• ベストアンサー

英語と日本語訳がよくわかりません。

たまにニューズウイークを英日で見ながら楽しんでいます。 よくわからない箇所があり、どうしてそのような訳になるのか、教えてください。 Ever since McCain chose Sarah Palin as his running mate, Europe has looked down its collective nose at the thought of a McCain presidency.(訳:マケインがアラスカ州のサラ・ペイリン知事を副大統領候補に選らんだ時から、ヨーロッパはマケインの大統領としての資質をあざ笑ってきた。) looked down であざ笑う となるのでしょう。ですが。its collective nose at the thought の collective nose とは一体どんな意味があるの? それと、「大統領の資質」はどの英文から持ってきたのでしょうか? 因みに出典は2008/11/10 のNewsweekです。 よろしくお願いします。

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • Oubli
  • ベストアンサー率31% (744/2384)
回答No.1

look down one's nose at~で、~を見下す、です。日本人でも下方をみると鼻が視界に入ると思いますが、ヨーロッパ人ではもっと顕著なのだと思います。主語がEuropeで単数ですので、its+単数になっていますが、意味としては「みんな」ということです。at the thought of a MaCain presidencyは、素質というよりは、McCainが大統領になるかもしれないと思うこと自体、という意味だと思います。特定のtheではなくて、aですから、全面否定です。

jankone
質問者

補足

早速ご回答を有難う御座いました。 collective はどんな意味(辞書の意味はわかりますが、この場合は当てはまらないみたい??)? この語の役割は? a が付くと全面否定? a McCaine presidency に冠詞が付くのですか? このあたりの知識が私の場合抜けており、知らなかったのですが、、。

全文を見る
すると、全ての回答が全文表示されます。

その他の回答 (2)

回答No.3

No2です。presidencyがついていましたね。これはNo1さんのとおりです。

全文を見る
すると、全ての回答が全文表示されます。
回答No.2

look down one's nose at ~を軽蔑の[さげすんだ]目で見る、~を見くだす、~を蔑視する stick their collective nose into ...: 連中が、よってたかって〜に鼻をつっこむ the thought of a McCain 大統領の資質 これは意訳で、直訳すればマケインの考え(思いつき)に

jankone
質問者

お礼

ご回答有難う御座います。 納得です。

全文を見る
すると、全ての回答が全文表示されます。

関連するQ&A

• 日本語に訳してください。

A fearful thought entered my mind. I looked back at the dog and my fears were confirmed. Sawdust on its nose. It eats slippers. It eats chair legs. People too? That reminded me, where was my wife? I called her, but there was no answer. Another fearful thought entered my mind. What if she had been eaten by the dog? I’d have to make my own dinner, do my own laundry … I remembered reading about a dog that had eaten its owner and still had room for dessert afterwards.

• NEWSWEEK11月12日号の記事で分からない表現があったのですが

NEWSWEEK11月12日号の記事で分からない表現があったのですがどなたかお答えできる方が居ましたらよろしくお願いします。 ※以下記事内容一部抜粋-当該箇所・28p 題「ヨーロッパが夢から覚める日」 “金星からやってきたヨーロッパ人にとって、マケインは軍隊では解決不可能な地政学的問題を理解できない典型的な火星人、いやアメリカ人にみえる。” この部分の『金星』と『火星人』の言い回しが分からないのです。 以下、前後の文脈を記載しておきます。 What If McCain Wins? ヨーロッパが夢から覚める日 欧州のすべての希望を背負ったオバマは、その期待に応えられるのか 記者:デニス・マクシェーン(英労働党下院議員、元欧州担当相) もし共和党のジョン・マケイン上院議員が米大統領になったら絶望の波がヨーロッパ全土を襲うだろう。そう、民主党のバラク・オバマ上院議員はヨーロッパ選出の候補者でもある。 ジョージ・W・ブッシュ大統領と喜んで休暇を過ごしたニコラ・サルコジ仏大統領は、オバマが今夏にパリを訪れた際には盛んに2人で写真に納まり、大いに宣伝に利用したものだ。 英保守党の議員たちは、昨年の党大会でマケインを基調演説に招いたことなど忘れてしまったかのように、「オバマバッジ」をつけて噂話に花を咲かせている。アンゲラ・メルケル独首相率いるキリスト教民主同盟の党員たちは7月、ベルリンに20万人強の聴衆を集めた小浜の演説に詰めかけた。 ヨーロッパの左派にとって、オバマは救世主。一方のマケインは見当違いの候補者だ。インテル層は早い段階でマケインは不適格という合意に達し、政治週刊誌は表紙にオバマの写真を掲げてきた。もしオバマが負ければ、それが僅差であれ大差であれ、アメリカは正気を失ったとされるだろう。 マケインがアラスカ州のサラ・ペイリン知事を副大統領候補に選んだときから、ヨーロッパはマケインの大統領としての資質をあざ笑ってきた。欧州にもシルビオ・ベルルスコーニ伊首相など、知性より庶民的スローガンを売りにする大衆的な政治家があふれていることはまるで棚に上げている。 金星からやってきたヨーロッパ人にとって、マケインは軍隊では解決不可能な地政学的問題を理解できない典型的な火星人、いやアメリカ人にみえる。 その一方でヨーロッパは、幸福な未来へのすべての希望をオバマに託してきた。自らEU(欧州連合)の統合を推し進め、安全保障を強化したり、単一市場の障壁を除く努力をせずに、だ。

• 日本語に訳してほしいです。

Someone’s dog had recently had puppies and my kind wife had volunteered to adopt one of them. “Hello,pretty doggie,”I said,trying to be friendly. The thing looked at me like I was a stray cat and began to growl. It was probably hungry, I thought. Slippers may be okay for starters, but this dog was waiting for its main course. What kind of dogs was it, anyway? It looked uncomfortably like a wolf. I looked around for a weapon just in case. Then I noticed the chair. “That’s funny,” I thought. Chairs usually have four legs, don’t they? I know,because I counted them twice. Now I know my wife has strange taste in furniture,but two-legged chairs are somewhat impractical aren’t they

• 日本語訳お願いします。

Going to the shore on the first morning of the vacation, Jerry stopped and looked at a wild and rocky bay, and then over to the crowded beach he knew so well from other years. His mother looked back at him. “Are you tired of the usual beach, Jerry?” “Oh, no!” he said quickly, but then said, “I’d like to look at those rocks down there.” “Of course, if you like.” Jerry watched his mother go, then ran straight into the water and began swimming. He was a good swimmer. He swam out over the gleaming sand and then he was in the real sea. He saw some older, local boys — men, to him — sitting on the rocks. One smiled and waved. It was enough to make him feel welcome. In a minute, he had swum over and was on the rocks beside them. Then, as he watched, the biggest of the boys dived into the water, and did not come up. Jerry gave a cry of alarm, but after a long time the boy came up on the other side of a big dark rock, letting out a shout of victory. Immediately the rest of them dived and Jerry was alone. He counted the seconds they were under water: one, two, three… fifty… one hundred. At one hundred and sixty, one, then another, of the boys came up on the far side of the rock and Jerry understood that they had swum through some gap or hole in it. He knew then that he wanted to be like them. He watched as they swam away and then swam to shore himself. Next day he swam back to the rocks. There was nobody else there. He looked at the great rock the boys had swum through. He could see no gap in it. He dived down to its base, again and again. It took a long time, but finally, while he was holding on to the base of the rock, he shot his feet out forward and they met no obstacle. He had found the hole. In the days that followed, Jerry hurried to the rocks every morning and exercised his lungs as if everything, the whole of his life, depended on it.

• 誰かこの物語を日本語に略してください。お願いしま

One day, a hungry fox was walking in the forest. His stomach grumbled as he looked for something to eat. Finally, he saw a bunch of ripe, juicy grapes hanging from a high vine. The fox looked at the round, perfect grapes and drool began to drip and splash as he thought how delicious they would be. the fox tried to reach the grapes but they were too high. He would have to jump. the fox sprang into the air and snapped at the grapes but he missed.Next,he took a running leap,but missed again and thumped down to the ground with no grapes. Again and again ,he jumped but the fox just could not reach the grapes.Finally, he sat ,huffing and puffing and looked at the high grapes one last time.「Bah!Look at those old,wrinkled grapes. They are probably sour anyway. Why am I wasting my time trying to get them? said the Fox. In the end, the fox went home still hungry,listening to his empty stomach growl all the way.

• 日本語訳と英語訳お願いします!

ドイツ人とダイレクトメールでやり取りをしているのですが、返信に困っているので日本語訳をお願いします(>_<) ドイツ語苦手なんだよね~。 いい方向に進むといいね!という 私のメッセージに対しての返信です。 "Paul does only speak a few German words too...and yes, hopefully they will:) Hey but, your German could be worse!😏" この文の日本語訳をお願いします! 「授業が終わったら、すぐに母の日の花を売るバイトに行かなければならない」 この文の英訳をお願いします!

• 英語訳と日本語訳をお願いします!

日本語訳して欲しいのは下の文章です。 can i visit you there in japan? 英語訳して頂きたいのが下の文章です。 「男性用の服に気に入ったのがあったけど、肩幅や袖の丈が大きいので諦めた。」 面倒かもしれませんが、お願いします!

• 英語訳 日本語訳お願いします

FFアドベントチルドレンというCG映画の中で 「あの時の痛みを覚えているか?」というセリフが 英語字幕で「Is this the pain you felt before」 となっています。 この英文の中に「あの時の」というのは「before」ですか? 教えてください。よろしくお願いします。

• 英語の日本語訳を教えて下さい。

次の英文を日本語に訳せる方、教えて下さい。 (1)To whom is this notice most likely addressed? (A)tailors and seamstresses (B)Anyone who washes clothes (C)Members of the FTC (D)Television viewers (2)What does the notice say is likely to occur? (A)It will take several years to create symbols. (B)The FTC will use the FCC symbols. (C)People will be delighted with the simple codes. (D)Garments will not be washed as they should. (3)What can be said about the new brochure? (A)It is expensive. (B)It is printed by the FCC. (C)It is flashy. (D)It will take several years to be printed. よろしくお願いします。

• 英語 日本語訳

英語の日本語訳、よろしくお願いします_(._.)_ When you travel west, you put your watch back an hour for every time zone you cross.