• ベストアンサー
※ ChatGPTを利用し、要約された質問です(原文:大都市名=その国の政府?)

大都市名=その国の政府?

このQ&Aのポイント
  • 日本とコロンビアが自由貿易協定を話し合うための初めての交渉を東京で行いました。
  • 日本とコロンビアの強固な関係を促進するために、地域経済連携に協力が期待されています。
  • 記事では、日本の外務省の経済外交担当大使である横田純氏が日本側を代表し、可能な二国間協定の対象範囲と参照条件について議論する予定です。

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • phj
  • ベストアンサー率52% (2344/4489)
回答No.4

英語の慣習と日本語の慣習の両方の問題ですね。 英語の場合、日本語のように文章中の主語を略すことが原則的に出来ません。そのため、東京などのように地名にすることで、主語の持つ強さをある程度和らげるようにしています。ですから、人名や地名がどうしても必要な英語では、パラフレーズが日常的である、といえます。また文書の最初の「Japan and Colombia」も本来なら「government」が後ろに付くのですが、新聞記事なので分かりきったことであり文字の制限もあるのでので、割愛しているのです。 そして日本語の場合、分かりきった主語はそもそも省いてしまう傾向が強いです。最初の「Japan and Colombia」が日本語では多分「日本とコロンビアの両政府は・・・」という書き出しになるでしょうから(この場合、後に続く日本文章上、日本語では「政府」という位置づけを明確にし、後ろを代名詞でそろえるのが新聞の原則) 次に来る【Tokyo and Bogota】は当然ながら「両政府」になるわけです。 つまり先生の意味する意訳であれば、最初のほうから「両政府」が入っているだろうから次もそろえなさい、という意味合いが強いと思われます。 英語であれば Japan and Colombia(government)→【Tokyo and Bogota】 とパラフレーズされ、日本語であれば 日本とコロンビアの両政府は→両政府は に簡略される という各言語の違い(新聞記事における約束も含めて)を含めて訳しましょう。ということです。 その点を踏まえた上であれば、こういう訳し方は定型的であるといえます。

tookuheikitai
質問者

お礼

英語の文章によく見られる言い換え表現だったのですね。 すごく納得できました。 回答ありがとうございました。

全文を見る
すると、全ての回答が全文表示されます。

その他の回答 (3)

• sporespore
  • ベストアンサー率30% (430/1408)
回答No.3

英語の構図からはBogotaが初めて出てくるので「両政府」とするのは行き過ぎと思わせますが、文章の前後関係からどのような意味で使われているのかを考えると、かえって「東京とボゴタは」と訳すと判りにくくなります。学校の中での会話でMr. Yoshidaと書いてあれば日本語では吉田先生と訳すみたいな感じです。 Mr. Obama saidは大統領曰く・・となりますよね。

tookuheikitai
質問者

お礼

そういえばおっしゃる通りの訳を文脈次第で私も恣意的にしていました。 今回は都市名と政府という語が私の中で、つながりにくかったようです。 回答ありがとうございました。

全文を見る
すると、全ての回答が全文表示されます。
  • blue_rose
  • ベストアンサー率49% (717/1445)
回答No.2

こんにちは 大都市なだけではなく、それぞれの国の首都だからですが・・・ ・文面から、使われている首都名は、その国の政府をさすのは明らか。 ・日本で、ボコタがコロンビアの首都であると、すぐにピンと来る人は、決して多数ではない。 というような理由から、両政府と訳したほうがベター、とアドバイスされたのだと思います。 たとえば「東京とワシントン」とか、「東京と北京」なら直訳でも充分でしょうが、この場合でも、質問の英文のような内容なら、「両政府」と訳したほうが、スマートでベターな翻訳だと思いますよ。

tookuheikitai
質問者

お礼

回答ありがとうございました。 参考になります。

全文を見る
すると、全ての回答が全文表示されます。
回答No.1

訳し方というより,英語自体の表現です。 ここでは be slated to 原形で「人が~する予定だ」という表現が用いられています。 本来なら,その国の意思を決定する政府首脳・機関が主語になるべきところを Tokyo, Bagota という(大都市,というより)首都,政府の機能が集約された都市名を主語にして, 英語では表現することがある。 日本語としてはこういう「東京は~する予定である」のような表現は不自然に感じられる, だから「政府は」という訳をした方が自然。

tookuheikitai
質問者

お礼

回答ありがとうございました。 参考になります。

全文を見る
すると、全ての回答が全文表示されます。

関連するQ&A

• 日本語訳をお願いいたします。

During this time, he was a member of 14 cabinets, three of which he headed himself. Briand negotiated the Briand-Ceretti Agreement with the Vatican, giving the French government a role in the appointment of Catholic bishops.Aristide Briand received the 1926 Nobel Peace Prize together with Gustav Stresemann of Germany for the Locarno Treaties (Austen Chamberlain of the United Kingdom had received a share of the Peace Prize a year earlier for the same agreement). A 1927 proposal by Briand and United States Secretary of State Frank B. Kellogg for a universal pact outlawing war led the following year to the Pact of Paris, aka the Kellogg–Briand Pact. The cordial relations between Briand and Stresemann, the leading statesmen of their respective countries, were cut short by the unexpected death of Stresemann in 1929 and of Briand in 1932.

• 英文の邦訳

Studying the roles of indicators of the numbers and circumstances of internally displaced persons in Colombia, an issue of tremendous importance in Colombia as a consequence of massive violence and attempts to remediate its effects, René Urueña traces the movement of numbers from local compilers with little direct influence, into reports of prestigious external bodies such as the United Nations, then back into the Colombian news media and political debates. 上記英文を御訳し願います。

• 和訳してくださいm(_ _)m5

Before his tragic death, most people had not known much about what he had done for the people of Latin America. But now people everywhere were deeply moved by his braveand humanitarian actions. In Latin America and the United States, a great number of people paid their last respects to this real hero. In 1973, many events took place in honor of Roberto. He became the first Latin America to be elected into the National Baseball Hall of Fame. The Pirates retired Roberto's number 21. That means no other Pirates player would ever wear that number. Major League Baseball honored him by setting up the "Roberto Clemente Award," the highest award in baseball for sportsmanship and devotion to people in need. "He was such a great inspiration to the young and to all in baseball, and above all, to the proud people of his homeland, Puerto Rico."

• 英字新聞の読み方

ネットで英字新聞を読み始めました。 4月30日早朝の記事で、 Prime Minister Shinzo Abe 【was set to address】 a joint session of the U.S. Congress on Wednesday morning to underscore that the two nations’ solid bilateral ties are conducive to the peace and stability of the world. In the planned 40-minute English speech, 【Abe was to recall】 the postwar era in which Japan and the United States, after reconciliation, became strong allies sharing basic values, and express his determination to open up a new era with the United States. Abe 【was to stress】 the importance of the alliance, saying, “Let us call the U.S.-Japan alliance, an alliance of hope.” Abe 【was to announce】 that Japan will contribute to global peace and stability by closely working with the United States. とありました。(【 】は私が付与) 「未来のことにはtoプラス動詞の原形」と一つ覚えでしたが、これら【 】のBe動詞が何故過去形なのでしょうか? 初心者の質問ですが、宜しくお願いします。

• これらの文がうまく訳せなくて困っています。

これらの文がうまく訳せなくて困っています。助けてください。よろしくお願いします。 This observation was not lost on the CDU either. Even in Adenauer’s own party there was opposition to his one-sided policy. Adenauer carried the day by raising the spectre of the Communist danger and by the assurance that he was not in favour of carrying out ‘any experiments’, and gained the support of the citizens of the Federal Republic. In the second Bundestag elections on 6 September 1953 the CDU/CSU achieved an increased number of votes and in 1957, as already mentioned, even gained an absolute majority. Adenauer placed notable emphasis on the establishment of ties with representatives of the state of Israel, tied above all to the recognition and readiness to make reparations

• 英文を訳して下さい。

The Treaty of Rapallo was a treaty between the Kingdom of Italy and the Kingdom of Serbs, Croats and Slovenes (renamed Yugoslavia in 1929), signed to solve the dispute over some territories in the former Austrian Littoral in the upper Adriatic, and in Dalmatia. The treaty was signed on 12 November 1920 in Rapallo, near Genoa, Italy. Tension between Italy and Yugoslavia arose at the end of World War I, when the Austro-Hungarian Empire dissolved and Italy claimed the territories assigned to it by the secret London Pact of 1915. According to the pact, signed in London on 26 April 1915 by the Kingdom of Italy and Triple Entente, in case of victory at the end of World War I, Italy was to obtain several territorial gains including former Austrian Littoral, Northern Dalmatia and notably Zadar (Zara), Šibenik (Sebenico), and most of the Dalmatian islands (except Krk and Rab). These territories had an ethnically mixed population, with Slovenes and Croats composing over the half of the population of the region. The pact was therefore nullified with the Treaty of Versailles under pressure of President Woodrow Wilson, making void Italian claims on Northern Dalmatia. The objective of the Treaty of Rapallo was to find a compromise following the void created by the non-application of the London pact of 1915. At the conclusions of the discussions, the following territories were annexed to Italy: the western parts of the former Duchy of Carniola: more than half of the region of Inner Carniola, with the municipalities of Idrija, Vipava, Šturje, Postojna, Št. Peter na Krasu and Ilirska Bistrica, and the Upper Carniolan municipality of Bela Peč/Weissenfels; the whole territory of former Austrian Littoral, except for the municipality of Kastav and the island of Krk, which were ceded to the Kingdom of Serbs, Croats and Slovenes; the former Dalmatian capital city of Zadar (known as Zara in Italian) and the small Dalmatian islands of Lastovo and Palagruža. According to the treaty, the city of Rijeka (known as Fiume in Italian) would become the independent Free State of Fiume, thus ending the military occupation of Gabriele d'Annunzio's troops, begun by the Impresa di Fiume and known as the Italian Regency of Carnaro. This part of the treaty was revoked in 1924, when Italy and Yugoslavia signed the Treaty of Rome, which gave Fiume to Italy and the adjacent port of Sušak to Yugoslavia. The treaty left a large number of Slovenes and Croats in Italy. According to author Paul N. Hehn, "the treaty left half a million Slavs inside Italy while only a few hundred Italians in the fledgling Yugoslav state". Indeed, according to the 1910 Austrian census 480,000 South Slavs (Slovenes and Croats) became citizens of the Kingdom of Italy, while around 15,000 Italians became citizens of the new Yugoslav state (around 13,000 in Dalmatia, and the rest in the island of Krk). According to the same census, around 25,000 ethnic Germans and 3,000 Hungarians also lived in the regions annexed to Italy with the Treaty, while the number of Italians living in the region was between 350,000 and 390,000. Treaty of Rapallo ラパッロ条約

• 英語 和訳

With the population of the world set to rise dramatically in this century from 6000 million in the year 2000 to 10000 million by 2050-and with most of that growth in the Third World-what should we be thinking of with regard to providing the most basic of resources:food? この英文どなたか和訳お願いします。

• 英語 和訳

(1)Animals in the wild lead lives of compulsion and necessity within an unforgiving social hierarchy in an environment where the supply of fear is high and the supply of food low and where territory must constantly be defended and parasites forever endured. (2)But such an event is less likely to happen than for a member of our own species,say a shopkeeper with all the usual ties-to family,to friends,to society-to drop everything and walk away from his life with only the space change in his pockets and the clothes on his frame. (3)If human beings,boldest and most intelligent of creatures,will not wander from place to place,why would an animal,which is by temperament far more conservative? (1)~(3)の英文の和訳どなたかよろしくお願いします。

• 英文解釈

良い和訳を教えてください。 どの単語がどこにかかっているか、見分け方のポイントもお願いします。 The size and height of the mountain ranges in Europe were known with some approach to precision,those in parts of Latin America very roughly,those in Asia hardly at all,those in Africa for practical purposes not at all. forや,での繋がりが分からない原因です。 お願いいたします。

• 英文についての質問です。

My passionate interest in social justice and social responsibility has always stood in curious contrast to a marked lack of desire for direct association with men and women. I am a horse for single harness, not cut out for tandem or team work. I have never belonged wholeheartedly to country or state, to my circle of friends, or even to my own family. These ties have always been accompanied by a vague aloofness, and the wish to withdraw into myself increases with the years. Such isolation is sometimes bitter, but I do not regret being cut off from the understanding and sympathy of other men. I lose something by it, to be sure, but I am compensated for it in being rendered independent of the customs, opinions, and prejudices of others, and am not tempted to rest my peace of mind upon such shifting foundations. (What I Believe by A. Einstein) 意味がとれないところを教えてください。 1)My passionate interest in social justice and social responsibility has always stood in curious contrast to a marked lack of desire for direct association with men and women. a marked lack of desire for direct association with men and women.は、 男女の直接的な付き合いに対する要求の著しい欠如、ですか? stood in curious contrast とはどういう意味ですか? (特にcuriousの意味合いが掴みにくいです) 一般的な男女間のことには興味がない、というようなことを言っているのでしょうか? 2)I am a horse for single harness 私はたったひとつの馬具のための馬です(?)とはどういう意味ですか? よろしくお願いいたします。