• 締切済み

exposureとthe first waveの訳について

A total of 71,437 adults with disaster-related exposures on September 11 and during its immediate aftermath were enrolled in the first wave of the study. この文章は9月11日の同時テロ発生後の、心的ストレスを調査する研究についての文章です。 exposureとthe first wave of the studyの訳が分かりません。 通常、exposureは医学では「曝露」ですが、ここでは他に適訳がありますでしょうか。 また、the first waveは「1回目」とか「第1弾」という意味でしょうか。 ご指導、お願いします。

• 英語
  • 回答数1
  • ありがとう数2

みんなの回答

• KappNets
  • ベストアンサー率27% (1557/5688)
回答No.1

exposure はさらされると言うことで放射線や紫外線にさらされるのが分かり易い例ですが(カメラや裸体の露出も exposure、悪天候にさらされる場合も exposure)今の場合はストレスの原因になる体験にさらされる意味です。うまい直訳はないので適当な訳を考えて下さい。 the first wave は直訳では第一波です。研究が進むにつれてもっと別の人たちも研究対象になる可能性があることを暗示しています。日本では原爆被害者の再定義が行われていますが、それと似た意味合いです。

関連するQ&A

• 日本語訳をお願いいたします。

The Battle of Flers–Courcelette (15–22 September 1916) was fought during the Battle of the Somme in France, by the French Sixth Army and the British Fourth Army and Reserve Army, against the German 1st Army, during the First World War. The Anglo-French attack of 15 September began the third period of the Battle of the Somme but by its conclusion on 22 September, the strategic objective of a decisive victory had not been achieved.

• 日本語訳をお願いいたします。

In The World Crisis, Winston Churchill used figures from French parliamentary records of 1920, to give French casualties from 5 August to 5 September 1914 of 329,000 killed, wounded and missing, German casualties from August to November of 677,440 men and British casualties in August and September of 29,598 men. By the end of August, the French Army had suffered 75,000 dead, of whom 27,000 were killed on 22 August. French casualties for the first month of the war were 260,000, of which 140,000 occurred during the last four days of the Battle of the Frontiers. In 2009, Herwig recorded that the casualties in the 6th Army in August were 34,598, with 11,476 men killed and 28,957 in September with 6,687 men killed. The 7th Army had 32,054 casualties in August, with 10,328 men killed and 31,887 casualties in September with 10,384 men killed. In the 1st Army in August there were 19,980 casualties including 2,863 men killed and in the 2nd Army 26,222 casualties. In the last ten days of August, the 1st Army had 9,644 casualties and the 2nd Army had losses of 15,693 men. Herwig wrote that the French army did not publish formal casualty lists but that the Official History Les armées françaises dans la grande guerre gave losses of 206,515 men for August and 213,445 for September. During the battle, French casualties were c. 260,000 men, of whom c. 75,000 men were killed.

• 日本語訳をお願いいたします。

During the night, its 7th Preslav and 31st Varna Infantry Regiments had gotten within 600 meters of the line's artificial obstacles. They began their assault at about 8:00 AM on 5 September, but, in spite of suppressing fire from their artillery, met strong Romanian resistance. At 9:30 the forward units were forced to halt and take cover some 200 meters from the obstacles. This was partly a result of the shifting of positions of the Bulgarian artillery, as the 1/15 artillery section had been ordered to move forward in direct support of the advancing infantry.

• 訳をお願いします。

China press prejudices dashed  By EIICHI SHIOZAWA Kyodo BEIJING — A number of Chinese journalists saw their long-held negative views about Japan and its people change completely after traveling to the Tohoku region to cover the aftermath of the March 11 disaster, according to their reports to a recent symposium with university students in Beijing. Impressed by the orderly and patient behavior of disaster survivors and the relatively high transparency of information released, they said they developed a feeling of respect toward the Japanese. Their reports were so full of positive aspects that some of the roughly 200 students in the audience questioned whether the journalists had come across anything negative while in Japan. "The ability of the government to handle relief operations was not as high as that of the Chinese government," said Zhang Hongwei, 44, a reporter from the Chinese Business View newspaper based in Shaanxi Province. Other than that, however, the journalists only cited favorable aspects about Japan. Chen Jie, 38, a cameraman for Beijing News, was one of them. While admitting he had felt resentment and mistrust toward the Japanese for a long time, "the prejudice that I felt gradually disappeared while I was there, trying to cover the disaster damage," he said. "In the 14 days I spent on the assignment, I learned much more than I would have done if I had read books for 10 years," he added. Chen flew to Sendai on March 14 and covered disaster-hit areas, including Minamisanriku in Miyagi Prefecture and the city of Fukushima. His strongest impression of the Japanese was "the cool and collected" manner demonstrated by the people in devastated areas, including the direct survivors of the disaster. Chen said he was moved when he saw people patiently line up in front of shops amid shortages caused by the disrupted distribution channels. He noted that shop owners didn't exploit the situation by indulging in price-gouging and even family members of those who had died tried to restrain themselves from crying openly during burials. "I was surprised that I was given priority treatment at a gas station, as I had an emergency press pass," he said, showing slides of a large number of people waiting their turn to fill up. Zhang of the Chinese Business View, who visited sites in Iwate and Miyagi prefectures, said he also had been "an anti-Japan person," but through his assignment he came to realize "the Japanese deserve respect." Chen and Zhang were among more than 150 Chinese journalists sent to cover the Tohoku catastrophe. The unusually large number appears to have been partly because it was a natural disaster, not a political matter. Reporter Qin Xuan of the Southern Weekly magazine in Guangdong Province said "it must have been the first time that so many journalists flew out to cover an overseas incident." The magazine ran a special feature on the disaster with a headline saying "The nation of patience," mirroring straightforwardly the impressions that its reporters took from the stricken areas. The story touched on how Self-Defense Forces personnel gave a salute to dead people before burying them, providing a new image of the SDF, which ordinary Chinese still tend to view in light of the wartime Imperial Japanese Army. 今年5月3日のThe Japan Timesの記事です。 自分なりに訳してみたんですが… うまくまとまらず苦戦しています(><) どうかよろしくお願いします。

• 比較の文章

Every infant learns more in the first three years of life than most adults learn in a university course. という文章がありますが、この文章はどういった二つの文から構成されているんでしょうか? moreはa lotとかの比較でしょうか? また後半のlearnは省略可能でしょうか? 稚拙な質問で申し訳ありませんが、英語の文法に詳しい方、回答よろしくお願い致します。

• 訳を教えてください!!

One question I had constantly asked myself was: where does life come from, and what is its principle? But to know life one must first know death. I had much applied myself to the study of physiology and anatomy, examining and analyzing the most minute details of causation in the change from life to death-until a sudden light broke in upon me-a light so brilliant and so awful yet so simple that I became dizzy with the immensity of the perspective which it illuminated. この文章なのですが訳がよくわからないのでわかる方ヨロシクお願いいたします!!ちなみに自分で訳した結果は以下のとおりです。 私が絶えず自分に尋ねた1つの質問は,どこから命は来るか、そして、その法則は何か? 命について知るには始めに死についてしらなければならない。 私は生理学と解剖学を勉強することに専念し、命の死から変わる詳細な部分の原因まで調査、分析した。そして光が急に私を照らした。光が照らした遠近による見え方の巨大さにめまいがするほどとても輝き、とてもひどい光だった。

• 文章中のStillの位置について

下記の文章のStillの位置が疑問です。 文章の意味は永遠に家から離れてるような気持ちだった、大学1年の間あなたと同じようだったよ。という意味だと思うのですが、このStillはなぜこの位置に来るのでしょうか? わかる方よろしくお願いいたします。 ~away from home forever, still, during my first year of college I was just like you.

• ドラゴンイングリッシュ「東大に挑戦」に関する質問

問38というところで出てくる You need reliable material on which to base your study, as the value of your study is dependent, first of all, on the value of your material. という文章なのですが、訳が掲載されていないので困っています。 訳を教えていただけないでしょうか。 可能であれば、意訳ではなく、受験に耐えうる訳をおねがいしたいです。 加えて ・関係代名詞whichの使われかた ・as の使われかた ・その他熟語的要素 には訳の上での英文法的なポイントもあるように感じるのですが、 「ここはポイント」というようなところがあれば合わせて ご教示いただければ幸いです。

• 日本語訳をお願い致します。

The First, led by General Liggett, would continue to move to the Carignan-Sedan-Mezieres Railroad. The Second Army, led by Lieutenant General Robert L. Bullard, was directed to move eastward towards Metz. The two U.S. armies faced portions of 31 German divisions during this phase. The American troops captured German defenses at Buzancy, allowing French troops to cross the River Aisne, whence they rushed forward, capturing Le Chesne (the Battle of Chesne (French: Bataille du Chesne)). In the final days, the French forces conquered the immediate objective, Sedan and its critical railroad hub (the Advance to the Meuse (French: Poussée vers la Meuse)), on November 6 and American forces captured surrounding hills. On November 11, news of the German armistice put a sudden end to the fighting. The Battle of Canal du Nord was part of the Hundred Days Offensive of the First World War by the Allies against German positions on the Western Front. The battle took place in the Nord-Pas-de-Calais region of France, along an incomplete portion of the Canal du Nord and on the outskirts of Cambrai between 27 September and 1 October 1918. To prevent the Germans from sending reinforcements against one attack, the assault along the Canal du Nord was part of a sequence of Allied attacks at along the Western Front. The attack began the day after the Meuse-Argonne Offensive commenced, a day before an offensive in Belgian Flanders and two days before the Battle of St. Quentin Canal. The attack took place along the boundary between the British First Army and Third Army, which were to continue the advance started with the Battle of the Drocourt-Quéant Line, Battle of Havrincourt and Battle of Epehy. The First Army was to lead the crossing of the Canal du Nord and secure the northern flank of the British Third Army as both armies advanced towards Cambrai. The Third Army was also to capture the Escaut (Scheldt) Canal, to support the Fourth Army during the Battle of St. Quentin Canal. Construction of the Canal du Nord began in 1913 to link the Oise River to the Dunkirk–Scheldt Canal. When the First World War began, work stopped with the canal in varying stages of completion. During their retreat, the Germans made the area along the canal north of Sains-lès-Marquion virtually impassable, to dam and flood the naturally swampy ground. The only passable ground was to the south, where a small 4,000 yd (2.3 mi; 3.7 km) section of the canal between Sains-lès-Marquion and Mœuvres remained largely dry, on account of its incomplete state. Canal du Nord カナル・デュ・ノール

• 日本語訳をお願い致します。

Aftermath The battle penetrated a majority of the defenses of the Hindenburg Line and allowed the next attack (the Battle of Cambrai (1918)) to complete the penetration and begin the advance beyond the Hindenburg Line. Twelve Victoria Crosses, the highest military decoration for valour awarded to British and Commonwealth forces, were awarded for actions during the battle; • Acting Lieutenant-Colonel John Vereker, 6th Viscount Gort of the 1st Battalion, Grenadier Guards. • Captain John MacGregor, 2nd Battalion, Canadian Mounted Rifles. • Captain Cyril Hubert Frisby, 1st Battalion, Coldstream Guards. • Lieutenant Graham Thomson Lyall, 102nd (North British Columbia) Battalion, CEF. • Lieutenant Samuel Lewis Honey, 78th Battalion (Winnipeg Grenadiers), CEF. • Lieutenant George Fraser Kerr, 3rd Battalion (Toronto Regiment), CEF. • Lieutenant Milton Fowler Gregg, Royal Canadian Regiment. • Sergeant William Merrifield, 4th (Central Ontario) Battalion, CEF. • Sergeant Frederick Charles Riggs, 6th Battalion, York and Lancaster Regiment. • Corporal Thomas Neely, 8th Battalion, The King's Own Royal Regiment (Lancaster). • Lance-Corporal Thomas Norman Jackson, 1st Battalion, Coldstream Guards. • Private Henry Tandey, 5th Battalion, Duke of Wellington's Regiment (West Riding). Commemoration The Canadian participation in the Battle of the Canal du Nord is commemorated at the Canadian Bourlon Wood Memorial, located southeast of the town of Bourlon. The memorial is located on high ground beside the Bourlon Woods, giving a view of the town. The Fifth Battle of Ypres, also called the Advance of Flanders and the Battle of the Peaks of Flanders (French: Bataille des Crêtes de Flandres) is an informal name used to identify a series of battles in northern France and southern Belgium from late September through October 1918. After the German Spring Offensive of 1918 was stopped, German morale waned and the increasing numbers of American soldiers arriving on the Western Front gave the Allies a growing advantage over the German forces. To take advantage of this Marshal Ferdinand Foch developed a strategy which became known as the Grand Offensive in which attacks were made on the German lines over as wide a front as possible. Belgian, British and French forces around the Ypres Salient were to form the northern pincer of an offensive towards the Belgian city of Liège.