現代科学によると「固体」とは存在しない

このQ&Aのポイント
  • 大学受験の和訳問題で、「固体」とは現代科学的に存在しないことが言われています。
  • 物質が私たちの目に固体として映るのは、その動きが速すぎるか、あまりにも小さいために感じられないためです。
  • 物質が「固体」として映るのは、回転する色のチャートが「白」に見えるのと同じであり、高速で回転するスピンナーが「止まっている」と感じられるのと同じです。
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

大学受験の和訳問題です。

大学受験の和訳問題なのですが、 最後の部分がわかりません。どなたかご協力お願いいたします。 To modern science, there is no "solid matter." 現代科学には、「固体」など存在しないのである。 If matter looks, "solid" to us, it does so only because its motion is too rapid or too minute to be felt. もしも物質が私たちの目に「固体」として映る場合、そう見える理由はただ単に、その動きがあまりにも速いためか、あまりにも小さいために知覚できないためである。 It is solid only in the sense that a rapidly rotating color chart is "white" or a rapidly spinning top is "standing still." → ???

noname#150377
noname#150377
  • 英語
  • 回答数4
  • ありがとう数2

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • Wendy
  • ベストアンサー率21% (25/114)
回答No.4

難しい内容ですね。英語自体はそれほど複雑ではないのに、内容が難しいからわかりにくいんですね。 2番目の文で、「その動きがあまりにも速いためか、あまりにも小さいために」知覚できないとあります。 3番目の文はそれに似た例を挙げています。 カラーチャートにはいろいろな色がありますから「白」ではありませんが、それが高速で回転しているとそのいろいろな色が混ざって白に見えます。本当は白でないものが高速な動きのために白く見えてしまうのです。また、高速で回っているこまは、ちょっと見るとじっとしているかのように見えることがありますよね?本当は動いているのに、その動きが速すぎて知覚できないのです。 この最後の文は、物体が「固体である」というのは、このカラーチャートが「白い」とか、こまが「じっとしている」というのと同じ意味でしかない、つまり実際には固体ではない、ということを言っているのです。 それにしても、現代科学ってなんか哲学みたいですね。

noname#150377
質問者

お礼

非常にわかりやすい解説をつけていただき、ありがとうございました。意味がよくわかりました。

その他の回答 (3)

• amip
  • ベストアンサー率53% (69/129)
回答No.3

topはコマですね!うっかりです。 カラーチャートについては、どうやらそのようですね。

• MayIHELPY
  • ベストアンサー率49% (335/674)
回答No.2

この場合のtopは「こま」のことではないでしょうか。 color chartは「カラーチャート」で検索可能です。

• amip
  • ベストアンサー率53% (69/129)
回答No.1

It = matter in the sense that--- = ~という意味では rotate = spin = 回転する chart = 図 still = 動かずに(副詞) 物質が固体だといえるのは、ただすばやく回転している色の図が「白色」である、もしくはすばやく回転する先端が「動かずに静止している」という意味で、なのだ。 a rapidly rotating color chart is "white"がよく分かりませんが。

noname#150377
質問者

お礼

高速回転している着色図が、「白色」に見えてしまう、 という意味かも?

関連するQ&A

• 英文和訳です。

They set gyroscopes to spinning rapidly and found that under certain circumstances, the faster the gyroscope spun the less it weighted. のthe less it weightedはどういう意味ですか?? よろしくお願いします。

• 和訳と答えをお願いします

To()matter worse,it began to snow. To()with, it's too expensive. (1)begin (2)make

• 和訳を

Mexican food is really tasty. I was born in Los Angeles, California and the Latin/ Asian culture is very big there. There is restaurant called Sushi Hana by my house and they have a rotating thing too and each dish is only $1. I wish I had a deep bath! I don't like showers because you can't relax and bathe and I don't like baths because it is too shallow! ..

• 和訳をお願いします。

海外の友人が英語について教えてくれているのですが、何と書いてくれているのでしょう? **You could also say "I think movie making is very complicated." "Movie making" = the process of making a movie. I think you might be able to say this with other things too (cake making, song making etc.)... I'm not sure though. **"Only 3 months?" isn't technically a complete sentence, but a sentence like that is fine to write in a letter or to say while talking to someone. If you wanted to actually make it complete you could say "It only took you 3 months?" You probably knew all this anyway, but I wanted to clarify just in case. The only place where it would probably matter for you to make it a complete sentence is if you were writing an English paper. **"I have listened to it." is grammatically correct, but it's much more common to simply say "I have," if someone asks you if you've done something. Just like "Only 3 months?" though, "I have" is not a complete sentence. Again, it's probably not a big deal unless you're doing something where grammar is really important.

• 和訳をお願いします!

You soon become absorbed in some book or other, and usually it is only much later 4(that) you realize you have spent far too much time there and must dash off to keep some forgotten appointment----- without buying a book, of course. This opportunity to escape the realities of everyday life is, I think, the main attraction of a bookshop. There are not many places where it is possible to do this. A music shop is very much like a bookshop. You can wander round such places to your heart's content. かっこ4のthatと同じ用法を含む文を次のなかから選んでください。 1 The fact is (that) I have nothing to do with the matter. 2 It is here (that) she was killed in a traffic accident. 3 It is so fine today (that) I feel like going out. 4 There is little hope (that) you will succeed. 5 I am sure he is poor but (that) he is sincere. 宜しくお願いします!

• 和訳をお願いします

Do you still have a missing piece? It is hard to tell from the photo but the missing part is only the part of chrisanthemum or some leaves as well?

• 英語の質問です。和訳お願いします。

I would only cosplay if I got paid to do it and if you do it too!

• 難しい英文和訳・教えてください。

次の英文が難しくて分かりません。単語の意味は調べましたが・・・ When it is a foregone conclusion that the only thing taht will be, or can be, is the things that has been, every phenomenon which refuses to adapt itself to that self-evident formula will be doubted or ignored. よろしくお願いします。

• ざっくりと和訳してください。

I've just get the razor and very dissapointed!The width of the razor is not as described 20mm or 6/8" it is ONLY 18mm or 5/8".Please exchenge for 20mm(6/8")if you have one in the similar condition or I WOULD LIKE TO RETURN THE RAZOR FOR A FULL CREDIT !

• 和訳代行 英語

(1)Though eco-tourism is promising,it must be carefully developed,because if developed too rapidly,it can destroy rainforests just as cutting down tree has,and cause damage to the environment. (2)for eco-tourism to have a positive influence aon he environment and economy,policies aare required that promote responsible development of eco-tourism,and enable local people to benefit from it. 片方でも構いません おねがいしますm(__)m