The Dangers of High Altitude Climbing: A Story of Survival

このQ&Aのポイント
  • A group of climbers faces a life-threatening situation when one of their members develops severe breathing difficulty and loses consciousness at a high altitude.
  • The climbers quickly recognize the seriousness of the situation and take immediate action to get their teammate to a lower altitude.
  • The injured climber is stabilized by medical professionals and later recovers, but the incident serves as a reminder of the unpredictable nature of high-altitude conditions.
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

英文

すみません(・・;) 翻訳お願いできませんか? The winded climbers slowly ascended the icy cliff in the near darkness of 4 a.m., carefully avoiding the steep crevasses that fell off sharply to either side. They had spent the prep month at 15,000 feet. Several times each hour, Tom Benman, lead climber and expedition frontman, would call out "Everyone okay?" Emily Norman, a registered nurse and the only woman on the six-person expedition team was third in line, following her friend Mark McKinley,the least experienced climber of the group. For the last couple of days, Mark had been coughing heavily. He slowed down and pulled up to rest on a protected ledge. "You okay?" Emily asked ."Yeah... I just...can't seem to... catch my breath," gasped Mark. Emily looked at Mark, whose breathing didn't appear eased by the rest stop, and told Tom."I hink we should get him down to a lower altitude. Quickly." Mark deteriorated rapidly and lost consciousness by the time the group reached the lower camp. Emily had run ahead to call for support help, and the group was told an airlift was on its way and would be there within the hour. The camp's medical tent had some basic supplies and a resident paramedic, and he and Emily went to work stabilizing Mark with oxygen and a Gamow bag (a pressurization bag). (90 minutes later, Denali Valley Hospital) We have a 28-year-old white male, unresponsive, no prior history of pulmonary disease, who became unconscious around 15,000fee after hiking to17,000feet earlier today. His friends say he was having severe breathing diffculty prior to losing consciousness... "As the paramedic talked on, Emily looked around for the nearest phone so she could call Mark's family in case this was as serious as it looked. (Denali Valley Hospital, 8p.m.) "Well, Mark, you gave us quite a scare!" Emily smiled down at him. "I gave myself quite a scare... from what I remember at least. Most of it is pretty fuzzy. I just remember thinking that the acclimating didn't do much good! But I guess no amount of training can help with pulmonary edema ."Nope, said Emily. "This sort of thing comes out of the blue. And it's virtually impossible to predict who will develop it. High altitude pulmonary edema (HAPE) is a rare occurrence, but it can be quite serious. You need to be careful about your climbing from now on."

• 英語
  • 回答数3
  • ありがとう数1

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • ddeana
  • ベストアンサー率74% (2976/4019)
回答No.2

これはInto thin Air(邦題:空へ)の一説ですね。アメリカ留学中に、課題図書として何度も読んでは涙した思い出のある文献です。 息切れが激しい登山者たちは、両サイドに向かってものすごい角度で落込む急勾配のクレパスを注意深く避けながら、午前4時のほとんど真っ暗な中、凍った断崖をゆっくりと登った。彼らは15,000フィートでの順応期間を過ごしていた。1時間に何度もリードクラマー(※1)で遠征隊のリーダーであるトム・ベンマンは「皆、大丈夫か?」と大声をかけていた。 看護婦で6人組の遠征隊でただ1人の女性であるエミリー・ノーマンは、このグループでもっとも経験が少ないクライマーである友達のマーク・マッキンリーの後に続いて隊の3番目にいた。この2,3日マークは激しく咳き込んでいた。彼は登るスピードを落とし、風などから守られた岩棚に休む為に腰を下ろした。 「ねえ、大丈夫?」エミリーは聞いた。「ああ・・ちょっと・・息が苦しい感じがするんだ」とマークは喘いだ。エミリーはその呼吸が休憩では回復しなさそうと思われるマークを見てトムに言った。「彼をもっと(高度が)低いところに降ろすべきよ。急いで!」隊が下の方のキャンプに着くまでに、マークの症状は急激に悪化し、意識を失った。エミリーはサポートの助けを呼びに先に行き、グループは緊急用輸送機が向かっているので1時間以内には到着するだろうと話していた。 キャンプの医療テントにはいくつかの基本的な医療物資と在中の救急医療隊員がおり、彼とエミリーは酸素とガモフバック(加圧バック)でマークの症状を落ち着かせることに取り掛かった。(90分後、デナリ・バリー病院) 今朝早く17,000フィートへの登山後、15,000フィートあたりで意識を失った、28歳の白人男性、呼びかけに対する反応なし、肺疾患に既往歴なし。彼の友人達によると、意識を失う前彼はひどい呼吸困難に陥っていたということだ・・・救急医療隊員が彼について話していたので、エミリーは一番近い電話を探し、これがより深刻だった場合に備えマークの家族に連絡することが出来た。(デナリ・バレー病院 午後8時) 「ねえ、マーク。あなた本当に私たちをヒヤヒヤさせたのよ!」エミリーは彼を見ながら微笑んだ。「僕自身も本当に怖かった・・・かすかに覚えている限りだけど。ほとんどはボーッとした感じなんだ。高地順応が上手くいってなかったって考えたことだけは覚えてる!でもいくらトレーニングしたって肺水腫にはなると思うんだけどな。」「いいえ」エミリーは言った。「こういう事は突然起ることなのよ。そしてそれを発症する誰にも実際には予測不可能なんだから。高地肺水腫は滅多に起るものではないけど、ものすごく重篤になりえるの。あなたは今から自分自身の登山に対して注意深くなる必要があるのよ。」 ※1:ヒマラヤなどの登山で、ルート途中の確保地点にロープなどを設置する役目を持ったクライマーのことです。

kero1522
質問者

お礼

今回はありがとうございました。 わたしは視覚障害があり、今だにメールや文をうち書くのがやっとです。 日本語ならともかく、英語のわやくやもんだををくことは容易ではないのです なので、学校では少しみんなとおくれをかんじ、人にたよるしかないのですが意味くらいはせめてしりたいとおもい投稿しました あつかましいお願いなのですが、また質問するかもしれないのですが助けてもらえないでしょうか? お願いします(;_;)

その他の回答 (2)

• parbleu
  • ベストアンサー率0% (0/8)
回答No.3

午前4時の薄明るい中を息を切らした登山者たちは、両側にある鋭く落ち込んだ険しいクレバス群を注意深く避けながら、 ゆっくり氷壁を上っていった。 彼らは15000フィートで一ヶ月間を準備に費やし、遠征隊の先頭を行く登山者のリーダーであるトム・ベンマンは何度も全員に「みんな大丈夫か?」と呼びかけて続けていた。 エミリー・ノーマンは登録されたナースであり六人の遠征隊の中で唯一の女性であり、彼女の友達である最も経験の浅いマーク・マッキンリーに続いて、列の三番目を歩いていた。この数日間マークはひどい咳をしていた。彼はスピードが落ちていて、前を突き出た出っ張りの上で休んでいた。 「大丈夫?」 エミリーが聞いた。「ああ、ちょっと息切れしたみたいだ」あえぎながらマークが答えた。エミリーは休憩してもマークの息が収まらないのをみてトムに行った。「彼を急いで下山させたほうがいいと思うわ。」マークは急速に悪化してグループが低い場所にあるキャンプに着くまでに意識を失った。エミリーは急いで救援を求めたところ、救援機は向かっている途中で一時間以内に到着するとの知らせを受けた。キャンプの医療テントはいくらかの基本的な医療用物資と救命士を抱えていたので、 エミリーは酸素とガモーバッグ(加圧用バッグのこと)でマークの容態を安定させようとした。(90分後にはデナリバレー病院に収容された) 我々を担当したのは28歳の白人男性で、その日の朝に17000フィートを歩いたあとで、15000フィート付近で意識不明になった肺疾患の患者を診た経験なんてないし責任も持てなかった。彼の友達が言うには、彼は意識不明に陥る前に深刻な呼吸器不全に陥ったとのことだった。「救命士が言うのを聞いて、エミリーは一番近く似合った電話を探して、マークの家族にかなり深刻な事態であると告げた(デナリバレー病院、午後8時) 「よかった、マーク、相当心配したのよ!」エミリーは微笑みながら彼に言った。「ほとんど何もわからなかったので、自分でもかなり心配したよ。ほとんどよくわからないことだらけだったし。覚えていたのは高度順応がうまくいかなかったということだけだ。でも、肺浮腫を治すのにどれほどのトレーニングが必要かなんてわからないよ。」  エミリーは否定しながら言った。「この類のことは突然起きるのよ。だから、誰がどうなるのかなんて見て予測することはできないの。高度肺浮腫は稀にしか起きないけど、起きると深刻なの。これからの登山するときにはよく気をつける必要があるわね。」 (翻訳終わり) 翻訳の途中で会話文の主語が不明瞭な点がありますが、原文自体がそうなので仕方がありません。 デナリバレーという言葉から、多分アラスカの高い山に登るために、ベースキャンプを設置して、 長い時間をかけて薄い酸素に体を慣らしていく登山の話では、と推測できます。 途中で出てきたガモーバッグとは高山病を発症した患者を中に入れて、バッグに酸素をポンプで 送り込むことで、バッグのなかの低地と同じ気圧にあげて、高山病の患者の容態を安定させる寝袋のようなものです。 最後に注意しておきたいのは、私の翻訳は必ずしも、文法や単語に完全に忠実に従ったものではありません。 なぜなら、そうすると、翻訳文は日本語の文章として破綻してしまいますので。 よって、もしこれが学校の課題か何かなら、先生に問い詰められるかもしれないので、そのあたりに気をつけてください。 それにしても、英文和訳って難しいですね。 英語と日本語は、英語とフランス語などとは違い、構造からして全く別の言語なので、 学校でも、英語は英語として理解するような教育をしてほしいものですね。 私の翻訳がお役にたてたなら幸いです。それでは!

• oignies
  • ベストアンサー率20% (673/3354)
回答No.1

翻訳依頼でしたら、翻訳会社におこなってください。 ここは、好意の範囲でたすけられるものについて助ける場 だと思っています。 明らかに真剣な学習者で困っているなどの場合には、よし 、助けてやるとなりますが、その形跡のないものについて は基本おことわりです。 あなたは気づいているかどうかわかりませんが、分量とぬ きだした箇所をみただけで、ある程度の事情はつかめるの です。

関連するQ&A

• The Dark Glassesからの英文です。

Then he took up the pen. I can still smell the rain and hear it thundering about me, and feel it dripping on my head from the bough hanging above me. He raised his eyes and looked out at the rain. It seemed his eyes rested on me, at my station between the tree and the window. I kept still and close to the tree like a hunted piece of nature, willing myself to be the colour of bark and leaves and rain. Then I realized how much more clearly I could see him than he me, for it was growing dark. Muriel SparkのThe Dark Glassesからの英文です。 主人公は15歳ぐらいの女の子です。 he=検眼士です。 窓の外から主人公が検眼士の様子を窺っている場面です。 ------------------------------------------ ●It seemed his eyes rested on me, at my station ~・・・ここのmy stationとはどういう意味ですか? ●I kept still and close to the tree like a hunted piece of nature, willing myself to be the colour of bark and leaves and rain.について a hunted piece of natureとはどういう意味ですか? ●Then I realized how much more clearly I could see him than he meについて he meのつながりがわかりません。どう読むのでしょうか? 前文は He did extract one long sheet of paper, and held it up. It was typewritten with a paragraph in handwriting at the bottom on the side visible from the window. He laid it side by side with another sheet of paper which was lying on the desk. I pressed close up to the window, intending to wave and smile if I was seen, and to call out that I was sheltering from the rain which was now coming down in thumps. But he kept his eyes on the two sheets of paper. There were other papers lying about the desk; I could not see what was on them. But I was quite convinced that he had been practising handwriting on them, and that he was in the process of forging his mother's will. となっています。 教えてください。宜しくお願いします。

• 英文を訳して下さい。

The Allied forces had failed to properly reconnoitre the area and sweep it for mines. Aerial reconnaissance by aircraft from the seaplane carrier HMS Ark Royal had discovered a number of mines on 16 and 17 March but failed to spot the line of mines laid by Nusret in Eren Köy Bay. On the day of the attack civilian trawlers sweeping for mines in front of line "A" discovered and destroyed three mines in an area thought to be clear, before the trawlers withdrew under fire. This information was not passed on to de Robeck. At 13:54, Bouvet—having made a turn to starboard into Eren Köy Bay—struck a mine, capsized and sank within a couple of minutes, killing 639 crewmen, only 48 survivors being rescued. At first it appeared that the ship had been hit in a magazine and de Robeck thought that the ship had struck a floating mine or been torpedoed. The British pressed on with the attack. Around 16:00, Inflexible began to withdraw and struck a mine near where Bouvet had sunk killing thirty crewmen and flooding the ship with 1,600 long tons (1,600 t) of water. The battlecruiser remained afloat and eventually beached on the island of Bozcaada (Tenedos) and temporarily repaired with a coffer dam. Irresistible was the next to be mined and as it began to drift, the crew were taken off. De Robeck told Ocean to take Irresistible under tow but the water was deemed too shallow to make an approach. At 18:05, Ocean struck a mine which jammed the steering gear leaving the ship adrift. The abandoned battleships were still floating when the British withdrew but when a destroyer commanded by Commodore Roger Keyes returned to tow or sink the vessels, they could not be found despite a 4-hour search.[49]In 1934, Keyes wrote that The fear of their fire was actually the deciding factor of the fortunes of the day. For five hours the [destroyer] Wear and picket boats had experienced, quite unperturbed and without any loss, a far more intense fire from them than the sweepers encountered... the latter could not be induced to face it, and sweep ahead of the ships in 'B' line.... I had the almost indelible impression that we were in the presence of a beaten foe. I thought he was beaten at 2 pm. I knew he was beaten at 4 pm — and at midnight I knew with still greater clarity that he was absolutely beaten; and it only remained for us to organise a proper sweeping force and devise some means of dealing with drifting mines to reap the fruits of our efforts. — Keyes

After lunch, since the Eng. Lit. people had gone off to play tennis, she tacked on to me and we walked to the lake across the lawns, past the rhododendrons. This lake had once been the scene of a love-mad duchess's death. ".....during the war. Before that I was in general practice. It's strange," she said, "how I came to take up psychology. My second husband had a breakdown and was under a psychiatrist. Of course, he's incurable, but I decided.... It's strange, but that's how I came to take it up. It saved my reason. My husband is still in a home. His sister, of course, became quite incurable. He has his lucid moments. I did not realize it, of course, when I married, but there was what I'd now call an oedipus-transference on his part, and..." How tedious I found these phrases! We had come to the lake. I stooped over it and myself looked back at myself through the dark water. I looked at Dr Gray's reflection and recognized her. I put on my dark glasses, then. Muriel SparkのThe Dark Glassesからの英文です。 過去の回想シーンから現代に戻って、主人公とDr Grayが湖の近くを一緒に歩きながら話している場面です。 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- ●It's strange, " she said, "how I came to take up psychology.と It's strange, but that's how I came to take it up.の中に I came to take up psychologyと I came to take it upがありますが、前者はtake up psychologyとtake upが繋がっているのに、何故後者は take it upのように、take とupの間にitが入るのでしょうか? 教えてください。よろしくお願いします。 前文は "I took up psychology during the war. Up till then I was in general practice." I had come to the summer school to lecture on history and she on psychology. Psychiatrists are very often ready to talk to strangers about their inmost lives. This is probably because they spend so much time hearing out their patients. I did not recognize Dr Gray, except as a type, when I had attended her first lecture on "the psychic manifestations of sex." She spoke of child-poltergeists, and I was bored, and took refuge in observing the curious language of her profession. I noticed the word "arousement". "Adolescents in a state of sexual arousement," she said, "may become possessed of almost psychic insight." となっています。

• 英文 ”お気に入りの本” を添削していただけますか

My favorite book is Memoirs of a geisha. I saw a movie Sayuri with my wife on the second of January. I was quite impressed by the movie. I came back home and I looked for the information about Sayuri. I knew the book Memoirs of a geisha at Amazon in America and there were a lot of spotlight reviews. I bought it at Amazon in Japan. So I've been reading the book because I wanted to know Japanese culture in English. I sometimes felt tears come to my eyes to read the sad story of her life. 私のお気に入りの本は memoirs of a geisha です 1月2日にさゆりを見て 感激しました 家に帰り調べたらたくさんのコメントが アメリカアマゾンに書いてありました さっそく買い読んでますが 時々彼女の悲しい人生に涙します。 

• 英文を訳して下さい。

The advance continued to the final objective, which was reached and consolidated by 10:00 a.m. Patrols moved forward towards the Broombeek and a German counter-attack at 4:00 p.m., was stopped by artillery and small-arms fire. Langemarck and the Wilhelm (third) line, north of the Ypres–Staden railway and west of the Kortebeek had been captured. 1re Armée The French on the northern flank operated from south of the hamlet of St. Janshoek on the east of the Steenbeek, north of Bixschoote and the edge of the floods to the Noordschoote–Luyghem road, which crossed the Yperlee at Drie Grachten (Three Canals). The Germans had counter-flooded the area between Dixmude and Bixschoote and had built fortifications to stop an attacker crossing or circumventing the floods. The bridgehead of Drie Grachten was the main German defensive fortification in the area, which blocked the Noordschoote–Luyghem road where it crossed the Yperlee Canal, north of the Steenbeek, beyond the confluence with the Kortebeek, where the combined rivers became the St. Jansbeek. From Luyghem, a road ran south-east to Verbrandemis and the road from Zudyschoote and Lizenie crossed the Yperlee at Steenstraat and ran on to Dixmude. The capture of Luyghem, Merckem and the road was necessary for the French to threaten Houthoulst Forest, to the south of Dixmude and north of Langemarck. The bridgehead at Drie Grachten also gave the Germans a jumping-off point over the canal for a counter-attack across it. By 15 August, the French had closed up to the bridgehead from Bixschoote to the south-east and Noordschoote to the south-west. West of the Yperlee Canal, the bridgehead consisted of a semi-circular work, which was built above ground, due to the waterlogged soil. Reinforced concrete shelters had been built and connected by a raised trench of concrete, earth and fascines, with a communication trench leading back to a command post. Several hundred yards forward on the causeway was a small blockhouse, joined to the work by a communication trench on the north side of the road.

• 英文を訳して下さい。

On 12 August, seven U-boats returned to Heligoland; U-13 was also missing, and it was thought she had been mined. While the operation was a failure, it caused the Royal Navy some uneasiness, disproving earlier estimates as to U-boats' radius of action and leaving the security of the Grand Fleet's unprotected anchorage at Scapa Flow open to question. On the other hand, the ease with which U-15 had been destroyed by Birmingham encouraged the false belief that submarines were no great danger to surface warships.

• 英文の訳が分かりません

英文の訳が分かりません But it had also been suggested by the book that he had just taken out of the drawer. it was a peculiarly beautiful book. its smooth creamy paper, a little yellowed by age, was of a kind that had not been manufactured for at least forty years past. He could guess, however, that the book was much older than that. He had seen it lying in the window of a frowzy little junk-shop in a slummy quarter of the town ( just what quarter he did not now remember ) and had been stricken immediately by an overwhelming desire to possess it. party members were supposed not to go into ordinary shops ( ‘dealing on the free market ’, it was called), but the rule was not strictly kept, because there were various things such as shoelaces and razor blades which it was impossible to get hold of in any other way. He had given a quick glance up and down the street and then had slipped inside and bought the book for two dollars fifty. At the time he was not conscious of wanting it for any particular purpose He had carried it guiltily home in his briefcase. Even with nothing written in it, it was a com-promising possession この英文を全訳してもらえるとありがたいです。

• 英文を訳して下さい。

Small British forces on the northern border, were put under the command of Maroix and ordered to move south, as ~560 French cavalry were ordered across the northern border from Senegal and Niger, towards Sansane Mangu from 13–15 August. The British force at Lomé comprised 558 soldiers, 2,084 carriers, police and volunteers, who were preparing to advance inland, when Bryant received news of a German foray to Togblekove. The Battle of Bafilo was a skirmish between French and German troops in north-east Togoland on 13 August. French forces had crossed the border between French Dahomey and Togoland on 8–9 August. The French were engaged by German troops in the districts of Sansane-Mangu and Skode-Balfilo. The French company retreated, after facing greater resistance than expected. After the capture of Lomé on the coast, Bryant was promoted to Lieutenant-Colonel, made commander of all Allied forces in the operation and landed at Lomé on 12 August, with the main British force of 558 soldiers, 2,084 carriers, police and volunteers. As preparations began to advance northwards to Kamina, Bryant heard that a German party had travelled south by train the day before. The party had destroyed a small wireless transmitter and railway bridge at Togblekove, about 10 mi (16 km) to the north. Bryant detached half an infantry company on 12 August and sent another ​1 1⁄2 companies forward the next day, to prevent further attacks. By the evening, "I" Company had reached Tsevie, scouts reported that the country south of Agbeluvhoe was clear of German troops and the main force had reached Togblekove; at 10:00 p.m. "I" Company began to advance up the road to Agbeluvhoe. The relatively harsh terrain of bushland and swamp impeded the Allied push to Kamina, by keeping the invaders on the railway and the road, which had fallen into disrepair and was impassable by wheeled vehicles. Communication between the parties was difficult, because of the intervening high grass and thick scrub. The main force moved on from Togblekove at 6:00 a.m. on 15 August and at 8:30 a.m., local civilians told Bryant that a train full of Germans had steamed into Tsevie that morning and shot up the station. In the afternoon the British advanced guard met German troops near the Lili river, who blew the bridge and dug in on a ridge on the far side. The demolitions and the delaying action, held up the advance until 4:30 p.m. and the force spent the night at Ekuni rather than joining "I" Company as intended. Döring had sent two raiding parties with 200 men south in trains, to delay the advancing Allied force. "I" Company had heard the train run south at 4:00 a.m., while halted on the road near Ekuni, a village about 6 mi (9.7 km) south of Agbeluvhoe. A section was sent to cut off the train and the rest of "I" Company pressed on to Agbeluvhoe.

He pulled a sheet of blotting paper towards him. He dipped his pen in the ink and started writing on the bottom of the sheet of paper before him, comparing it from time to time with the one he had taken out of the safe. I was not surprised, but I was thrilled, when the door behind him slowly opened. It was like seeing the film of the book. Dorothy advanced on her creeping feet, and he did not hear, but formed the words he was writing, on and on. The rain pelted down regardless. She was looking crookedly, through her green glasses with her one eye, over his shoulder at the paper. Muriel SparkのThe Dark Glassesからの英文です。 主人公は15歳ぐらいの女の子です。 he=検眼士です。 Dorothyは検眼士の姉です。 窓の外から主人公が検眼士の様子を窺っている場面です。 ----------------------------------------------- ●It was like seeing the film of the book.のthe film of the bookのところがわかりません。 "本の映像"ですか? the bookと定冠詞がついているのも気になります。ここでa bookとしていないのはなぜなのでしょうか? ●She was looking crookedly, through her green glasses with her one eye, over his shoulder at the paper.について、この英文はShe was looking at the paperという繋がりになるのでしょうか? 前文は Then he took up the pen. I can still smell the rain and hear it thundering about me, and feel it dripping on my head from the bough hanging above me. He raised his eyes and looked out at the rain. It seemed his eyes rested on me, at my station between the tree and the window. I kept still and close to the tree like a hunted piece of nature, willing myself to be the colour of bark and leaves and rain. Then I realized how much more clearly I could see him than he me, for it was growing dark. となっています。 教えてください。宜しくお願いします。

• 至急訳してください(´・ω・`)

I looked round for him and when I saw him I was startled. He was standing at the edge of the water looking at it with an expression of empty incomprehension. Among the white crowds his air of brisk efficiency had dulled. He looked middle-aged,out of place,and insignificant. But the smile switched on when he saw me.