Gender Differences in Meaning of Words: Starting Early

このQ&Aのポイント
  • Gender differences in the meaning of words can be observed at an early age. In seventh-grade gender dialogues, boys and girls often focus on the topic of 'talk'. Boys point out that girls dominate conversations, allowing them to avoid speaking themselves. On the other hand, girls question why boys don't initiate conversations. Understanding these gender differences can help in bridging the gap between women and men.
  • Gender differences in word meanings start early in life. When seventh-grade boys and girls engage in dialogue, their attention often turns to the subject of 'talk'. Boys note that conversations are often dominated by girls, which relieves them of the need to speak. Girls, meanwhile, wonder why boys don't take the initiative in conversation. Exploring and acknowledging these gender differences can contribute to healing and strengthening relationships between women and men.
  • A study on gender differences in word meanings reveals early development of such distinctions. Seventh-grade boys and girls frequently bring up the topic of 'talk' in their dialogues. Boys observe that girls tend to dominate conversations, allowing boys to remain silent. In contrast, girls question why boys are less likely to start conversations. Fostering better understanding of these gender differences can be instrumental in fostering healthier relationships between women and men.
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

英語の和訳をお願いします。

Gender differences in the meaning of these words start early. In our gender dialogues between seventh-grade boys and girls, their comments and questions often focus on "talk": BOYS: Girls talk for most of the conversation so we don't have to talk. GIRLS: How come boys don't talk first? How these gender differences can be used in dialogue to heal the relationships between women and men is the topic of our discussion. 最後のパラグラフなんですが和訳に手こずっています…

• 英語
  • 回答数1
  • ありがとう数2

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • SPS700
  • ベストアンサー率46% (15295/33014)
回答No.1

このような言葉の意味の男女差は早くから始まる。7年生の男女生徒間の性別に関するやりとりでは、「おしゃべり」に焦点が置かれることが多い 男生徒 「たいてい喋るのは女の子だから僕らは話さなくてもいい」 女生徒「男の子はなぜ最初に喋らないの?」     このような男女差が(成人の)男と女の関係を癒す会話に使えるか、と言うのがこの議論の題目である。

luvluvsan
質問者

お礼

ありがとうございました。

関連するQ&A

• 英文和訳

"We have to talk." To women, usually the ones saying this to men, these four words are often an expression of a desire to connect, to address something with a man on a deeper, more satisfying level. It often means, "Let's get together and see if we can move things to a better place." Saying this to a man can feel dangerous. As one woman put it "Get ready for World War Three" To men, these may be among the most feared words in the language. They often stimulate what we call male relational dread. One man's response was,"Let me out of here!" Another man said, "To me those words mean : `Next stop,divorce.`" These words often mean somethings quite different whwn they are said to someone ofthe same genger. When women say to other women,"We have to talk," it can mean a multitude of things. If the other woman is someone new with whom the woman feels friendly, it can mean,"Let's get to know each other." If it's an old friend whom she hasn't seen for a while, it can mean, "Let's catch up - do I have things to tell you!" And if it is a friend with whom she is in frequent, even daily contact,it can mean,"Wait till you hear this. I've got to tell you about last night." Men rarely say this to other men. When they do, sometimes it has a sense of invitation, as in, "Hey, let's catch up!" But often it has the connotation of "You're in big trouble with me.Get ready for a hassle." Gender differences in the meaning of these words start early. In our gender dialogues between seventh-grade boys and girls, their comments and questions often focus on "talk" : BOYS: Girls talk for most of the conversation so we don't have to talk. GIRLS: How come boys don't talk first? How these gender differences can be used in dialogue to heal the relationships between women and men is the topic of our discussion.

• 次の英文を和訳してください!

Pink and blue arrived, along with other pastels, as colors for babies in the mid-19th century, yet the two colors were not promoted as gender signifiers until just before World War I—and even then, it took time for popular culture to sort things out. Today’s color dictate wasn’t established until the 1940s, as a result of Americans’ preferences as interpreted by manufacturers and retailers. “It could have gone the other way,” Paoletti says. So the baby boomers were raised in gender-specific clothing. Boys dressed like their fathers, girls like their mothers. Girls had to wear dresses to school, though unadorned styles and tomboy play clothes were acceptable. When the women’s liberation movement arrived in the mid-1960s, with its anti-feminine, anti-fashion message, the unisex look became the rage—but completely reversed from the time of young Franklin Roosevelt. Now young girls were dressing in masculine—or at least unfeminine—styles, devoid of gender hints. ″Feminists thought that girls were kind of lured into subservient roles as women is through clothing,” says Paoletti. “ ‘If we dress our girls more like boys and less like frilly little girls . . . they are going to have more options and feel freer to be active.’ ” John Money, a sexual identity researcher at Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore, argued that gender was primarily learned through social and environmental cues. “This was one of the drivers back in the ’70s of the argument that it’s ‘nurture not nature,’ ” Paoletti says. Gender-neutral clothing remained popular until about 1985. Paoletti remembers that year distinctly because it was between the births of her children, a girl in ’82 and a boy in ’86. “All of a sudden it wasn’t just a blue overall; it was a blue overall with a teddy bear holding a football,” she says. Disposable diapers were manufactured in pink and blue.

• 英語の和訳なのですが、、、

Have you ever stopped to wonder about things, especially something new? Most people are blessed with the gift of curiosity. We like to discuss our views of how such-and-such works or how such-and-such happend. という文なのですが ラストの一文,We like ~のところがうまく訳せないので 教えていただきたいです。お願いします。

• 英文の和訳をおねがいします。

It is salutary to realize the fundamental isolation of the individual mind. We have no certain knowledge of any consciousness but our own. We can only know the world through our own personality. Because the behaviour of others is similar to our own, we suppose that they are like us; it is a shock to discover that they are not. As i grow older I am more and more amazed to discover how great are the differences between one man and another. I am not far from believing that everyone is unique.

• 英語の質問です。和訳お願いします。

I have alot of stress because of school. And because of my ex. And because of my family who thinks I am the one who needs to be solving all their problems. And then I stress because of you because you say how communicating is so important but I don't want to/don't have time to be here writing to you about how shit my life is.

• 英語の質問です。和訳お願いします。

I have alot of stress because of school. And because of my ex. And because of my family who thinks I am the one who needs to be solving all their problems. And then I stress because of you because you say how communicating is so important but I don't want to/don't have time to be here writing to you about how shit my life is.

• 英語の和訳です。お願いします!!

For example, one of the major differences between the American educational system and systems in a majority of other countries is that education in the United States is intended for everyone-not just for a privileged few. Schools are expected to meet the needs of every child,regardless of his or her ability,and also the needs of society itself. This means that tax-supported public schools offer more than academic subjects. It surprises many people when they come here to find high schools offering such courses as typing, sewing, radio repair, computer programming, or driver training, along with traditional academic subjects such as mathematics,history, and language. Students can choose among a great variety of subjects depending on their interests, future plans, and level of ability. The primary purposes of American education are to develop every child's abilities, however great or small these may be, and to give each child a sense of citizenship.

• 和訳をお願いします。

11. What are some of the very different things between Japan and the US? 12. If you all of a sudden had to live in the US what would be a hard adjustment in terms of our cultural practices and beliefs? What would be hard about living the US?

• 英語の和訳

英語が訳せず困っています。 スポーツ健康科学系の論文なのですが、統計分析のところで訳が出来ず詰まってしまいます。 なんとか辞書や専門用語の教科書などで訳したところも、いまいち意味が通じず、合っているのかもわかりません。この文章に既に何日もかかっています。 長文で申し訳ありませんが、お力を貸して頂きたいです。 内容は肥満者が減量した後のリバウンドの経緯を3つのグループに分けて18ヶ月間調査したというものです。 Data were analyzed using SPSS for Windows version 13.0 (21). Descriptive statistics are presented as means ± standard deviation (SD). Group differences on continuous variables assessed at baseline were evaluated using analyses of variance (ANOVA) with weight loss method as the grouping variable. Chi square tests were used to examine group differences on categorical variables. Group differences in weight regain at 6, 12, and 18 months were evaluated using analyses of variance (ANOVA) with weight loss method as the between subjects factor. Group differences across time in overall percent weight loss (initial weight loss and maintenance) were evaluated using repeated measures ANOVA, with weight loss method as the between subjects factor and percent weight reduction from maximum weight (at baseline, 6, 12, and 18 months) as the within subjects factor. Participants lost to follow-up were assumed to have gained .30 kilograms per month, as has been used in prior studies (10, 22, 23). Analyses were first conducted without adjustments for covariates and were then adjusted for variables found to differ at baseline (p<.10) across weight loss method, including gender, baseline weight, intentional weight loss (cycling) history, baseline percent fat intake, and percent weight reduction at baseline (i.e., initial weight loss). Analyses were also adjusted for duration of weight loss maintenance and STOP Regain treatment group (face-to-face intervention, internet intervention, newsletter control). Repeated measures ANOVAs with weight loss method as the between subjects factor and time (baseline and 6 months) as the within subjects factor were used to examine group × time interactions for dietary intake, physical activity, depressive symptoms, and eating behavior. Tests of significance were based on alpha of .05. For repeated measures analyses, Greenhouse-Geisser correction was used, where appropriate, to adjust for sphericity. Bonferroni adjustment was applied to main effect and simple effect post-hoc contrasts. 統計解析の部分の抜粋です。 自力で訳したところもあるのですが不安なので全て書き込みました。 長文ですが宜しくお願い致します!!

• 英語 長文の和訳を教えてください。

the nixon shocks the presidency of richard nixon can be used as a convenient starting point to mark a difficult period of adjustment to the increased power of japan. nixon's 1968 presidential election campaign had depended on strong support from the textile-producing southern states. in order to get those votes he promised to take a hard stand in favor of protectionist barriers against japanese textile imports--a promise carried out after his election. acrimonious negotiatiations between japan and the nixon administration continued for over two years and created negative feelings on both sides of the pacific. the nixon administration was also responsible for the return of okinawa and the nixon doctrine (which reduced the number of u.s. troops in asia). these two policies were in many ways beneficial to japanese,but together created doubt in the minds of many jpanese as to america's commitment to the security of japan. these doubts were increased in the summer of 1971 by the nixon shocks.