Income-Based Repayment Plans for Student Loans: How They Work and Why They're Popular

このQ&Aのポイント
  • Income-based repayment plans for student loans have become increasingly popular in recent years. Under these plans, borrowers' payments are limited to 12.5 percent of their income each year. Any remaining balances are forgiven after 15 and 30 years for undergraduate and graduate students, respectively.
  • This option proposed in President Trump's Fiscal Year 2018 budget would consolidate the various income-based repayment plans into a single plan. It would also eliminate subsidized student loans, which do not accrue interest while the borrower is in school, and the Public Service Loan Forgiveness program.
  • The purpose of this policy is to reduce the financial burden on students struggling with student loans. By implementing this policy, the government can potentially save $190 billion in deficit reduction.
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

英文についての質問

(In recent years, income-based repayment plans for student loans, which limit payments to a certain percentage of income each year and forgive any remaining balances after a period of time, have become increasingly popular. This option proposed in President Trump's Fiscal Year 2018 budget would consolidate the various plans that exist into a single plan. )「←ここまでの文章は読まなくても問題ないと思います」 Borrowers' payments would be limited to 12.5 percent of income each year, and any remaining balances would be forgiven after 15 and 30 years for undergraduate and graduate students respectively. In addition, this option would eliminate subsidized student loans, which don’t accrue interest while the borrower is in school, and the Public Service Loan Forgiveness program, which forgives loans after ten years for borrowers working government or non-profit jobs. かなりの長文ですみません。 一応全文載せましたが、「」以降だけで大丈夫かと思います。 これは、学生がお金を借りる学生ローンの返済に制限を設ける、という話ですよね? Borrowers' payments~以降は、「借り手の支払いは毎年収入の12.5%に制限さる。」 その後がわからないのですが、「支払いきれなかった分は、それぞれ学部・大学院の卒業後の15年、30年後に免除される」ということでしょうか? これは学生ローンで苦しむ学生を減らすのが目的ですか? この政策を採用することで$190Billionも赤字を削減できるそうなのですが、何故なのでしょうか? 分かる方教えて欲しいです。 よろしくお願いします。

• 英語
  • 回答数2
  • ありがとう数2

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • Nakay702
  • ベストアンサー率80% (9728/12102)
回答No.2

以下のとおりお答えします。 >これは、学生がお金を借りる学生ローンの返済に制限を設ける、という話ですよね? ⇒はい、制限や免除を含む、「返済方法の変更」ですね。 >Borrowers' payments~以降は、「借り手の支払いは毎年収入の12.5%に制限さる。」 >その後がわからないのですが、「支払いきれなかった分は、それぞれ学部・大学院の卒業後の15年、30年後に免除される」ということでしょうか? ⇒はい、そのとおりです。 >これは学生ローンで苦しむ学生を減らすのが目的ですか? ⇒これで救われる人もいるかも知れませんが、むしろ関係機関が貸し出した資金を確実に回収するための方策という意味合いが強いように思います。 >この政策を採用することで$190Billionも赤字を削減できるそうなのですが、何故なのでしょうか? ⇒おもに2つの要因が関わると思います。 (1)Borrowers' payments ~ each year:「借り手の支払いは毎年収入の12.5%に制限されることになる」。 (2)In addition以下:「この選択肢では、借り手が通学校期間中は利子がつかない補助金学生ローンや、政府や非営利機関で働く者は10年後にローンを免除する公的許可プログラムを廃止することになる」。 ☆以上が、「なぜ赤字を削減できるか」の説明要因です。 このうち、特に(1)について推測されることはこうです。すなわち、おそらく、毎年(15年または30年の間)、収入の12.5%に相当する金額を《半強制的に給与から天引きする》などの形で支払わせるようになるのでしょう。このような仕組みを予定しているに違いありません。

shhisyak
質問者

お礼

ご回答ありがとうございいます。 >関係機関が貸し出した資金を確実に回収するため なるほど、そういうことなんですね! 納得しました!! 毎回回答ありがとうございます。 大変参考になっております。 今まで教えていただいたことをまとめて、今度は英文にまた変えていきます。 ですので、このような質問は今回で一応終わりだと思います。 たくさん回答いただきありがとうございます! とても勉強になりました!

その他の回答 (1)

noname#232424
noname#232424
回答No.1

こういう銭勘定は苦手だなあ。おおむかしの「経済学」は追試合格でやっと卒業だったもんな。 >「借り手の支払いは毎年収入の12.5%に制限さる。」 >「支払いきれなかった分は、それぞれ学部・大学院の卒業後の15年、30年後に免除される」ということでしょうか? そうだと思います。 >これは学生ローンで苦しむ学生を減らすのが目的ですか? 現状がよくわからないので,なんともいえません。しかし,不況で満足な職に就けず,返済地獄になる(どうせ貸し倒れになる)人を救済したいのではないでしょうか。 >この政策を採用することで$190Billionも赤字を削減できるそうなのですが、何故なのでしょうか? このくだりは引用中にありませんが,In addition 以降が関連するんじゃないでしょうか。つまり, 1.在学中は無利子とする補助金的な奨学金を廃止する 2.公務員や非営利団体職員になれば返済を猶予し,10年間勤め上げれば免除する制度を廃止する じつはぼくは,日本育英会のふるい制度で奨学金を借りたので,2のような返済猶予になり15年で免除されているのです。

shhisyak
質問者

お礼

ご回答ありがとうございます。 日本でも現在、大学卒業後の学生ローン返済で苦しむ社会人が大勢いて問題になっていますよね。 アメリカでも同じ現状なのですね…。 大学卒業しておいたほうが、いい就職先が見つかりやすい、という考えはありますし、難しい問題ですね。 話が逸れてしまいましたが…添削、大変参考になりました! ありがとうございます。

関連するQ&A

• 英文(数学?)の問題がわかりません

The anticipated income from an investment is $40000 per year for the first 5 years and $30000 per year for the remaining 5 years of life. The desired rate of return on the investment is 12 percent. The salvage value at the end of 10 years is expected to be 20 percent of the first cost. Determine the first cost that will result in the 12 percent return. Ans.:$219,700 考え方と途中式をお願い致します。

• 英文についての質問です

似たような内容の質問が続いてしまいすみません。 The Social Security normal retirement age is currently 66, and it is scheduled to gradually increase to 67 by two months per year starting in 2017. After it reaches 67 in 2022, this option would continue to increase the retirement age by two months per year so that it reaches 68 in 2028 (for people born in 1966 or later). * The normal retirement age does not determine the earliest age at which people are eligible for Social Security benefits, which would still be 62, but rather determines when retirees would receive full benefits without a penalty for early retirement. このような英文があるのですが、「退職年齢を引き上げる(66→68, 2028年までに)」ということですよね? The Normal以降がわからないのですが、これはどういうことが言われているのでしょうか? (社会保障給付に関することが書かれていると思うのですが…) これを採用することで10年後には60Billionドルの赤字が削減できているだろう、ということなのですが、なぜそうなるのでしょうか?(英文から読み取れる範囲で構いません) 分かる方、教えて欲しいです。 よろしくお願いします。

• 非課税の種類【英文】

これらの日本語の意味を教えてください。 ・payments to tax-deferred pension and savings plans ・tax exempt interest income ・untaxed portions of pensions それぞれいくらか値段を記載する欄があるのですが日本語でどのような意味でしょうか? わかる方お願いします。

• 英文についての質問

Social Security is mostly financed by a 12.4% payroll tax, split equally between employees and employers. This option would increase that rate by 1% to 13.4%, phased in over ten years. This increase would only apply to income under the current tax cap of $127,200. つまり「これは雇用主が従業員に支払う給与に対して12.4%の税金が給与から引かれている(支払っている)」ということでしょうか? しかし、給与額が127,200$を超えた場合い1%上げる、ということでしょうか? わかる方よろしくお願いします。

• 英文の邦訳の添削

In the reality of the financial portfolios of derivative products, there was a leveraging strategy based upon a short-term tactic. The 30-year prime home mortgage loans provided the interest for the securitized ten-year CDOs. Yet over time as the principle of these loans was paid down, the size of the interest payments would decrease – making any subsequent ten-year CDOs (over the 30 year-term of the mortgages) not possible to further sell. But also in the meantime, the initial CDOs were never fully paid but only financed by yearly short-term loans -- needed to be renewed each year for nearly thirty years. Thus the ‘derivatives’ were only a falsely-rated and short-term scheme, not sustainable over the long-term of the home-mortgages bonds. Sooner or later, that scheme would collapse; and it did in 2007. Morgenson and Rosner wrote: "This game worked while the mortgage mania was raging; but in 2007, when losses in subprime mortgages began to spook the markets. Investors fled SIVs in general and Citi's in particular. . . Suddenly, Citi was left with mortgages . . . (which) had to be either sold or brought back onto Citi's balance sheet at massive losses." (Morgenson and Rosner, 2011). 上記英文の下記の試訳の添削をお願いします。 「デリバティブ商品の金融ポートフォリオの現実において,短期の方策を基礎にした梃子を掛ける戦略がある。30年物の優遇住宅ローンが10年物の資産担保の証券化にとっての利益を提供する。しかしながら,これらローンの元本が時間的に即金で支払われるようになるにつれて,金利の支払いの大きさは減少し,――(住宅ローンの30年間の満期にわたる)続く10年物CDOsをさらに販売することが出来なくなる。しかし,そうこうする中でさえ,初期のCDOsは,全額払い込み済みになることは決してなく,ほぼ30年間の各年につき新たにされる必要のある――年度短期のローンによってのみ調達が可能である。それゆえ,「デリバティブ」は,誤って格付けされ,短期に構想されるだけで,長期にわたる住宅ローン債券について持続可能なものではない。遅かれ早かれ,この図式は崩壊するであろう。そして,2007年にそうなった。Morgenson and Rosnerは,次のように述べている。「このゲームは,住宅ローンの熱狂が猛威を振るう中では続いた。しかし,2007年,サブプライム住宅ローンで損失が生まれると,市場は動揺し始めた。投資家はなべて,SIVsから逃げはじめ,特にCitiから逃げはじめた。…。突如,Citiには住宅ローンが残され,…(それは)売却されるか,Citiのバランス・シートに巨額の損失を生む買戻しがなされなければならなくなった」(Morgenson and Rosner, 2011)。」 以上宜しくお願いします。

• 困っています。次の英文の和訳をお願いします。

英語の文章なのですが、私には難しくて和訳ができないです。翻訳サイト等を使わずに、和訳をお願いできないでしょうか? The Greek Memoranda strategy is organised through two EAPs and their numerous interim revisions . The first EAP was launched in March 2010 . It issued 110 billion loans (80 billion from EU countries and 30 billion from IMF ) with 5.5 per cent interest rate , for the service of the external debt and the needs of the Greek economy with a time horizon (in term of its loans ) until 2013 . Then it was assumed that Greece would not be needing support and could borrow directly on the international markets . This means that the loan program was planned for the three-year period of 2010-13. Moreover , it was planned that BD in 2014 would be less than 3 per cent of GDP . It was also predicted that for the first two years of the program the economy would shrink by about 6.6 per cent and that cumulative growth of 5.3 per cent would follow in 2012-14 .

• 英文についての質問です。

Currently, taxpayers may deduct their state and local income, sales, and property tax payments from their federal income tax. This option would eliminate the ability to deduct any of these taxes. Some supporters of eliminating or reducing this deduction claim that it mainly benefits localities that provide more services and, consequently, pay more taxes. ⇨つまり「所得、売上高、固定資産税を連邦所得税を支払っている納税者は、このうちのどれかを控除することができる」ということでしょうか? でも、そうすると、最後の文章の「結果、より多くの税金を支払う地域に多くの利益をもたらす?」に繋がらないと思うのですが…。 控除した分、納税者の満足度が上がりサービスなどを提供して、結果は地域がより良くなる、ということでしょうか? わかる方教えてほしいです。 よろしくお願いします。

• よろしくお願いします

I am a divorced 53-year-old woman. My children are grown, and I have a good career in HR and payroll. It's not my dream job, though. I applied to and was accepted into a Master of Architecture program, but I just found out they will accept only 12 credits from my associate's degree, which means I will need five years of full-time college to achieve my dream, while working full-time, of course. I'll be 58 when I graduate and probably should be planning for retirement, not taking on $100,000 in student loans. 1 I have a good career in payrollとはどのような意味でしょうか?  2 they will accept only 12 credits from my associate's degreeの意味を教えてください。 3 taking on $100,000 in student loansの意味を教えてください。 以上、よろしくお願いします

• 翻訳お願いします!!

A newly married couple with a yearly income of $130,000 would like to save money for a down payment on a new home. After paying 40% per year in taxes, they would like to save 20% of the net yearly income. How many whole years will it take for them to save a down payment of $45,000? よろしくお願いいたします!

• 英文を訳して下さい。

On 23 May 1915, Italy declared war on Austria-Hungary. Salandra had expected that Italy's entrance on the allied side would bring the war to a quick solution, but in fact it changed little, and Italy's first year in the war was marked by only very limited success. Following the success of an Austrian offensive from the Trentino in the spring of 1916, Salandra was forced to resign. After World War I, Salandra moved further to the right, and supported Mussolini's accession to power in 1922. Nine years later he died in Rome.