• ベストアンサー

reservation

インドのカースト制度についての文章です。 reservationとはアファーマティブアクションのような優先枠のことだと思いますが、正しいでしょうか。 Dalitとはカーストの最下層の人のことです。 Several years ago it became illegal to discriminate against Dalits, and reservations were made for them in law-making bodies, administration and educational institutions

• gomu
  • お礼率52% (146/276)
  • 英語
  • 回答数4
  • ありがとう数6

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • paniniXX
  • ベストアンサー率45% (38/83)
回答No.2

Dalits運動("抑圧された者">Sanskrit dal(抑圧する)+ita(過去分詞語尾) )で知られるDalitsはSC(scheduled caste指定カースト、かつてGandhiはharijanと呼んだ)の1つです。立法、行政、教育機関の重要ポストの内一定数を、必ずSCのために確保(reserve)してしておく制度があります。ご指摘の文中のreservationは複数形をとり「指定、予約、確保されたもの(=ポスト)」という意味で、「特別枠が設けられた(=reservations were made )」という意味とってよいと思います。 なお今「カースト制度」とは言わず、「ジャーティ(jati職業世襲制度)」と呼ぶのが普通です。

gomu
質問者

お礼

ありがとうございました。

その他の回答 (3)

• snowbees
  • ベストアンサー率22% (173/760)
回答No.4

下記ウエブに示すように、ハリジャンに対する優遇措置(リザーブシステム)ですが、現在では、弊害も目立つので、見直し論も盛んな様です。

参考URL:
http://www.geocities.com/TheTropics/Resort/9212/artand-cast.htm
gomu
質問者

お礼

ありがとうございました。

• wierdo
  • ベストアンサー率31% (67/212)
回答No.3

米国のaffirmative actionの解釈でよろしいかと思います。 私はこの制度そのものはVarnasrama dharmaと呼ばれていると思っていました。これは、Brahmans、Kshatriyas、Vaishyas、Shudras、の四つのvarnaで構成されており、それぞれをより細かくsub-casteとして分類する場合、jatisと呼ばれるらしいです。Dalitsは5番目のカーストとも言われていますが、varnaは飽くまでも四つだけとされていると聞きました。 DalitsはSC (scheduled caste)、Harijanとも呼ばれるようです。

gomu
質問者

お礼

ありがとうございました。

• Josimba
  • ベストアンサー率26% (24/89)
回答No.1

こんにちは。 reservationの意味を聞いてらっしゃるのですよね。 この場合、Dalitsが以前から何においても全く権利を与えられてなかった、いわゆる階級差別をなくそうと、立法府(法律を制定する組織)や、政府組織、そして教育機関における「権利」を守ろうということだと思うので、この場合のreservationは権利(rights)と解釈してもかまわないのでは?または権利の保留とか。意訳すれば、発言権とか、議席を確保する権利とか。 どうでしょうか?

gomu
質問者

お礼

ありがとうございました。

関連するQ&A

• この文脈の中の”it takes”の意味を教えてください。

以下の文、 The Obama administration says American schools should produce students who are "college and career ready." What is the best way to do that? One group that has some ideas is the National Center on Education and the Economy. Marc Tucker is president of this nonprofit organization. MARC TUCKER: "The president has called for focusing in on what it really takes to be successful in work and in college, and he has called on America's educational institutions, primary and secondary educational institutions, to do whatever it takes to get our kids college ready. That is precisely what we are doing." で、後半のMARC TUCKERの言葉の中で "it really takes" "it takes" とあるのですが、itは何を指すのかと、takaはここではどういう意味なのかわかりません。itが仮主語だとすると、takeはどう訳すのですか。 よろしくお願いします。

• 次の英文を訳してください!

長文の途中からの文なので、意味が分かりにくいところもあると思いますが、よろしくお願いします。 So what did they do? All of the teams were remarkably inventive. One group identified a problem common in a lot of town-the frustratingly long lines at popular restaurants on Saturday night. The team decided to help those people who didn't want to wait in line. They paired off and booked reservations, and they sold each reservation for up to twenty dollars to customers who were happy to avoid a long wait. As the evening passed, they made several interesting observations. First, they realized that the female students were better at selling the reservations, probably because customers were more comfortable being approached by young women. They adjusted their plan so that the male students ran around town making reservations at different restaurants while the female students sold these places in line. They also learned that the entire operation worked best at restaurants that use vibrating pagers to alert customers when their table is ready. Physically swapping pagers made customers feel as though they were receiving something tangible for their money. They were more comfortable handing over their money and pager in exchange for the new pager. This had an additional bonus-teams could then sell the newly acquired pager as the later reservation time grew nearer. よろしくお願いします。

• 大学留学応募の際のエッセイについて

お願いします。下記のお題でエッセイを提出します。文法、文章の流れなど添削頂けると涙が出るほど助かります。 大学側の題:What sets you apart from other applicants, based on unique educational or life experiences, personal or family circumstances, obstacles overcome and/or achievements? (200 words or less) 私のエッセイ:I filled with spirit than anyone else. I used to work as door to door sales man about 10 years ago. To sale a $3,000 water cleaner, I would often visit more than 100 houses everyday. At that time, Japanese were not only so interested in that device but also they usually drank tap water. In those days, people used to think that purchasing water was ridiculous and say “drink tap water!” Great majority of Japanese was not interested in water. Therefore, I was always turned down and was jeered and yelled by them. Some people scattered salt at me. It means driving away evil sprit. I believed that I could find a customer as long as I do not give in. I became discouraged several times. Nevertheless, I had kept knocking a door hundred of times and then I had encountered a customer. At sales convention, I was awarded a first prize among over 1,000 company members. Through this precious experience, I learned patience and must have been paid off and I understood that if people make efforts desperately, God presents us a miracle. My weakness was turned to strength. This life experience is my treasure. (197 words) よろしくお願いします<(_ _)>

• 和訳お願いします

The financal makers provide a marketplace through which funds are chan-neled from sectors with idle cash (lenders) to cash-short sectors(borrowers), and the types of financing arranged on these markets are divided in terms of intermediaries into indirect and direct financing. Indirect financing means a form of transaction in which a financial institution acquires a primary secure-ty (IOUs and notes,ect.) from a borrower with a fund raised by issuing an in-direct security(certificates of deposit and insurance policies,etc.). In direct financing, a borrower raises funds by issuing a primary security (equity and debt securities, etc) to lenders though a market intermediary. The market place on which direct financing is arranged is the securities market, which is divided into an issue market(where securities are issued and distributed) and a trading market (where securities are bought and sold). Generally, the term ”security” refers to instruments that give their legal holders the rights to money or other property. They are designed to facilitate the assignment of such rights and have the characteristic of combining rights and certificates. More specifically, they are issued in various form, such as stocks and bonds issued by business corporations; notes, checks, and bills of lading ;government securities issued by national governments; and municipal bonds issued by local public bodies. Of these, securities traded in the securities markets are balled “securities under the Financial Instruments and Exchange Act(FIEA),” as defined in paragraphs 1 and 2, Article 2,of that law. Paragraph 1 defines securities whose interests are represented by securities or certificates that are physically issued as listed in the Securities and Exchange Law, new types of securities, such as mortgage securities and securities representing financial options contracts, have been included in the new definition. Item 21 of the paragraph provided that securities and certificates so designated by government ordinance, including bonds issued by educational institutions, shall be deemed to be securities under the law. Paragraph 2 of Article 2 sets forth the definition of deemed securities. First, interests represented by securities that are listed in the preceding paragraph are deemed to be securities by themselves in cases where no physical certificates are issued. For example, interests represented by bonds or stocks held under a book-entry transfer system are deemed equivalent of those securities listed in Paragraph 1. The latter part of the paragraph then goes on to define deemed securities as interests other than those represented by securities or certificates. The scope of the definition has been substantially widened compared with that of the former law, and specifically, there are comprehensive provisions in Item 5 of the paragraph for FIFA to be applicable to various types of collective investment vestment ordinance, including claims on loans o educational institutions, are provided for as deemed securities. In addition to securities, FIEA applies to derivative transactions in domestic financial instrument and over-the-counter markets and foreign markets.

• 大学留学応募のエッセイ

お願いします。下記のお題でエッセイを提出します。文字数は丁度200wordsです。文法、文章の流れなど添削頂けると涙が出るほど助かります。 なお、文章中の()は英語に自信がない場合に日本語入れています 大学側のお題:What sets you apart from other applicants, based on unique educational or life experiences, personal or family circumstances, obstacles overcome and/or achievements? (200 words or less) 私のエッセイ:I used to work as door to door sales man about 10 years ago. To sale $3,000 water cleaner, I would often visit more than 100 houses everyday. At that time, not only Japanese are not so interested that device but also people usually drinks tap water. In previous times, people used to think that purchase natural water are ridiculous and said “drink tap water as much as you like, do not waste your money!” Great majority of Japanese did not interested water at all. Therefore, I was always turned down and was jeered and yelled at me. I had an experience with scattered salt by a man(男性から塩をかけられた経験があります). It means purify evil sprit. I believed that I could find a customer as long as I do not give in. I became discouraged several times. Nevertheless, I had kept knock a door hundred of times and then I had encountered the customers(冠詞に迷いました、the としたのは思い描いたそのお客さんに出会えたとし定冠詞にしました). At sales convention, I obtained a first prize among over 1,000 company members. Through this precious experiment, I learned patient, efforts must be pay off and I understood that If people efforts desperately, God presents us a miracle. My weakness was changed strength(by ○○はあえて書きませんでした、キリスト教系の大学なのでここは神様と読み手は考えると思うからです). This life experience is my treasure. よろしくお願いします<(_ _)>

• 和訳

When an employment magazine advertised for NPO job offers, many people working for companies, especially female employees, rushed to apply to the NPOs featured by the magazine. Some of the candidates had expensive experience of studying abroad and a good command of several languages. In general, in terms of salary, NPOs aren't so attractive as corporations. Despite the financial downside, NPOs are becoming increasingly popular.   This is probably because you can often obtain a higher level of fulfillment than when working for a company.  Mr.A, who left a major insurance company to work for an NPO, said that he decided (what,after,to change,working,wondering,his career,for,he was) and what he was trying to achieve through working.  In 2000, NPOs in Japan employed about 176,000 people (0.3 % of the total number of employed) and this figure is expected to be more double over the next ten years. In the U.S., NPOs are defined in broader terms than in Japan and include tax-free bodies such as social welfare and medical institutions. NPOs defined (1) this way account for about percent of the employment total in the U.S.  In Japan, which has a rapidly aging population, healthy senior citizens after retirement can oake active use (2) their management skills at NPOs and at the same time fulfill their lives by contributing (3) society. Isn't this a desirable win-win situation? Offering an environment where people can work comfortably, NPOs can provide an excellent opportunity for realizing ideals. ・( )内の整序 ・(1)~(3)に当てはまる語句 →自分は(1)in,(2)of,(3)toにしました。 ・2段落目、This is~の文のThisが何を指しているかを指摘しつつ、訳をお願いします。

• 次の英文の和訳をお願いします!!

"It has very much become a cancer of poor women and a cancer for which poor women die," she said. Disparities in mortality extend to highly treatable cancers, such as acute lymphoblastic leukemia, fatal to just 10 percent of patients in wealthy countries but deadly 90 percent of the time in poor countries. Knaul said there are several myths about global cancer that need to be exploded, including that there's nothing that can be done, that tackling the problem would cost too much, and that bigger health issues plague the developing world. All are false, she said, adding that institutions like HSPH are key to gathering affordable, innovative solutions from around the world that can be used toward new strategies to meet the challenge. Students are a big part of the solution, Knaul said, because they'll be designing the health solutions of tomorrow. In addition to organizing Friday's event, students who have been touched by cancer planned to participate and share their stories of surviving or supporting a family member's struggles with the disease. Toni Kuguru, one of the student organizers, became interested in the subject when her husband, David, became ill with multiple myeloma. He was treated in the United States and is currently in remission, but the episode got Toni Kuguru thinking about the health care system in his native Kenya, where the outcome could have been different. Kuguru said she hopes that more students will get involved after hearing about the problem and the personal testimony of those touched by cancer. "What we're hoping for the student body is that they'll be inspired. We're hoping students understand there's lots of possibilities out there to become involved," Kuguru said.

• 英文を訳して下さい。

Territorial claims The Japanese claim to Shantung was disputed by the Chinese. In 1914 at the outset of World War I Japan had seized the territory granted to Germany in 1897. They also seized the German islands in the Pacific north of the equator. In 1917, Japan had made secret agreements with Britain, France, and Italy that guaranteed their annexation of these territories. With Britain, there was a mutual agreement, Japan also agreeing to support British annexation of the Pacific islands south of the equator. Despite a generally pro-Chinese view on behalf of the American delegation, Article 156 of the Treaty of Versailles transferred German concessions in Jiaozhou Bay, China to Japan rather than returning sovereign authority to China. The leader of the Chinese delegation, Lou Tseng-Tsiang, demanded that a reservation be inserted before he would sign the treaty. The reservation was denied, and the treaty was signed by all the delegations except that of China. Chinese outrage over this provision led to demonstrations known as the May Fourth Movement. The Pacific islands north of the equator became a class C mandate administered by Japan.Prime Minister Eleftherios Venizelos took part in the Paris Peace Conference as Greece's chief representative. President Woodrow Wilson was said to have placed Venizelos first in point of personal ability among all delegates gathered in Paris to settle the terms of Peace. Venizelos proposed the Greek expansion on Thrace and Asia Minor (lands of the defeated Kingdom of Bulgaria and Ottoman Empire), Northern Epirus, Imvros and Tenedos, aiming to the realization of the Megali Idea. He also reached an agreement with the Italians on the cession of the Dodecanese (Venizelos–Tittoni agreement). For the Greeks of Pontus he proposed a common Pontic-Armenian State. As a liberal politician, Venizelos was a strong supporter of the Fourteen Points and of the League of Nations. Chinese approach The Chinese delegation was led by Lou Tseng-Tsiang, accompanied by Wellington Koo and Cao Rulin. Before the Western powers, Koo demanded that Germany's concessions on Shandong be returned to China. He further called for an end to imperialist institutions such as extraterritoriality, legation guards, and foreign leaseholds. Despite American support and the ostensible spirit of self-determination, the Western powers refused his claims, transferring the German concessions to Japan instead. This sparked widespread student protests in China on 4 May, later known as the May Fourth Movement, eventually pressuring the government into refusing to sign the Treaty of Versailles. Thus the Chinese delegation at the Paris Peace Conference was the only one not to sign the treaty at the signing ceremony.

• 英字新聞翻訳 添削のお願い その1

英字新聞を翻訳しました。 どなたか添削をお願いします。 (4)や(6)など、どのように訳そうか悩みました。 https://www.yahoo.com/news/m/0e0631f5-6ea0-3c10-89dc-eebfbbcdfde1/how-carnivorous-plants.html (1) How carnivorous plants developed their taste for prey いかにして食虫植物は好みの肉食性を開発したか (2) A new study sheds a bit more light on the unusual, and a bit bizarre, species of carnivorous plants that trap and kill food, instead of drawing their nutrition from sunlight and soil. 新たな研究は、かなり、見慣れない、風変わりな、大地及び太陽光からの栄養補給の代わりに食物を捕らえ、殺す食虫植物種をほんの少し解明する。 → 新たな研究により、普通の植物と異なり土からの養分と光合成の代わりに食物を 捕らえ養分としている食虫植物が少し解明された。 (3) A large team of researchers from several institutions in Asia, Australia, Europe and North America have found that carnivorous plant species on different continents all became meat eaters through similar sets of genetic changes.   アジア、オーストラリア、ヨーロッパ及び北アメリカのいくつかの公共機関からの大規模な研究チームは、異なる大陸の食虫植物種は全て、似ている遺伝子変化のセットを通じて肉食性になったことを見出した。 (4) Like most carnivorous plants, pitcher plants tend to live in nutrient-poor environments, the authors noted in their study. 「食虫植物の多くがそうであるように、筒状の葉を持つ食虫植物は栄養の乏しい環境に生きている傾向にある」と著者らは彼らの研究で言及している。 (5) So they catch and digest arthropods (such as insects, spiders, centipedes or similar creatures), or even small animals such as amphibians. 彼らは(食虫植物は)節足動物(昆虫、クモ、ムカデあるいは類似した生物)あるいは両性類のような小動物を捕獲し、消化する (6) Pitcher plants take their name from the "pitchers" or cups of fluid that line their limbs. 水差しあるいはカップの流体(液体)に因んで、それらの名前をピチャープラント(囊状葉植物:筒状の葉をもつ植物)と呼ぶ。 (7) The pitchers have slippery inner walls with a pool of digestive fluids sitting at the bottom of the cup. そのピチャー(筒状の葉)は、消化を助ける流体(液体)のプールを持った滑りやすい内壁を有する。 → 筒状の葉は、滑りやすい内壁とそこに消化を助ける液体だまりがある。

• 事態は悪くなる一方

19 July 2012 Natureの記事です。 (1)the possible confounding effects of the absence of APOE APOEがないときの可能性のある悪影響は と訳してみましたがどうするのが適切でしょうか。 (2)However, the atherogenic process itself is similar to that which occurs in humans, and the linkes to post-infraction monocytosis and SNS activation in humans add relevance. しかしながらアテローム生成処理自身はヒトに生じる場合と類似しており、後骨折単細胞増殖と関連し、ヒトにおけるSNA活性の関連を加える。 とどこでどの動詞が名詞にかかっているのか不明な訳になりました。 add relevanceもどう訳していいかわかりません。 (3)For example, heightended systemic and cardiac inflammation could fuel the inflammatory response by mechanisms over and above raising monocyto numbers, and biological changes induced by the occluded artery or by tissue damage sustained in the attack might alter the subendothelium of nearby arteries in ways that promote lipoprotein retention. たとえば、高められた全身性そして心臓疾患はメカニズムによる炎症反応を加速させ、さらに単細胞数を増加させる可能性があり、そして発作による閉塞した動脈によるものや持続した組織損傷による生物g区的変化は脂質タンパク維持を促進する経路における動脈付近の内皮下層を変化させる可能性がある。 と訳してみましたがいかがでしょうか。 (4)The possibility that an SNS-spleen-monocyte pathway of accelerated atherosclerosis contributes to the increased risk of repeat events after heart attack could add perspective to current therapeutic strategies and suggest new ones. Several clinical trials have shown that post-infraction administration of high doses of statins ― drugs that lower blood levels of LDL ― have a substantial protective effect against repeat infraction. 進行したアテローム硬化症のSNS秘蔵単細胞経路は心臓発作後の繰り返し起こる危険性を増加させることに寄与する可能性が里、これは最新の治療方法の可能性を加えるものであり、その新しい一つを示唆している。行くt化の臨床試験ではLDLの血中での低い値にする薬品であるスタチンの高用量のポストインフラクション投薬が繰り返し起こる異常に対してかなりの保護的作用を持つことを示した。 (5)Reduction of LDL would be expected to interrupt the atherosclerotic process in the post-infraction period, as it does in other settings. as it does in other settingsの訳が分かりません。 ほかの場合において示された様にでいいのでしょうか。 (6)so the current study could inform current human therapeutic trials designed to raise plasma HDL. そのために最近の研究では血漿HDLに関する最新のヒト治療試験を計画することが提唱される可能性がある。 could informをどういう風にうまく訳せばいいのでしょうか。