The Most Attractive and Challenging Black Rhino

このQ&Aのポイント
  • During a visit to my neighborhood zoo, I was disappointed to find it closed for renovations. As I turned to head home, my thoughts were focused on the old black rhino and whether he would be there when the zoo reopened.
  • Despite not being a popular attraction, I found the black rhino to be the most attractive and challenging to approach.
  • I have two questions regarding the fifth sentence of the passage. Firstly, I am unsure about the role of the comma after 'the most attractive'. Is it indicating parallelism or providing additional explanation? Secondly, I am uncertain about the function of the 'to' infinitive phrase 'to draw' after 'the most challenging'. Is it modifying the preceding phrase or serving a different purpose?
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

下記の英文で不明な箇所が2つあり困っています。

⑤の英文について、2点不明な点があるのでご教示して頂いきたいです。 I tried to visit my neighborhood zoo one afternoon but found it closed for renovations. As I turned and headed back toward home, I was thinking only of the old black rhino, wondering whether he'd be back when the zoo was re-opened. Judging from my enormous visits, he was never a very big draw, being, I suppose, entirely too inactive to look at for long. ⑤And yet I found him the most attractive, the most challenging to draw near to for that. 1点目は、the most attractive の後の「コンマ」はどのような役割をしているのかです。後ろの文と並列しているのか、補足説明をしているのかが分かりません。 2点目は、the most challenging to draw- の「to 不定詞」がどのような働きをしているのが分かりません。直前のthe most challengingを修飾しているのでしょうか? ご教示頂けたら幸いです。宜しくお願い致します。

• 英語
  • 回答数1
  • ありがとう数1

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • Nakay702
  • ベストアンサー率80% (9725/12097)
回答No.1

以下のとおりお答えします。 >⑤And yet I found him the most attractive, the most challenging to draw near to for that. 1点目は、the most attractive の後の「コンマ」はどのような役割をしているのかです。後ろの文と並列しているのか、補足説明をしているのかが分かりません。 ⇒「並列」と見てよいと思いますが、「言い換え」と解釈することもできますね。どう取るかによって、少し訳し方も違ってきます。 @the most attractive, the most challengingを「並列」と見なす場合:「最も魅力的で、最もやりがいがある(と思った)」。 @「言い換え」と解釈する場合:「最も魅力的だと、つまり、最もやりがいがある(と思った)」。 >2点目は、the most challenging to draw- の「to 不定詞」がどのような働きをしているのが分かりません。直前のthe most challengingを修飾しているのでしょうか? ⇒このto drawは、「to 不定詞の副詞的用法」です。形容詞+to 不定詞で「…するために・するのに~である(と思った)」といった意味を表します。 補足: この文の文型は、S(I) V(found) O(him) C(the most attractive, the most challenging to draw near to for that).の第5文型ですね。そして、このC(目的格補語)として、2つの形容詞句the most attractiveとthe most challenging とが並んでいる恰好になっています。また、この部分の訳は、「私は彼(クロサイ)が最も魅力的で、最も近づきがいがあると思った」となります。

yt0410
質問者

お礼

ありがとうございました!

関連するQ&A

• 英文の誤りの箇所

1. Most of the members remained silently during the meeting. 2. I demanded that he paid the money back to me immediately. 3. All things considering, I'm sure our decision was the best. なぜそうなるのかも教えていたただければありがたいです。

• わからない個所を教えてください。1

After a moment’s hesitation, he sits down on the flat rock beside me. ‘What were you thinking about?’ Now it is my turn to hesitate. I have become used to what to say to my parents, but perhaps this is not the right thing to say to Jamie. I look at him, and his brown eyes are interested, not suspicious. I say, ‘I was thinking with Lena.’ ‘Who’s Lena?’ (前回の終わりの部分です) ‘She’s our cook. And she looks after me, sometimes.’ He nods, and I am encouraged by the way he accepts what I’ve told him. ‘We’re going for a walk up that way, and we see a bridge, and a chapel where a man used to live. A hermit,’ I add. ‘He went away, though, into the hills.’ Jamie is frowning. ‘When?’ ‘When what?’ ‘When do you go on the walk?’ I am thrown into confusion. I don’t want Jamie to know that I used to be a liar, but the conversation is becoming like the ones I used to have – back then, when I was a liar – with my parents. I don’t know what to say. But Jamie is still looking at me, his face open and waiting for me to say something, and in the end I just say it. ‘Just now.’ ‘This morning?’ ‘Just now. Before you came.’ Suddenly I want him very much to understand. ‘That was what I was doing. Staring into space.’ ‘You mean you were imagining it?’ ‘No …’ ‘What, then?’ It is the tone of his voice that makes the difference: not impatient, just curious. I try to find the words. ‘You know when – you go somewhere—’ He nods. ‘And then you come back.’ Now he is looking puzzled. ‘What, like a walk?’ ‘Yes,’ I say. ‘Like that. That’s what I was doing.’ He is quiet for a time, then he says, ‘So you’d gone with Lena and then you came back and then you came here and I found you?’ *That’s what I was doing.のThatは斜体になっています。 ****************************************** 主人公のAlexはartistで、展示会に備えるために、幼い頃過ごしたイタリアに戻ってきています。この英文は回想シーンだと思われます。 ‘That was what I was doing. Staring into space.’ ‘You mean you were imagining it?’ ‘No …’ ここのやり取りの意味が掴めません。 「それは僕がしていたことだったんだ。空間を見つめていたんだ」 「それを想像していたっていうこと?」 「違うよ」 ?? 教えてください。お願いします。

• 英文解釈

和訳お願いします。 Although I thoroughly enjoyed my visits to the different countries I passed through on my way to Japan, I eventually became impatient to reach my destination.I had made up my mind while I was in England that I would live in Kyoto. There were several reasons for choosing Kyoto, rather than any other city in Japan. First of all, it had been spared the bombings that destroyed most other Japanese cities. Secondly, to someone like myself who was interested mainly in classical literature, it was natural to choose the place where most Japanese literature was composed for over a thousand years. Finally, the only two friends I had in Japan---one Japanese and one American--- were both living in Kyoto. I arrived in Tokyo one rainy evening in August 1953, and headed directly from the airport to Tokyo Station where I boarded the night train for Kyoto. I sent a telegram to my Japanese friend, who met me at Kyoto Station and took me to his house, where I was to live for about a month. My friend expected that I would want to rest the first day after my arrival in Japan, but I was much too excited to rest. I asked the friend to take me with him wherever he went that day. As it happened, he had business at the Suntory Whiskey Distillery between Kyoto and Osaka. My first sightseeing in Kyoto therefore took place not at a famous temple or garden, but at a distillery!

• どなたか下記の英文を訳して頂けないでしょうか

宜しくお願いいたします。 What kind of job do you have Keiko? I am very friendly but I am difficult to travel with because I have a sick heart which makes travel very complicated. I am in Greece for 2 weeks and already I have been in hospital for 2 days. Would it be helpful, if my health allows it, to go to Japan and give you English practice for a few weeks?

• 下記の英文の翻訳をお願いいたします。

自分で訳してみたのですが、どうもよく解らなくて困っています。 翻訳機でなく翻訳できる方にお願いいたします。 I understand your concern that item has returned to you by Shipping service as address description was wrong. I reviewed your order #103-2109678-8381029 and checked all the details precisely and found that the buyer address is correct and I have searched it on www.Google.com and I searched it successfully. I would like to inform you that you have to contact your postal service for correcting the details as buyer address is correct and the item is returned to you wrongly. I hope the information mentioned above helps in resolving your issue. どうぞよろしくお願いします。

• よろしくお願いします

DEAR ABBY: I am having issues with a friend who gets handed most everything he wants. I had to grow up when I was very young, pay my own way for things and take care of myself. gets handed most everything he wantsとpay my own way for thingsの意味を教えてください。よろしくお願いします

• 英文のチェックをお願い致します…!!

長くなってしまうのですが、以下の文章であっているかどなたか確認して頂けると嬉しいです。 ☆のところがとても不安な箇所ですので、そこだけでも結構です。全体通して不安ですが。 The most important thing for me is my family. And I should cherish it. First, I thank my parents very much. I owe it to my parents that I could put myself to playing tennis in my junior high school and high school days. In the second year in high school, when I really wanted to leave club activities, my parents encouraged me to continue it. ☆1 At the time, if I was easily allowed to leave club activities, ここに"今の私はないと確信する"と入れたいのですがI'm sure...から続きません、教えて頂きたいです。 When my mother came and watched games, she looked at a tournament table and checked my next competitor. ☆2 I will be dutiful to my parents because I have done what I wanted to do. Second, I also thank my grandparents. I live with them. When I come home, I'm happy that there is someone at home. So I thank my grandmother very much because my parents and my grandfather work. My grandmother cares about me and my sister. ☆3 And she came to the piano concert for me. My grandfather died when I was in the second year in high school. I couldn't believe it because he has worked and been fine until he entered hospital. ☆4 I regretted going to the hospital few times. ↑お見舞いにほとんど行けなかったのが心残りだ、というような意味にしたいのですが、間違っている気がしてなりません。教えてください。 He also came to the piano concert every year, and seemed to look forward to it. So I'm happy that I can cherish my family and feel love from my family. I wish people in the world cherish their families. 長いですがどなたかよろしくお願い致します。 酷い文章で申し訳ありません。

• 下記の英文を訳していただけないでしょうか?

下記の英文を訳していただけないでしょうか? Hello, My Name is Mrs Linda from Russia Base In Alberta,Canada.I want to make an urgent purchase for your item pasted on Yahoo Auctions for my Uncle in Nigeria.I will like to know how many of this items you have available for sale,and i will be paying you $1,000.00 USD for each Set + shipping via EMS SPEED POST to Nigeria due to it urgent need.Payment will be done through Bank Transfer.However i want you to reply me to my Email with your bank information's via (************@gmail.com) Await your quick response. Thanks

• これらの英文の訳をお願いします。

1. I tried to do my homework, but I found there was something wrong with my computer. 2. "Who did you go to the movie with?" "No one. I went by myself." 3. I think my speech went down reasonably well. How did yours go? 4.The dog is one of the two most ubiquitous and popular domestic animals in the world; the cat is the other. 5. If I ask my co-workers whether they'd mind meeting on a Sunday, I'm sure most of them will say it's out of the question.

• 英文の添削をお願いします。

こんにちは。 仕事でお世話になった人にカードを渡したく、その英文の添削をお願いします。 手紙をありがとう。とても嬉しかったよ。あなたたちと一緒に働きとても楽しかった!素敵な時間を過ごすことができました。ありがとう。 私はこの思い出を、一生、忘れないでしょう。 アメリカの沢山の情報をありがとう。旅行、楽しんでくるね。 カフェに行って、おいしいケーキを食べてくるよ。 あなたが作るパンとお菓子は、世界で一番おいしい! あなたの笑顔と優しい声が好きです。 あなたと再び会うことができる日まで、元気でお過ごしください。 Thank you for the letter. I was very glad ! I was very happy for me to work with you. I had great time. Thank you. I will not forget this memories all my life. Thank you for a lot of information on France. I will enjoy trip to America. And, I will go to the cafe, and eat a delicious cake. You make blead and sweet that the most delicious in the world. I like your pretty smile and voice. よろしくお願いします。