• ベストアンサー
※ ChatGPTを利用し、要約された質問です(原文:この英文の解釈がうまくいきません。)

謎のcarとは?英文の意味を解釈する方法を教えてください

このQ&Aのポイント
  • 英文の解釈がうまくいかない場合、関係代名詞や受動態を確認してみましょう。
  • この文では、her carが半分の位置にある草地の斜面にあり、フードが木の中に引っかかっている状態です。
  • 解釈する際には文型や前後の文脈を考慮し、具体的な状況をイメージすることが重要です。

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • sayshe
  • ベストアンサー率77% (4555/5904)
回答No.2

#1.です。補足拝見しました。なるほど、英語としては、half down ⇒ halfway down の方が正しいですね。しかし、解釈は、変わらないと思います。 The next morning her car was found halfway down a grassy bank with its hood stuck in the bushes. 翌朝、彼女の車は、草の生い茂った堤を半分ほど下ったところで、そのボンネット部分を茂みに突っ込んでいる所を発見されました。 <構造> The next morning --- M1(時) 翌朝 her car --- S 彼女の車は、 was found --- V 見つけられた halfway down a grassy bank --- M2 (場所) 草の多い堤防を半分下ったところで with its hood stuck in the bushes. --- M3 (状態) そのボンネットを茂みに突っ込んで <参考> * halfway down http://eow.alc.co.jp/search?q=halfway+down&ref=sa cf. * half down http://eow.alc.co.jp/search?q=half+down

全文を見る
すると、全ての回答が全文表示されます。

その他の回答 (1)

• sayshe
  • ベストアンサー率77% (4555/5904)
回答No.1

The next morning her car was found half down a grassy bank with its hood stuck in the bushes. 翌朝、彼女の車は、草の生い茂った堤を半分ほど下ったところで、そのボンネット部分を茂みに突っ込んでいる所を発見されました。 <構造> The next morning --- M1(時) 翌朝 her car --- S 彼女の車は、 was found --- V 見つけられた half down a grassy bank --- M2 (場所) 草の多い堤防を半分下ったところで with its hood stuck in the bushes. --- M3 (状態) そのボンネットを茂みに突っ込んで

eigowakaranai
質問者

補足

こちらで失礼します。質問にミスがありました・・。 The next morning her car was found half down a grassy bank with its hood stuck in the bushes. 正しくは The next morning her car was found halfway down a grassy bank with its hood stuck in the bushes. です。本当に申し訳ありません・・

全文を見る
すると、全ての回答が全文表示されます。

関連するQ&A

• 次の英文の解釈を教えてください

I found her crying when I returned to the place where she was. という文章ですが、<>を副詞節のカッコ、[]を名詞節のカッコとすると、 I found her crying <when I returned to the place <where she was>>. と解釈するのが普通(?)ですが、僕はふと、the placeを省略できるのでは?と思いました。省略すると、 I found her crying <when I returned to [where she was]>. として、returned toのtoの前置詞の目的語として、名詞節として解釈すると、文法的に成り立つことはできるのではないのでしょうか?

• どちらが正しい英文ですか?(簡単だと思います)

ふと、どちらかわからなくなりました。 能動態を受動態にする問題で My aunt found her car in the park. という能動態の文章を受動態にしたとき、正しいのはどちらでしょう? (1) Her car was found in the park by my aunt. (2) Her car was found by my aunt in the park. 要は、by~が先に来るか、in~が先に来るかの違いですが。 また、理屈等ありましたら教えてください。 ちなみに私は(2)の方だと思っています。

• 文法解釈・構造

He(s) was found(v) guilty of the crime. guilty 以下は、どのように解釈するのでしょうか?

• 英文の解釈について

英文の解釈についていくつか質問があります。 1)Medical breakthroughs have brought about great benefits for humanity as a whole. for humanity as a wholeはbenefits、brought aboutのどちらにかかっているのですか? 2)They found no place to hide. こういうno place to hideという構造は、no (place to hide)、(no place) to hideのどちらと考えるべきなのでしょうか? 3)His nephew was brought up to be modest and considerate. このtoは結果の不定詞(= ・・・, and V)で、直訳は「彼の甥は育てられて、謙虚で思いやりのある人になるようになった」と解釈するのですか? 4)Consensus is yet to be reached regarding this matter. このbe yet to do、have yet to do(まだ~していない)はどういう文法になっているのですか?さっぱりわかりません。    

• 英文の解釈

二つの英文のに関してそれぞれ質問があります。 1 "One day, as he was bathing her, a bleb of shampoo had streamed into her eye, and she had kept a hand pressed to it for the rest of the day, quailing away from him whenever he walked past." この文で"a bleb of shampoo had streamed ..." 、"and she had kept..."の部分で過去完了形が使われているのは何故でしょうか。過去形の方がしっくりくるように感じます。 2 "If, after this, you can possibly want any further aid towards knowing what Sir Lionel was, we can tell you, that in his soul 'the scientific combinations of thought cound educe no fuller harmonies of the good and the true, than lay in the primaeval pulses which floated as an atomoshpere around it!'..." この文の比較の所が理解できません。 'the scientific...'の部分を読み進んでいくと、「思考の科学的な組み合わせ(?)が「何か」より豊かな善と真実の調和を引き出すという事はない」のような解釈が浮かんできました。ですが名詞だと思っていた「何か」の部分に"lay in"が来てしまって混乱しました。この"lay"は名詞でも無さそうだし、動詞だとしても意味が分かりません。 質問内容を上手く説明できたか自信がないのですが、何卒よろしくお願いします。

• なぜこの解釈ではダメなのか?

まず下の文章はある一節からです。 I found a room at a pension.It was a really comfortable place,run bya large family. この文の「run」なのですが、ここでは勿論文章から「経営する」の使われ方なのですが、本には「run」が直前の「place」にかかると書いてあります。しかしなぜこの両者の単語の間に「,」を打つ必要があるのでしょうか?僕は「,」があったため「run」は「It」が意味上の主語である分詞構文と解釈して「It was run by~」になると解釈しました。でもこれでは本ではいけないと書いてありました。本にはこの解説として他に I knew a・・・place,run by・・・. と例文を出しており、勿論これならrunが直前のplaceにかかるのはわかります。それでこの文章と一緒の解釈なのでみたいなことが書いてあったのですが、どうもこの例文は大げさ?すぎて納得いきません。こんな例文誰が見てもrunがIにかかると解釈する人はいないと思います。 なぜ僕の解釈ではいけないのでしょうか?

• 次の英文解釈について教えてください

出所はEconomist, Jul 19th 2008, p11です。 Mr Paulson was still right to intervene: the collapse of Fannie and Freddie would have been a catastrophe. But by not formally nationalising them, he has let down taxpayers and made the same deeply uncapitalist mistake the British government initially made with Northern Rock, a failed mortgage bank it tried to promp up. 私の解釈と疑問点: ポールソン財務長官はその時点でも市場介入の正当性をもっていた。(市場介入をしなければ)FannieとFreddieの破綻は大災害をもたらしていただろう。しかし、FannieとFreddieを正式なやり方で国有化しなかったため、ポールソンは納税者を失望させたし、<<次からがよく理解できません>>非資本主義者(共産主義者?)と同じくらい深刻な失敗をした。その失敗は、イギリス政府が当初てこ入れをしようとして失敗したNorthern Rock(破綻したモーゲージ銀行)と同じ失敗である。

• 英文の意味を教えては下さいませんでしょうか?

こんにちは。 お世話になります。 英語初学者です。 英文を読んでいたら、 Wilma climed up the tree. She couldn't get the cat. Wilma couidn't get down. Wilma’s dad was cross. He put up the ladder up. Wilma climed down. Wilma’s dad climed the tree. He couldn't get the cat. Wilma’s dad was stuck. The cat jumped down. The fireman put a ladder up. という英文が有りました。 いまいちよく分らないのですが、 なぜ上から5番目の文では「He put up the ladder up.」と 「a」を使わず「the」を使っているのに、 最後の文では「The fireman put a ladder up.」を、「the」ではなく「a」を使っているのでしょうか? どなたか、教えては下さいませんでしょうか? 宜しくお願いいたします。

• 英文について

長文で申し訳ないんですが、下の文をざっくりでいいので翻訳・解説してくれませんか? 自分で翻訳サイトなどに掛けてみても、意味がよく分からなくて、、、 I am a 59-year-old Japanese, born in 1941 (Showa 16). When I was a child, many of my teachers were very scary, probably because they had experienced the war. Unlike today, corporal punishment was allowed, so it was common to be slapped or punched. This was when I was in the sixth grade of elementary school (11-12 years old). One of my classmates was a girl whose family was poor, so she and her sister shared gym clothes for gym class. One day, however, her gym class coincided with her sister's class, and she didn't have any gym clothes because she had given them to my sister. I think it was an unavoidable reason, but the teacher did not allow the girl to not bring her gym clothes even though she had such a good reason. He ordered her to take off her plain everyday clothes , telling her that she was not allowed to take gym class in plain clothes. She took off her everyday clothes and attended the PE class in her underwear, that is, wearing only a pair of panties. Her classmates pointed and laughed at her shameful appearance in just her panties. Perhaps she was poorly nourished because of her poverty, her bare breasts weren't bulging at all. The girls made fun of her flat breasts, calling it "look like men". Also, a stupid boy took down her panties and tried to show everyone where her part which must be never seen(Fortunately, this ended in an attempt) She remembers feeling so embarrassed and humiliated that she almost started to cry. But she never gave in and gave her gym clothes to her sister on another day when the classes overlapped as well. It must have been an unbearable humiliation for a girl of her age to go to class almost naked and be seen by boys and girls of her age. She was a strong girl and was able to endure it, but an ordinary girl would not have been able to. I can only hope that there will never be another educator who gives this kind of education again.

• 'closing in' の解釈

Her effrontery manner in which she punctiliously made a plan to scotch Saruman's plan was uncogitable. Which was more annoying, her plan lacking in lucidity, or that salacious photo with an eyeful woman undulating her body? Or mendacious IDs she'd come by to get past the censor net closing in, or peculating endless amount of resources at her own will? 上の文で筆者が何を言いたいのかおぼろげに理解できるのですが... "closing in" のところが意味不明です。どう解釈できますか?