• ベストアンサー

off we went のoff について

ニュース番組のインタビューからです。 Called my son and asked him to have my bags brought up from the basementand pulled in and threw them in the car and off we went. 私が訳した和訳↓ 「息子に電話し、彼に地下室から私のバックを持って来させ荷造りをし、車に投げ込み、私たちは出発しました。」 こんな感じの訳に意味になるのでは、ないかと思うのですが、イマイチoff の意味がわかりません。 「出発した」と表したいのなら、offは不要で we went だけになるのではないのでしょうか。 なにか口語的なニュアンスでもあるのでしょうか? 文法的な説明がありましたら教えてください。 よろしくお願いいたします。

• 英語
  • 回答数2
  • ありがとう数6

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • ucok
  • ベストアンサー率37% (4288/11421)
回答No.1

「off 誰々 go」という言い回しがあるのです。直訳すると「ポンと誰それが行く」とでも申しましょうか。転じて「いざ出発!」という感じですね。「Off you go.(さあ、行ってらっしゃい)」「Off he goes.(彼、とんでったね)」など、いろいろに使えます。 この例文の場合「and we went.」なら単に「そして私たちは出発した」という感じ。しかし「and off we went.」なので、もっとスピード感があります。「びゅっ」とか「ぴゅん」という感じです。文脈からも、「私」が急いでいるのが伝わってきますよね。ちなみに「荷造りをし」とはどこにも書いてありませんが。「pulled in」は「car」をということでしょう。

参考URL:
http://eow.alc.co.jp/pull+in/UTF-8/
yumearu
質問者

お礼

なるほど~!そういう言い回しがあるんですね。 Offが文頭に来るのってなんか変と思っていましたが、そんなことないんですね。 このOffの使い方の意味を知っていると、会話文に広がりがでますね:) あと、pulled in の意味の間違いの指摘もありがとうございます。 大変参考になる回答ありがとうございました!

その他の回答 (1)

• tonsaku
  • ベストアンサー率35% (21/59)
回答No.2

"~ and we went off." ということではないでしょうか? off(副詞)が前へ移動しただけでは? なので、意味は yumearu さんのおっしゃる通りかと。 インタビューという事なので、語順が書き言葉通りにはならなかっただけでしょう。 これ以降は直接関係はありませんが... offには「分離」のイメージがあります。 ここでは、「家を離れた」というニュアンスを出すために、 単に "we went" でなく、"off" を付けたのでしょう。 例えば、家から「外出する」という場合、「家から出る」という ニュアンスを出して "We went out." と表現しますよね。 outの「外へ」というニュアンスを付け足しているのです。 今回は、もう家の外(車の所)までは来ているので、後は車を発進させて 家から「離れる」だけですから、off だったのでしょう。 また、この発言者は "went(行く)" という情報よりも "off(離れる)" という情報を先に発しました。 ということは、より話者のニュアンスを酌むなら、 「~、そして、私たちは家を後にした(離れた)。」 と訳すべきなのかもしれませんね。

yumearu
質問者

お礼

Off に関する丁寧な説明ありがとうございます! Offの意味するイメージを知っておくと、より会話のニュアンスを感じ取りやすいですね。

関連するQ&A

• so off it went とはどういう意味でしょうか?

He never intended to become a pops concert conductor. Invited by music director Rudolf to join the conducting staff in 1965, he was put in charge of the new pops concert series. And from there, it just grew. "I felt comfortable, and I guess people thought I was doing a good job, so off it went," he said by telephone from Ottawa. 後半部分の台詞は、前半部分の回想を受けての発言だと思いますが、この文の最後の方のso off it wentとはどういうニュアンスの意味でしょうか?また、文法的には倒置のようですが、どういうときにこうなるのでしょうか?

• off-grid

My boyfriend and I have been dating for 18 months and moved in together about five months ago. We live in an apartment near the center of town. He’s always been interested in sustainability and environmental issues. Recently, he’s become interested in the tiny house movement, and we’ve now had a few conversations about moving somewhere rural and off-grid. ここでのoff-gridはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• coherent

However, recently we both finished uni for the summer and have been forced to spend time apart, and when we both came back to the city we study in to celebrate his graduation, we went on a night out. I ended up still coherent, but pretty drunk, and when we came back to my student house, I (as he put it) threw myself at him. http://community.sparknotes.com/2015/08/12/auntie-sparknotes-i-was-all-over-my-boyfriend-while-drunk-but-im-scared-of-sex-when-im-sober I ended up still coherentとthrew myself at himの意味を教えてください。よろしくお願いします

• sign off

DEAR ABBY: I have an etiquette question about differences in time zones. My son is currently serving in the military overseas, and there is a 14-hour time difference. My question is: When we talk to him on the phone before we go to bed, do we tell him good night, even though it is morning or early afternoon for him? -- DIFFERENT TIME ZONES DEAR DIFFERENT TIME ZONES: Because you are in a zone in which it is night, it's only natural that you would say good night before signing off. ここでのsign offはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• play off

My husband and I have four young children. Generally, our children are well-behaved; however, sometimes they don't listen to me or my husband. It is incredibly frustrating for us, and we both lose our patience quickly with them. When this happens, we find that they start playing off one another and revolting against us. playing off one anotherはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• off the table

We’ve had a string of (really) bad roommates, but recently a good friend moved in with us. He’s amazing. He makes delicious coffee for us every morning. He cleans up. He’s a great guy. He moved in with us because he just ended a five-year relationship with his fiancée. Since he’s recently single and my roommate, he’s very much off the table, but this past weekend we got drunk and hooked up. off the tableとhooked upの意味を教えてください。よろしくお願いします

• off the sidelines

“We have to get them off the sidelines and get them to play a more active role in our economic recovery,” Rahm Emanuel, the White House chief of staff, said in an interview on Sunday. get them off the sidelines の意味を教えてください。 them = 銀行家たち

• go on off hours

My good friend and I live a considerable distance from each other. Every two months, we meet at a restaurant that's halfway between our homes, to eat and catch up. These food/gab fests last about two to three hours. We go to a place that's not overly popular, and we go on off hours. go on off hoursはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• よろしくお願いします

My husband and I were raised to eat dinner with our families. We ate what Mom prepared, or we went without. we went withoutはどのような意味でしょうか?withoutの後に何か省略されているでしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• すいません、和訳が分かりません。

“Explorers, we asked you to be pioneers, and you took what we started and went further than we ever could have dreamed. … 上記の和訳が分かりません。 すいませんが、教えてください。