• ベストアンサー

これでよいでしょうか?

・米国メリーランド州ロックビルに住む占星術師のブレダン・フィ-リィさんの記事が新聞に出ています。 彼いわく、アメリカは次にイランと戦争しアメリカ経済は干し上るそうです。 I've found the astrology artice on the newspaper. his name is ブレダン・フィーリーa astrologer,lives in Mainland, Rockville U.S.A. He said America is going to next conflict with Iran and could not hope stable economy. (干しあがるという表現は浮ばないのですが、何かいい表現がありましたら教えてください) 又、名前のスペルも御分りでしたら、教えてください。  

noname#17703
noname#17703
  • 英語
  • 回答数2
  • ありがとう数3

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • flyaway
  • ベストアンサー率19% (306/1541)
回答No.2

こんにちは。こんな感じでどうでしょうか: I found a newspaper article about Brendan Feeley, an astrologer in Rockville, Maryland. According to him, the next war for the U.S. will be against Iran, and this war will drain the U.S. economy. Brendan Feeleyをグーグルで検索してみたところ、Astrology に関するページがたくさん出てきたので、多分あっていると思います。 干しあがる → drain でいいと思います。Drainは、水を切る・流す(お風呂のせんを抜いて水が流れだすような状態)といった意味です。 アメリカ人が読むのであれば、Marylandといった時点で、アメリカであることははっきりわかるので、Rockville, Marylandのあとに、USAは必要ないです。

noname#17703
質問者

お礼

ありがとうございます。Brendan Feeleyさんは知られている方なのですね。さっそく検索してみます。やさしい単語ばかりなのに私は文になかなか出来ないのです。感謝!感謝!してます。

その他の回答 (1)

回答No.1

こんにちは。私も英語を勉強中の身ですが、自分なりに考えてみました。 I've found an article about Brendan Fealy,an astrologist who lives in Rockville, Maryland, the U.S. He said America is going to have another conflict(the next conflict) with Iran, and the American economy would collapse. 名前のつづりなどは完全に推測です。「ブレダン」関しては、一番近い音のよくある名前であるBrendan(ブレンダン)を当ててみました。「フィーリー」はホントに勘です。 「経済が干しあがる」→「暴落」と考え、「collapse」を使ってみました。 ほかには、「astrologer」→「astrologist」としたことと、2~3のタイプミスを直しました。 「時制の一致」とかには自信がありません。 私ももっといい訳を知りたいです・・・

noname#17703
質問者

お礼

早々にお答えくださってありがとうございます。いろいろな人に考えてもらって助かっています。又お願いします。

関連するQ&A

• これは不自然な表現ですよね?

これは不自然な表現ですよね? 1. I went to ABC Mall for shopping. 2. We live in same apartment. 3. We are same age. これらは下記のように言い換えた方が自然なんですよね? 1. I went shopping at ABC Mall. 2. He lives in my apartment building. 3. He is my age. 1.はどこかでforを使うと不自然だと言う事を聞いた事があったのですが、使っていた人がいたので(アメリカ人ではありませんが) 2.と3.は、このような表現をするとアメリカ人は不思議な顔をしてからうなずくので(そのような気がしたので)自分で調べてみました。 下の3つの表現は自然で正しい言い方ですか?

• phylloquinoneは、日本語でどういう?

これは、アメリカ食品法の一節ですが、phylloquinoneを日本語でどのように表現するのかわかりません。 Any vitamin K added shall be in the form of phylloquinone. [参考サイト] Phylloquinone is a polycyclic aromatic ketone, based on 2-methyl-1,4-naphthoquinone, with a 3-phytyl substituent. It is a fat-soluble vitamin that is stable to air and moisture but decomposes in sunlight. It is found naturally in a wide variety of green plants. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phylloquinone

• 文の解釈、語句の指す内容に関する質問です

Here, then, is joined no argument between slightly differing philosophies. This conflict strikes directly at the faith of our fathers and the lives of our sons. No principle or treasure that we hold, from the spiritual knowledge of our free schools and churches to the creative magic of free labor and capital, nothing lies safely beyond the reach of this struggle. これはアイゼンハワーからの引用ですが、http://www.bartleby.com/124/pres54.html "Here, then, is joined no argument between slightly differing philosophies." の意味がわかりません。「ここ(アメリカの"faith"が至上の価値を持つこと)には、いささかの異論をさしはさむ余地が無い」という意味でしょうか?

• Jefferson Is El #34 質問06

この文章はVOAの一節です。 学習を目的に、訳してみました。 間違いを指摘して頂きたいと思います。 よろしくお願いします。 www.manythings.org/voa/history <= Back [ Program 34 ] Next => "Anybody," he said, "even Thomas Jefferson, is better than Aaron Burr. Jefferson is not dangerous. Burr is. Jefferson's ideas of government are wrong. 「誰か、トーマス・ジェファーソンなら、アーロン・バーよりいい。ジェファーソンなら危険はない。 バーはダメだ(is dangerous). 政治に対するジェファーソンの考え方は間違っている。 But at least he is an honest man. Burr is a man without honesty and character. He will destroy America." しかし、少なくとも、彼は正直だ。 バーは誠実さや品格のない(奴だ)。 彼は、(きっと)アメリカをダメにするだろう」 The president elected in 1800 would govern in a new capital city. The national government would move from Philadelphia to Washington, a newly built city in the District of Columbia. It was on the Potomac River between the states of Maryland and Virginia. 1800年に選ばれる大統領は新首都で政治を行うことになる。 政府はフィラデルフィアからワシントン:コロンビア地区の新建設都市に 移転する。 それはメリーランド州とヴァージニア州を隔てるポトマック川沿いに ある。 *would govern; 統治するだろう→政治を行うことになる/この表現は? *“*・・?”は質問の意味です。   よろしくお願いします。

• 添削してください

また、広大な領土を有するアメリカでは、人口密度の低い地域で自らの身体や財産に危害が及びそうになった場合に警察を呼んでも到着までに相当な時間を要するため、自警する必要がある。そのためには銃は不可欠である。 このように、アメリカでは銃所持が支持されやすい条件が存在するのである。 In the United States with a vast territory, even if they call the police when their body or property are harmed in the countryside, it will take a considerable amount of time to arrive the police. That is why they need to protect our lives, and for that purpose guns are indispensable. Thus, there are conditions under which gun possession is likely to be supposed in the United States. 上の日本語をもとに英文を作成したのですが、表現の仕方がわからない箇所が何箇所があり、日本語を少し変えたりしました。 人口密度の低い地域=田舎 に変えたり 自警する=命を守る  としました。 その他もやや日本語とは違う箇所があるかもしれません。 他にもこんな表現があるよ、などあれば教えて欲しいです。 またこちらの英文の添削もして欲しいです。 よろしくお願いします。

• よろしくお願いします

My mother has always wanted to take her three children on a cruise. My brother hates boats, and my sister and I are usually too busy between work and school. I’m the only one who lives with my mom, and we also work together. She just told me she booked a weeklong cruise for the two of us! I’m in college, and this trip is scheduled in the middle of my classes. My mom didn’t even run it by me before buying tickets, which is unusual for her. If I miss more than three classes I drop a full letter grade, and going on vacation with my mother is not good enough for my professors to overlook a full week’s absence. run it byはhttps://eow.alc.co.jp/search?q=run+it+byにある意味で良いでしょうか?この文があるサイトはアメリカ人の投稿が主なのですが、よく辞書に(英話)や(豪話)とある表現が出てきます。あまりそれは当てにならないと考えられるでしょうか? あと、drop a full letter gradeとgoing on vacation with my mother is not good enough for my professors to overlook a full week’s absence. の訳を教えてください。よろしくお願いします

• ジョン・マケインのスピーチ?の和訳

フォーリン・アフェアーズ(2007年12月号)の記載されたジョン・マケイン氏の『An Enduring Peace Built on Freedom』という文章の以下の部分について質問があります。 英語版:   So long as we can succeed in Iraq -- and I believe that we can -- we must succeed. The consequences of failure would be horrific: a historic loss at the hands of Islamist extremists who, after having defeated the Soviet Union in Afghanistan and the United States in Iraq, will believe that the world is going their way and that anything is possible; a failed state in the heart of the Middle East providing sanctuary for terrorists; a civil war that could quickly develop into a regional conflict and even genocide; a decisive end to the prospect of a modern democracy in Iraq, for which large Iraqi majorities have repeatedly voted; and an invitation for Iran to dominate Iraq and the region even more. 日本語版: 成功を収めるまでわれわれはイラクにとどまるべきだ。私はそうできると考えているし、そうしなければならない。そうできなかったときの帰結があまりに甚大だからだ。イスラム過激派が、アフガニスタンにおけるソビエト軍に続いて、イラクで米軍を打倒し、われわれが歴史的な敗北を喫するとなれば、世界各国はアメリカを無視して独自の道を歩き始め、何事も達成できなくなってしまう。中東の中枢に位置するイラクが破綻国家と化せば、さらなるテロリストの聖域が誕生し、イラクにおける内戦は瞬く間に地域紛争にエスカレートしていく。大量虐殺が起きる危険さえある。そのようなことになれば、イラクに近代的な民主主義を導入するという、イラク人の多くが選挙を通じて支持してきたシナリオはついえ去り、イランが、イラクその他の周辺地域への影響力をますます高めることになる。 この訳し方がいまいちわからないので、直訳してみようと思うのですが、構造が良くわからず、訳すのに四苦八苦しています…。 どなたか直訳で訳していただけないしょうか? お願いします。

• such thing / such a thing

NHK実践ビジネス英語2019年6月Lesson 6(2)のPat McMillanさんの台詞で, there really is no such thing as a stupid question ― only stupid answers. という決まり文句clichéがでてきます。 この講座では、何度も出てくる定型表現ですが、 “no such thing”と表現されています。 Pat McMillan: You were lucky to have such a wise teacher, Steve. I'm very much of the same mind. Not being afraid to ask questions is a crucial part of the learning process. It may be a cliché, but there really is no such thing as a stupid question ― only stupid answers. @ 2019年6月 L6(2) 一方、 “such a thing”と表現されるケースもあります。 Goto Yoko: Hey, Jack and Tony. Help me out here. Is there such a thing as umbrella etiquette here in America? @ 2010年11月L15(1) Umemura: I know there's such a thing as impulse buying. But I always try to keep a cool head and think logically about the pros and cons of a given product. @ 2013年2月L22(5) こうしてみると、否定形では、 “no such thing”で、そうでない場合は、 “such a thing”でしょうか? 最も、次のような変化球もあります。 McMillan: Very true. There's no longer such a thing as “off the record” in today's hyper-connected, hyper-transparent world. @ 2015年3月L24(3) このnoは、 “no longer”で、内容は否定的でも、構文としては、肯定文というとらえ方でいいのでしょうか? ついでながら、 “such things”という言い方も当然検索されます。 Lyonsさんの場合は、主節の “Their perspective on work and their consumer behavior”を受けており、Uedaさんの場合は、 “these kinds of personal questions at work or in social settings”を受けているためだと思いますが… Lyons: The coolest thing about that generation is how its members try to focus on value. Their perspective on work and their consumer behavior is based on how such things will add value to their lives and to society as a whole. And that’s a question that never goes out of date. @ 2014年6月L6(5) Ueda: That’s not something I have to worry about. I have a very modest lifestyle. But all this begs the question: what should I say if people ask me these kinds of personal questions at work or in social settings? I don’t want to seem rude, but I'm not usually comfortable talking about such things. @ 2017年11月L16(3) 今気が付いたのですが、副詞 “really”の位置は、一般動詞の前、助動詞およびbe動詞の後が一般的かと思っていました。しかし、Pat McMillanさんの台詞では、 there really is no such thing as a stupid question ― only stupid answers. と “there really is”となっています。 調べてみると、次の例 “there certainly is”も見つかりました。 Lyons: Sure. But that could be because the Internet is a new medium, and people haven’t yet developed the critical skills needed to sort the wheat from the chaff on the Web. And there certainly is an awful lot of chaff out there in cyberspace. @ 2015年1月L20(4) “there is”構文では、be動詞の前に副詞が入るんですね。

• 長崎大学の入試英文について。

If you look at the 15 leading causes of death in the United States, men come in first in all but one, Alzheimer's disease. Men are twice as likely to die in accidents and murders, three times more likely to have AIDS, and four times more likely to commit suicide. Williams thinks that there are men who are not following the rules of healthy, lawful behavior, and that the American idea of masculinity leads them to destructive behavior.. "A good example is how men respond to stress," he says. "Women are more likely than men to seek social support, particularly from other women. Men are more likely to believe that any expression of distress shows their weakness, so they are more likely to turn to substances." 「もし、あなたがアメリカでの15の死亡原因を見るのなら、男性はアルツハイマー病とは違う。男性はその二倍が事故や殺人、三倍がエイズ、4倍が自殺によるものである。ウイリアムは健康で法律に従い、彼らを破壊的な振る舞いに導く男らしさをもったアメリカ人ではないと考えた。よい例は男性がストレスに答える方法です。彼は言った。女性は他の女性から特に社会的な支援を探す男性よりもより多くいそうである。男性はこれらの弱点に悩む表現に信じそうである。なので彼は距離をおこうとする。」 うまく訳せませんでした。この英文の訳を教えてください。よろしければ解説もよろしくお願いします。 全英文参照↓ http://virtual.parkland.edu/jfoust/online101/Angel/gifs/exp_pjt/risky_lives_of_american_men.htm