Appeal from a custody transfer judgment

このQ&Aのポイント
  • The wife appealed from a judgment transferring custody of the minor children from her to her husband.
  • The Supreme Court held that there was insufficient evidence to authorize the change in custody, as the inference of illicit conduct against the wife and a third-party witness was based on their refusal to testify.
  • The issue of whether the court erred in denying a supersedeas was considered moot.
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

英訳をお願い致します。

Appeal by wife from a judgment of the Superior Court, DeKalb County, Judge Curtis, transferring custody of minor children from wife who was awarded custody in divorce decree to husband. The Supreme Court, Ingram, J., held that inference that wife and third-party witness were guilty of illicit conduct could be drawn from their refusal to testify as to their relationship and conduct, that evidence was insufficient to authorize change in custody, and that issue of whether court erred in denying supersedeas was moot. デキャルブ郡、高等裁判所のカーティス裁判官の判断により、妻が離婚時に得た親権を夫に移すように言われたことに対し妻は上訴した。 最高裁判所のイングラム裁判官は、妻と第三者は非道徳的行為の罪。。。。。。。 ちょっとっよくわからなくありました。 third-party witness は第三の証言者ではなく「第三者」という訳でいいでしょうか? どうぞ、教えて下さい。

• 英語
  • 回答数4
  • ありがとう数3

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
noname#154556
noname#154556
回答No.3

Answer No.1です。 >>Illicit conductは、多分、恋愛関係の事を指しているとは思うのですが多分、それが子供の環境によくないから父親が親権を訴えてるのだと思いますが。いかがでしょう? Illicit conduct between former wife and third party affecting welfare of minor children whose custody had been awarded to wife in divorce decree could be proved by circumstantial evidence submitted by husband who sought transfer of custody of children to him. 仰られる通りだと思います。とりあえず 本文には「子供の生活に影響が出るであろうthe illicit conduct(浮気ですかね?)は、父親が提出した状況証拠から証明されそうだ」といってますから、そうでしょう。 >>そして、「法令は双方が一部のことに対し、嫌な推論にあっても民事事件の立証を拒否することからまのがれないとする」って言ってると思いますがどうでしょう? Statute providing that no party shall be required to testify as to certain matters does not preclude the drawing of an unfavorable inference from refusal to testify in a civil case. これはちょっと・・・。「ある事柄についての証言を強制的に求めないという法令は、民事事件での証言の拒否から、(或る人にとって)好ましくない手掛かりを探し出すことについてはそれを認める。」 つまり証言を拒否したということに対して色々探りを入れていいということですね。 こんな感じですが、不具合あればご指摘お願い致します。

studyveryhard
質問者

お礼

たびたび、ご親切にご指導して頂き感謝です。 有難うございます。

その他の回答 (3)

noname#202629
noname#202629
回答No.4

下記の意味を理解すれば訳しやすくなると思う。 hold: 22. transitive verb LAW decide something legally: to decide or lay down something legally or authoritatively http://encarta.msn.com/dictionary_1861618278/hold.html supersedeas: a writ ordering a stoppage or suspension of a judicial proceeding, of the execution of a judgment, or of the enforcement of another writ. 訴訟休止令状 http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/supersedeas?r=66 inference 2.a conclusion or opinion arrived at by inferring http://www.yourdictionary.com/inference http://dic.yahoo.co.jp/dsearch?p=%E6%8E%A8%E5%AE%9A&stype=0&dtype=0 最高裁は以下を支持した、・・と判断を下した 1)理解されているはず。 2)子供の親権をかえる裁定を下すには母親の言い分(物証・証言)は不十分である。 3)高等裁が訴訟休止令状を誤って発令しなかったかどうかの論点には議論の余地がある=高等裁は訴訟休止礼状を発令する必要はなかった=高等裁の判断は正しかった

studyveryhard
質問者

お礼

なるほど~と思いました。英語で英語をひくのも勉強の手ですね。 いつも色々教えてくれて有難うございます。

• wyeatearp
  • ベストアンサー率43% (110/254)
回答No.2

ひと言::::::: third-party witness は第三の証言者ではなく「第三者」という訳でいいでしょうか? third-party witnessは【第三の証人】ではなく【第三者の証人】です。文法で云う第三人称にあたる立場の人間を総称します。 ご参考まで。

studyveryhard
質問者

お礼

ご回答有難うございます。 やはり、第三者は、恋人のことを指してたみたいです。 英語って難しいです。

noname#154556
noname#154556
回答No.1

デキャルブ郡、高等裁判所のカーティス裁判官の判断により、妻が離婚時に得た親権を夫に移すように言われたことに対し妻は上訴した。 ここまでは大体私も同じ感じだったので省かせていただきます。 最高裁のイングラム・J(裁判官のなのかわからないのでこのまま放置しますorz)は、彼らがどういう関係だったか、またどんな決めごとをしてたのかを証言することを双方が拒否しているということから、その妻と第3の証人との間によくない取り決めがあったということが考えられ、彼らの言う証拠は親権を取り返すには不十分。また裁判所が妻の親権獲得を却下したことについて誤りがあったかどうかという問題は議論の余地がある、などとほのめかした。 ちょっとその事件を知らなかったのでevidenceがなんなのか、conductの内容などはわからなかったのですが、裁判所の判断は夫よりだと思ったのでこんな感じの訳になりました。参考程度に。

studyveryhard
質問者

補足

一応文章の続きを載せました。Illicit conductは、多分、恋愛関係の事を指しているとは思うのですが多分、それが子供の環境によくないから父親が親権を訴えてるのだと思いますが。いかがでしょう? Illicit conduct between former wife and third party affecting welfare of minor children whose custody had been awarded to wife in divorce decree could be proved by circumstantial evidence submitted by husband who sought transfer of custody of children to him. そして、「法令は双方が一部のことに対し、嫌な推論にあっても民事事件の立証を拒否することからまのがれないとする」って言ってると思いますがどうでしょう? Statute providing that no party shall be required to testify as to certain matters does not preclude the drawing of an unfavorable inference from refusal to testify in a civil case. Code, § 38-1205.

関連するQ&A

• 英訳の解釈があってるか見てもらえませんか? 

すみません、おおざっぱです。 どなたか訳を教えて下さい。 The father's case for a change in custody is largely dependent upon proof of illicit conduct by the mother and the third-party witness affecting the welfare of the children. 親権変更を訴える父親の案件は、母親と第三者(母親の愛人、恋人)による不道徳な行いが子供の福祉に影響するという証拠が大きく影響する。 Illicit conduct of the character sought to be proved by the father against the mother in this case can be proved by circumstantial evidence.  不道徳な行いについての状況的な証拠が父親によって証明されえることができる。 If an unfavorable inference can be drawn from the refusal of the mother and third-party witness to testify to the questions concerning their alleged illicit conduct, it does furnish sufficient corroboration of the other circumstances shown by the evidence tending to prove such conduct and the trial court must be affirmed. もし、疑惑の不道徳行為を母親と恋人が立証することを拒否し好ましくない推論が引き出されたら、証拠はその様な行いを証拠づける傾向があることによって他の状況の十分な裏づけ証拠として提出される(みなされる) The mother's counsel argues vigorously that: ‘Any implication or suspicions that there (was) illicit sexual intercourse between the (mother) and the witness . . . which might have arisen because of (the mother's) refusal to answer certain questions and because of the witness' . . . refusal to answer certain questions is not legal evidence, and the refusal of a party or witness to answer certain questions under the protection afforded him by law is not an admission or is it to be considered as an admission of such conduct.’ 母親側の法廷弁護団は、精力的に「どんな予測、疑いでも不道徳な性交渉が母親と愛人にあった、 なぜなら母親が質問に答えるのを拒否するのは愛人のことがあるから。。。 質問に答えないのは法的な証拠にはならないが、母親又は愛人が質問に答えないのは保護権利があるからではあるが、それにより不道徳行為をしたとみなす。」と論じる The father, through his counsel, argues just as forcefully that the law authorized the trial court to infer, from the refusal of the mother and third-party witness to testify about the details of their relationship and conduct, that they were guilty of the illicit conduct asked about in the unanswered questions. 父親は、自身の法廷弁護団から、法律が第一審裁判所が推論。。。なんとなく意味は分かるけど。文章をどうくっつけるか分かりません。 母親と愛人が関係と行いを細かく立証することを拒否 彼らは質問を答えないことで非道徳の罪がある。

• 和文英訳です。添削を宜しくお願い致します

1.最近、認知症に関する話題が多い Recently, there are many topics on dementia. 2.3月初旬、最も関心を集めたのはのは、列車事故に関する最高裁判所の判断である Early in this March, one of most drawing attention from people was Top Court judgement on rail way accident. 3.約10年前、愛知県に住む認知症の男性が列車にはねられて死亡した Almost 10 years ago, an Aichi Prefecture man was hit and killed by a train. He was suffering from dementia when he killed by a train. 4.事故の為に、JR東海に損害が生じ、約720万円の損害賠償を遺族に求めた Due to accident, railway company suffered about 7million yen. So company demanded his wife and eldest son the suffered money. 5.しかし、最高裁が請求を棄却した The Supreme Court rejected the demand. 6.今回のケースでは、この男性の妻も高齢者で、息子は同居していなかったからである In this particular case, his wife was also elderly and his son was not living with him. 7.この最高裁判決は、認知症高齢者を介護する家族らの不安を和らげた This judgment made many families who take care of elderly patients suffering from dementia lessen their worry. 8.しかし損害に対し、だれが責任を負うのかは明らかでない But it is not clear who should bear the responsibility for an accident. 9.現在日本には520万人の認知症高齢者がいる The number of elderly dementia patients is now total 5.2 million. 10.2025年には推計700万人に増加する It is expected to increase to 7 million by 2025. 11.今回のような事故が頻発する恐れがある Accidents similar may occur frequently in the future. 12. だれが損害賠償金をはらうのか  新しい保険制度が望まれる Who should pay the suffered money for an accident. New insurance systems is anxious to come out. 以上、宜しくお願い致します。

• 英文に関する問題です。

英語で実際にあったケースを読んでいます。私の理解があっているかどうかが不安のなのでどなたか見て頂けたら幸いです。おおざっぱな訳です。 よろしくお願い致します。 Mother appealed an order of the Superior Court, Forsyth County, Gault, J., which modified a previous custody order and granted primary physical custody of parties' children to father. The Court of Appeals, Johnson, C.J., held that: ある母親はフォーサイス郡、高等裁判所のゴルト裁判官の判決に上告しました。(その裁判官は、前の親権を変更して、父親の方に子供の第一主要親権を承諾しました)。 控訴裁判所のジョンソン裁判官は、以下のことを主張しました。 (1) reasonable evidence supported order modifying previous custody order and transferring primary physical custody to father based upon changed conditions; 環境の変化を元に適切な証拠が前親権へを父親に変更するよう支持した (2) trial court did not impermissibly limit evidence of father's failure to pay child support in certain years; 第一審法廷は父親が、数年にわたり養育費を支払わないことに関する証拠を制限しませんでした。 (3) trial court's inclusion of child support paid by father to mother's income for purposes of calculating her child support obligation required reversal of child support portion of judgment; and 第一審法廷は養育費を計算するために母親の所得と父親によって払われる養育費をあわせ、元々あった養育費に対する判断を再審(リバース)することができる。 (これはちょっとよく分かりません) (4) fact that father was in arrears in his child support payments did not mandate that mother retain custody of children. 父親に養育費未払いの事実があったとしても、それが母親の親権を維持することを命じてはいなかった。 Affirmed in part, reversed in part, and remanded with direction. 幾分支持し、再審し、そして再送検する。 ← これは意味不明な訳し方かもしれません。

• 英訳の分からないところお願い致します。

"I got drunk and fell over a lot. I wasn't happy," he said later that year. "And I never had a drink problem, no matter what the papers said. Not having anything to do was the hardest thing. I let myself waste away doing nothing and, for a while, I bought in to that rock'n'roll thing. I jumped from one myth to another. It was a security blanket." *ロビーウイルアムズが飲酒問題について語った時の記事です。 僕は酒を飲んでなんども転んだ。僕は幸せじゃなかった。 のあとよろしくお願いします

• 和文英訳をお願い致します。

和文英訳をお願い致します。 「あなたの話を聞いて思ったことは、あなたの人生のなかで恋人は居て当たり前なんだと思いました。 結婚前ならともかく結婚後も同じなんだな、と。 あなたの人生にとって私の存在は、その多数の恋人の中の一人なんだろうけど、私はあなたのことが純粋に好きでした。 あなたと私はやはり考え方が違うんだと実感しました。 だからあなたに対して戸惑う態度をしてしまいました。 私も貴方がいつまでも健康で平和でそして幸せであるように祈っています。」 I thought that the lover was and was natural in your life of the desire of your story because of hearing. Be not to the same after it marries at any rate if it is premarital. I purely liked you though my existence might be the one of many in the lover for your life. You and I actually felt that the idea was still different. Therefore, the attitude to be puzzled to you has been done. I also am praying that you are healthy indefinitely, peaceful, and happy. と和文英訳のエキサイトで出ましたがどうも違うように思います。 違うところを直していただきたいです。 よろしくお願い致します。

• sexual overtures

Years ago, while my wife and I were separated, I foolishly slept with “Molly,” who became pregnant with my daughter “Ally.” I reconciled with my wife, and ultimately we won custody of Ally when she was 9, after Molly went through a series of boyfriends and made repeated sexual overtures toward me. My wife has been incredible, but Molly’s influence has been strong. After completing her court-ordered therapy, Molly filed for custody when Ally was 13, and two years later Ally went to live with her permanently. Ally went from respectful and sweet to insubordinate and cruel. Finally, she used racial epithets against my wife and stepdaughters, and I threw her out of the house. She did the same thing when my wife and I came to her high school graduation. Molly looked so proud of her. Ally is now 21. I haven’t spoken to her beyond a phone call on Christmas and her birthday unless she needs money. My wife openly grieves for the little girl that we lost, and my stepdaughters refuse to acknowledge Ally. made repeated sexual overturesとfiled for custodyの意味を教えてください。あと、ここでのacknowledgeの意味も教えてください。よろしくお願いします

• 英訳

(The lectures here are not in any way meant to be a survey course , but are very serious .) I thought to address them to the most intelligent student in the class and to make sure, if possible, that even the most intelligent student was unable to completely encompass everything that was in the lectures-by putting in suggestions of applications of ideas and the concepts in various directions outside the main line of attack. という英文ですが、 (1)I thought to address~とありますが、これはどういうことでしょうか?and でto address と to make を結んでいるのでしょうか? (2)どこが主語でどこが述語として見ていいのか分からず、全体の意味がさっぱりわかりません。 よろしくお願いします。 ()の中の英文は大丈夫です。

• 和文英訳です。添削を宜しくお願い致します

8月31日、札幌で中学生の英語弁論大会が開催された。 August 31, English speech contest of Junior High school was held in Sapporo. 参加した中学校は17校で、各校から二名の代表がスピーチした。 The junior high schools which participated in the competition were 17 and two representatives gave a speech from each school. 孫がスピーチするのを知って、家内と一緒に観にいった。 My wife and I went to public hall for support as we knew our grand sun would have speech. 観客は大部分が中学生徒たちであり、父兄の観客は非常に少なかった。 The audience were mainly junior high school students and parents and grandparents were very few. 孫のスピーチタイトルは「世界平和への架け橋」だった。 The speech title of my grandson was ”A bridge to the world peace”. 4分近くのスピーチを途切れる事無く、見事に成し遂げた。 He achieved the speech fluently for nearly four minutes. しかし、他の演説も皆流暢だった。 But not only my grandson, almost all speaker accomplished fluently. その上、ネイティブに近い発音でスピーチする生徒が多かった。 There were many students who gave a speech by the pronunciation that was near to a native. 話の内容から判断して、何人かは海外居住の経験がある様だった。 Judging from the contents of their speech, it seems that some of them had experience staying abroad. 34名がスピーチしたが、29名が三年生で残り5名は二年生である。 The total of speaker was 34 students and 29 were 3rd grade at junior night school. The rest 5 was 2nd grade. 孫は入賞できなかったが、まだ二年生である。 My grandson couldn’t get the winning prize. But he is now 2nd grade. 来年の弁論大会にもぜひ参加して貰いたいものである。 I want him to participate in a speech contest of the next year by all means. 以上です。宜しくお願いします。

• 英訳お願いいたします(´∵)

すいません。どうしてもここがわかりません。どなたか手を貸していただけたら幸いです。 At the beginning of our period the code of the Poor law, as established by legislation in 1833,inspired by Chadwick and Senior,was still in operation. Its emphasis was heavily on the treatment of the pauper as less than a normal citizen,and on the avoidance of relief in the home as far as possible. From 1909,as we have seen,largely due to the work of Fabians,an entirely new approach captured the field,aiming at a practical reversal of chadwick's ideas the third declaration of policy,that embodied in the (Bevrridge) Report of the Interdepartmental Committee on Social Insurance and Allied Services of 1942,although revolutionary in many respects,must properly be regarded as a logical development of the ideas which had already been made explicit in1909.

• 英訳してください!!!

In 1939, Japanese diplomat Chiune Sugihara was stationed in Lithuania during one of the darkest times in human history. He saved thousands of Polish Jews from the Nazis by issuing transit visas to them. Refusing to obey his own government, he wrote visas day and night. He even wrote them quickly by hand and passed them through a train window as he Lithuania. His bold and extraordinary act was largely unknown and unsung for many years―until people who had been rescued by Sugihara began to tell his story. Soon, his courage and greatness were celebrated all over the world, catching the attention of the mass media and inspiring several authors to write books on the actions of the "Japanese Schindler". Meanwhile, the Israeli government was gathering names of "courageous rescuers" to repay their efforts. As one of the ways to express its gratitude, the government decided to plant trees in their honor. When Sugihara's courage came to light, Israeli officials immediately made plans to plant cherry trees in his memory. But suddenly, officials changed the order. They decided the cherry trees, deciding that cedar was stronger. It was only after they planted the trees that the officials learned that "Sugihara" in Japanese means ... cedar trees.