• ベストアンサー

[文章],were they...

この、途中から始まるwere they... というのはなんでしょうか。 文法的に説明していただけると助かります。 I smile to myself when I consider the ridiculous insignificance into which literature and all the sciences would sink, were they made hereditary.

• 英語
  • 回答数2
  • ありがとう数0

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
noname#145074
noname#145074
回答No.2

#1さんの解釈で正解なんですけれども、もう少し丁寧に(失礼)説明すると 本文の I smile to myself when I consider [the ridiculous insignificance] (into which literature and all the sciences would sink, were they made hereditary). (......)が「前置詞+関係代名詞」の形の形容詞節で[........]が先行詞になっています。 もとの関係代名詞のない形に直すと Literature and all the sciences would sink into the ridiculous insignificance if they were made hereditary.という仮定法過去の基本的な形になります。 「もし文学そしてすべての科学というものが、代々受け継がれて行っていないとしたら、沈み込むように馬鹿げた無意味なものへと姿を変えてしまうだろう。」 ●条件節の"if"を省略すると、形だけ疑問文の形になります。 "if they were made hereditary"→"were they made hereditary" それで本文のようになりました。 [the ridiculous insignificance] (into which literature and all the sciences would sink, were they made hereditary) ** sink into ~=~の中へ沈み込む→→→~へと落ちぶれ変わり果てる 「もし文学そしてすべての科学というものが、代々受け継がれて行っていないとしたら、落ちぶれ変わり果てるであろう馬鹿げた無意味な姿」 ●本文全体の訳 「もし文学そしてすべての科学というものが、代々受け継がれて行っていないとしたら、落ちぶれ変わり果てるであろう馬鹿げた無意味な姿を思うと、独りほくそ笑むのである。」

その他の回答 (1)

• bakansky
  • ベストアンサー率48% (3502/7245)
回答No.1

仮定だと思います。if they were hereditary と同じことでは?

関連するQ&A

• 今年の一橋大学(前期)の英語の読解問題を解いています。

今年の一橋大学(前期)の英語の読解問題を解いています。 その中でわからない文法事項があるので、質問させてください。 "I smile to myself when I consider the ridiculous insighnificance into which literature and all the sciences would sink, were they made hereditary,"commented a well-known thinker in 1791,・・・ と続くのですが、後半部の「, were they made hereditary」はどのような解釈をしたらいいのでしょうか。 仮定法でIfが省かれたのかと思ったのですが、それだと、帰結節に助動詞がないことに違和感があります。 あと、この文で言っている「well-known thinker in 1791」というのは誰のことですか。 以上、よろしくお願いします。

• なぜtheyか

I have been dating a person for a few years on and off. I also struggle with alcohol abuse. A few months ago, I had what I consider to be a rock-bottom moment: I showed up quite drunk to a dinner date with my partner and behaved awfully, then broke down and laid out a plan to get sober. The next day, I checked into a detox and have been sober since. That night, my partner told me they loved me, and after they left they told me they would see me soon. https://slate.com/human-interest/2018/04/dear-prudence-will-i-lose-my-job-offer-if-i-dont-pass-this-background-check.html なぜtheyとなっているのでしょうか?誰のことでしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• 英作の添削お願いします

Do you think you should force yourself to smile even when you feel unhappy? Why why not? Write a passage of 5 sentences in English explaining your answer. に対する私の英作です。 I think I should force myself to smile even when I feel unhappy. It is not good that we feel unhappy for a long time. We need to change unhappy into happy. I belive the action can control feeling. If I force myself to smile, I will become feel happy. 宜しくお願いします(>_<)

• the way they look の関係詞の省略

次の問題の文法的な構造がよくわからないので、質問させていただきます。 空所補充 From ( ) they look, I would say that they failed. 1.what 2.at which 3.the point 4.the way 答えは、4番なのですが、the way they look となったときの、the way と theyの間に省略されている関係詞は、whichですか?それともhowなのでしょうか?いろいろ考えた挙句混乱してきたので、力を貸してください。また、1. what でない理由も教えていただけると幸いです。

• よろしくお願いします

I am also constantly paranoid that people are talking about me, which I have found out that they do, and often. They say things such as, "She doesn't deserve to be part of (specific group here)." My crush's best friend is the leader of most of these things. I care way too much about what people think about me. This also has lead to me thinking badly about myself. They think about me as lesser than them, I think that too. I actually start to speak up, or be myself, I do/say something stupid, and then I go back into my shell. I am constantly beating myself down with my thoughts. What do I do? think aboutをthink ofに変えるとどうニュアンスが違ってくるでしょうか?あと、They think about me as lesser than themの訳も教えてください。よろしくお願いします

• 仮定法を使った英文

If it were not for you, I would not succeed. の前後にI think をつけても問題はないのですか? つまり、 I think that if it were not for you, I would not succeed. または If it were not for you, I would not succeed, I think . おわかりになる方教えてください。

• 文章解釈

添付ファイル文章 if they like it, they’ll read it as it is— に関する質問です。 添付ファイル文章の文脈中で、どのような意味として使われているのか理解できないです。 I would not, in fact, venture into these rather vague and uninteresting explanations but would simply begin without any introduction—if they like it, they’ll read it as it is— 「わたしは実際、このようなかなり曖昧でくだらない説明に着手せず、ただ一切の説明抜きで始めるだろう。(彼らがそれが好きならそのまま読むだろう)。」 解説宜しくお願いします。

• setting

When my son told me they were getting engaged, I said that I would love it if they would accept the engagement ring that I received from my grandfather when I was 18. My grandfather gave me a diamond, which I put in a setting. ここでの settingはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• 文章の和約をお願いします

When consulted in Spain, Charles was torn between taking them to Caserta, where the Royal Palace was being finished, or leaving them where they were, in which case, as he commented sardonically, if the worst did happen at least they would be the joy of excavators two thousand yeay hence. いまいちどのようにして訳していいのかがわかりません。和訳していただけると幸いです。

• wishについて

”Are we lost?” "I think so. I wish we ____a map with us today" ____に入るのが (1)were bringing (2)brought (3)had brought (4)would bring のどれが入るのかわかりません。当てはまる番号がそうしてなのか教えてください。 同じく The medicine made me feel dizzy.I felt as though the room ____around and araund. の文で、 (1)were spinning (2)will spin (3)spins (4)would be spinning についてもどれが入るのか教えてください。またどうしてかも教えてください。よろしくお願いします。