• ベストアンサー

以下の文、解説お願いします。

Despite all the warnings, people continue to consume junk food more than ever. As a result, while models and actors get thinner and, ironically, more is known about nutrition than before, America is getting fatter. 訳はわかります。 2つ目のセンテンスでmore is known aboutの部分を教えてください。 よろしくお願いします。

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
回答No.2

we know more about nutrition than before 能動態にすればこうです。 more は much の比較級で、ここでは代名詞的に「多くのこと」 比較級で「より多くのこと」 代名詞だから、主語や目的語になれます。 ここでは受動態になって、 「栄養学について以前より多くのことが、知られている」 能動態では more about ~と続く形になりますが、 受動態になると more is known about ~と離れた方が自然です。 much/more about ~と much/more は about ~にかかるようで、 名詞なので、単独で主語となります。 逆に about ~から見ると、前置詞+名詞が名詞を修飾して 「~について(の)多くのこと」と能動態ではなっていそうで、 know(n) about ~と動詞につながっている部分もあります。 とにかく、受動態になると more という代名詞と about ~は離れて、 about ~は known に続く方が自然です。

joy1995
質問者

お礼

windさんへ 能動態の文章を頂いて「ああ、なるほど!」とわかりました。 とても勉強になりました! もうばっちりです。 いつもどうもありがとうございます。 私、本当に心から感謝しています。

全文を見る
すると、全ての回答が全文表示されます。

その他の回答 (1)

• marbleshit
  • ベストアンサー率49% (5033/10253)
回答No.1

nutrition is known about more than before という文章におけるmoreを強調したいがために、 文頭に持ってきた倒置です。

joy1995
質問者

お礼

ピンとこなかったです。でも、ありがとうございます。

全文を見る
すると、全ての回答が全文表示されます。

関連するQ&A

• 以下の2つの英文の和訳をお願いします。

以下の2つの英文の和訳をお願いします。 There is much more to a language than its words. There is much more that you do know about your language which cannot so conveniently be looked up , and which you were never explicitly taught. More important , one finds that the more complex and multi-levelled the history is , and the more important the issue which it raises for today , the less it is possible to sustain a fact-value division.

• 次の2つの英文のうち、どちらが正しいか、理由とともに教えて下さい(文あ

次の2つの英文のうち、どちらが正しいか、理由とともに教えて下さい(文あくまで例ですので、内容の真偽は問わないでください)。 1.NHK is available in more than 100 countries and is particularly successful in Asian countries. 2.NHK is available in more than 100 countries and particularly successful in Asian countries.

• 「以下の英文の誤りを正せ」という問題ですが、どこが間違っているでしょう

「以下の英文の誤りを正せ」という問題ですが、どこが間違っているでしょうか。 Once a scientific finding is published , it becomes part of the public domain.Anyone can use it , and scientists have a little more to say about it than any other public-interest group.

• この文って

『海外で日本に関することを研究している人は少なくないし、日本人以上に日本のことを知っている外国人はけっして珍しくない』という文を英作するんですが。。。。。 Quite a few people research about japan in foreign countries and it's not unusual for foreign people to know more about japan than japanese people. これって通じますか?あと『決して』というのをどのように入れたらいいでしょうか?

• 以下の英文を訳して下さい。

Take a look at any crime statistics of countries around the world and Japan is usually near the bottom. For example, Japan has one of the lowest homicide rates with only about one person murdered per 200,000 people each year. This figure is about 10 times lower than that of the United States. As for Japan's two closest neighbors, it is four times lower than South Korea and 40 times lower than Russia Although there are occasionally sensational murders, clearly, Japan is a very safe country.

• 英文の解説をお願いします

Education Techniques for Lifelong Learning という英文資料を読んでいるのですが、その中で理解できない文がありました。少し長いのですが以下の文です。 In two different studies, researchers found that teachers believed adults to be significantly more intellectually curious, motivated to learn, willing to take responsibility for their learning, willing to work hard at learning, clear about what they want to learn, and concerned with the practical applications and implications of learning than were children and adolescents. 最後の ~ than were children and adolescents. という文の構造は馴染みがなく、どのように解釈したらよいのかわかりません。than の後に be 動詞というのが何かおかしな感じがしています。 比較級 more ~ than の~の部分が非常に長い文だとは思うのですが、訳を含めて解説いただければ幸いです。

• no more than

no more than とか no... less thanとか頭ぐちゃぐちゃであります。 次の文章の解説を希望します。 (1) Can frugality lead to a better quality of life? Or is it just another lifestyle - admirable in its way, perhaps, but no more admirable than a consumer lifestyle can be? 1番なんですが、but以下がわかりません。 途中まで訳してみました。 「質素であることは生活の質をよりよくするであろうか。 それとも質素であることは単なる別の生活スタイルなのだろうか。 -それなりに賞賛されるようなもので・・・ no more あたりを解説希望します。あと最後のcan beはどう訳出するべきでしょうか。 (2) Well,let's first imagine what a frugal life is. I am sparing in all that I use.I consume enough to stay healthy but no more than required to meet simple,basic needs. 途中まで訳しました。 「じゃあ、質素な生活をまず想像してみよう 私は使うものすべてを節約している。私は健康を保つのに十分なぐらいは消費するが・・・・」 no more than required あたりが謎です。文構造を中心に解説希望です。 (3) Now imagine a non-frugal life. I am less careful about what and how much I use. I consume more than is strictly needed for my basic needs. 「今度は質素じゃない生活を考えてみよう。 私は何を、どれだけ使うにはあまり気にしない。 私は自分の厳密に言って自分の基本的要求を満たすため以上のものを消費する」 これは自分は次のように考えてます thanは関係代名詞でmoreを修飾して I consume more(than is strictly needed for my basic needs). こんな感じだと思うんですがどうでしょうか。

• 和訳お願いしますm(_ _)m

Therefore, frustrating the Taliban insurgency is less about confronting the Taliban’s ideology, which was never very popular in Afghanistan, than it is about creating a more stable and legitimate Afghan state.

• パールバックの小説の一節で分からない箇所があります

パールバックの小説の一節です He smiled, thinking about his father, and milked steadily, two strong streams rushing into the pail, fresh and fragrant. The task went more easily than he had ever known it to before. 2文目にある known it to の箇所が文法的に分かりません。 he had ever known it to be easy に省略があったと考えると known it to be と be は省略しないような気がします。

• 後半のsuggestions 以下です。

NPR's stylebook specifies the "formerly" formula. But when I asked Ted Clark, the deputy supervisory senior foreign editor, what was correct, he wrote back: "The foreign desk always advises that the wording should be 'Myanmar, ALSO known as Burma.' Myanmar first, because we generally accept the name that a country/government chooses for itself, and then 'also known as Burma' because it is still known as Burma to many people there and around the world." This is not to embarrass Clark. The NPR stylebook often seems only to be suggestions honored in the breach, a chronic internal weakness. None of the naming formulas, moreover, are totally wrong. But I think that some are more right than others.