• ベストアンサー

And answer it did. は And it did answer.の倒置ですよね?

And answer it did. は And it did answer.の倒置ですよね? 他にもこのような実例を教えていただけませんか? なお、前後の文脈は以下の通りです。 http://www.gearlog.com/2007/03/samsung_ssdanother_one.php It's tit for tat these days in the SSD industry. So with SanDisk's introduction of a 32-Gbyte solid-state drive last week, it was Samsung's turn yesterday to answer. And answer it did. This is one we knew was coming: A 1.8-inch, 64-Gbyte Flash-based SSD that not only doubles the capacity of the company's current offering, but is also said to be (in terms of read and write performance) 20 and 60 percent faster than Samsung's existing single-level cell (SLC) 32GB drive.

• string
  • お礼率92% (168/181)
  • 英語
  • 回答数2
  • ありがとう数2

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • trgovec
  • ベストアンサー率52% (2538/4879)
回答No.1

原形動詞+主語+do/does/did 一般動詞を強調するための倒置です。(「そして実際答えた」) あまり多く見られませんが感嘆文で次のようなものを見たことがあります。 How shine it does!

string
質問者

お礼

ご回答ありがとうございます。 Howの後に形容詞ではなくshineがくることもあるのですね。 勉強になりました。

その他の回答 (1)

回答No.2

正確には倒置ではありません。 倒置とは「助動詞+主語」の語順にすることです。 ご質問の文は VP前置(VP-Preposing)といい、助動詞より後ろの要素(助動詞を含まない)を文頭に移動させる操作です。 Ralph says that he will clean his room, and [clean his room] he will ____. Sally said that she returned my book, and [return my book] she did ____. この時、動詞と非常に深い関わりのある要素、たとえば目的語や動詞を修飾する副詞を後に残してはいけません。 ×Ralph says that he will clean his room, [clean] he will ___ his room. ×Ralph says that he will clean his room meticulously, and [clean his room] he will ___ meticulously. ○Ralph says that he will carefully clean his room, and [carefully clean his room] he will _____. ×Ralph says that he will carefully clean his room and [clean his room] he will carefully _____. 助動詞を連れて行ってはいけません。 ×Ralph says the he will clean his room, and [will clean his room] he ____. 基本的には、 ○○するといっていたが(することになっていたが) 実際にそうした(そうする) という文脈で使うのが本来で、むしろ頻度の低い構文ですが、それを逆手にとって、やたらとこの構文を使い、独特のしゃべり方として印象づけたのがだれあろう、Star Wars に出てくるヨーダです。 Begun the Clone War has. 「始まったのじゃ、クローン戦争が」(Episode II)

string
質問者

お礼

大変お詳しいご回答ありがとうございます。 なんとStar Warsにも出てくる表現でしたか。 高校時代、英文法については一通り学習したつもりでしたが、 VP前置については聞いたことがありませんでした。 大変勉強になりました。

関連するQ&A

• didが指すものは?

以下の文章の最終文のdidが分からないので訳せません。 「彼ら(彼女の教え子たち)もdidし、奇妙な偶然の一致で彼女もまたdidする。」 となるのかと思うのですが、didは何をさしているのでしょうか? When we talk about intelligence, we do not mean the ability to get a good score on a certain kind of test, or even the ability to do well at school; these are at best only indicators of something larger, deeper, and far more important. By intelligence, we mean a style of life, a way of behaving in various situations, and particularly in new, strange, and perplexing situations. The true test of intelligence is not how much we know how to do, but how we behave when we don’t know what to do. The intelligent person, young or old, meeting a new situation or problem, opens himself up to it; he tries to take in with mind and senses everything he can about it, he thinks about it, instead of about himself or what it might cause to happen to him; he grapples with it boldly, imaginatively, resourcefully, and if not confidently, at least hopefully; if he fails to master it, he looks without shame or fear at his mistakes and learns what he can from them. This is intelligence. Clearly its roots lie in a certain feeling about life, and one’s self with respect to life. Just as clearly, unintelligence is not what most psychologists seem to suppose, the same thing as intelligence only less of it. It is an entirely different style of behavior, arising out of an entirely different set of attitudes. The bright child is patient. He can tolerate uncertainty and failure, and will keep trying until he gets an answer. When all his experiments fail, he can even admit to himself and others that for the time being he is not going to get an answer. This may annoy him, but he can wait. Very often, he does not want to be told how to do the problem or solve the puzzle he has struggled with, because he does not want to be cheated out of the chance to figure it out for himself in the future. Not so the dull child. He cannot stand uncertainty or failure. To him, an unanswered question is not a challenge or an opportunity, but a threat. If he can’t find the answer quickly, it must be given to him, and quickly; and he must have answers for everything. Such are the children of whom a second-grade teacher once said, “But my children like to have questions for which there is only one answer.” They did; and by a mysterious coincidence, so did she.

• as it did

インドネシアのPorongで起きた災害についての記事です。 その災害が起きた最初の中心地の近くで 天然ガスの採掘のための工事が行われており、その工事中におきたことについての文章です。 To prevent a potentially dangerous blowout, the drillers shut vents at the surface, effectively corking the pressure inside the well. But it was to late. Water from a pressurized aquifer thousands of feet below the surface surged upward, picking up debris from a layer of mudstone as it did. この最後の as it did がわかりません。 itはなにをさすのでしょうか。 宜しくお願いします(´_`。)

• この文中での"it did"の働きを教えてください。

やはり、Louis Sacharの"holes"からです。 主人公のStanleyのアパートはゴムの焼けた、足臭いにおいがするそうで、その理由を説明している文です。 "The apartment smelled the way it did because Stanley's father was trying to invent a way to recycle old sneakers."と言う文があったのですが、この文中のthe way it didの"it did"はなぜ必要なのか教えてください。 細かいことは、飛ばして内容さえつかめればいいかとも思ったのですが、気になったので教えてください。 よろしくお願いします。

• 文頭のBut, Andを頻繁に見かけます。

絶対にご法度だと言われ、それを使うと添削ではかなりの確率で指摘されるらしく、また、英語の試験でも誤りだと見做されるらしい「文頭のBut, And」を、英語圏の文書で頻繁に見かけるのですが、これは一体どういうことでしょうか。以下にその例を挙げます。 <But> ○This world in space and time is the only world that our human sensory apparatus can apprehend. But then there is another realm which is not in space or time, and not accessible to our senses, and in which there is permanence and perfect order. This other world offers us only brief and unsatisfactory glimpses. But it is what one might call real reality.(略) These physical bodies of ours come into existence and pass away, are always imperfect, are never the same for two moments together, and are at all times highly perishable. But they are the merest and most fleeting glimpses of something that is also us and is non-material, timeless, and indestructible, something that we may refer to as the soul. ○America thinks of modernity as all good ― and it has been almost all good for America. But for the Arab world, modernity has been one failure after another.(略) Afghanistan was very clearly a base for al-Qaeda operations, and it was on that basis that United States went on the offensive in that country, deposing the Taliban regime that had supported the terrorists. But what of Pakistan, which officially opposes such terrorist groups, but is generally thought to have them operating within its territory? ○At trial, the judge instructs the jury on the relevant law, and the jury determines the facts of the case and applies the law it has been given to the facts. But because a jury's decision to acquit is far all practical purposes unreviewable, it can, if it chooses to do so, refuse to apply the law and acquit a defendant or convict on lesser charges in spite of the judge's instructions. ○If one gets out too soon, one loses a lot of potential income.(改行) But it is impossible to predict the timing of the peak, since some trivial factor that never will be discovered the exact timing of the end of the bubble. ○The city was attractive precisely because it offered freedom from the compulsory and coercive rural community. But it was destructive because it did not offere any community of its own.(略) The first to point out that humans need community is one of the geat classics of sociology, Gemeinschaft und Gesellschaft by Ferdinand Toennies, published in 1887. But the community that Toennies, over a century ago, sitill hoped to preserve ― the organic communities of traditional rural society ― is gone, and gone for good.(略) Instead of the traditional communities of history, our communities need to be free and voluntary. But they also need to offer the individual in the city an oportunity to achieve, to contribute, to matter. (略)And so has been the money. But the result have been meager everywher. (改行) But it is equally clear that the private sector, business, cannot fill that need, either. ○An interesting obsaervation is that the first, second and, to some extent, the fourth levels can be satisfied by financial reward. But such needs as recognition and personal development require managers to look for additional methods tomotivate people.(略) Financial reward is an important but complex method of motivating people. But money is not the only motivator: equally important are recognition and responsibility. <And> ○In a little over two days the world's capital markets move as much money as all of the world's economies move in a year. And on an abnormal day the world's capital markets can move much more than $1.3 trillion. ○But it was destructive because it did not offere any community of its own.(改行) And human beings need community.(略) The needs were certainly there. And so has been the money.(略) It has worked, but only in one country, Japan. And even there, it is by now clear, it is not the answer. <So> ○The problem is that what postmodernism might mean in one discipline is not necessarily compatible with what it might mean in another.

• call it inの意味

One thing I remember most vividly is, a couple of people got on at the end of the line, the bus was mostly empty. After a minute they say, "You know, there's a whole lot of blood back here." I walked back, and there's a pool of blood the likes of which I've never seen. A large pool of blood. Someone sat there, bled out, and walked off the bus. I was in shock this happened while I was driving. I called it in and was instructed to bring the bus to the yard. https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/43de9p/driving-a-city-bus-on-the-nightshift-is-the-worst-job-i-ever-loved called it inとはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• itについて

A:How did Global become the world's largest law firm? I hear they have 30 overseas bases and nearly 3,000 lawyers. B:I hear it's because the firm is so massive it's aiming to help itself a large slice of the international legal market. A:How did it become so huge so fast. 上記の会話文で、it's aimingのitとitself、it becomeのitがそれぞれ何を指しているのか不明です。お手数ですが、ご教授頂ければ幸いです。 宜しくお願いします。

• 強調・倒置

強調・倒置構文の問題です。解いて良く分からなかったものを挙げます。お願いします。 1Miho and her twin sister took the same entrance exam. Miho passed the exam, and ( ). アher sister so did イdid her sister so ウdid so her sister エso did her sister 2Alaska has been part of the US for less than 70 years, and ( ). アso is Hawaii イso has Hawaii ウHawaii is, too エAlso Hawaii is 3“Can't you get the video to work? I bet you didn't read the instructions.” “You're wrong. I ( ) read them! I just don't understand what the problem is.” アdid イdidn't ウhad エhadn't 4I didn't even know that my grandfather was dying, still less ( ) I know that he had the cancer. アthan イdid ウfrom エas 5The role played by the family differs greatly from country to coumtry. In the first place, the definition of the family is ( ) universal. アalways イas yet ウby no means エstill

• このitは 何か

中国の電力発電に関する記事です。 As a result, China is not a particularly efficient consumer of power, lagging well behind Japan, the U.S. and power, lagging well behind Japan, the U.S. and other developed countries in the amount of econimic output it generates for every gigawatt consumed. 結果としては、中国は特に効率的なエネルギーの消費国というわけではなく、経済生産高に関して、日本やアメリカや他の先進国にずいぶん遅れをとり、 のあとの it が何をさしているのかわかりません。 宜しくお願いします(´_`。)

• It did not take to long beforeとは?

It did not take to long before, I think it was 2 weeks? that is ok, thanks for sending it to me ペンパルとの内容なのですが、前回届くまで何日くらいかかった?ときいたのですが、これがその返信なのですが、前回の小包は受け取ってないと言ってるのでしょうか??? It did not take to long before が上手に訳せませんでした。 以前物々交換をしまして、その時、小型包装物(追跡がない)で送ったのですが、受け取ってくれたと思っていたのですがdid not take to long beforeというのは長い間受け取らなかったよ。という意味合いでしょうか?

• they did had it not been

以下の分で、they did 以下の文の構成がよくわかりません。 had it not been for はどうゆう構成なのでしょうか。解説お願いいたします。 Amateur science, and especially amateur astronomy, would not have taken root in postwar America quite as they did had it not been for Norman Edmund