• ベストアンサー

any wnder? not any wonder?

とある文献より "It is any wonder then loss of self-esteem often follows." 日本語訳:自尊心の喪失がしばしば続いて起こるのも当たり前である。 とあるのですが、It is not any wonder...の誤りでしょうか??

noname#39823
noname#39823
  • 英語
  • 回答数3
  • ありがとう数1

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • Riverview
  • ベストアンサー率63% (227/355)
回答No.3

補足を読みましたが、この文脈ではIt is no wonder~が妥当だと思います。しかし、no wonderをany wonderと誤記する可能性は少ないので、「?」とすべきところを「.」としてしまった、と考えることもできます。 It is any wonder then that loss of self-esteem often follows? ところで、It is not any wonder~は文法的には間違いとはいえないのでしょうが、It is no wonder~が普通です。 因みに、グーグル検索ではこうなります。 It is not any wonder 137件 It is no wonder 218万件

noname#39823
質問者

お礼

出版社に問いあわせたとろ、文法的には、?を付けるか、no wonderとする方が合ってるが、ネイティブチェックでこう直されたらしいです。(@_@)エッ?って感じです。

noname#39823
質問者

補足

確かにIs it any wonder? などはよくあるみたいですので、やはり?の記入ミスなんでしょうか。

その他の回答 (2)

• Riverview
  • ベストアンサー率63% (227/355)
回答No.2

まず、あるがままで考えてみましょう。 "It is any wonder then loss of self-esteem often follows." この英文このままで、「自尊心の喪失がしばしば続いて起こるのも当たり前である」という訳が文脈から見て正しいということでしたら、"It is no wonder ~"のほうが妥当だと思います。 しかし、文献からの引用だということを考慮すると、ふつう書き手はこういう間違いはしないのではないでしょうか。それでは、"It is any wonder ~"を使って前記の日本語の意味となるような可能性はどうでしょうか。可能性は二つあります。例文を挙げて説明します。 In such circumstances I do not think it is any wonder that we emerge into the year 1972 with mounting unemployment~ 注1 この例ではI do not thinkとit is any wonderとが重なり合って結局はit is no wonderとなります。 It is any wonder I fired him? 注2 この例では疑問形を使って反語となし、「驚嘆すべきであろうか(いや、そうではない)」という意味になっています。 注1 URL: http://tinyurl.com/yc6tyv 注2 URL: http://tinyurl.com/ydy7py

noname#39823
質問者

補足

すいません、文献と書きましたが、ある受験問題集の文章なので編者の書下ろしかもしれませんm(_ _)m 段落全文はこうなっております。    Elderly women face extra problems men may not have, since aging for women in our society is viewed as a loss of attractiveness and a magnification of all the prejudices that women always come across. It is any wonder then that loss of self-esteem often follows.

• muselove
  • ベストアンサー率44% (20/45)
回答No.1

とてもわかりにくい文ですね。単文ですか? thenがあるのがとても気になります。thenがあることでその前での出来事があるためにloss of self-esteemがfollowするのですから、wonderの意味の取り方をかえて、 その意外な出来事のために自尊心の喪失が続いて起こっている。 というような考え方はどうでしょう? thenがあるのでit is not any wonderではないと思います。もしthatならば十分にありえると思いますが...。

noname#39823
質問者

補足

早速ありがとうございます、これはagismに関する文章の1段落です。  Elderly women face extra problems men may not have, since aging for women in our society is viewed as a loss of attractiveness and a magnification of all the prejudices that women always come across. It is any wonder then that loss of self-esteem often follows. これがその段落全文です。

関連するQ&A

• It is not, however から始まる文

It is not, however, in any of these meanings that 'A' is put forward here, という文章につまづいており、最初にくる、It is not, however という始まり方が、「それまでの文章を、それは違う、と否定して、しかし、ときているのかと思ったのですが、そうすると以後の文章が意味が掴めなくなり、ひょっとして、It is not, howeverというのは、なにか慣用的な意味があるのかと思い、質問させていただきました。

• 和訳をお願いします!!

Self-esteem also includes feelings of being loved.A child who is happy about an achievement but does not receive love may eventually experience low self-eteem. In a similar way, a child who feels loved but is unsure about his or her own abilities can also end up with low self-esteem. Healthy self-esteem comes when the right balance is reached.

• not の位置について

How could this not happen when it presents violent acts, often with guns and knives, as normal and common occurrences? この文について質問です。 まず、not の位置です。この位置でもOKなんでしょうか? How couldn't this happen ~ との違いは何かあるのでしょうか? 次に、when it presents violent acts の部分です。 このit は何を指しているのでしょうか?ちなみに前の文はこうです。 There is evidence that TV does in fact lead people to accept more violence in everyday life. it が指しているのはviolence なんでしょうか? またwhen it presents violent acts はどう訳せばいいでしょうか? 『暴力的な行動が現実に起こるとき』でいいでしょうか? そして最後に、often with guns and knives, の部分について質問なんですが、 この部分はコンマで区切られていますが、これは挿入でしょうか?どう訳せばいいのでしょうか? 教えてください。 お願いします。

• 心理学の英語の論文、英訳お願いします

社会心理学の英語の論文を読んでいるのですが、分析結果が解読できません… 被験者に知能課題で、成功・失敗を経験させ、そのあと達成特性・社会的特性に対する自己評価をさせる。 失敗条件において、高自尊心者は、社会的特性の自己評価を誇張することで、知能課題の失敗を補償する。 という内容です。 2(outcome)×2(self-esteem)×2(attribute type)の分散分析を行った。 The ANOVA revealed a main effect of esteem, an Outcome × Self-Esteem interaction, and a higher order Outcome × Self-esteem × Attribute Type interaction. As each of the lower order effects is qualified by three-way interaction, we limit our discussion to the higher order effect. a higher orderの意味が分からず困っています。高次、高い順序など辞書をひきましたが、結局何が高いのかわかりません。 高自尊心者って意味だったら、self-esteemのところにhighがつきますよね? どなたか、分かる方がいれば、上の英文を訳していただけると非常に助かります。 ちなみに、Brown&Smart(1991)のThe Self and Social Conductという論文の研究1の結果です。

• not~because…の構造を含む文の訳し方

He is not frightened away from doing something because it may turn out to be wrong. これは 「後から誤りであると判明するかもしれないからといって、彼は恐れをなして何かをするのをやめはしない」 という意味ですか?それとも 「彼が恐れをなして何かをしようとしないのは、後から誤りであると判明するかもしれないから、というわけではない」 のどちらですか?

• 前の文の続きですが和訳をお願いします(>_<)

Self-esteem changes as kids grow up. It is affected by a child's experiences and changing perceptions. So it is necessary to know the signs of both healthy and unhealthy self-esteem. Kids with low self-esteem may not want to try new things, and may often talk negatively about themselves: "I'm stupid," "I'll never learn how to do this", or "What's the point? Nobody cares about me anyway." They may easily get discouraged, give up quickly, or wait for somebody else to do someting for them. They tend to be overly self-critical and easily get disappointed in themselves. Kids with low self-steem see temporary problems as being forever and unchanging. That's when the sense of pessimism becomes strongest. 大変長くなってしまって申し訳ありませんが、和訳が全く分からないので もし分かる方がいればお願いします!!!

• anyが肯定文で使われていますどちらの訳が正しいで

anyが肯定文で使われていますどちらの訳が正しいですか? 宜しく御願いします。 長文の中の一文の日本語訳の問題について質問させていただきたいと思います。 お手数をおかけしますが、どうぞよろしくお願いします。 下記の文の●のanyの訳についてです。 My mother married my father largely, it seems, to help him out with his five motherless children. ●Having any herself was a secondary consideration. Yet first she had a girl, then she had another girl, and it was very nice, of course, to have them, but slightly disappointing, because she belonged to the generation and tradition that made a son the really important event; then I came, a fine healthy child. She was forty at my birth, and my father forty-nine. きっと2だとは思っているのですが、この訳の2通りで迷っています。 1、彼女自身に一人も子どもがいなかったことは、副次的な理由であった。 2、彼女自身が(結婚後に)子どもはもつことは(作ることは)、副次的な理由であった。 どちらが正しいでしょうか。直後にYet、とあるので、 ●。しかし子どもができた。 とあるので、それと対比的になるような、2の方が正しいように思います。 ジニアスをみると、anyの代名詞としての用法は5つあります。 anyを含む部分は、 She has any herselfなので、肯定文だと思いますが、 肯定文で使われるときの用法は5つのうち一つだけで、それは、次のようにあります。 ----- 意味:どれでは、どんなものでも、だれでも 例文:Come and see me any day. You can have any cake on the table Any bed is better than no bed. ---- ---- ただ、(今回はこれにはあたらないと思いますが)、語法として次のように書かれています。 一見肯定文で使われているようで実は否定文のanyがある。 I did not think that she would eat any cake. (I thought she would not eat any cakeのnotanyの位置から主節に繰り上がったもの) ---- ということは、否定の意味はないのでやはり 2、彼女自身が(結婚後に)子どもはもつことは(作ることは)、副次的な理由であった。 が、正しいでしょうか。 きっと2が正しいのでは、と思っているのですが、anyには否定のイメージが強いので、これでよいのか、自信がありません。 あと一点確認なのですが、 anyの後に補うのは、複数形のchildrenではなく、単数形のchildでよいでしょうか。 上の例文で、Any <bed> is better than no bed. と、anyの後はbedと単数になっているので、今回ももし補うとしたら、単数形のchildでよいでしょうか。 以上2点質問です。 お手数をおかけしますが、どうぞ宜しく御願いします。

• it paid for ~to not be・・・

As is true for any fish in the sea, it paid for whales to not be poor at swimming. こんな文章を見かけました。 後半部の it paid for whale to not be のところが,文法的にわからず, 非常に気になっています。 分かる方どうか教えてください。 手元に原文がなく,前後は分かりません。 スペルミスなどあったらご容赦ください。

• 翻訳よろしくお願いします。

One of main factors differentiating humans from other animals is the awareness of self: the ability to form an identity and then a value to it. In other words, you have the capacity to define who you are and then decide if you like that identity or not. The problem of self-esteem is this human capacity for judgment. It’s one thing to dislike certain colors, noises, shapes, or sensations. But when you reject parts of yourself, you greatly damage the psychological structures that literally keep you alive.  There are basically two kinds of self-esteem problems: situational and characterological. Low self-esteem that is situational tends to show up only in specific areas. For example, a person might have confidence in himself as a parent, a conversationalist, and asexual partner, but expect to fail in work situations. Low self-esteem that is characterological usually had roots in early experiences of abuse or abandonment. The sense of “wrongness” in this case is more global and tends to affect many areas of life. Situational low self-esteem is a problem ideally suited for cognitive restructuring techniques. The focus is on confronting cognitive distortions, emphasizing strengths over weaknesses, and developing specific skills for handling mistakes and criticism. Since the client is not rejecting himself or herself globally, you will find that changing maladaptive thinking patterns will significantly increase a sense of confidence and worth. Since characterological low self-esteem derives from a basic identity statement, a feeling of being bad, changing a client’s thoughts is not enough. Identifying and beginning to control the internal critical voice will help, but will not entirely undo the negative identity that gives rise to negative thoughts. The focus should be reinforced through visualization and hypnotic techniques.

• We do not always flag spoilers.

表題を翻訳してください。  こういう文章の中で出てきました。 WoWWiki is not a copy of Wikipedia - we do many things differently. The WoW community often uses slang terms, which is in part reflected here. In addition, you may occasionally find information here on some articles that is decidedly not NPOV. Wiki is not a religion here, it is a way of editing. We strive to be as "lore-neutral" as possible. We do not decide what is "official" and what is not - that is Blizzard's job. We record the known information and try to present all sides of any valid controversy. Check our lore policy for further details. We do not always flag spoilers - if new information has come out it will be added to the wiki. We aim to produce easily navigated, high quality articles.  spoilerはネタバレする記事のことでしょうか。 「Urban Dictionary」 http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=spoiler 【試訳】 私たちはネタバレする記事全てに警告文を付けているわけではありません。