A Heroic Act That Changed Her Life

このQ&Aのポイント
  • A young girl named Kate saves two men from drowning in a creek.
  • Her act of bravery earns her recognition and support from the community.
  • As a result, Kate's life takes a positive turn, and she becomes a respected member of society.
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

翻訳お願いします

The men from town came out of the engine. They threw a rope to the two men caught in the creek. One held it and climbed up on shore, hand over hand. He threw his arms around Kate, knowing she had saved him. The other man in the river could not be reached until the next morning, but finally he was safely rescued. For days, Kate got letters from people who had read about her in the paper. People sent money, which helped the family in their poverty. A new railroad bridge was named after her. When she grew up, she became the railroad ticket seller in town. She was allowed to ride the railroad free whenever she wanted to. What's more, the engineer would make a stop right in front of her house to let her off!

• 英語
  • 回答数2
  • ありがとう数0

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • sayshe
  • ベストアンサー率77% (4555/5904)
回答No.1

町の男たちは、機関車から降りてきました。 彼らは、川で立ち往生している2人の男に、ロープを放り投げました。 一人は、それをつかんで、手繰り寄せながら、岸に向かって這い上って来ました。 彼はケイトを抱きしめました、彼女が彼を助けたことを分かっていたからです。 川の中のもう一人の男は、翌朝まで、助けることが出来ませんでしたが、ようやく、彼も無事救出されました。 何日間も、ケイトは、新聞で彼女について読んだ人々からの手紙を受けとりました。 人々はお金を送りました。そして、それは貧しさの中にあった彼女の家庭の助けとなりました。 新しい鉄道橋は、彼女の名をとって名づけられました。 大人になると、彼女は、その町で鉄道の切符販売をするようになりました。 望む時はいつでも、彼女は、無料で鉄道に乗ることを許可されました。 その上、機関士は、彼女を降ろすために、彼女の家のすぐ前で停車したものでした!

その他の回答 (1)

• ydna
  • ベストアンサー率63% (179/281)
回答No.2

ーーー拙訳ーーー 町からやってきた男たちは、機関車の外へ出てきた。川で動けない2人の男たちにロープを投げた。1人はそれにつかまり、両手で交互にロープをつかみ、岸に上がった。彼は、ケイトが助けてくれたことを知って、彼女に抱きついた。。 川の中のもう1人の男には、次の日の朝まで、たどり着けなかったが、最後には、無事に救助された。 何日も、ケイトは、彼女のことを新聞で読んだ人たちから手紙をもらった。人々はお金を送ってきた。それは、貧しい暮らしの、この家族の支援となった。新しい鉄道橋は、彼女の名前にちなんで名付けられた。 彼女は成長して、町の鉄道切符の売り子になった。彼女がその鉄道に乗りたい時は、いつでも無料で乗ることが許された。おまけに、機関士は、彼女の家の真ん前で彼女を降ろすために停車してくれたものだ。 --- keys --- A new railroad bridge = この時に、鉄橋となる。 What's more = 「おまけに/加えて」 would make a stop = would は、過去の習慣。 以上、少しでもお役に立てたでしょうか? ★ydna★ Hope it helps.

関連するQ&A

• 翻訳お願いします

Her eyes were wild and her clothes torn when she rushed into the station. “That girl is out of her mind!”someone said. “The express!”shouted Kate. “Stop the express!” The stationmaster wasn't sure what she was talking about, but he didn't stop to find out. Already, he could hear the express approaching. He picked up a red light and ran outside. He heard the engine whistle. It was close. In seconds the express would roll through the town. He stepped out on the track, seeing the train's headlight above him. Just in time the engineer saw his light and brought the train screeching to a stop. “What is this?" said the engineer to the stationmaster, as he stepped down from the stopped train. “What do you mean by stopping the express in this little town?" Passengers, too, climbed out of the train, wondering what had happened. The engineer, the stationmaster, and the other people all looked at Kate. Only she had the story. So she told it. When she had finished, some people threw their arms around her in gratitude. Others cried with relief. All knew that Kate had saved as a heroine.their lives. She was acclaimed as a heroine. But she did not forget the two men in Honey Creek. In a few minutes, the train whistled sharply three times. This was a signal to the people in the town that there was trouble. Men came running, lengths of rope in their hands , and climbed on the engine. Kate went with them across the trestle, which fortunately still held, and down to Honey Creek Bridge.

• 翻訳お願いします

Kate hurriedly put on her old coat and took a lantern. She rushed out. Her mother watched , wondering if she would ever see Kate again. She thought of the trestle , high above the Des Moines River. The danger of crossing it was great even in the daytime when the weather was clear. Now , at night , in a storm , it would be frightening. Kate might easily fall through into the raging river below. To Kate , the farmhouse yard looked like a big bowl of water. The water was lapping over the track which went by the house. Kate had to climb the hill behind the house to a place where the tracks cut through. The tracks were not flooded there , and she ran along them to Honey Creek Bridge. Part of the bridge was still up. The rest of it hung down in the water. Kate could see the shine of the engine down there in the flooding river. She heard cries. Then she saw two of the four men from the helper engine. They were hanging desperately onto a piece of wood. It seemed that the other two men were lost. Cupping her hands around her mouth , she tried to shout above the sound of the flood and storm. “I'm going for help ,” she cried. “I have to flag down the express!” She watched them call back to her. Then she knew that they couldn't have heard her voice , for she couldn't hear theirs. With Honey Creek Bridge down , the only way to town was over the railroad trestle crossing the Des Moines River. She began to run along the creek toward it. When she saw the railroad trestle , she knew something of what she was in for. Wet and shining black above her , the trestle was shaking hard from the raging water. The river was now almost flooding its banks. The water was swirling close to the tracks on the trestle. The rain came down harder. Kate stopped to think. Was there any other way into town? No. Would anyone else know about Honey Creek Bridge collapsing? No , not anyone on the town side , where the express would come from. There was no one else. Only Kate. And if she didn't get there in time , a whole express train of people would plunge over the edge into Honey Creek. Hundreds of innocent people would be drowned. She had to do it.

• 翻訳してください

Kate Shelley got to pigpen just in time. The water was just about to flood the floor. She gathered up the seven little pigs. Followed by their mother , she took the pigs up to the barn , which was on higher ground. The rain showed no signs of stopping. Little did Kate know that she would become a heroine that night. She was fifteen years old , poor , and a good girl. Her father had been a railroad man before he died. That was all anyone might have said about her before this night. After she had seen to all the animals , Kate went in the house. She stood by her mother and watched Honey edging higher and higher up its banks. “I'm afraid it will flood ,” said Kate's mother. “It looks that way ,” answered Kate. “And if it gets much higher , the bridge might collapse.” “Let's hope it lasts until the express goes through ,” said her mother. “I'm worried about the railroad trestle ,” said Kate. “What if that goes?” The railroad trestle crossed the Des Moines River , which fed Honey Creek. If the water in Honey Creek was high , it was sure to be high in the Des Moines River. Just then , they heard the sound of an engine. They saw its headlight moving slowly toward Honey Creek Bridge. It was the extra engine that helped to push heavy trains up the hills on either said of the river. Now it was backing down the track , with men on the running board looking for danger. It began to cross Honey Creek Bridge , which was shaking by now. Then the bell on the train sounded twice. There was a crash. “Mother ,” shouted Kate. “They've gone down!” It was still. The two were quiet for a minute. Then Kate said , “I have to go and help them , mother. And I have to stop the midnight express. They'll never know the bridge is down if I don't.” “Listen , Kate ,” her mother answered. “You're only a child. Only fifteen.” “But I'm the oldest here but for you. And you you have to stay with the young ones ,” said Kate. “You'll never make it. You'll have to cross the trestle. It's full of danger.” Her mother saw the look on Kate's face. She knew it would be worthless to try to stop her. “Go , then ,” she said. “But be careful.”  

• 翻訳お願いします

Margie made a face. “School? What's there to write about school? I hate school.” Margie always hated school , but now she hated it more than ever. The mechanical teacher had been giving her test after test in geography. She had been doing worse and worse. In the end , her mother had shaken her head sadly and sent for the County Inspector. He was a little man with a red face. He had a whole box of tools with dials and wires. He smiled at her and gave her an apple. Then he took the teacher apart. Margie had hoped he wouldn't know how to put it together again. But he knew how , all right. After an hour or so , there it was again - large and black. It had a big screen , on which all the lessons were shown and the questions were asked. That wasn't so bad. The part which she hated most was the slot where she had to put the homework and test papers. She always had to write them our in a punch code they made her learn when she was six years old. The mechanical teacher calculated the mark in no time. The inspector had smiled after he had finished , and patted her head. He said to her mother , "It's no the little girl's fault , Mrs. Jones. I think the geography part was geared a little too quickly. I've slowed it up to an average 10-year level. In fact , the overall pattern of her progress is quite satisfactory." Again he patted Margie's head. Margie was disappointed. She had been hoping they would take the teacher away. They had once taken Tommy's teacher away for about a month , because the history part had not worked.

• 翻訳お願いします

Kate stepped out on the trestle to see if it would hold her. Though she could feel it shake beneath her, it did not go down. Then, the wind blew out her light. The night was black. She began to crawl, feeling ahead of her to see if the bridge was still there. From one board to the next she went cautiously on. Sometimes she would slip and almost fall into the roaring water below. Then she would regain her hold and go on. Kate did not know what time it was. The express would come through at twelve. What if she vas still on the bridge when it came? She would be killed. But there was no way back now. Part of the way across, she saw a big tree rushing down the river. It had been torn out of the ground by the flood, and dirt still hung on its roots. It was approaching fast. It is sure to push the bridge down, she thought. And I can't stop it. Her heart beat quickly. Then the tree passed under the bridge, clearing the trestle by only a foot. Kate kept crawling. Nails and splinters caught at her clothes. Her hands were torn. Thinking of the express and all its passengers, she made one last effort and finally reached the end of the bridge. She stopped only a minute to rest. As soon as she could, she began to run as fast as she could toward the railroad station in town. It was a half mile away.

• 翻訳お願いします

She always had to write them our in a punch code they made her learn when she was six years old.

• 翻訳してほしいです・・・

しっかりとした日本語の翻訳してほしいです。 (1)The problems facing Cambodia. Underage girl prostitution is a serious social problem in Cambodia. Especially in brothels in villages near the capital Phnom Penh,it is not uncommon for young girls to take customers in the company of adult prostitutes. This was about 10 years ago. When I was in Cambodia as a university student, I had the opportunity to visit a facility that sheltered women and children who had been victims of prostitution and provided them with vocational training. One of the girls who particularly impressed me was Lilia, a 12-year-old girl with long, silky black hair. Lilia was 10 years old when she was sold from a poor village in the north and forced to sell her body in a brothel in a back alley in Phnom Penh. When she did not want to take clients, she was beaten and kicked and forced to do what she was told. When I visited the facility, she had already been taken care of and was being cared for, and her mental and physical wounds were healing, but at the time she was taken care of, she had bruises and burns all over her body and was in great pain. (2)I spent time with Lilia playing tag and ball. She was quieter than most children, but her occasional smile was pure childlike. Lilia was very attached to me, and when we were tired of playing, we took a shower together. Lilia was naked and I could see the scars on her small, thin body. There were burn marks on her back and large teeth marks on the bulge of her small breasts. Such an innocent girl had been in a brothel until a few months ago. I felt as if I had been confronted with this reality, and I felt indescribable. When I left the establishment after staying there for a few days, Lilia handed me a beautiful red flower and a small letter. The letter said, in her own words, 『I was happy to be with you』 As I was driving home from the facility, my heart ached as I imagined the unimaginable that had happened to such a young and sweet girl. More than a year later, I visited Cambodia again. Although I was not able to visit the facility, I had dinner with the staff. 「How is Lilia?」I asked him, and he told me the shocking truth「Actually, she ran away from the facility」 (3)I wondered where the little girl had gone after running away from the facility. As we often hear in other facilities, Cambodian girls often escape from shelters and return to brothels because their families cannot survive without them working. Did Lilia also go back to the brothel? Or are they trying to return to their own homes? It was very painful to think about how that little Lilia was doing.

• 翻訳お願いします

Margie even wrote about it that night in her diary. On the page headed May 17 , 2155 , she wrote , “Today tommy found a real book..” It was a very old book. Margie's grandfather had heard about books like it When he was a little boy. He once said his grandfather had told them that there was a time when all stories were printed on paper. They turned the pages , which were yellow. It was very funny to read the word. They stood still, instead of moving the way they were supposed to - on a screen , you know. And then , when they turned back to the page before , it had the same words on it. It was just the same as it had been when they read it the first time. “Oh,” said Tommy. “What a waste!” When you're through with the book , you just throw it away , I guess. Our television screen must have had a million books on it , and it's good for many more. “Same with mine ,” said Margie. She was 11 and hadn't seen as many telebooks as Tommy had. He was 13. She said , “Where did you find it?” “In my house.” He pointed without looking , because he was busy reading. “In the attic.” “What's it about?” “School.”

• ■二重否定、翻訳

She had not a thought in her head that was not a slogan ,and there was no imbecility, absolutely none that she was not capable of swallowing if the Party handed it out to her 二重否定が多く、何がいいたいのかわかりません。 文法的に説明してください。 よろしくお願いします ※オーウェル「1984」 離婚した妻(she)がどれほど愚かであるかを説明している箇所です

• 英語の訳をお願いします!!

He didn't hesitate, even thought a train was coming. He jumped over the barrier, grabbed her and carried her back here.What a hero!It was just like a scene in a movie.People were cheering.Anyway, he brought her into the cafe and sat her down at a table. I stayed with her while two other men went to get her things. The poor woman was terribly old and frail.She didn't seem to understand how close she'd come to being hurt.People have been saying that crossing is dangerous for years.It's too wide.The railway company ought to build a bridge there.