• ベストアンサー

take off

It was delight to have him come by after church and take me off to his parsonage for Sunday dinner. 彼が教会(でのお説教)の後で(私のところに)寄って、私を牧師館の日曜日の夕食に招待してくれたので、うれしかった。 こちらで先ほどこのような訳を教えていただきました。ありがとうございます。 もう1点、疑問がございまして take me offの部分ですが、take offで招くというような意味になるのでしょうか。 よろしくお願い致します。

noname#22699
noname#22699
  • 英語
  • 回答数2
  • ありがとう数1

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • d-y
  • ベストアンサー率46% (1528/3312)
回答No.2

「招待してくれた」はかなり適当な意訳でした。 take me off to his parsonageの本来の意味から言えば、sakkieさんの「彼の牧師舘へ私を連れ出し」の方が適切だったかもしれません。 私のロジックとしては、「連れ出す」といっても、拉致するわけではなく、同意の上で連れ出すのだから、「招待する」でも間違いではないだろうということでした。

noname#22699
質問者

お礼

たびたびありがとうございます。適当な訳が見つかりませんが、文章の意味は理解できました!

その他の回答 (1)

• Hideto123
  • ベストアンサー率30% (126/420)
回答No.1

受験生なのだから、それぐらいは自分で辞書で調べなさい。 そうでなければ、合格などおぼつきませんよ。

関連するQ&A

• この場合の「by」

It was delight to have him come by after church and take me off to his parsonage for Sunday dinner. この英文ですが、この場合のbyはどう訳せばいいのでしょうか。 また、訳は以下のようでいいのでしょうか。「日曜の夕食のために彼の牧師舘へ私を連れ出し、礼拝後に彼を来させるのは愉快だ」 よろしくお願い致します。

• 日本で英語オンリーの日曜教会ってあります?

さっきTVでやってたのですが、アメリカとか欧米では日曜の教会に行って牧師の説教(preachment?)みたいなのを聞くのが普通らしいですが、 ChurchってSchoolとかと同じで無冠詞になるくらいだからI go to churchっていうのが日常の光景のようですが、話がずれましたが、日本にもそういう教会があれば行ってみたいのですが、英語オンリーで説教みたいなのが聞ける教会ってありますででしょうか? 英会話教室みたいなのだと日本語がまじったりお客様気分の生徒がいてうざそうなので(想像)、いわゆる欧米と変わらない教会が日本にそのまま移ってきたみたいなのが理想なのですが、そういうのはありますでしょうか? 説教が英語オンリーなのであれば多少の信教のヴァリアブルは大丈夫です。関東・関西圏問いません。よろしくお願い致します。

• 群動詞

よろしくお願いします。 1. Look after the children. の look after 2. I asked for his help. の ask for 3. He took off his hat. の take off 4. We look up to him as our leader. の look up to 5. Please take care of yourself. の take care of これらはみな群動詞と呼ばれるものです。 もし、これらを5文型に分類するとしたら、どう分類すれば良いでしょうか? 例えば、 1. について言うとすると、 look after を1つの塊とみて、第三文型なのでしょうか? それとも、確かに look after で他動詞の働きをするけれど、 文型の分類をするのならば、第一文型なのでしょうか? アドバイスなどありましたら宜しくお願い致します。

• take one's hat off

NHK実践ビジネス英語2017年6月号Lesson 5(2)のUedaさんの台詞で、”take one’s hat off”があります。Web検索してみると take your hat off to sb If you say that you take your hat off to someone, you mean that you admire them for an achievement: So Emma actually manages to juggle two small children and a full-time job, does she? Well, I take my hat off to her. 出典Cambridge Advanced Learner’s Dictionary & Thesaurus 日本語でも「脱帽です。頭が下がります。」ですが、帽子を被る習慣は明治時代からでしょうから、この言い回しは英語から入って来たものなのかな。 それはどちらでもいいことですが、実際に帽子を脱ぐという表現はNHKのこの講座では下記のWalkerさんの例のように”take off one’s hat”となっている気がします。一応テキストですから、わざと使い分けているのですか?それとも混同をさけるため、使い分ける習慣なのでしょうか? Ueda: I'm sure they keep you on your toes. I take my hat off to you. @2017年6月L5(2) Walker: You should definitely take off your hat when you enter someone’s house or a church. But a bar? @ 2011年8月L10(1) ※OKWAVEより補足:テーマ「実践ビジネス英語」から投稿された質問です。

• 英作文の練習

英作文の練習のためいろいろな日本語を英語にしてるんですが 11時ちょっと過ぎに家に帰るのでご飯を作って先に寝てて下さいi will come home a little bit after eleven, so you can go to bed before i get home but please dont forget to make dinner for me. 私は彼に彼は留守番電話から私のメッセージを消すべきだと言った i told him that he sould(had to) take my massage off from the answering machine.この二つあってるか教えて下さいお願いします

• come off well

Three months ago, “Sandra” started working at the same company as me. I’m not going to come off well in this story, and it’s too late to hope for Sandra to like me. come off wellはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• 英語のジョークと訳を教えてください!

Homophone When we moved to northen California, my husband began deliberating about buying a sailboat. He struggled over our budget, and nagged me for help in his decision.I told him that it was strictly his choice to make, that I was with him either way, but he had to decide. One morning, as he hurried out the door on his way to work, I waved and said, 'Bye.' He broke into a big grin and called over his shoulder, 'I was hoping you'd say that!' Him& Hymn A woman had been very faithful in attending all her church's services for many years, and the minister wanted to reward her.At the next Sunday-evening service he announced, 'For her loyalty to the church, we shall reward Miss Jones by letting her pick three hymns for the evening.' 'Oh, goody!' exclaimed Miss Jones. And, pointing to various members in the congregation, she said, 'I'll take HIM and HIM and HIM.' 回答宜しくお願いします!!

• 和訳をお願いします!

Homophone When we moved to northen California, my husband began deliberating about buying a sailboat. He struggled over our budget, and nagged me for help in his decision.I told him that it was strictly his choice to make, that I was with him either way, but he had to decide. One morning, as he hurried out the door on his way to work, I waved and said, 'Bye.' He broke into a big grin and called over his shoulder, 'I was hoping you'd say that!' Him& Hymn A woman had been very faithful in attending all her church's services for many years, and the minister wanted to reward her.At the next Sunday-evening service he announced, 'For her loyalty to the church, we shall reward Miss Jones by letting her pick three hymns for the evening.' 'Oh, goody!' exclaimed Miss Jones. And, pointing to various members in the congregation, she said, 'I'll take HIM and HIM and HIM.' 宜しくお願いします!

• pulling up his pants

Several years ago, I stayed with my aunt and uncle for a week. My aunt sent me down to the basement to tell my uncle to come upstairs for dinner. When I turned the corner, I caught him pulling up his pants in front of the computer screen. pulling up his pantsはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• もし良ければ訳してください。

The difference between France and Peru, regarding the culture: punctuality. When I arrived, I had to buy all my furnitures. For example, a man was suppose to come to install my curtains. He gave me an hour and I spent all day waiting for him. He didn't call me either. I lost my time and I was so angry that the day after I went to his workshop to tell him that he should have called me to tell me that he couldn't come. I told me that it was a lack of respect. He promised to come the day after at 8h. He was there 5 minutes before. 特に 最後の3文の I told me 以下を重点的にお願いします。