• ベストアンサー

three shoes は単数ですか?

基礎英語3 Lesson-57 に次のダイアログがあります。 Annie: Okay, Mom. I only take three pairs of shoes. Peter: Three pairs? That's six shoes. That's は That is ですか? とすれば、なぜ six shoes を単数扱いにするのですか? Those are six shoes のような気がするのですが?

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
noname#195146
noname#195146
回答No.4

仰る通りthoseで正しいのですが、thatを用いることもあります。辞書の説明では関連するのは以下でしょうか。 http://dic.yahoo.co.jp/detail?p=that&stype=0&dtype=1 >▼「数詞+複数名詞」を一括して,thoseの代わりに用いることがある:that six daysその6日間. http://www.excite.co.jp/dictionary/english_japanese/?search=that&match=&dictionary=NEW_EJJE&block=00057087&offset=0800 >When are you going to pay me back that (sum of) twenty pounds? あの 20 ポンドはいつ返してくれるのですか >《★【用法】 those twenty pounds も正しいが, that twenty pounds となるのは twenty pounds をひとまとめに考えたため》.  上記の「一括して」「ひとまとめ」というニュアンスです。本当は数えられるけど塊と見做したような感じで言っているわけです。不可算名詞のようになります。

質問者

お礼

有難うございました。 皆様のおかげで塊の意味が分かってきました。

全文を見る
すると、全ての回答が全文表示されます。

その他の回答 (5)

回答No.6

「Three pairs.」を一まとめにしているのです。または、前の文をそのまま指すと考えてもいいでしょう。

質問者

お礼

有難うございました。 塊の場合は単数扱いになることに納得しました。

全文を見る
すると、全ての回答が全文表示されます。
  • KappNets
  • ベストアンサー率27% (1557/5688)
回答No.5

英語の単復には難しいところがあります。 1. That is six shoes. 2. That's six shoes. 3. Those are six shoes. のどれが一番使われるかと言うと "2" が一番なのです。いわば文法を超えた用法なのです。 あえて理屈を付けるとすれば、後に来る単語が単数か複数か考えずに瞬間的に That's と言ってしまうことがよくあります。いまさら Those are などと言い直すより That's は単数というより単数でも複数でもない何か単復を超えた表現と考える方が良い、みたいな感覚なのです。 There's three men などという言い方もしてしまうことがあります。

質問者

お礼

有難うございました。 慣用的なところがあるのですね。

全文を見る
すると、全ての回答が全文表示されます。
  • ash_
  • ベストアンサー率65% (13/20)
回答No.3

はい、That's はThat isです。 このThatはもちろん、Three pairs (of shoes)を指しています。 しかし、これは特定したthree pairsではなくて、three pairsという概念?を抽象的に言っています。 3×2=6だよ!って言っているようなものです(笑) だから単数形になるのではないかと思います。 あくまで私(ネイティブ)の感覚です。。。違ったらすみません>< ご参考になれば幸いです!

質問者

お礼

有難うございました。 >3×2=6だよ! 私も布団のなかで is を = に置き換えれば良いのかな、と思いました。

全文を見る
すると、全ての回答が全文表示されます。
回答No.2

三つまとめて一つ、それだけのこと。 複数あるものが複数扱いになるのは、 A is ~ B is ~ C is ~ それぞれが成り立って A, B and C are ~ であって、今回はあくまでも三足集まって一つ。

質問者

お礼

有難うございました。 なんとなくわかりました。

全文を見る
すると、全ての回答が全文表示されます。
  • DJ-Potato
  • ベストアンサー率36% (692/1917)
回答No.1

Thatの指示内容は、3足の、つまり6個の靴を指すのではなく、3組の靴という表現、を指すのでしょうかね。 指示内容が概念なので、つまり不可算名詞で、単数扱いと。

質問者

お礼

有難うございました。 私、即物的人間なので概念は難しいです。

全文を見る
すると、全ての回答が全文表示されます。

関連するQ&A

• eating those words

Dear Annie: I am a 69-year-old man who, until now, only read your column periodically. Each time I read your advice to someone, I would say to myself, "Hmm, that's really good advice." I never ever thought that I would need to write to you. Well, now I am eating those words. I am eating those wordsとはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• パラグラフを書きましたが少し流れが悪い気がします

こんにちは。自分の教室についてパラグラフを書いています。(英語のテストのため)。しかし書いてみると流れや文法的におかしい所がありそうです。 気づいたところ、ひとつでもいいので、教えてください。また流れについても教えていただければ幸いです。次がパラグラフです。 There are nine sliding windows and six curtains on the outside wall which are on the right of me. Half of the curtains are better orange and the others are green.There are fourty desks and fifty picks in front of me. Four pairs of shoes, a guitar, and a coat is hanging on the picks. Finally ,there are two doors at the bottom and three doorsw at the top on the inside wall.All walls are beige colors. お願いします

• Stylish and Sophisticated

It is a well stated fact that shoes are the perfect reflection of a man's character. At workplace, well polished and stylish formal shoes( http://www.queenia.co.uk/shoes.html ) helps to give a complete look. In fact, formal shoes only makes a man look more professional and elegant. Thus, selection of perfect formal shoes for men is definitely important. There are various brands which specially design formal shoes for men. But, before selecting these shoes, you need to consider on the material of the shoes. Generally, pure leather or patent leather shoes look glamorous and stunning. But, men generally detest the idea of moving around at malls and comparing the products for a perfect pair of shoes. For them, online shopping comes as a great relief. These days with the popular option of online shoes shopping, you also need to be careful about the size of your feet. Again, when you are going for different brands, you should also be aware that different footwear companies have different standards of measurement. So, it is preferable if you take prior measurement and stick to a single brand. Again, since online stores does not give the chance of trial. So, you should understand the terms and conditions of the company. So, take care of the few important guidelines and go for online shoes shopping. Major Brands is one of the most fashionable online store which showcases a reviewed range of formal shoes for men and formal shoes for women. In addition, you can also get outfits like business wear, party wear and many more. Managed a proficient team of experts, you will definitely have a great time shopping here. In fact, with the comfortable online shoes shopping, most people these days are quickly shifting their interests to online shopping. In fact, this online store is the crucial store house of brands like Aldo, Charles & Keith and many more. Again, when it comes to fashionable accessories like sunglasses and watches, you can also get these here. It would be more appropriate to state that it is a one stop shop for fashion and style. See more at: http://www.queenia.co.uk/evening-dresses.html

• 和訳をお願いしますm(__)m

1 One can criticize the goverment, if one wants to, in a democratic country. 2 There are three ways in which a river can be crossed. 3 The sight of the hungry youth filled the ols man with pity. 4 There is no need for people to get out of their buses to cross the river. 5 They not only lived to reach land, but lived on the small island for six months. 6 I was going to leave the theater, when I met John, a friend of mine. 7 Henry and Phoebe loved each other the way people do who have lived together a long time. 8 Those whom you hate sometimes love you and those who love you you sometimes hate. 宜しくお願いしますm(__)m

• My shoes の使い方

いつもお世話になります。 英字新聞のコラムで I went shopping to buy my shoes at the department store. の「my shoes」はおかしいとありました。 何故なら、私の(所有する)靴が何故デパートにあるのか? ということです。 それでは、to buy shoes I wear とか、to buy shoes for me とかにするのでしょうか? なお、この場合もa pair of shoes とすべきですか? それとも、会話的には a shoes でも可でしょうか? or the shoes I wear とthe が必要?

• 単数!?

私は、どうも根本的な事が分かっていないようで。 ”単数”ということが分かりません。 今までの私の認識では、単数といえば、1つだけのもの。 複数と言えば、たくさんあるものでした。 でも、問題をしていて、ある疑問にぶつかりました。 Many a man has longed for fame and wealth. (多くの人が名声と富を求めた) 「many a +単数形の可算名詞」の用法 「many a +単数形の可算名詞」は単数扱であることに注意。 動詞がhas longed であることに注意。 と書いてあります。 単数であれば、have ではないのでしょうか。 どうしてhasになるのでしょうか。 どうか、アドバイスお願いします。

• なぜに単数形ですか (´・ω・`)

以下の文章は、Ashley Stanford のAsperger Syndrome and Long-Term Relationships からの引用です。 i read nearly every marriage therapy book i could get my hands on, each of them(以下略) このbook は複数形にならないのですか?

• 和訳をお願いしますorz

The scientists used powerful mathematical algorithms to find the smallest subset of these SNPs that could be used to predict eye colour accurately and found six that predicted blue and brown eye colour with just over 90% accuracy. The team report their work in Current Biology. The accuracy of the test was lower — just over 70% — for eyes of other colours. Most people have brown or blue eyes, with blue the dominant colour for those with roots in Northern Europe but brown predominating among those with ancestors from Southern Europe or from elsewhere in the world. So far, the test has been shown to be accurate only for Dutch people of European ancestry. Further work would be needed before the test could be used in other countries. The best predictive tests to date have only had an accuracy of around 80%, Kayser says. "That's not bad but it is not accurate enough for forensics," he says. The Netherlands Forensic Institute plans to use the new method in forensic case work within a year. Dutch laws allow use of DNA to predict eye colour. But Kayser notes that many countries would have to change their legislation to allow the test to be used in forensic applications. Forensic geneticist Peter de Knijff, of the Netherland's Leiden University Medical Center, says that the results will spur the race to develop more reliable genetic tests for hair and skin colour. "Those three — eye colour, hair colour, skin colour — combined with a rather accurate global test for the inference of the geographical origin of an individual will probably be built into a general package that you could use to get information about an unknown suspect," he says. The method could, in theory, also be used to predict the eye colour of a fetus — fuelling fears about 'designer' babies. "That would have different ethical and legal implications," Kayser stresses. よろしくお願いします^^;

• Happy dating!

会話文を書きました。 より自然な表現をご指導ください。 Lucy: Great movie, huh? Amy: Yeah, I'm gonna see it with him next time. I bet he'll love it. Lucy: Happy dating! I know you two are perfect together. You are so lucky to meet such a nice guy. Amy: Yeah. Besides, he sure is a laugh a minute. I like that about him. Lucy: Okay, okay. I think it's about time to leave here. Amy, where are we gonna meet up with your sweetie? Amy: Oh, sorry. He said something urgent came up, so he can't pick us up tonight. Lucy: That's all right. Let's take a taxi then. Amy: A taxi... Wait a second. I'd rather walk to a subway station. It's only a ten-minute walk from here. Lucy: Oh, come on! I don't wanna risk my life for a little money. Amy: No, I didn't mean that. Lucy, I just remember an article a couple of days ago... A taxi driver commits a crime... Lucy: ... A crime...? Amy: Look, what if a taxi driver is a bad guy and threatens us? We can't ever jump off a running car, once we get in it. Don't you think? Lucy: Well... then what if a bad guy suddenly appears and follows us on the way there? Any ideas? Amy: ... Um... What are we gonna do then? Lucy: ... Mike: Hey, guys! Surprise! Amy,Lucy: Mike!! Amy: I thought you couldn't make it. Is everything okay? Mike: Don't worry, sweetie. That's okay. I just can't work on anything until I make sure you are back safe. That's why I'm here, Amy. Amy: Oh, Mike... Mike: You two just hop in the car. I'm gonna drive you home and then get back to work. Come on, guys!

• 『The sound of summer ~』1

Ray Bradburyの『The sound of summer running』という短編からの質問です。 “Dad!” He blurted it out. “Back there in that window, those Cream-Sponge Para Litefoot Shoes . . .” His father didn’t even turn. “Suppose you tell me why you need a new pair of sneakers. Can you do that?” “Well . . .” It was because they felt the way it feels every summer when you take off your shoes for the first time and run in the grass. They felt like it feels sticking your feet out of the hot covers in wintertime to let the cold wind from the open window blow on them suddenly and you let them stay out a long time until you pull them back in under the covers again to feel them, like packed snow. The tennis shoes felt like it always feels the first time every year wading in the slow waters of the creek and seeing your feet below, half an inch further downstream, with refraction, than the real part of you above water. “Dad,” said Douglas, “it’s hard to explain.” *********************** It was because they felt the way it feels every summer when you take off your shoes for the first time and run in the grass.のところなのですが the wayは接続詞的な用法で「・・・のように」という意味ですか? theyはa new pair of sneakersですか?a new pair of sneakersは単数扱いのような気もするのですが。 it feels every summer~のitは何を指しているのでしょうか? 状況のitですか? ********************** They felt like it feels sticking your feet out of the hot covers in wintertime to let the cold wind from the open window blow on them suddenly についてですが sticking・・・・突き出している? out of the hot covers in wintertime to let the cold wind from the open window blow on them suddenly・・・開いた窓から冷たい風が突然あなたの靴に吹きかけさせるために、冬の暖かいカバーから外へ?? letは使役動詞だと思うのですが、言っていることがわかりません。 ******************* 質問が多くなってしまったので投稿を2つに分けました。 (後半部分の質問は『The sound of summer ~』2に続きます) 教えていただけるとありがたいです。