Heroic Kate Saves Lives in a Dangerous Storm

このQ&Aのポイント
  • In a dangerous storm, Kate puts on her old coat and rushes out to save lives.
  • She braves a flooded farmhouse yard and a damaged bridge to reach the stranded men.
  • With no other options, Kate must cross a treacherous railroad trestle to flag down help and prevent a disaster.
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

翻訳お願いします

Kate hurriedly put on her old coat and took a lantern. She rushed out. Her mother watched , wondering if she would ever see Kate again. She thought of the trestle , high above the Des Moines River. The danger of crossing it was great even in the daytime when the weather was clear. Now , at night , in a storm , it would be frightening. Kate might easily fall through into the raging river below. To Kate , the farmhouse yard looked like a big bowl of water. The water was lapping over the track which went by the house. Kate had to climb the hill behind the house to a place where the tracks cut through. The tracks were not flooded there , and she ran along them to Honey Creek Bridge. Part of the bridge was still up. The rest of it hung down in the water. Kate could see the shine of the engine down there in the flooding river. She heard cries. Then she saw two of the four men from the helper engine. They were hanging desperately onto a piece of wood. It seemed that the other two men were lost. Cupping her hands around her mouth , she tried to shout above the sound of the flood and storm. “I'm going for help ,” she cried. “I have to flag down the express!” She watched them call back to her. Then she knew that they couldn't have heard her voice , for she couldn't hear theirs. With Honey Creek Bridge down , the only way to town was over the railroad trestle crossing the Des Moines River. She began to run along the creek toward it. When she saw the railroad trestle , she knew something of what she was in for. Wet and shining black above her , the trestle was shaking hard from the raging water. The river was now almost flooding its banks. The water was swirling close to the tracks on the trestle. The rain came down harder. Kate stopped to think. Was there any other way into town? No. Would anyone else know about Honey Creek Bridge collapsing? No , not anyone on the town side , where the express would come from. There was no one else. Only Kate. And if she didn't get there in time , a whole express train of people would plunge over the edge into Honey Creek. Hundreds of innocent people would be drowned. She had to do it.

• 英語
  • 回答数1
  • ありがとう数0

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • sayshe
  • ベストアンサー率77% (4555/5904)
回答No.1

ケイトは、急いで彼女の古いコートを着ると、ランタンをとりました。 彼女は飛び出しました。 彼女の母は、ケイトを見おさめになるかもしれないと案じながら、見守っていました。 デモイン川のずっと上にかかる、彼女は構橋について考えました。 それを渡る危険は、天気が晴れている昼間でさえ、大変なものでした。 今は、夜で、しかも嵐なので、恐ろしいに違いありません。 ケイトは、下の荒れ狂う川に簡単に落ちてしまうかもしれないのです。 ケイトには、農家の庭は、水を張った大きな鉢のように見えました。 水は、家のそばを走る線路に打ち寄せていました。 ケイトは、線路が通っている所まで、家の裏手の丘を登らなければなりませんでした。 線路は、そこでは、浸水していませんでした、そして、彼女は、線路に沿ってハニー川鉄橋まで走りました。 橋の一部は、まだ立っていました。 橋の残りは、ぶら下がるように水の中に垂れていました。 ケイトは、下の方の氾濫する川の中に機関車の輝きを見ることができました。 彼女は、叫び声を聞きました。 それから、彼女は補助機関車に乗っていた4人の男たちのうちの2人が見えました。 彼らは、必死に木片にしがみついていました。 残りの2人の男は、行方不明の様でした。 口の回りに彼女の手を丸めて、彼女は洪水と嵐の音に負けない様に叫ぼうとしました。 「私は、助けを呼んできます」と、彼女は叫びました。 「私は、急行を止めなければなりません!」 彼女は、彼らが彼女に叫びかえすのを見守りました。 それから、彼女は彼らが彼女の声を聞くことができなかったかもしれないと思いました、なぜなら、彼女は彼らの声を聞くことができなかったからです。 ハニー川鉄橋が落ちたら、町へ行く唯一の方法は、デモイン川にかかる鉄道の構橋を渡ることでした。 彼女は、川に沿ってそれの方へ走り出しました。 鉄道の構橋を見たとき、彼女は直面しなければならないものが幾分分かりました。 彼女の頭上高く雨にぬれて黒光りしている、構橋は、荒れ狂う水で激しく揺れていました。 川は、今では、その両岸から溢れそうでした。 水は、構橋の上を走る線路のすぐ下で渦巻いていました。 雨脚は、より激しくなっていました。 ケイトは、しばし考えました。 町へ行く他の方法があっただろうか? ありませんでした。他の誰かが、ハニー川鉄橋が落ちたことを知っているでしょうか? いいえ、町の側の誰も知ってはいません、なぜなら、そちらから急行が来るのですから。 他には誰もいませんでした。 ケイトだけでした。 そして、彼女が遅れずにそこに着かなければ、人々を乗せた急行列車全てが、ハニー川に飛び込むことになるでしょう。 何百人もの罪のない人々が、おぼれるでしょう。彼女が、知らせなければなりませんでした。

関連するQ&A

• 翻訳してください

Kate Shelley got to pigpen just in time. The water was just about to flood the floor. She gathered up the seven little pigs. Followed by their mother , she took the pigs up to the barn , which was on higher ground. The rain showed no signs of stopping. Little did Kate know that she would become a heroine that night. She was fifteen years old , poor , and a good girl. Her father had been a railroad man before he died. That was all anyone might have said about her before this night. After she had seen to all the animals , Kate went in the house. She stood by her mother and watched Honey edging higher and higher up its banks. “I'm afraid it will flood ,” said Kate's mother. “It looks that way ,” answered Kate. “And if it gets much higher , the bridge might collapse.” “Let's hope it lasts until the express goes through ,” said her mother. “I'm worried about the railroad trestle ,” said Kate. “What if that goes?” The railroad trestle crossed the Des Moines River , which fed Honey Creek. If the water in Honey Creek was high , it was sure to be high in the Des Moines River. Just then , they heard the sound of an engine. They saw its headlight moving slowly toward Honey Creek Bridge. It was the extra engine that helped to push heavy trains up the hills on either said of the river. Now it was backing down the track , with men on the running board looking for danger. It began to cross Honey Creek Bridge , which was shaking by now. Then the bell on the train sounded twice. There was a crash. “Mother ,” shouted Kate. “They've gone down!” It was still. The two were quiet for a minute. Then Kate said , “I have to go and help them , mother. And I have to stop the midnight express. They'll never know the bridge is down if I don't.” “Listen , Kate ,” her mother answered. “You're only a child. Only fifteen.” “But I'm the oldest here but for you. And you you have to stay with the young ones ,” said Kate. “You'll never make it. You'll have to cross the trestle. It's full of danger.” Her mother saw the look on Kate's face. She knew it would be worthless to try to stop her. “Go , then ,” she said. “But be careful.”  

• 翻訳お願いします

Kate stepped out on the trestle to see if it would hold her. Though she could feel it shake beneath her, it did not go down. Then, the wind blew out her light. The night was black. She began to crawl, feeling ahead of her to see if the bridge was still there. From one board to the next she went cautiously on. Sometimes she would slip and almost fall into the roaring water below. Then she would regain her hold and go on. Kate did not know what time it was. The express would come through at twelve. What if she vas still on the bridge when it came? She would be killed. But there was no way back now. Part of the way across, she saw a big tree rushing down the river. It had been torn out of the ground by the flood, and dirt still hung on its roots. It was approaching fast. It is sure to push the bridge down, she thought. And I can't stop it. Her heart beat quickly. Then the tree passed under the bridge, clearing the trestle by only a foot. Kate kept crawling. Nails and splinters caught at her clothes. Her hands were torn. Thinking of the express and all its passengers, she made one last effort and finally reached the end of the bridge. She stopped only a minute to rest. As soon as she could, she began to run as fast as she could toward the railroad station in town. It was a half mile away.

• 翻訳お願いします

The men from town came out of the engine. They threw a rope to the two men caught in the creek. One held it and climbed up on shore, hand over hand. He threw his arms around Kate, knowing she had saved him. The other man in the river could not be reached until the next morning, but finally he was safely rescued. For days, Kate got letters from people who had read about her in the paper. People sent money, which helped the family in their poverty. A new railroad bridge was named after her. When she grew up, she became the railroad ticket seller in town. She was allowed to ride the railroad free whenever she wanted to. What's more, the engineer would make a stop right in front of her house to let her off!

• 翻訳お願いします

Her eyes were wild and her clothes torn when she rushed into the station. “That girl is out of her mind!”someone said. “The express!”shouted Kate. “Stop the express!” The stationmaster wasn't sure what she was talking about, but he didn't stop to find out. Already, he could hear the express approaching. He picked up a red light and ran outside. He heard the engine whistle. It was close. In seconds the express would roll through the town. He stepped out on the track, seeing the train's headlight above him. Just in time the engineer saw his light and brought the train screeching to a stop. “What is this?" said the engineer to the stationmaster, as he stepped down from the stopped train. “What do you mean by stopping the express in this little town?" Passengers, too, climbed out of the train, wondering what had happened. The engineer, the stationmaster, and the other people all looked at Kate. Only she had the story. So she told it. When she had finished, some people threw their arms around her in gratitude. Others cried with relief. All knew that Kate had saved as a heroine.their lives. She was acclaimed as a heroine. But she did not forget the two men in Honey Creek. In a few minutes, the train whistled sharply three times. This was a signal to the people in the town that there was trouble. Men came running, lengths of rope in their hands , and climbed on the engine. Kate went with them across the trestle, which fortunately still held, and down to Honey Creek Bridge.

• 英文翻訳をお願いします。

In 1916 the Germans completed two submarine merchant vessels, to be used as blockade runners. The aim was to use them to carry high value goods to neutral nations such as the US, which still maintained a strict neutrality, and was prepared to trade with Germany as with any other nation. The first of these vessels, Deutschland, sailed in summer 1916 and made a favorable impact on US public opinion. She made a second equally successful voyage in autumn of that year. Her sister, Bremen, was less fortunate; she disappeared on her maiden voyage, the cause of her loss unknown.

• 翻訳をお願いいたします。

クインシー・ジョーンズ氏のインタビューから この文章の翻訳をお願いいたします。 There’s a small anecdote in your memoir about how the rock musicians who’d been asked to sing on “We Are the World” were griping about the song. Is there more to that story? It wasn’t the rockers. It was Cyndi Lauper. She had a manager come over to me and say, “The rockers don’t like the song. ” I know how that shit works. We went to see Springsteen, Hall & Oates, Billy Joel, and all those cats and they said, “We love the song. ” So I said [to Lauper], “Okay, you can just get your shit over with and leave. ” And she was fucking up every take because her necklace or bracelet was rattling in the microphone. It was just her that had a problem. よろしくお願いします。

• ■二重否定、翻訳

She had not a thought in her head that was not a slogan ,and there was no imbecility, absolutely none that she was not capable of swallowing if the Party handed it out to her 二重否定が多く、何がいいたいのかわかりません。 文法的に説明してください。 よろしくお願いします ※オーウェル「1984」 離婚した妻(she)がどれほど愚かであるかを説明している箇所です

• 翻訳お願いします

Margie made a face. “School? What's there to write about school? I hate school.” Margie always hated school , but now she hated it more than ever. The mechanical teacher had been giving her test after test in geography. She had been doing worse and worse. In the end , her mother had shaken her head sadly and sent for the County Inspector. He was a little man with a red face. He had a whole box of tools with dials and wires. He smiled at her and gave her an apple. Then he took the teacher apart. Margie had hoped he wouldn't know how to put it together again. But he knew how , all right. After an hour or so , there it was again - large and black. It had a big screen , on which all the lessons were shown and the questions were asked. That wasn't so bad. The part which she hated most was the slot where she had to put the homework and test papers. She always had to write them our in a punch code they made her learn when she was six years old. The mechanical teacher calculated the mark in no time. The inspector had smiled after he had finished , and patted her head. He said to her mother , "It's no the little girl's fault , Mrs. Jones. I think the geography part was geared a little too quickly. I've slowed it up to an average 10-year level. In fact , the overall pattern of her progress is quite satisfactory." Again he patted Margie's head. Margie was disappointed. She had been hoping they would take the teacher away. They had once taken Tommy's teacher away for about a month , because the history part had not worked.

• 翻訳お願いします

It was very careless of you to make such a mistake The water is warm enough for you to swim in today The soup was too salty for me to eat He seems to have known the women Strange to say,the spoon began to bend by itself

• 源氏物語の翻訳について

いつもお世話になっています。 A.Waleyの『 TALE OF GENJI 』(帚木 The Broom-Tree)から わからないところと訳の間違っているところを教えていただければと思います。 1) 『 ”It was her habit to minister to my smallest wants even before I was myself aware of them; whatever she felt was lacking in her she strove to acquire , and where she knew that in some quality of mind she still fell behind my desires, she was at pains never to show her deficiency in such a way as might vex me. 』 ●私が私自身私の最小の(最も取るに足らない?)必要物ついて気付くまさしく前に、それらに役に立ったのは彼女の性質でした。彼女が彼女の中に不足していると感じたものは何でも、彼女は習得する努力をしました。そして心のいくらかの資質の中で、彼女が絶えず私の欲望(願望)に遅れをとったと判断した場合は、彼女は私をいらだたせるかもしれないような方法で彼女の不足を決して示さないように、気を配りました。・・・・・? 「I was myself aware of them」・・・「them」は「smallest wants」ですか? her habit・・・・「habit」は「性質」ですか? even before・・・・まさしく前に? whatever she felt was lacking in her~・・・・ここは元の形が「she felt what was lacking in her~」で、「what」(関係代名詞)の強調形の「whatever~」の文ですか? she still fell behind my desires・・・・・「still」は「絶えず」「常に」? she still fell behind my desires・・・・これは彼女が、馬頭がして欲しいと思ったことに対して前もって察知しなかった、ということですか? 2) 『 Thus in one way or another she was always busy in forwarding my affairs, and she hoped that if all down to the last dew-drop (as they say) were conducted as I should wish, this would be set down to her credit and help to balance the defects in her person which meek and obliging as she might be could not ( she fondly imagined ) fail to offend me.』 ●このようにさまざまな方法で、彼女はいつも私の用事を促進することに忙しかったのです。そして彼女は、もし最後の露の滴に至るまでのすべてが(彼らが言うように)、私が望むように行なわれるならば、これは彼女の信用と見なされ、そして、どんなに彼女がおとなしくて親切であったとしても、彼女が私を間違いなく怒らせた(彼女は愚かにも想像しました)であろう彼女の性格の中の欠点を、(これが)埋め合わせることを助けるであろうことを願いました。・・・・・? 難しいです。 as they say・・・ここの「they」は第三者たちのことを指しているのでしょうか? as I should wish・・・・ここは一人称の意志未来の「I shall」が時制の一致で「I should」になったものですか? this would be set down・・・・「this」は彼女が最後の露の滴に至るまでのすべてを馬頭の望むように行なうことですか? help to balance the defects in her person which meek and obliging as she might be could not ( she fondly imagined ) fail to offend me.について以下のように並べ替えて訳しました。    「help to balance the defects in her person which (she)could not ( she fondly imagined )     fail to offend me as she might be meek and obliging.」 as she might be・・・・・「as」は「どんなに・・・してみても」「いかに・・・しても」? could not fail to offend me.・・・・・ここの訳し方がよくわかりませんでした。「fail to ~」は「~し兼ねる」「~しない」?「could not」と合わせると二重否定になって肯定文になるのでしょうか? 3) 『 ; and at this time she even hid herself from strangers lest their poor opinion of her looks should put me out of countenance.』 ●そしてこのとき、彼女は彼女の容貌についての見知らぬ人のあさましい意見が、私の面目を失わせるのを怖れて、彼らから彼女自身を隠しさえしました。・・・? この女性は嫉妬深いけれどこんなにいい面もある・・・・つまるところ人はみんな良い面もあるし悪い面もあって、お互い様なのだと思うのですが。 長くなってしまいましたがよろしくお願い致します。