科学と技術のリンクは虚構的なものであり、両者に不当な信用を与えている

このQ&Aのポイント
  • 科学と技術、または科学と行政の専門知識を結びつけることは、実は虚構的な要素があると私は考えています。
  • これらの仮想的なつながりは、科学をより実践的で、その「応用」をより知性のあるものに見せかけることで、それぞれの取り組みに不当な信用をもたらしていると言えます。
  • 私たちの世代の科学史の専門家の中に私と同じように考える人は珍しくないと思います。
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

英文の邦訳

Still, I think I was not unusual among historians of science of my generation in thinking that the widespread linking of science and technology or of science and administrative expertise involved something fundamentally spurious, that these supposed connections brought undeserved credit to each enterprise by making science seem more practical and its “applications” more intellectual than either really is. 上記英文を御訳し願います。

• jubu
  • お礼率86% (919/1061)
  • 英語
  • 回答数2
  • ありがとう数4

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • Nakay702
  • ベストアンサー率80% (9728/12102)
回答No.2

>上記英文を御訳し願います。 ⇒以下のとおり、語句と訳文をお答えします。 (語句) *I think I was not unusual among ~:「私は、~の中で変わっていたとは思いません」。 *historians of science of my generation:「私と同世代の科学史研究者たち」。 *in thinking that ~:「~と考えていることで/それによって」。 *the widespread linking of science and technology or of science and administrative expertise:「科学と技術、あるいは科学と行政の専門知識を広く結びつけること」。 *involved something fundamentally spurious:「何か根本的に偽ったものを含んでいた」。 *that these supposed connections brought undeserved credit to each enterprise:「こうした結びつきがそれぞれの事業に不当な/相応しない信用をもたらすと(考えていた)」。 *by making science seem more practical:「科学を実際よりも実用的と見せかけることによって」。 *its “applications” more intellectual than either really is:「その「応用」を実際よりも知的に(見せかけることによって)」。 (訳文) 《それでも、私は、科学と技術、あるいは科学と行政の専門知識を広く結びつけることは、何か根本的に偽ったものを含んでおり、こうした結びつきが、科学を実際より実用的に、またその「応用」を実際より知的に見せかけることによって、それぞれの事業に不当な信用をもたらすと考えていましたが、それで同世代の科学史研究者の中で変わっていたとは思いません。》 *「私の考えが変わっていたとは思わない」ということは、つまり、「私と同世代の科学史研究者はそう考えるのが普通だったと思います」ということでしょう。

jubu
質問者

お礼

何時もご指導有難うございます。 大意を摑むことが出来ました。 感謝申し上げます。

その他の回答 (1)

noname#250479
noname#250479
回答No.1

Still, I think I was not unusual among historians of science of my generation in thinking that the widespread linking of science and technology or of science and administrative expertise involved something fundamentally spurious, that these supposed connections brought undeserved credit to each enterprise by making science seem more practical and its “applications” more intellectual than either really is. あまりに複雑な修飾語などが途中にたくさんあるためわかりにくい文章だと思うので、あえて従来のような訳し方ではなく、箇条書きのような訳し方をしました。 拙訳: とはいえ、私のような考え方を持つ人間は、同世代の科学史研究者の中で珍しくはなかったと思う。そのときに私がどういう考えを持っていたかというと、(1) 広く行われている科学と技術、あるいは科学と行政関係の専門知識とをつなぎ合わせることに根本的にいい加減なものが含まれているのだということ、(2) こういうふうな関係がこの二者のあいだにあると思われているため、科学が実際よりももっと実際的でその「応用」が知的であるかのように思えてしまっているため、それぞれの活動に対して分不相応な信頼を人は寄せてしまっているということ。以上2点のことを私は考えていたのであった。

jubu
質問者

お礼

ご解答・ご指導に感謝致します。 大意を摑むことが出来ました。 感謝申し上げます。

関連するQ&A

• 英文の邦訳

The described and attributed strategies of states as owners in the global network of state capital are a first step in this direction: we develop this contribution by distinguishing broadly between state strategies that show a clear interest in financial returns on investment (and thus more adaptation to transnational capitalism), and others that predominantly seek to control the firms they invest their state capital in (and thus carry the potential for a more state-controlled form of global expansion). Our results hence implicate that tackling the question of adaptation or challenge need to be answered at the level of state strategies. 上記英文のラストのOur以下を御訳しください。

• 英文の邦訳

At the same time Robert Jackson, who sits on the Securities and ExchangeCommission, and Steven Davidoff Solomon of the University of California,Berkeley, have called in a New York Times article for more transparency andaccountability and for lawmakers to take on a more active oversight role. This is amultitrillion story that will not go away. 上記英文の最後の一節をお訳し下さい。

• 英文の邦訳をお願いします。

But his critique of undersocialized (i.e. structuralist) and oversocialized (i.e. actororiented) approaches recalls AS efforts to combine a Marxist analysis of the circuits of capital with a neo-Gramscian analysis of hegemonic strategies and fractional agency. Had the AS embraced a more accessible, recognizable method such as network analysis, its impact would probably have resonated far more widely. 上記英文の邦訳をお願い致します。

• 英文の邦訳を願います。

In a scientific paper published in 1672 about “shining flesh,” Boyle inserted a narrative about the “night before,” and set up a mousetrap of his own, a fact-within-a-fact, so to speak: Yesterday, when I was about to go to bed, an amanuensis of mine, accustomed to make observations, informed me, that one of the servants of the house, going upon some occasion to the larder, was frightened by something luminous, that she saw . . . where the meat had been hung up before. Whereupon, suspending for a while my going to rest, I presently sent for the meat into my chamber, and caused it to be placed in a corner of a room capable of being made considerably dark, and then I plainly saw, both with wonder and delight, that the joint of meat did, in divers places, shine like rotten wood or stinking fish; which was so uncommon a sight, that I had presently thought of inviting you to be a sharer in the pleasure of it. (quoted in Daston and Park 1998:13) 上記英文を御訳し下さい。

• 英文の邦訳

Over the past twenty years, a widening gulf has appeared between the increasingly internationalized financing arrangements of the world’s leading corporations and the persistence of nationally compartmentalized approaches to the study of corporate control. In lieu of direct empirical evidence on corporate control at the global level, the most widespread assumption is that the globalization of ownership has taken the form of an expansion of arm’s-length, market- based arrangements traditionally prevailing in the Anglo-American economies. 上記英文中後半の,In lieu of 以下の適訳をお願い致します。

• 英文の邦訳

The SEC, in particular, is notorious for refusing to define the scope of its rules and instead issuing "menacing releases" which "hint[ ] that the laws and rules may proscribe much more than they appear to." 上記英文中の,特に,"menacing releases" の意味をお教え下さい。 宜しくお願いします。

• 英文の邦訳の添削

While seemingly entirely sensible, this formula makes an untenable assumption. It supposes that the economic and social world is given, and that the process of theorizing is a process of closer and closer approximation to that given world. In this respect, I would argue that the real challenge facing social science is to make sense of the claimed world of others, a world in which inherited theories do not seem to be able to sustain their claims of uniqueness. 上記英文の下記の試訳の添削をお願いします。 「総体的に有意義に思える一方,この定式化は,擁護できない憶測を立てる。そこでは,経済的および社会的な世界が与件であり,理論化の過程はそうした与件視された世界への漸近的接近であると言うことが真実であるように考えられている。この観点から,筆者は社会科学が直面する真の挑戦は,他者の主張する世界,その系統を引く理論が独自性を保持することができないと思われる世界の意味を解明することであると主張したい。」 以上,どうぞ宜しくお願いします。

• 英文の邦訳を願います。

Since not every sphere of human activity can be easily quantified, benchmarking efforts have a tendency to gravitate towards behaviours that can be more easily and effectively translated into a numerical form, and thereby end up generating data that is chiefly based upon a narrow subset of contributing factors. Simplification also tends to overlook context-specific idiosyncrasies and histories in favour of an emphasis upon more general properties. The inherent limitations of simplification are often further complicated by extrapolation, which refers to efforts to ‘plug the gaps’ when available data falls short. Quantification requires reliable and comprehensive information, yet reliable information can often be in short supply in many contexts and countries. Faced with persistent and significant shortfalls, benchmarkers can end up extrapolating based upon what they already know – or what they think they know – which can result in highly speculative findings that later take on the imprimatur of facts once they are translated into numerical form. 以上の英文を意訳でも結構ですので,意味内容が良く通じるように御訳し願います。 どうぞ宜しくお願いします。

• 英文の邦訳

In this vein, it is argued that the idea of a GFN(grobal financial network) is compelling as finance is just as global and networked as production, if not more so, due to the interlocking structures and interdependent nature of financial systems and institutions. 上記英文の邦訳が以下の拙訳で適切かどうか,添削願います。 「こうした具合で,GFNが金融として抗しがたいという見方が,さらにそうかは分からないが,連結構造と金融システムと制度の相互関係に起因して,まさに生産として,グローバルで,ネットワーク化されていと主張されている。」 以上宜しくお願いします。

• 英文の構造と邦訳

I have said that these contributions have transferred to financial markets some of the recent critiques of Bayesian theory of individual and market behaviour. ここでのtransferred to financial markets some of the recent critiques of Bayesian theory of individual and market behaviour.の構文と意味を教えて下さい。