Living Abroad: Confusion and Differences in Japan

このQ&Aのポイント
  • Living in Japan, after years in the United States, brings about confusion in daily life. From driving habits to language and cultural differences, there are still various aspects that perplex me.
  • Driving in Japan, where people drive on the left, is a constant adjustment for me. Even after a trip back to the US, I find myself unintentionally turning on the wipers instead of using the blinkers. Getting used to the different traffic flow and looking in the right direction also takes time.
  • Despite the challenges, I haven't encountered any major accidents on the road. However, it's always a reminder that attention and adaptation are crucial to stay safe.
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

和訳と問題解いてください!!

和訳だけでもかまいませんが、できれば解いてほしいです(゜Д゜)  As I have lived in Japan for years, you'll think I am completely used to life here. However, having grown up in the United States and having lived here since my early twenties, there are still a few things that confuse me in my daily life.  In the USA, people drive on the right but in Japan driving on the left is the law. I have been driving here for a long time and usually don't have any trouble. However, after (1) from a trip of two or three weeks to my native country, I often find myself switching on the wipers of my car when I signal for a turn with my blinkers. Also, when I stop, (2)(than/me/it/more/time/takes) most drivers to proceed because I can't get into the habit of looking to the right first. I unconsciously look to the left first and then to the right. But don't worry. I haven't had (3) yet.  There are two more opposite things. I look through the advertisements in the newspaper to see what bargains there are. When something is on sale, the advertisement says something like, ‛‛70% to 50% Off!’’ The 70% attracts my attention, but it seems strange to me that the percentage goes down. In America, advertisements often say the lower percentage first, follwed by the (4) percentage. 50% sounds great and then 70% seems fantastic in comparison. Secondly, when I speak Japanese, I automatically think in Japanese. But there are a few phrases which sometimes cause me (5) and think in English for a moment. For example, I have to think in reverse when I am talking about the length of a trip. In Japanese you say a trip is ‛‛two nights and three days,’’but it is said the other way around.  A famous Britis writer said in his poem, ‛‛East is East, and West, and the two will never meet.’’ Convenient air travel and the Internet have (6) our world borderless. If we could only get rid of opposites, the east and west could easily meet. 1 (1)と(5)を適切な形に変える時、正しいものを選びなさい。  (1)(returns/returned/returning/to return)  (5) (stops/to stop/stopping/stopped) 2 (2)を正しく並べかえなさい。 3 (3)(4)(6)に入る適切な語を選びなさい。  (3)(a car/an accident/a habit/a license)  (4)(lower/higher/more/bigger)  (5)(found/been/made/called) 4 英語では「2泊3日」はどのように言うか、本文に即して答えなさい。 5 ァ、How to become a japanese   ィ、Opposites in advertsing are difficult   ゥ、Living abroad can be confusing   ェ、Living abroad is dangerous   ォ、East never meets West では、よろしくお願いします!!!

• 英語
  • 回答数1
  • ありがとう数0

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • sayshe
  • ベストアンサー率77% (4555/5904)
回答No.1

私が何年間も日本で暮らしているので、あなたは私がここでの暮らしにすっかり慣れていると思うでしょう。しかし、アメリカで育ってこちらでの生活は私の20歳代の初めのころからなので、今でもまだ、毎日の生活で私を戸惑わせることがいくつかあるのです。 アメリカでは、車は右側通行になっていますが、日本では左側通行が法律になっています。私はこちらでの運転歴も長いのでたいていは何の問題もありません。しかし、2,3週間母国に帰った旅の後では、私が曲がるために指示器で合図する時、自分が車のワイパーのスィッチを入れていることにしばしば気付きます。また、私が停車する時も、ほとんどのドライバーの手順に比べて私には多くの時間がかかります、と言うのは、先に右側を見る習慣が私にはつかないからです。私は無意識に先に左側をそれから右側を見てしまいます。でも、心配しないでください。私は今までにまだ事故を起こしたことはありません。 後2つ正反対のことがあります。何か特売がないかと思って私は新聞の広告に目を通します。何かが安売りになっていると、広告には70%から50%オフの様に書いてあります。70%は私の注意を引きますが、パーセントが下がるのが私には不思議に思えます。アメリカでは、広告にはしばしば先に低いパーセントが書いてあります、そして、その後に高いパーセントが来るのです。50%が素晴らしく思えた後に70%が比較して最高に思えるのです。2つ目は、私が日本語を話す時、私は自動的に日本語で考えます。しかしときどき私を止めて一瞬英語で考えさせる2.3の言い回しがあります。例えば、私が旅行の長さについて話している時は、私は逆さまに考えなければなりません。日本語では、旅行が2泊3日と言いますが、アメリカでは逆に言われます。 ある有名な英国の作家が彼の詩で次の様に書きました、「東は東西は西、そしてこの2つは決して会うことがない。」便利な飛行機旅行とインターネットは私たちの世界を国境のない世界にしました。私たちが正反対を取り除くことができさえすれば、東洋と西洋は簡単に出会うことができるでしょう。 1. (1) returning (5) to stop 2. (2) it takes me more time than 3. (3) an accident (4) higher (6) made 4. three days and two nights 5. ウ 外国で暮らすことは困惑する場合もある。

関連するQ&A

• 和訳お願いします!

The german soccer players are okay but I think there are better ones from other teams. But what a shame that Spain doesn't have a chance to win the world cup anymore. Really? I also was in Barcelona last summer, when exactely were you there? And this year from August to Feburary of the next year I'm going to study in Barcelona for half a year And Spain in general is a great country, you should also go to the south, for example to Málaga, Cádiz, Granada or Sevilla. 少し解読が難しいです、よろしくお願いします!

• 和訳お願いいたします

There is a slight change in my plans ... but it's good ... I don't need to work on the 10th of January. So I will arrive from Osaka on Friday the 7th of January and will go back to Osaka on Tuesday morning on the 11th of January. For this weekend I'm wondering which hotel I should book. Which one do you think is better? 〇or〇. I think the hotel in Shinagawa is nicer ... but maybe you want to have a different location. What do you think? For me it's the same.

• この英文を和訳していただきたいです。

和訳お願いします。 What makes somebody attractive? And this can be asked at all sorts of levels but a simple level is what makes for a pretty face? So,these are,according to ratings,very attractive faces. They are not the faces of real people. What's on the screen are computer generated faces of a Caucasian male and a Caucasian female who don't exist in the real world. But through using this sort of computer generation,and then asking people what they think of this face,what they think of that face,scientists have come to some sense as to what really makes a face attractive,both within cultures and across cultures. And that's something which we're going to devote some time to when we talk about social behavior,and in particular,when we talk about sex .Not all attractiveness,not all beauty of course,is linked to sex. So,pandas for instance,like this panda,are notoriously cute,and I don't have anything to say about it really. It's just a cute picture(laughter).

• この英文の和訳お願いします。

What makes somebody attractive? And this can be asked at all sorts of levels but a simple level is what makes for a pretty face? So,these are,according to ratings,very attractive faces. They are not the faces of real people. What's on the screen are computer generated faces of a Caucasian male and a Caucasian female who don't exist in the real world. But through using this sort of computer generation,and then asking people what they think of this face,what they think of that face,scientists have come to some sense as to what really makes a face attractive,both within cultures and across cultures. And that's something which we're going to devote some time to when we talk about social behavior,and in particular,when we talk about sex .Not all attractiveness,not all beauty of course,is linked to sex. So,pandas for instance,like this panda,are notoriously cute,and I don't have anything to say about it really. It's just a cute picture(laughter).

• 和訳お願いいたします

It was my pleasure to look for your hair dryer ... this way it made me feel I could do something for you and that makes me very happy. Of course you can use my towels. Actually I also have an extra bath robe you can use. You can use everything in my house ... please consider my house as your home for Do we take off our shoes when we enter the house? Generally speaking ... no. But in my house yes. I always take of my shoes when I enter the house and put on my slippers. And I also ask everybody who enters to do this. (I will prepare slippers for you). So in the house I walk around with my slippers and to go to the bedroom I take off my slippers. But I think in Japanese house it's a little bit different. The part of the house where you can't wear shoes, the floor is a little bit higher, no? Can you be honest ... have you never walked in your house with your shoes? Really never? You were never a naught girl? hahaha

• できるだけ早く和訳お願いします!!

"Somebody must listen ," answered the Frog, " and I like to do all the talking myself. It saves time, and prevents arguments." "But I like arguments," said the Rocket. "I hope not," said the Frog complacently. "Arguments are extremely vulgar, for everybody in good society holds exactly the same opinions. Good-bye a second time; I see my daughters in the distance;" and the little Frog swam away. "You are a very irritating person," said the Rocket, "and very ill-bred. I hate people who talk about themselves, as you do, when one wants to talk about oneself, as I do. It is what I call selfishness, and selfishness is a most detestable thing, especially to anyone of my temperament, for I am well known for my sympathetic nature. In fact, you should take example by me ; you could not possibly have a better model. Now that you have the chance you had better avail yourself of it, for I am going back to Court almost immediately. I am a great favourite at Court; in fact , the Prince and Princess were married yesterday in my honour. Of course you know nothing of these matters, for you are a provincial."

• 和訳教えてください。

When you vacation, do you go as a tourist or as a travelar? I dare say that most people have never asked themselves this question. But for me, there is a definite distinction between the two. When one considers travel as a possible means of bridging cultural gaps in our shrinking global village, the nuances behind these words become important. In my opinion (based on years of observing visitors to my adopted home, Paris), tourists are more likely to maintain a distance between themselves and the places that they visit. Their purpose in traveling is to "see the sights", take photos and have their photos taken in front of famous sights. They often travel in tour groups, which offer the advantage of obtaining cursory information about the sights visited, but also have the disadvantage of discouraging individual discovery. In contrast, travelers interact much more with the people and places found at their travel destinations. They enjoy not only the main sights, but also the back streets and hidden neighborhoods in and around their destinations. They seek out the things that distinguish the places visited from their home territory. They observe the local culture and inhabitants, and seek to understand them. And in the process,they share information about their own culture. When I moved to France, I did so as a traveler. Not only was I determined to learn about the various peoples who live there, why they came and how they live, but I also made up my mind to visit other countries with the same perspective. As a result, my voyages have been much fuller and richer, and my understanding and appreciation of my own American culture has deepened. よろしくお願いします。

• これの和訳を教えてください。

Recently, Nakagawa et al. have numerically studied the planetary growth and shown that the growth times of the Earth and Jupiter are orders 10^6~10~7 yrs and 10^7~10^8 yrs, respectively. But, for the case of Neptune, a very long time, which is comparable to or longer than the age of the solar system, is needed for the growth ( these growth times, nevertheless, are shorter by a factor of 10 or 100 than those obtained by Safronov). As they have pointed out for themselves, their results are not always final but tentative because in their calculation some assumptions and simplifications are made for the sake of convenience; one of these is that for the rates of collision and of gravitational scattering due to the mutual encounters between planetesimals, formulae in a free space (i.e., without the influence of the solar gravity) are used.

• 和訳をお願いいたします!

下記の英文を日本語に翻訳してもらえますでしょうか? 翻訳サイトの訳文ではほとんど内容が理解できませんでした、どうかお願いいたします。 At this time it is morning here in Valparaiso. I hope we keep in touch, I enjoy your photos in the Asian port. I hope to post pictures of my port then, but unfortunately I'm strapped and I have my camera and my computer at a pawn shop soon I hope to recover my stuff. I have been uploading photos from a couple of years. In a couple of days begins the season of fruits and cruise for 5 months come many ships. - Well I say goodbye and greetings from Valparaiso

• 長文和訳お願いします!

長文和訳お願いします! 読みにくかったらすみません My dear 〇〇 I'm slowly getting over my jet lag and getting used to my normal life again. Life in Japan was so easy for my ... everyday eating out in a restaurant, hotel room got cleaned every day ... In Belgium I need to do all that myself ... it is a bit of work ... but part of me is happy to be back in my own house ... and not havening to live out of my suitcase. But at the same time I'm very sad that I have left Japan and that I'm now so far away from you.