指示代名詞thatについて

このQ&Aのポイント
  • that refers back to something that you have already talked about or understand. It might not always be something specific, as in the example I gave of a specific house.
  • when we use 'so' in this sentence, we really mean 'that is the case'.
  • The question is about the sentence 'Well, it isn’t that good of a school.' The previous sentence explains that 'that' doesn't always refer to something specific, in this case, it might refer to schools that are better.
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

指示代名詞thatについて

あるpodcastのスクリプトです。 “That” refers back to something that you have already talked about or understand. It might not always be something specific, as in the example I gave of a specific house. Someone may say, “Well, I’m going to go to Harvard University,” and you say, “Well, it isn’t that good of a school.” The “that” refers to perhaps schools that are better even though you don’t have a specific school in mind. ちなみに、3行目の“in the example”とは、以下の文章を補足しておきます。 “That” in a sentence refers back to something previous in the conversation or something that both of the people who are talking understand. For example you might say, “You know the house that we saw last week over in Santa Monica? Well, my brother’s house is that big.” It’s the same size. I’m referring first to something that we both understand or both know. When we use “so” in this sentence, we really mean “ 前置きがながくなりましたが、 質問は、“Well, it isn’t that good of a school.”という文章についてです。 その前の文章にthatはいつも明確な(specificな)ものを指すわけではないという説明が書いてあり、この場合のthatはschools that are betterの事をおそらく言うといっています。 既出の名詞の反復を避ける場合にthisやthatを使う時、それがspecificである時とそうでないことがあるという点は、納得というか,それはそれでいいのですが、 今回質問を投稿させてもらったのは、この “Well, it isn’t that good of a school.” と答えた意味(ニュアンス)をお聞きしたかったからです。 相手が、“Well, I’m going to go to Harvard University,” (私はハーバード大学に行くつもりです)と言ったので、“Well, it isn’t that good of a school.”と答えた。 もしもこのthatがschools that are betterとすると、答えた人は何を言いたかったのでしょうか。 「ハーバード大学(it)はそんな良い学校の一つではないよ」と、ハーバードだけが良い学校ではないと言いたいのでしょうか。 よろしくお願いいたします。

• 英語
  • 回答数1
  • ありがとう数1

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
回答No.1

that big, that good のように,形容詞・副詞の前につく that は 日本の辞書ではその性質上,副詞とされています。 普通には「家」のパターンのように,「それほど(大きい・よい)」 であり,何か「それ」にあたる分量・程度が前にあるはずです。 結局,「それ,その」という普通の that と同じ。 ただ,後に名詞がくるのでなく,形容詞や副詞がくる。 一方,ハーバード大のパターンのように,not that で, 特に何かと比較するのでなく,「あまり~でない」という意味にもなります。 とにかく,ハーバード大学はあまりいい学校でもない, こう言っています。 「みんなが思うほど,一般的に言われているほど」と補うこともできるのでしょうが, この not that は not very に近く,「あまり~でない」という意味合いです。 >もしもこのthatがschools that are betterとすると ちょっと意味することがわかりません。

maminc
質問者

お礼

wind-sky-windさん さっそくの回答をありがとうございます。 「thisやthatのあとには数量や程度を表す形容詞や副詞が用いれらる時があり、副詞的用法ともいえる」 というのをwind-sky-windさんの説明を読んで知りました。 加えてもう一つ教えていただいた、not that「あまり~でない」というのを組み合わせると、 意味もよくわかりました。 >もしもこのthatがschools that are betterとすると というのは、文中に "that” refers to perhaps schools that are better とあったので、 「thatが指すものがschools that are better であるとすると」と言いたかったのです。 とにかく、即答していただいたので、 私の質問が勉強不足であると反省します。 すっきりしましたし、勉強になりました。 どうもありがとうございました。

関連するQ&A

• thatの用法が分かりません。

When you enter into a conversation to someone, write a letter, report,you have to have something to say, some purpose, and a interest of expressing that something, whatever it is. 長文問題(出典とかは分からないです)でこんなのが出てきました。意味は分かるんですがexpressingのあとのthatって文法的にどんな役割をしてるんですか?

• 名詞節のthatか関係代名詞のthatか

ビジュアル英文解釈P97より Discover what your students do not know and then try to explain it to them in a way that everyone will understand. このthatは、名詞節のthatかなと思うのですがどうでしょうか?伊藤和夫は、このthatは関係代名詞のthat「学生が何を知らないかを発見し、次にそれを誰にでも分かる方法で説明するようにつとめなさい」だと言っていますが、その場合、元となるのが、understand a wayとなり方法を理解するというのが基礎となってしまい、本文の趣旨とずれると思います。 すると、a wayの内容を説明する名詞節のthatととらえたほうが良いのかなと思います。 また、いちおう高校で教鞭をとっているので、初歩的な説明(完全文とか不完全文とか)は省略して頂いても構いません。手間になってしまうと思いますので。 There are a few general principles that apply to all the kinds of teaching. The first principle is that the teacher should be clear. Whatever you are teaching, teach clearly. Discover what your students do not know and then try to explain it to them in a way that everyone will understand. Use many examples and illustrations. Allow enough time for discussion. A good pupil is seldom silent. Patience is the second principle. Nothing worth learning can be learned quickly. Real teaching is not just giving information. It involves a conversion, an actual change in the pupil's mind, and this does not happen quickly. Lessons should be carefully planned and plenty of time allowed for repetition and review. Emotion should be controlled. Whenever we become too emotional as teachers, we are forgetting that conscious reason is what makes us men and not animals. The third principle is responsibility. Anyone who teaches should realize that it is a serious matter to guide another person's life.

• thatについて

Sounds like a request (or a request with pressure) like it may be a suprise party, something else mysterious or that you have something unpleasant to discuss with them. これは英語で書かれた本に書かれていた文です。 that you have something unplesant to discuss with them について質問があります。冒頭のthatは関係詞だと思うのですが、何にかかるのでしょうか?

• thatについて・・・

Sounds like a request (or a request with pressure) like it may be a suprise party, something else mysterious or that you have something unpleasant to discuss with them. これらは英語で書かれた本に書かれていた文です。 that you have something unplesant to discuss with them について質問があります。冒頭のthatは関係詞だと思うのですが、何にかかるのでしょうか?

• thatについて

But according to some native American tribes, hunters killed a great bear in the sky. Its blood turned some leaves red, and while the hunters cooked it in a pot, its fat turned some leaves yellow. I love that story, but what I love, too, about fall and the fall foliage is it bitter sweet quality. There's something melancholy about the beautiful leaves falling from the trees. You know that song, "Autumn in New York." That sums it up for me, that mingling of love and pain. この英文の最後の行の That sums it up for me, that mingling of love and pain.  that が2つ書かれてますが、それぞれ何を指してるのですか?どう訳していけば良いのですか? 教えて下さい。よろしくお願いします。

• 英文和訳

この英文の和訳をおねがいします something pretty that you put in a place or top of something to make it look attractive お願いします_(_^_)_

• it thatなどの代名詞について

Each state legislature has the power to intoroduce a bill to make or repeal a law. But that law has to be ratifield by the state government, usually in a referendum. Once that happen, it is acually up to a judge to decide if a crime warrants it and pass sentence. で、 (1)Once thatのthatは、前文を受けてthatとなっているのでしょうか?それともlawでしょうか? また、 (2)it is acuallyとwarrants itのitは何をさしているのでしょうか?lawでしょうか、前文全体でしょうか? すみません、どうも、指示代名詞のitとかthatとが複数でてくると掴みづらくなってしまいます。 お手数ですが、宜しくお願いします。

• That if you....

下のインタビューにおける質問で、Thatから始まる文が、前の文につながっていることは調べてわかったのですが、That if you ...以下の文が意味的にどう前の疑問文に関係するのかがはっきりしません。 解説をお願いできますでしょうか。 I've spoken to other doctors who admittedly say that this (医学)isn't their passion, their passion is golfing or doing something else. How much of this is a passion, and how much is this a duty you feel? That if you walked away, you would be walking away from something that is more important to the world than just yourself?

• 長文中のこのthatは関係代名詞?

よろしくお願いします。 第2文のthat we see のthatは関係代名詞ですか。 もしそうなら先行詞はどれでしょうか? Writers who generate verbal fog seldom hesitate to suggest to confused readers that the problem is theirs. (言葉の霧を作っている作家は、混乱している読者に対してその問題を読者の問題ということを示唆するのをめったにためらわない) I think this is the real reason -far more than ignorance of technique -that we see so much more bad than good writing. (私はこれは技法に関する無知以上に、良い文よりもっと悪い文を多く見る本当の理由だと思う。) It provides a comouflage,a mask ,a shield of technique behind which we hide,hoping no one sees through to the frightened little writer. (それはカモフラージュ、マスク、あるいは技法の楯を作り、私たちはその後ろに隠れて、 だれもそれを見通して恐れている小心な作家を見ないことを望む。) おしえてください。

• このitは指示代名詞でしょうか

Some leading thinkers are saying that at no stage in history has the threat of war been as strong as it is now. という文の文末部分の as it is now ですが、 このitは指示代名詞で the threat of war でしょうか。 すなわち、 Some leading thinkers are sayin that at no stage in history has the threat of war been as strong as the threat of war been is strong now. という文が元々の文でしょうか。