Isn't That the Case with All Progress?

このQ&Aのポイント
  • Isn't that the case with all progress? This phrase is used in a movie review to question whether self-interest motivates people's change in attitude towards a racially discriminated character.
  • The movie director, Fassbinder, shows that the turnabouts in the attitudes of Emmi's neighbors, children, and coworkers are driven by self-interest. This raises the question: isn't that the case with all progress?
  • In the movie review, Fassbinder highlights the idea that even in the face of progress, people's motivations for change may stem from self-interest, leading us to question the genuineness of that progress.
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

isn’t that the case with

isn’t that the case with all progress?の意味/訳を教えてください。 以下の文の最後の部分です。(映画評の一部で、Emmiは映画の主人公の名、Fassbinderは監督の名です。人種差別の話です) And even while showing that the turnabouts in the attitudes of Emmi’s neighbors, children, and coworkers are motivated by self-interest, Fassbinder makes us ask: isn’t that the case with all progress? http://www.criterion.com/current/posts/1067-ali-fear-eats-the-soul-one-love-two-oppressions また、この記事の一番最後の he gave himself too little credit. というところもよくわかりませんでした。どういう意味でしょうか? 「彼は自分のこともほとんど信頼してない」? よろしくお願いします!

• engg
  • お礼率90% (926/1022)
  • 英語
  • 回答数2
  • ありがとう数2

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • SPS700
  • ベストアンサー率46% (15295/33014)
回答No.1

1。  isn’t that the case with all progress?     それは、すべての進歩において、同じことが言えるんじゃないか?     進歩と名のつくものは、みんな(自己愛が動機になっている)のではないか? 2。  he gave himself too little credit     彼は、かれ自身に、少なすぎる貢献を与えた > 彼は自分の功績を過小評価しすぎる > 彼は謙遜しているが彼の貢献は大きい > かれは謙遜し過ぎである 3。全試訳     で、エンミの隣人、子ども達、仕事仲間の態度が、自分が可愛いという動機から変わったことを示すあいだにさえ、ファスビンダーはわれわれに「進歩と言うものはみんなそうなのではないか」と自問させるのである。     

engg
質問者

お礼

ありがとうございます! よくわかりました!

その他の回答 (1)

• bakansky
  • ベストアンサー率48% (3502/7245)
回答No.2

> And even while showing that the turnabouts in the attitudes of Emmi's neighbors, children, and coworkers are motivated by self-interest, Fassbinder makes us ask: isn't that the case with all progress? 直訳ですが・・・  「そして、エンミの隣人たちや子供たち、仕事仲間連中が態度を変えたのは利己主義に動かされてのものであるというこを明らかにした上で、ファスビンダーは我々に問いかけるのだ -- それでも前進には違いないのではないか? -- と」 > he gave himself too little credit. give someone credit は、誰々の功績を認める、のような意味があるので、ここでは 「彼は自分の功績については控えめだった」 あるいは 「彼は謙遜した」 のような意味があるのかもしれないと思います。

engg
質問者

お礼

ありがとうございます! よくわかりました! お二方どちらのご回答も大変参考になりましたので、ベストアンサーは回答順ということにさせていただきます。

関連するQ&A

• Isn't that a Japanese pol

Isn't that a Japanese politician for the national finance and economic policy? 翻訳おねがいします(。-_-。)

• If it isn’tの用法

For years I’ve been butting heads with my mother, even now that I’ve moved out. If it isn’t her degrading my clothes or talking poorly about my dates, she’s calling me dramatic, telling me I’ll “grow up” on politics, or disputing everything I say. If it isn’tの用法が良くわかりません。上記はどう訳したら良いでしょうか?if it isn’tを使った例文を訳もつけていくつか上げてくれると助かります。Bless me if it isn't true! 「それはまさしく本当だ!」という例文があったのですが、どうしてそのような意味になるのでしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• on that front

The other is this: study abroad isn’t just about studying. It’s about being abroad, and about all the experiences and advantages that only complete immersion in another country and culture can give you. And on that front, darling, there should be nothing keeping you from taking the time you have left and making it amazing. on that frontとはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• that節

My husband and I have been raising two of my grandkids: Their mothers are from my first marriage and addicted to drugs. It was rough the first few years, but I told my husband I couldn’t turn my back on the grandkids and he said that we together could do it. Fast-forward several years and he’s retired, the kids are 14 and 9, and I feel like I get punished all the time for “ruining his life and retirement” by choosing the grandkids over him. He always starts off that it was the only choice we could make, but there isn’t a day that goes by he doesn’t have a sarcastic remark about me or the grandkids’ mothers or how dishonest and horrible all women are. He always starts off thatはなぜ that節がとれるのでしょうか?何にでもとれるわけではないですよね?よろしくお願いします

• 和訳が分かりません。

以下の和訳が分かりません。 できたら回答いただけたら、ありがたいです。 「 It is a very good idea, especially since you are saying that there isn’t good advertisement there in Japan with photos and videos and the quality isn’t as good. 」

• whichじゃなくてthatなのはなぜ?

一語訂正しなさいという問題です。 The fact which he is connected with it is known to all. この文のwhichをthatに訂正するというのが答えでした。関係代名詞の「whichではなくthatが好まれる」ケースとは違うと思うのですが・・・。他に訂正する箇所が無くあえて訂正するなら、ということなのでしょうか? 詳しい解説をお願いします。

• 【英語】blown up into something that it probably isn'tとは?

英マーガレットサッチャーさんの息子、マークサッチャー氏に関して、弁護士および友人が次のように述べています。 Lord Tim said Mann's conviction in Zimbabwe on what he described as relatively minor charges showed South Africa's case against Thatcher was weak. "This whole affair has been blown up into something that it probably isn't," the Thatcher friend told Reuters. さて、第一文の、「on」はどの単語を受けているのでしょうか?また、直後の「he」は誰を指すのでしょうか? また、表題の件ですが、どういう意味かわかりますか? ご回答願います。

• 和訳をお願いします

You mention that a certain kind of childishness that you see as part of your personality isn’t helping yourself or anyone else. Why do attribute so little value to relaxation and the ability to contemplate various matters? Isn’t that helpful. Isn’t it helping you with creativity? よろしくお願いします。

• all that entails

I feel upset and disillusioned by how my old friends behave toward me. I am 27, in a friendship group of five women. One of the women is going to get married soon with all that entails. I feel like while everyone is kind to each other in the group and celebrates their successes and lives, I am overlooked and even ignored, often. friendship groupは「友達のグループ」でいいでしょうか?with all that entailsとはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• すみませんが翻訳御願いします

すみませんが翻訳御願いします 教科書英語がつまった僕の頭では理解できません アメリカ人のブログです 前後にこれ以外の文章はありません I'm so happy that my friend isn't mad at me and now that she isn't mad at me my x-friend is so mad that she is hanging out with me and not her yyyyyaaaaa!!