• ベストアンサー

DAと秘書の会話から

70年代の刑事ドラマで英語の学習をしております。 District Attorneyと彼の秘書Nancyの会話です。 今の時刻は1:45です。 (彼女がドアをノック) DA: Yeah, what is it? Nancy: Just wanna make sure you aren't gonna be late for your 2:00 meeting. DA: (時計を見ながら) Uh, I didn't. Get my car. I'll be down there in five minutes. Nancy: Right. ここで、DAは彼女の問いかけに対して、 I didn't. と答えていますが、 どうして過去形なんでしょうか? (仮定法でしょうか?) お時間ありましたら、お願いいたします。

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
回答No.2

こんばんは、ぱっと見て”これは何だ?”と思ったのですが、(時計を見ながら) という状況なんですね。 No1さんのご指摘のとおり、なにか省略されていると思います。例えば I didn't realize it was almost time. I didn't realize I had an appointment. など、途中まで言いかけてやめてしまっているように聞こえませんか?会話では良くありますね、私もやりますよ。

hana2005-1962
質問者

お礼

Deerhunterさん、こんにちは。 回答ありがとうございます。 >途中まで言いかけてやめてしまっているように そのようには聞こえませんでした…。 >I didn't realize it was almost time. >I didn't realize I had an appointment. いろいろ考えられますよね。 ありがとうございました。

全文を見る
すると、全ての回答が全文表示されます。

その他の回答 (2)

回答No.3

I didn't notice.か何かを短く言ったんじゃないかな。 「あ、やべえ!」「時計を見てなかった!」みたいな。 ちなみになぜいきなり過去形かというと。相手の言ったことに反論するとかなら相手の発言の時制から影響を受けるけど、(「誰だって知ってるよ(know)」「でも俺は知らないんだよ(I don't.)」)ここではそうじゃなく、DAさんの独り言なんだろうね。

hana2005-1962
質問者

お礼

こんにちは。 回答ありがとうございます。 >I didn't notice.か何かを短く言ったんじゃないかな。 >DAさんの独り言なんだろうね。 はい、よくわかりました。 ありがとうございました。

全文を見る
すると、全ての回答が全文表示されます。
回答No.1

Nancyは質問しているのではないので、何でもいいでしょう。 時計を見ていなかったでも、約束を覚えていなかったでも、知らなかったでも。 確かなのは、仮定法ではなく、単純過去形だということです。 画面を見て何が適当がご自分で想像してみてください。

hana2005-1962
質問者

お礼

こんにちは。 回答ありがとうございます。 >時計を見ていなかったでも、約束を覚えていなかったでも、知らなかったでも。 おっしゃるとおりですね。 思いつきませんでした。 ありがとうございました。

全文を見る
すると、全ての回答が全文表示されます。

関連するQ&A

• タイトルは?

(I wanna be) I wanna be with you I wanna be with you (oh yeah) I wanna be with you Wanna be with you.... (yeah) (I wanna be with you) I wanna be I wanna be with you (I wanna be ,I wanna be,I wanna be baby) (yeah) 洋楽で上記の歌を歌っている歌手名と曲名を教えてください。 たしか90年代の曲だと思うのですが。 マンディー・ムーア以外の歌手が歌っていると思うのですが。

• I wanna be with you (oh yeah)を歌う歌手は?

全く同じ質問となるのですが。 (I wanna be) I wanna be with you I wanna be with you (oh yeah) I wanna be with you Wanna be with you.... (yeah) (I wanna be with you) I wanna be I wanna be with you (I wanna be ,I wanna be,I wanna be baby) (yeah) 洋楽でこの歌詞を歌っている歌手と曲名を教えてください。 マンディー・ムーア以外の女性歌手が歌っていると思うのですが。 90年代の曲だと思うのですが。

• 自然な英語表現をご指導ください。(ルームメイト2人の会話文です)

Patty: Hey, you back early tonight. Changed your plan? Nancy: ... Patty: Um... Are you crying, by any chance? What happened to you? You wanna talk? ... Wait a second... Well... It wouldn't happen to be something about Bob? Nancy: ... How do you know that? Patty: Well, I'd say I know you better than you do yourself, my friend. So, what did he say? Nancy: ... He said... He wants to break it off... Patty: Mm-hmm. He gave you any reason? Nancy: ... He said... He's got someone else... He's been hanging around with her for the last couple of months... Patty: Mm-hmm. And you back home all the way crying... All right, what are you gonna do then? Nancy: I don't even know what to do. Patty: Listen, Nancy, I'll tell you what. You know what your problem is? As far as I know, you are really flat-out for months when it comes to him. Nancy: No, I'm not. I just... Patty: Yes, you really are. And I want you to know this is the second time. Are you gonna do this again or what? You have to think about it. Look, I don't wanna see you cry to sleep any more. Nancy: ... Patty, you may be right, but I just did everything for him... Patty: I know, I know. It's just that you need to learn how to hang back a little bit in case when you meet someone else next time, okay? Just count on me. Everything's gonna be okay. Nancy: ... You think that's gonna work? Patty: Sure. Nothing to be worried about, Nancy. All right, then, you have two choices tonight. Which do you prefer? Either spend the whole night crying alone or go for a drink together? よろしくお願いいたします。

• 文法

AとBの会話です。 A: Is it okay if I come? B: No,mate. Rather you didn't,okay? 何故 you didn't と過去形になっているのでしょうか?

• お願いします

緊急でお願いします 例 Boy=ボーイ   みたいな感じで↓のを和訳してください Oow Friends say it's fine, friends say it's good Ev'rybody says it's just like rock'n'roll I move like a cat, charge like a ram Sting like a bee, babe I wanna be your man Well it's plain to see you were meant for me, yeah I'm your boy, your 20th century toy Friends say it's fine, my friends say it's good Ev'rybody says it's just like rock'n'roll Fly like a plane, drive like a car Ball like a hen, babe I wanna be your man - oh Well it's plain to see you were meant for me, yeah I'm your toy, your 20th century boy 20th century toy, I wanna be your boy 20th century toy, I wanna be your boy 20th century toy, I wanna be your boy 20th century toy, I wanna be your boy Friends say it's fine, friends say it's good Ev'rybody says it's just like rock'n'roll Move like a cat, charge like a ram Sting like I feel, babe I wanna be your man Well it's plain to see you were meant for me, yeah I'm your toy, your 20th century boy 20th century toy, I wanna be your boy 20th century toy, I wanna be your boy 20th century toy, I wanna be your toy 20th century boy, I wanna be your toy

• フレンズこの1文!from 1-16

you might wanna run it by, uh-- So that if we went out on a date, she'd be there. ここの2つの部分がわかりません 解読お願いいたします。 ■シチュエーション■ ジョーイがフィービーの双子の姉にアタックしようとしている。 チャンドラーはフィービーにもそれを言ったほうがいいのでは、的な発言をしているシーン JOEY: She is so hot. CHANDLER: Yeah, listen. Before you do anything Joey-like, you might wanna run it by, uh-- JOEY: Pheebs? You think it would be ok if I asked out your sister? PHOEBE: Why? Why would you wanna do that? Why? JOEY: So that if we went out on a date, she'd be there.

• This is it について

マイケル・ジャクソンがロンドンでのコンサートに先立ち下記のように言っています。 "I just want to say that these will be my final show performances in London. This will be it. When I say this is it, it really means this is it," このときの this is it ですが、この会見の日本語の訳は「これが最後だよ」でした。 私は「これがロンドンでの最後のショーだよ、そうまさにそれだよ(this is it)」と解釈しました。 前からの文脈があるために「これが最後だよ」と意訳されたのだと思っていました。 なので、例えば A: Oh, this is the book you said me yesterday, isn't it? (ああ、これが昨日言ってた本だね?) B: Yeah, this is it! (うん、まさにそれなんだ) のようにも使えるかなと思いました。 しかし最近 this is it 単独でも「これが最後」と訳されています。 this is it は「これが最後の…」という決まり文句として使われるのでしょうか。

• 自然な会話文になるように、添削をお願いします。-3-

Cathy: Hey. There she is. Morning, Alice. Alice: Oh. Morning, Cathy. C: How did it go yesterday? Tell me. A: Well... It was not something I expected, but ended up great, I guess.〈g〉 C: What happened, exactly? Come on! A: Okay. We were meeting together at a movie theater... C: Oh? He didn't pick you up? He doesn't drive? A: Sure he does. It's just that his parents don't let him drive alone for now. C: Okay. Then? A: I got there a bit early, so waited for him... drinking some coffee... and when I saw him coming up, my brain stopped... The next moment, he was standing in front of me and saying "Hi", smiling. C: Wow! A: ... Well, I was just swept off my feet by his very cool line of "Hi" and ... I... C: Alice? A: I... spilled coffee on my clothes... C: Oh, no! You okay? Didn't get burned? A: No, it wasn't that hot any more, but... C: I know how you feel, Alice... I'd rather die, if I were you... A: Yeah, I was embarrassed and almost started to cry, actually. But, Cathy, he said to me this way, as he took his jacket off and handed it to me. "Don't you worry. You wanna come to my place to get it cleaned, okay? I know my mom's expecting you to come and would be more than happy to take care of this. And besides, I wanna spend some more time with you. Alice, is it okay to call my mom and ask her to pick us up?" ... I think I'm in love, Cathy... C: He's so sweet! No wonder you never looked better... Well, Alice... I wanna ask you something... He has any brothers? A: Oh, come on! お時間ありましたら、お願い致します。

• フレンズより引用 Unlessの捉え方!

モニカとイーサンがいい雰囲気になり、キスをしたあとの発言です。 MONICA: Unless-- ETHAN: What? MONICA: Uh, ah. Unless you wanna stay over? I mean, I´m going to, so... ETHAN: Yeah, I´d really like that. Unless you wanna stay over? I mean, I´m going to, so... このモニカの発言がよくわかりません。 この場合に限ったことではないのですが、Unlessの捉え方が、なかなか瞬時にイメージで取られられません。何かネイティブの感覚ですっと入ってくるいい方法があれば... 何卒、ご教示願います。

• 和訳お願いします

Are we friend relations forever? と送ったら、non, we will see i don't know if you understand or not i did not understand your question と返事がありIs it the question that I sent to you now?と送ったら、 yesとあり、"we will see"you send me? と聞いたらyes i don't wanna be friends, i wanna something moreときました。 but,You did the same answer before. It is that we are friends from now on. I understood it. と答えるとno,don't worry, i don't wanna be just friendsときました。どういう意味でしょうか?