What Does 'Enabled' Mean in This Context?

このQ&Aのポイント
  • Learn the meaning of 'enabled' in this context and why the husband wants nothing to do with the son.
  • Discover the reasons behind the wife's enablement of her son and the health problems he faces.
  • Understand the complexity of the situation and the love the wife has for her son despite his past actions.
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

enable

My husband, "Paul," wants nothing to do with my 36-year-old son, "Alan." I admit that Alan lived with us too long and has done some terrible things, but he's my son and I love him. I've enabled him because of his health problems. He has diabetes, epilepsy and vision problems and, in the past year, has lost 80 pounds. ここでのenabledはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• corta
  • お礼率76% (4131/5367)
  • 英語
  • 回答数2
  • ありがとう数2

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
回答No.2

良い所に気が付きましたね! 確かに辞書に載っているenableでは分かりずらいように感じます。 Helping or Enabling?でのenableの意味で使われていますので、意味としては以下のenablerの2の語義で結構わかりやすく解説されているように思いました。 https://eow.alc.co.jp/search?q=enabler ようするに36歳にもなって(おそらくニート生活していて)とんでもない事(some terrible things)をしても、(尻ぬぐい等して)責任を負わせずにいつも通りに暮らせるようにしてあげて、あの子は健康上の問題があるんだから仕方がないって感じで、就職も促さずに、過ごしてきたんですよね。 そういうのをI've enabled himというのですね。 まあ、私の説明が分かりにくかったらHelping or Enablingで検索してみてくださいな、様々なサイトで分かりやすい英語で解説されていますから。

corta
質問者

お礼

ご回答ありがとうございます

その他の回答 (1)

• Nakay702
  • ベストアンサー率80% (9728/12102)
回答No.1

>ここでのenabledはどのような意味でしょうか? ⇒この動詞は、例えば、 https://eow.alc.co.jp/search?q=enable&pg=8 で見ると、目的語を補って、ほとんどの場合「~を可能にする」と訳されています。 そこで、本件の場合、enabledの目的語はhim、つまり、「糖尿病、癲癇、視力障害という健康問題を抱える息子のAlan」です。ということは、この語句の表すことは、その「生活・生命を可能にした」というニュアンスでしょう。 分かりやすくするため、該当部分に適切な語を補って訳せば、こんな感じだと思います。 I've enabled him (of his life) because of his health problems. 「彼は健康問題を抱えていたので、私が彼を(支えて彼の命・くらしを)可能にしてきました(が、80ポンドも痩せてしまいました)」。

corta
質問者

お礼

ご回答ありがとうございます

関連するQ&A

• stand to

I love my husband, but I don't like him anymore. He is disrespectful to me because I am overweight, and he has been after me for years to lose the extra pounds. He uses filthy language when he speaks to me and says it's OK because I am disrespecting him by not losing weight. I'm 58 years old, have back problems, wear a size 8 and could stand to lose a good 15 pounds. stand toはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• until 7 most nights

I am a stay-at-home mom with a 2-year-old toddler. My husband has a 13-year-old son with his ex. We have a restraining order against her after she threatened me while I was pregnant. Right now, my stepson lives with us full time and only has supervised visits with his mother. He used to be a sweet, shy kid, but now I am afraid of him. My stepson has anger issues and is 6 inches taller than me. He has cursed at me, broken plates, and left holes in walls. I don’t trust him near my daughter. My husband is trying, but he can’t be home until 7 most nights. until 7 most nightsはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• よろしくお願いします

DEAR ABBY: My 23-year-old son does not want to work and spends all his time playing video games. He's obsessed with them. He disrespects my house -- and me -- by not cleaning his room. I don't know what to do. He's my son, but he is a user and feels he's entitled to live here. He pays no bills and blows all his money on gaming. He quits every job he has. I love him and kicked him out once, but he got on Facebook and told people what bad parents we are. All he says is he wants to be happy. I think he's out of touch with reality. He has no place to go if I kick him out. What do I do? -- DAD WHO'S HAD IT IN OHIO DEAR DAD: Your son is an adult, even if he doesn't act like one. Give him a deadline to find another place to crash -- perhaps with a roommate -- and be out of there. If he says he has no money, remember that he comes up with money to blow. remember that he comes up with money to blowはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• 文法、理論的解説をお願い致します。

①I don't want to leave my son with my mother, because she gives him more candy than he can eat. ②I don't want to leave my son with my mother, because she gives him candy more than he can eat. ①が正しいのはよく分かります。しかし、何故②が誤文なのか論理的に説明できません。 お知恵をお貸し下さい。 宜しくお願い致します。

• resources

My eldest son is a 33-year-old heroin addict and has been since he was 19. It’s a horrible addiction, and at his lowest point last year he stole over $30,000 from his grandmother (my mother). Now he’s in jail facing felony charges. I’ve visited him twice, and he seems clean, which makes me happy, but my problem is that my mother wants me to help him when he gets out, and I don’t see how I can. He’s been “clean” so many times before, and he’s stolen from almost all of his family members, and I just don’t know how to trust him again. I also don’t know how long his sentence will be. He can’t stay with me; I live in a small loft with no doors and I’m very private. I let him stay once before when he was clean, but he thought I was too strict. I’m getting a lot of pressure to help him get back on his feet, and I’m being berated for not supporting him in his “time of need.” I don’t want him to be released with nowhere to go, however. I can’t afford to help him get an apartment, though my mother thinks I should. Am I a terrible parent for saying no? We live in Texas, where there are not many affordable resources. ここでのresourcesとは何のことでしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• よろしくお願いします

I have been with my husband for 20 years. I'm 43, and he's 63. Our sex life has died. He is no longer attracted to me, and he has let me know it. His love is physical, not emotional. I am not the size 4 I was when he met me. As long as my body looks like he wants it to look, he's into me. If I'm a size 8 or more, he is not at all into me. I have a hard time understanding how he can love me for how I look. Long story short, my first love has popped back into my life. I have tested the waters with him, and I'm in over my head with the way he makes me feel. I haven't slept with him yet, but I have done everything but. I have tested the waters with him, and I'm in over my head with the way he makes me feel. の和訳を教えてください。あと、everything butはどのような意味でしょうか?後に何か省略されているのでしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• よろしくお願いします

I have a 9-year-old grandson, "Bradley." He has been in and out of our lives, mainly because of the fact that his mother, "Jill," and my son, "Andrew," are not married and my son is not to have custody of Bradley at all. Jill and Bradley have mainly lived with Jill's parents. my son is not to haveはmy son will not haveということでしょうか?何か違いはあるでしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• よろしくお願いします

I am 32 and have been married to my husband, the love of my life and best friend, for the past five years. A little over a year ago I was diagnosed with a terminal illness, and currently only have about six-to-eight months left. This has been very hard, but I am starting to come to terms with the reality of the situation. My husband has been amazingly supportive of me during this time. We have no kids, and as my health has declined, he has sat with me through endless doctor appointments, hospital stays, and sleepless nights. On bad days he even has to help me bathe, and I know this has taken a toll on him. A few weeks ago while using his iPad to watch a movie, an email came in and I discovered he has been having a affair (emotional and sexual) with a co-worker for a few months now. For several days I cried, heartbroken at the betrayal, but now I feel like my husband deserves to have someone help him and support HIM through this emotional time. I have not confronted him about the affair, and were it not for the email and my subsequent snooping, I never would have known as I have not felt him pulling away from me. Do I confront my husband and tell him I understand? That although I am hurt, I forgive him and I don’t want him to feel guilty? That although I am hurtのThatはどのような役割でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• よろしくお願いします

My supervisor rarely states his desires clearly. But if I take the initiative or ask him to clarify, he makes me feel like an idiot. He is condescending and highly critical of most people. He also is a nonstop gossip. He has portrayed me to others as racist, womanizing and incompetent. He has control over my payable time and my vacation requests. He has the ear of management and lives in the same neighborhood as many of my co-workers. has the ear of managementはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• self-soothe

My wife and I had a beautiful baby boy less than a year ago. My wife has developed a bad habit of bringing our son into our bed when he cries. She refuses to let him self-soothe in his crib. self-sootheはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします