• ベストアンサー

英の雑誌からの質問です

俳優のちょっとしたエピソードを紹介している雑誌からです。 ビールを少し飲んで運転しているときに、警官に追尾され、パニックになったものの、車を停めてみたら、 その警官は彼のサインがほしかっただけだった、という話なんですが。 ... He panicked because he thought he was about to be pulled for speeding. He was drinking a can of beer at the time, and rapidly it over his knees, then pulled the car to the side of the road. The cop screeched up beside him. ... 調べてみたんですが、 rapidly it over his kneesの部分の意味がよくわかりません。 itはビールで、”酔いがひざにまで回った”ぐらいの意味でしょうか? よろしくお願いします。

• 英語
  • 回答数3
  • ありがとう数2

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • swisszh00
  • ベストアンサー率40% (31/76)
回答No.1

(1) it ha "a can of beer" de (2) sugu beer-kan o Ryohiza ni nosete Good luck from Swiss !

d-moveon
質問者

お礼

on ではなく、 over だったので、いろいろと考えた挙句、 上に書いたような訳を搾り出してしまいました(^^;) 飲みかけの缶は、ひざには置けないから、 飲みきった缶を、ひざのところに乗せる、っていう イメージなんでしょうか? 回答くださいまして、ありがとうございました。 遠くスイスから回答いただき、とても感激しました!!

その他の回答 (2)

回答No.3

こんにちは、#1さんのご回答の通りです。 over-the-knee 【形】 ひざ上の、オーバーニーの http://eow.alc.co.jp/over-the-knee/UTF-8/ (証拠URL) kneeが複数になっているので、両膝の上にビールを乗せ。 rapidly it over his knees いそいで、それを両膝の上に乗せ。 ご参考までに

d-moveon
質問者

お礼

こんにちは。 わざわざリンクまで張っていただき、ありがとうございました。 わかりました。 over なんですね 助かりました。

• ocanada
  • ベストアンサー率30% (33/107)
回答No.2

動詞が抜けてますが元からそうなんでしょうか?

d-moveon
質問者

補足

はい、原文のままです。 確認しました。

関連するQ&A

• 英作文の添削をお願いします

曲が演奏されているときに突然誰かの携帯が鳴った。 Suddenly someone's cellular phone rang while one was performing a music. 雨が降っていたので彼は出かけずに家にいた。 Because it was raining,he was home instead of going out. 彼は仕事でニューヨークに行かざるをえなかった。 He had to go to N.Y. because of his business. お願いしますm(_ _)m

• 私の英作文を見ていただけませんか?

英作文を作らなければならず、考えたのですが自信がないので添削していただけないでしょうか? He was curious and explored the mysteries of the universe and black holes. For him, the black hole was a subject of study for many years. His name was spread around the world by the theory of specificity.He continued to announce new discoveries in physics until his death.He contributed greatly to science. He won numerous prestigious awards.

• to his feet (ダ・ビンチコードからの質問です。)

ルーブル館長のジャック・ソニエールが拳銃で打たれてた後のシーンです。 #Staggering to his feet#, he pictured his three murdered brethren. He though of the generations who had come before them ….of the mission with which they had all been entrusted. Unbroken chain of knowledge. Suddenly, now, despite all the precautions….despite all the fail-safes…Jacques Sauniere was the only remaining link, the sole guardian of one of the most powerful secrets ever kept. Shivering, #he pulled himself to his feet#. 訳 彼はフラフラと立ち上がりながらながら殺された3人の同胞のことを目に浮かべていた。また、いままで代々引き継いできた人々のことも頭によぎった。そしてその委ねられた使命。途切れることのない秘密の伝承。そして今、十分な対策、絶対に確実と思えるほどの仕組みにもかかわらずソニエールは、いまだかつてない最も強力な、秘密を守り伝えることのできるたったひとりの守護者となった。彼は震えながら、立ち上がった。 質問は2個所#で挟まれたところに出てくる to his feetです。 Staggering to his feet よろよろと立ち上がるといった意味だと思います。 he pulled himself to his feet to his feetが立ち上がるということを示しているので、素直にこの表現を使うと、自ら、自分の体を起こして立ち上がったといった感じでしょうか。 両方とも立ち上がるということのようですが、どうもしっくり来ません。最初に立ち上がったことが書かれています。屁理屈をいうともう立ち上がっているのに、最後にまた立ち上がるわけです。皆さんの解釈をお聞かせください。

• なぜoverを使うのか分かりません。

「彼は自分の成功のことで嬉しさに我を忘れていた。」 "He was beside himself with joy over his success." overの基本イメージは「超えて」というものだと思いますが、 上記の英文だと over をどのように訳しているのか分かりません。 overをどのような訳に相当する語として使用しているのでしょうか。

• 英作文の添削お願いします。

テレビを見てマスターズのレポートを書く宿題が出ました。自信が無いので添削お願いします。ゴルフのことも良く知らないので困ってます。よろしくお願いします。 タイトル:The First Day The chairman introduced Arnold Palmer to the patrons at the 1st tee. Then Arnold Palmer hit his tee shot to signal the start of the Masters. The game started one hour late because of the fog. There were so many spectators. There were some super shot. At the 16th hole, Ian Poulter hit his tee shot and the ball landed on the green, then the ball rolled into the hole. He got a hole in one. Patrons were very excited. It was his 11th hole in one. At the 12th hole, Zach Johnson, who is the defending champion, hit a ball on the green. The ball landed just beside the hole. At the 1st hole, Phil Mickelson hit his 3rd shot from out side of the course, and surprisingly the ball fell into a hole. He had a birdie on the 1st hole. Tiger Woods wasn’t very good. At the 7th hole, he hit his third shot, the ball landed on the rough, it seemed too strong, but the ball came back to the hole, and it stopped near the hole. At the 13th hole, he hit his second shot, and the shot was very good but the ball didn’t land on the green. He hit the ball to the left side but the ball didn’t get up the hill. At the 14th hole, his tee shot was not good and the ball didn’t land on the fairway. At the 15th hole, on his third shot, he approached the hole and the ball fell into the hole. He had an eagle at the 15th hole. At the 18th hole, he hit a ball on the green by two shots, but it was far from the hole. On the green, he hit the ball, but the ball stopped short of the hole. He had a par. He had one eagle and two bogeys without birdie; his first day score was even par.

• 英文法質問。(できれば○×よりも解説重視で・・・)

I When Bill called on his friend,he found that he had gone [ ]for two weeks. 解答はawayなのですが、 outはなぜダメなのでしょうか? II A higher crime rate exists in cities []a large percentage of unemployed. (1)where have (2)which they have (3)that having (4)that have で答えは(4)ですが、ほかの選択肢が間違っている訳と、なぜ(4)なのか教えて下さい。(特に(2)がなぜ違うのか) III Next to the striking of fire, the greatest triumph of [] civilization was the invention of wheels. で、which is calledはなぜ間違っているのですか? ちなみに答えはwhat we call です。 IV You may lend it [] wants to read it. whoeverが答えでanyoneがだめな訳を教えて下さい。 V The letter from my father was too long to read it before Ihad lunch, so Idecided not to read it then. で、最後のほうを省略してIdecided not to は間違ってますよね?I decided not to do soとかならあってますか・・??

• 英語の質問です!

Fred thought he was a very clever man, and he was particularly proud of his skill in mathematics, ュ「but as often happens with people who have perhaps too high an opinion of themselves, he was impatient, and seldom listened to what others were saying. ュ」He was particularly bad about listening to his wife, and she often complained bitterly about this. お願いします!!

• 日本語訳お願いします。

Going to the shore on the first morning of the vacation, Jerry stopped and looked at a wild and rocky bay, and then over to the crowded beach he knew so well from other years. His mother looked back at him. “Are you tired of the usual beach, Jerry?” “Oh, no!” he said quickly, but then said, “I’d like to look at those rocks down there.” “Of course, if you like.” Jerry watched his mother go, then ran straight into the water and began swimming. He was a good swimmer. He swam out over the gleaming sand and then he was in the real sea. He saw some older, local boys — men, to him — sitting on the rocks. One smiled and waved. It was enough to make him feel welcome. In a minute, he had swum over and was on the rocks beside them. Then, as he watched, the biggest of the boys dived into the water, and did not come up. Jerry gave a cry of alarm, but after a long time the boy came up on the other side of a big dark rock, letting out a shout of victory. Immediately the rest of them dived and Jerry was alone. He counted the seconds they were under water: one, two, three… fifty… one hundred. At one hundred and sixty, one, then another, of the boys came up on the far side of the rock and Jerry understood that they had swum through some gap or hole in it. He knew then that he wanted to be like them. He watched as they swam away and then swam to shore himself. Next day he swam back to the rocks. There was nobody else there. He looked at the great rock the boys had swum through. He could see no gap in it. He dived down to its base, again and again. It took a long time, but finally, while he was holding on to the base of the rock, he shot his feet out forward and they met no obstacle. He had found the hole. In the days that followed, Jerry hurried to the rocks every morning and exercised his lungs as if everything, the whole of his life, depended on it.

• The Dark Glassesからの英文です。

He pulled a sheet of blotting paper towards him. He dipped his pen in the ink and started writing on the bottom of the sheet of paper before him, comparing it from time to time with the one he had taken out of the safe. I was not surprised, but I was thrilled, when the door behind him slowly opened. It was like seeing the film of the book. Dorothy advanced on her creeping feet, and he did not hear, but formed the words he was writing, on and on. The rain pelted down regardless. She was looking crookedly, through her green glasses with her one eye, over his shoulder at the paper. Muriel SparkのThe Dark Glassesからの英文です。 主人公は15歳ぐらいの女の子です。 he=検眼士です。 Dorothyは検眼士の姉です。 窓の外から主人公が検眼士の様子を窺っている場面です。 ----------------------------------------------- ●It was like seeing the film of the book.のthe film of the bookのところがわかりません。 "本の映像"ですか? the bookと定冠詞がついているのも気になります。ここでa bookとしていないのはなぜなのでしょうか? ●She was looking crookedly, through her green glasses with her one eye, over his shoulder at the paper.について、この英文はShe was looking at the paperという繋がりになるのでしょうか? 前文は Then he took up the pen. I can still smell the rain and hear it thundering about me, and feel it dripping on my head from the bough hanging above me. He raised his eyes and looked out at the rain. It seemed his eyes rested on me, at my station between the tree and the window. I kept still and close to the tree like a hunted piece of nature, willing myself to be the colour of bark and leaves and rain. Then I realized how much more clearly I could see him than he me, for it was growing dark. となっています。 教えてください。宜しくお願いします。

•  以下の二つの例文の文法について質問です

以下の二つの例文の文法について質問です  he got down on his knees 質問1:downは、品詞としては何ですか?また意味はなんですか?。もし、品詞は副詞でその意味は『低い姿勢に』だとすると、downはいらなくて he got on his kneesだけで充分だと思うんです。  It took us all by suprise 質問2:allはusを修飾してると思うのですが、何故後ろから修飾しているのでしょうか?