• ベストアンサー

英文を読んでいてわからないところがありました。

さる英文法の参考書に Poor planning may result a job in Which you will not be truly successful.という例文があり、この文に対する訳が「計画の立て方がまずいと、本当の成功が得られないような仕事を選ぶ結果となるやもしれない。」となっていたのですが、自分が訳すと「貧しい計画を立案は、あなたが本当の成功を得られない仕事を選んだことに起因している」となるのですが、これでは間違いなのでしょうか?説明が下手で大変申し訳ありませんが、回答して頂けたら嬉しいです。

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • olutier
  • ベストアンサー率32% (53/163)
回答No.2

・ reslut は、「~に帰結する」「~という結果になる」という意味であり、「起因している」という意味ではありません。 ・この文のなかの you は、「あなた」という意味ではなく、「一般的に人は、誰でも」という意味です。特に訳す必要はありません。日本人にはわかりにくいところですが、仕方ありません。文脈をみて、「あなた」という意味でなさそうなら、「一般的に人は」という、軽めの意味になるのです。 ・ may 「かもしれない、ということもありうる」も訳す必要があります。 あなたの訳を最小限に修正すると、「貧弱な計画は、本当の成功を得られない仕事ということに帰結するかもしれない」となります。しかしこれではあまりに直訳調ですから、やはり参考書の訳くらいがよいです。もっとくだけた訳し方をするなら、「計画の立て方がまずいと、本当の成功など得られない仕事に就いてしまうってこともありうるからね」といったところでしょうか。

addressan
質問者

お礼

早々の回答ありがとうございます。分かりやすく、しかも詳しい説明で、この英文について理解出来ました。私はまだまだ勉強不足です。 また、質問した際には回答して頂けたら嬉しいです。

全文を見る
すると、全ての回答が全文表示されます。

その他の回答 (1)

回答No.1

参考書の訳と貴殿の訳から察するに Poor planning may result in choosing a job in which you will not be truly successful. が元の英文だと思います。 貴殿の訳では result from ~です。 「~からの結果である」 result in ~だと,「~という結果になる」 ですので,参考書の訳で合っています。

addressan
質問者

お礼

早々の回答ありがとうございます。 result inとresult fromの違いがわかってなかったみたいです。ご指摘、本当にありがとうございます。

全文を見る
すると、全ての回答が全文表示されます。

関連するQ&A

• if節中のwillの使用

「どんな仕事につこうと決めても、成功しようと思うなら、人よりは少し良い仕事をしなければならない」という英作文についてですが、 Whatever job you may choose to do,you must do it a little better than others if you will succeed in it. で大丈夫でしょうか?題名にも書きましたが、敢えてif節中においてwillを使いましたが、あくまで意志のwillですからおかしくないとは思うんです。ただ入試試験などにおいて減点されたりしないかなどと考えるとちょっと自信が無いので、アドバイスお願いします。

• 英文と日本語訳があります。日本語訳は正しいですか?

Of course, the mass retirement is not all bad news. Let's take a look at how one of the more successful retirees spends his retired years. Tomohiko Otake works at Lawson's three nights a week from 10:30 p.m. to 7 a.m. placing rice balls and bentos on shelves at a convenience store in Saitama. He took the job which pays 875 yen per hour because he and his wife wanted a bit of extra money to use for travel and souvenirs. 和訳 もちろん、大量退職に関しては、すべてが悪い知らせニュースというわけではありません。 退職者の引退後の過ごし方での成功例の一つを、見てみましょう。 トモヒコ・オオタケは、埼玉のコンビニエンスストアのローソンで、週三回(夜)、午後10時30分から午前7時まで働き、おにぎりと弁当をそれぞれの棚に置く仕事に取り組んでいます。 彼は、彼と彼の妻が旅行したり記念品購入の費用をつくるために、もう少し余分な収入を望んだので、時給875円の仕事を引き受けました。

• (283)Else, afterwards……この英文はどのように訳せばよいでしょうか

(283) Else, afterwards, you may chance to be in want, and go begging to other men's houses, but without avail; as you have already come to me. But I will give you no more nor give you further measure. Foolish Perses! Work the work which the gods ordained for men, lest in bitter anguish of spirit you with your wife and children seek your livelihood amongst your neighbours, and they do not heed you. Two or three times, may be, you will succeed, but if you trouble them further, it will not avail you, and all your talk will be in vain, and your word-play unprofitable. Nay, I bid you find a way to pay your debts and avoid hunger. <試し訳と質問> 前記の例文の順を追って、段落ごとに、試し訳と字句の解釈について、質問します。よろしくお願いします。 (1) Else, afterwards, you may chance to be in want, and go begging to other men's houses, but without avail; as you have already come to me. さもないと、以前、お前は私のところに(頼みに)来た事があるように、今後、お前は貧乏をして、そして、他人の家に頼みに行くことがあっても、効き目はないぞ。 <質問> (a) as you have already come to me.について    この文はyou may chanceに掛かる副詞句で、 文頭に置きました。正しいでしょうか。 (b) may chance toについて   you may chance to (be in want, and) go begging として、 ( )を外し、you may chance to go beggingと考えて良いでしょうか (2) But I will give you no more nor give you further measure.    だが、私はお前に量りものを更に多く与えたり、今後も続けて与えたりする つもりはない。 (3) Foolish Perses! Work the work which the gods ordained for men, lest in bitter anguish of spirit you with your wife and children seek your livelihood amongst your neighbours, and they do not heed you. 愚か者のペルセースよ。神々が人間に運命づけた仕事をするのだ。(そして) お前が妻や子供たちと共に、隣り近所に頼み歩いて、お前たちの生活の 糧を求めても、誰もお前たちを助けてくれないという精神的苦痛のないように するのだ。 (4) Two or three times, may be, you will succeed, but if you trouble them further, it will not avail you, and all your talk will be in vain, and your word-play unprofitable. 二度や三度なら、お前たち(の懇願)はうまくいくかも知れないが、もし、お前が 更に、彼らに迷惑をかけるとすれば、それは、お前の為にならないし、お前の 話は全て無駄であり、お前の口上は役に立たないだろう。 <質問> (a) all your talk will be in vain and your word-play unprofitableについて all your talk will be in vain and your-word-play (will be) unprofitable と解釈しました。正しいでしょうか。 (b) your-talk, your-word-play; 合成語が二つあります。    これは、お前の話、お前の口上としました。    気持ちとしては、「お前の舌先三寸はもはや通用しない」と感じます。     これは正しいでしょうか。 (5) Nay, I bid you find a way to pay your debts and avoid hunger. いや、私はお前が自分の債務を返し、飢えを凌ぐ方法を見出すように命じる。 <感想> この文は、I bid ( you find……)という構成ですが、‘your debts’ ‘I bid’ という語から、ペルセース(弟)はヘーシオドス(兄)から相当の借金をしている らしい。「それを返さないうちは、お前のいうことは、一切、聞かない」という気持ちが読みとれて、bidの訳語が難しい。

• 添削お願いします

・「しかし本当に就きたい仕事を手に入れるのも難しいことである」 However, it is also difficult to get a job which people really want to work. ・「大学を卒業していないと就職するのが難しく、また仕事が限られていると言われている」 It said that it is difficult people who did not graduate University to get a job, or competitive it. ・「大卒以上の資格が必要と仕事の募集要項に書かれているものをよく目にする」 We often look the requirements guideline that was written about a college degree level. *日本語=英語になっていない箇所が多々あるかと思いますが、英語で言いやすい表現にいくつか変えています。 こちらの英文の文法・表現がおかしくないかみて欲しいです。 よろしくお願いします。

• (306) But if desire ……この英文はどのように訳せばよいでしょうか

(1)(ll. 618-640) But if desire for uncomfortable sea-faring seize you; when the Pleiades plunge into the misty sea 1333 to escape Orion's rude strength, then truly gales of all kinds rage. (2)Then keep ships no longer on the sparkling sea, but bethink you to till the land as I bid you. (3)Haul up your ship upon the land and pack it closely with stones all round to keep off the power of the winds which blow damply, and draw out the bilge-plug so that the rain of heaven may not rot it. (4)Put away all the tackle and fittings in your house, and stow the wings of the sea-going ship neatly, and hang up the well-shaped rudder over the smoke. 次の文章は“Works and Days” by Evelyn Whiteの一節です。 (1)(2)(3)は連続した文章です。 試し訳と語彙について質問します。 (1)(ll. 618-640) But if desire for uncomfortable sea-faring seize you; when the Pleiades plunge into the misty sea 1333 to escape Orion's rude strength, then truly gales of all kinds rage. (1)(ll. 618-640) しかし、もしかすると、船旅を喜べないとの願望がお前を捉えるかもしれない。 オーリーオーンの強い力を逃れるために、プレイアデスが霧のかかった海 に突入するとき(10~11月)、その時は、あらゆる種類の憤怒の疾風が 吹く(からだ)。 <質問> (a)あまり明解な文章ではない。 このif 文は条件節だけで、帰結節がないようです。    そのため、「もしかすると……かもしれない」という一筆の文となる。 if文→when文→then文 という構文の配列を         when文→then文→if 文 と考えことも出来る。 しかし、倒置を避けて、書かれた語順で訳したい。 この考え方と訳は正しいでしょうか。 備考;脚注1333;The end of October or beginning of November. 備考;Pleiades;冬の七つ星団、雄牛座、昴 (2)Then keep ships no longer on the sparkling sea, but bethink you to till the land as I bid you. その時は、最早、輝く海に船を(浮かべて)置くな、しかし、私がお前に云う通りに、土地を耕すことを考えるのだ。 <質問> (a)be think to till the landについて    be think tilling the landなら分かりやすい。       辞書にこんな例文があるでしょうか。 (3)Haul up your ship upon the land and pack it closely with stones all round to keep off the power of the winds which blow damply, and draw out the bilge-plug so that the rain of heaven may not rot it. お前の船を陸に引き上げ、湿って吹きつける風の力を避けるように、周りを全部、しっかり石を詰め込むのだ。そして、ビルジ(船底の湾曲部)の栓を抜け、そうすれば、天からの雨がそこを腐らせることはないだろう。 備考;rain from heavenについて  当たり前のことを当たり前のように述べたのだろうか。 Heaven=Zeusを念頭においた言葉だろうか。     文字通りに訳す。 (4)Put away all the tackle and fittings in your house, and stow the wings of the sea-going ship neatly, and hang up the well-shaped rudder over the smoke. お前の家の中に道具や付属品を全部しまい込め、そして、海を渡る船の帆を うまくしまい込め。また、良い形の舵を煙の上に吊るすのだ。 <質問> (c)hang up the well-shaped rudder over the smoke.について このoverについて、「舵を吊るして、煙で覆う」ではない。     だが、「煙の上」というのも、少し変な気もする。     かといって、「天上に吊るす」とは書いてない。 家には、炉があって、その真上でなくとも、上であれば、over smokeと いうのだろうか。overを副詞句と考えれば、   hang up the rudder overという文章が成り立つはずですが、こうい う文章は辞書を見ても例文があるのだろうか(見当たらない)。 やっぱり、overは前置詞で、訳は「煙の上」で良いのだろうか。       

• 英訳について

英訳でおかしなところ, ネイティブに通じない所を指摘して頂けたら嬉しいです。 少し前にトムにメールをしたのですが帰ってきません。 I sent e-mail to tom few days ago, but I have not response from him. 私は今次のシーズンから私がショウに参加できる可能性を知りたいです。 What are my chances of being able to participate next season? なぜなら私は今練習の為だけに渡米し練習をしていますが、仕事をしていないため長期間での練習がアメリカではできません。 そのため私はできるだけ早く今後の計画をたてなえればなりません。 because I'm in US just a practice, but I don't have a job in US, so I cannot stay here. I have to planning for my future now. 私の望みとしては次のシーズンの5月からショウで働きたいのですが、その可能性を聞きたくてメールしました。 良いお返事をお待ちしております。 I hope I can get a job in next coming season, and get a good response.

• お手数ですが、次の英文を訳して下さい。

This would require a great deal of work to be carried out to create the necessary infrastructure, but if it could be carried out in secret promised to outflank the Turks and force them to abandon their position at Gaza. After examining the situation, Allenby approved this plan. The Germans too were taking an increased interest in Turkey. At the end of April 1917 a high level German delegation, led by General von Falkenhayn, was dispatched to Turkey, arriving in May. After a period of negotiations it was decided to create a new Seventh Army at Aleppo, and use it to push the British out of Baghdad (captured by them in March). This operation would be known as “Yilderim”, or “Lightning”. The new army formed slowly. By the end of the summer of 1917 it contained three divisions but four headquarters. Relations between the Germans and the Turks were poor and Falkenhayn did not adapt his plans to suit local conditions. This was well demonstrated in September, when concern about the vulnerability of the Palestine front forced the cancellation of the Baghdad campaign. Falkenhayn proposed a rapid transfer of the army from Aleppo to Beersheba, to launch an attack around the British right. A good idea in theory, in practice the limited Turkish rail network meant that very few of Falkenhayn’s troops reached the front before the British attacked. Falkenhayn himself did not leave Aloppo until 4 November, by which time his new base at Beersheba had already been lost. The only result of this plan was that the armies on the Gaza front were in the middle of a reorganisation when the British struck. The British put in place an elaborate deception operation. Patrols approached Beersheba every couple of weeks, in the hope that the Turks would take the real attack for another patrol. Much effort went into convincing the Turks that the British were planning to land an army on the coast behind their lines. A staff officers notebook was “found” by the Turks, complete with notes on a failure to establish water supplies at Beersheba. As the troops of the striking force moved to Beersheba, their camps were left intact at Gaza, well lit at night, while they remained hidden during the day. Even the construction of the railway extension and water supply pipes to the Beersheba front were delayed until the last moment.

• 彼氏へおせっかいでしょうか?

社会人20歳女子です。 私には2つ上の彼氏がいます。彼は大学を留年し、今月辞めました。 その彼についておせっかいなのかな、と思うけど心配になってしまいます。 具体的にはまず最近まではバイト先(細々とした会社です)の社員になるって言っていたのに、急に高給な作業系の仕事を先輩に紹介され遠方に引っ越してやると言いだしました。 正直その仕事は一年程度の決まっていない期限があるもので、その後はできない仕事です。 彼は高卒になってしまったしせっかくのチャンスだから、バイト先の仕事も一生できるわけじゃないし…と言っています。その後は?こっちに戻るの?と聞くと考えてないけどこの仕事1本は難しいし色々やりたいから違うこともする予定で行くと言っています。 彼は昔も投資系の話について行ってしまったり、無計画で学校やめたりあまり計画性がない人です。その先輩も同じような人でたまたま一時期成功したのに憧れてるんだと思います。 私としてはせっかくのチャンスだから一生出来ないからという割に期限が分かっててその後のことを考えてないのに引越しを伴う(本当に続けられるかわからない)仕事をするのにとても疑問です。 そして彼はこの事を全然人に相談もせず即決してます。だから私しか客観的に見れている人がいません。 私もこんな人に振り回されるのどうなの、と思いますがやっぱり心配してしまいます。 そしてもう彼が行くことを決めているのに余計な口出しするのも、という不安もあり何も言っていません。 どうすべきでしょうか。

• 次の英文を日本語翻訳してください。

Two areas of the German front line, on either side of the Neuve Chapelle battlefield, were attacked by the British First Army (General Sir Douglas Haig). In the south I Corps and the Indian Corps attacked on a 2,400 yd (1.4 mi; 2.2 km) front from the Rue du Bois and IV Corps attacked in the north on a 1,500 yd (1,400 m) front opposite Fromelles. The attack was intended to make two breaches in the German defences 6,000 yd (3.4 mi; 5.5 km) apart, after which the infantry were to advance to Aubers Ridge about 3,000 yd (1.7 mi; 2.7 km) beyond. The preliminary bombardment began at 5:00 a.m. and at 5:30 a.m. became intense. Ten minutes later, the infantry attacked and surprised the German defenders, artillery fire cutting all the German telephone lines to the rear. Visibility was poor due to smoke and dust and the bombardment proved less effective than assumed; much of the British shell-fire fell short and few of the German machine-guns were destroyed. German machine-gunners and artillery began to fire at the same time and in ten minutes inflicted many casualties on the British infantry as they advanced across no man's land. The failure of the attack to gain more than a few footholds in the German first line led to a second attack at 8:00 a.m. after a forty-five-minute bombardment, which was repelled in no man's land by German defensive fire. A new attack was ordered for noon but was delayed until about 5:00 p.m. Despite a "terrific" bombardment, the German machine-gun nests were not destroyed and the machine-gunners stopped the attack with flanking-fire. To assist the French, whose attack had been more successful, another attack was ordered for 8:00 p.m. and then cancelled as it became clear that another attack could not be launched. The extent of the British defeat had not been realised, due to the difficulty of communicating with the front line. The British lost c. 11,000 casualties and German casualties had also been severe; the defensive position had been turned into a crater-field but German reserves were moved from the British front to Vimy Ridge on 12 May. Joffre and Foch met French that day to persuade him to resume the attack after the redeployment of German divisions south against the Tenth Army: French agreed to relieve a French division south of La Bassée by 15 May. Pétain proposed a combined attack on Souchez with the divisions of XXXIII and XXI corps for 12 May, which was rejected due to the exhaustion of the XXI Corps divisions. Pétain substituted a plan for three limited attacks against Carency, Bois 125, Ablain and Souchez, with similar attack in the south against Neuville. Joffre sent the III Corps to the Tenth Army as reinforcement but also had to withdraw artillery to support the British attack due at Festubert.

• 以下の英文を訳して下さい。

On the morning of 8 May, the 88th Brigade in front of Krithia on Fir Tree Spur was relieved by the New Zealanders who made yet another attempt which failed with huge losses. The Wellington, Canterbury and Auckland Battalions gained another 400 yd (370 m) through Fir Tree Wood to a place called the 'Daisy Patch' before they became pinned down. Enfiladed on the left from Ottoman machine guns in Gully Ravine, they could neither advance nor withdraw and still had no sight of the Ottoman positions. Despite their predicament, Hunter-Weston ordered the New Zealanders, including the Otago Battalion in reserve, to resume that attack at 17:30. The brigade commander, Colonel Francis Johnston, protested but Hunter-Weston insisted the attack proceed. However, General Sir Ian Hamilton, commander of the Mediterranean Expeditionary Force, who had landed at Helles to oversee the battle, ordered a general advance to be made at 17:30 along the entire front with the aim of capturing Krithia and Achi Baba. The Australian 2nd Infantry Brigade, under the command of Brigadier-General M'Cay, was given 35 minutes warning that it was about to join the attack. The Australians were to advance along Krithia Spur between the right flank of the New Zealand brigade and the edge of Kanli Dere, and had to travel up to 800 yd (730 m) from their reserve position just to reach the start line at "Tommy's Trench". The brigade managed to advance a further 500 yd (460 m) beyond the start line, suffering 50% casualties in the process. The New Zealand brigade made another attempt to cross the Daisy Patch, and some troops managed to actually sight the Ottoman trenches. On the right, the French resumed their advance at 18:00 and made good progress, reaching the Ottoman trenches on Kereves Dere. They managed to capture and hold Bouchet Redoubt but were forced back everywhere else. About 1/3 of the Allied soldiers who fought in the battle became casualties. General Hamilton could ill-afford such losses as they made it difficult enough to hold the little ground he had, let alone continue to capture more. The poor planning of the battle extended to the medical provisions for the wounded which were woeful. The few stretcher bearers that were available often had to carry their burdens all the way to the beach as there was no intermediate collecting station with wagon transport. The hospital ship arrangements were also inadequate so that once the wounded were taken off the beach they would have trouble finding a ship prepared to take them on board. With the failure of the second battle, Hamilton made a request to the British Secretary of State for War, Lord Kitchener, for an additional four divisions. He was promised the British 52nd (Lowland) Division but would not receive any more until August. Another attempt to capture Krithia would not be made until early June.