he did not follow the retiring German fleet. Jellicoe decided to sail his fleet south to cut off the Germans when they tried to sail for home. Both fleets clashed again as the Germans sailed for port. The German ship “Lutzow” was sunk. “Seydlitz” and “Derfflinger” were badly damaged. The Germans claimed that Jutland was a victory for them as they had sunk more capital ships than the British. Jellicoe claimed that the victory belonged to the British as his fleet was still a sea worthy entity whereas the German High Seas fleet was not. The British did lose more ships (14 ships and over 6,000 lives) than the Germans (9 ships and over 2,500 casualties). But the German fleet was never again to be in a position to put to sea and challenge the British Navy in the North Sea.

• 次の英文で、

The trees will not grow to full size for about 30 years. (1)この日本語訳は、何でしょうか? (2)この文について、How long do the trees take to grow up? という質問があり、 答えは、A; They take more than 30 years.    B: They take  about 30 years.      C; It takes more than 30 years. どれが、正しいのでしょうか?

• 和訳お願いします

和訳お願いします。よろしくお願いします 1Nothing is so essential to self-training as the proper choice of books to read. 2There is nothing so beautiful as the view of a sunrise from the hill. 3When I was a salesman,I sold more papers than anybody else in this district. 4It is far more difficult to make optical glass than any other type of glass.

• 英文の解説お願いします。TOEICの問題集です。

Although I work full time, I am more than willing to take time from my day to help in whatever way I can to see an agreeable and safe solution to what I believe to be a serious health problem. 私はフルタイムで働いていますが、私ができるあらゆる方法で、私が深刻な健康問題と考えることに対する安全で同意しうる解決策を探すのを助けるために時間をとりたいと思います。 more thanのところがよくわかりません。よろしくお願いします。