• ベストアンサー

her eyes darkened、

As she heard me, her eyes darkened,and I saw that ....... that 以下で彼女が興味を持ったような内容が続くのですが、darkenはbrightenの反対で興味を見せないような文意なのでしょうか?あるいは集中のような意味もあるのでしょうか?よろしくアドバイスください。

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
回答No.4

"darkened" は、参考URLのとおり、以下のような意味があります。 「to become gloomy」 「gloomy 【形】 2. 気持ちを暗くさせる、憂うつにする、憂うつな、ふさぎ込んだ、暗い顔をしている、陰気な」 "brightened" の反対の意味と解釈して良いと思います。 "brightened" は、「(パッと)目が輝いた」と訳すことがあると思いますが、"darkened" は、「目が曇った」、あるいは「目が虚ろになった」くらいでしょうか。 結果として、「興味を見せない」となると思いますが、集中のような意味ではないと思います。 ちなみに、怒りで目が "darkened" な状態になったとか、眩しくて "darkened" な状態になった(「目がくらんだ」)という使い方もあるようです。

参考URL:
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/darkened,http://eow.alc.co.jp/gloomy/UTF-8/
hiro_ga2_91
質問者

お礼

アドバイスご丁寧にありがとうございます。大変参考になりました!

全文を見る
すると、全ての回答が全文表示されます。

その他の回答 (5)

• taka_tora
  • ベストアンサー率56% (59/105)
回答No.6

#5さんがおっしゃるとおりですね。 そして、後続の文章を正確に理解可能なのはご質問者だけですので、100点満点の回答を作成するのはご回答者ではなく、ご質問者ですね。 他のご回答者に対してコメントされているように見えなくもなかったので、一言。

全文を見る
すると、全ての回答が全文表示されます。
  • googoo1956
  • ベストアンサー率47% (623/1316)
回答No.5

「darken」という動詞にはいくつかの意味があります。他動詞と自動詞の用法がありますが、お尋ねの文の中では自動詞のようです。 (1) become dark / become black (2) become less hopeful / become gloomy (3) start to get angry / show one's anger 「dark(en)」の与えるイメージから単純に(1)の「暗くなる」とか「黒くなる」と訳したくなりますが、ここではもちろん不適切です。  また、(2)の「憂鬱になる」とか「(目が)曇る」という訳もできますが、ご質問者がせっかくお示しになっている「興味を持った」という後続の内容から判断すると、ここでは不適切ですね。  後続の内容からすると(3)が良いのではないでしょうか。「彼女の眼が怒りに満ちた鈍い輝きを放った、そして・・・の話に興味を示し始めたことが私には分かった。」という感じが良いでしょう。前半は「彼女の瞳を見ると憤慨していることが分かった、そして・・・。」という意訳も可能です。  ある小説の一部を紹介してきます。  Her purple eyes darkened and her fangs grew over her bottom lip. He then looked up towards the stair case and saw Charles. His blood red eyes glowed.  “It’s you!” he yelled, as he remembered his parent’s killer. “You killed my parents, Ruka’s, and so many others!” his body was boiling with anger. http://www.tokyopop.co.jp/raspberrycat/fiction/2589774.html  せっかく与えられたヒントを活かさなくてはもったいないですね。英文解釈は文脈が命です。複数の意味を持っていることが多い英単語や熟語表現の正確な意味を上手に利用するためには、英文をよく考えることが必要ですね。ご参考になれば・・・。

hiro_ga2_91
質問者

お礼

非常にご丁寧なアドバイスありがとうございます。単純に暗い、曇るではない例もあるのですね。もう一度文脈も含めて解釈してみます。

全文を見る
すると、全ての回答が全文表示されます。
  • go_urn
  • ベストアンサー率57% (938/1643)
回答No.3

こんにちは!  『ジーニアス』に、Her eyes darkened. の例文があり、彼女の目つきは陰気になった、の訳が付されていますが、必ずしもそれに限定されず、  眼差しが、曇る、翳(かげ)る、暗くなる、といった範囲で広く捉え、文脈に応じた訳を考えればいいと思います。  おっしゃるように brighten の反対ですので、何らかの negativeな反応を示しているわけです。  以上、ご参考になれば幸いです。

hiro_ga2_91
質問者

お礼

情報ありがとうございます。

全文を見る
すると、全ての回答が全文表示されます。
  • ucok
  • ベストアンサー率37% (4288/11421)
回答No.2

興味を持った対象に対して暗い目線を送った、ということはないのでしょうか。darkenやbrightenは、基本的には「興味」とは関係ありません。単に、人間が何かに興味を示した時に起こる現象のひとつでしかありあません。

hiro_ga2_91
質問者

お礼

アドバイスありがとうございます。ご指摘の通り興味とは離れて考えた方がよさそうですね。

全文を見る
すると、全ての回答が全文表示されます。
  • KappNets
  • ベストアンサー率27% (1557/5688)
回答No.1

怒るという意味が辞書にあります。

hiro_ga2_91
質問者

お礼

アドバイスありがとうございます。

全文を見る
すると、全ての回答が全文表示されます。

関連するQ&A

• I saw her scolded. の受け身

I saw her enter the room. の受動態は、 She was seen to enter the room. と、to が入ることはわかりますが、 I saw her scolded. の受動態はどうなりますか? She was seen scolded. でいいのでしょうか?

• her eyes were a shuttered, washed-out blue」というところと、2つめの文全体がわからないです。日本語を教えてください。

英語の2つの文の意味がよくわからずにおります。「her eyes were a shuttered, washed-out blue」というところと、2つめの文全体がわからないです。日本語を教えてください。英文は「In the other woman's blank face, her eyes were a shuttered, washed-out blue. The Universe watched as the painful moment played itself out, watched with a grim and inexorable regard that I was glad was fixed on A and the stranger rather than on me.」です。よろしくお願いいたします。

• The thing about her that

The thing about her that I knew I would never forget was the look in her eyes. 上記の英文で文意は分かるのですが、that が関係代名詞のthatなのか、同格のthat なのか、どちらなんでしょうか? もし仮に、knew とI の間に、カンマ(,) が入っておれば関係代名詞と言えるのでしょうか? 宜しくお願いします。

• wired her the money

I am a struggling student who works full time. My sister called begging me for $500 for rent and that she was on the verge of being kicked out. I stupidly wired her the money. It was a lie. Her idiotic dog got out (again) and hit by a car and needed medical attention and she posted about it on social media. I called her on it, and she confessed, saying I wouldn’t give her the money otherwise. The money I sent her was all my savings, my grocery money for two weeks, and leftover birthday money. I lost it. I screamed at her and called a selfish little bitch. She cared more about this stupid dog than her own sister. I am barely keeping my own head above water as is. wired her the moneyの意味を簡単に説明してください。あと、I am barely keeping my own head above water as is. の意味も教えてください。よろしくお願いします

• The Dark Glassesからの英文です。

"It can all be explained psychologically, as we've tried to show to my husband. We've told him and told him, and given him every sort of treatment--shock, insulin, everything. And after all, the stuff didn't have any effect on his sister immediately, and when she did go blind it was caused by acute glaucoma. She would probably have lost her sight in any case. Well, she went off her head completely and accused her brother of having put the wrong drug in the bottle deliberately. This is the interesting part from the psychological point of view--she said she had seen something that he didn't want her to see, something disreputable. She said he wanted to blind the eye that saw it. She said...." We were walking round the lake for the second time. When we came to the spot where I had seen her face reflected I stopped and looked over the water. "I'm boring you." "No, no." "I wish you would take off those glasses." I took them off for a moment. I rather liked her for her innocence in not recognizing me, though she looked hard and said, "There's a subconscious reason why you wear them." "Dark glasses hide dark thoughts," I said. "Is that a saying?" "Not that I've heard. But it is one now." She looked at me anew. But she didn't recognize me. These fishers of the mind have no eye for outward things. Instead, she was "recognizing" my mind:I already came under some category of hers. Muriel SparkのThe Dark Glassesからの英文です。 過去の回想シーンから現代に戻って、主人公とDr Grayが湖のまわりを一緒に歩きながら話している場面です。 ------------------------------------------------ ●"Dark glasses hide dark thoughts," I said. "Is that a saying?" "Not that I've heard. But it is one now."の個所で、 Is that a saying?のthatは指示代名詞だと思うのですが、Not that I've heard.のthatは接続詞ですか? ●These fishers of the mind have no eye for outward things.のfishersとは何のことですか? 教えてください。よろしくお願いします。 前文は "Am I boring you?" she said. "No, carry on." "Must you wear those glasses?....it is a modern psychological phenomenon....the trend towards impersonalization ...the modern Inquisitor." For a while, she watched her own footsteps as we walked round the lake. Then she continued her story. "...an optician. His sister was blind---going blind when I first attended her. Only the one eye was affected. Then there was an accident, one of those psychological accidents. She was a trained dispenser, but she mixed herself the wrong eye-drops. Now it's very difficult to make a mistake like that, normally. But subconsciously she wanted to, she wanted to. But she wasn't normal, she was not normal." "I'm not saying she was," I said. "What did you say?" "I'm sure she wasn't a normal person," I said, "if you say so." となっています。

• 基本英文法 目的格

次の日本語を英語にするとどれが正しいのでしょうか 疑問1: 日)彼女は私がテニスをしているところを見た。 英)    (1)She saw I play tennis.    (2)She saw me play tennis. ※私はsheの後ろのthatが省略されており、(1)が正しいと思ってましたが、知覚動詞の項目で例文として(2)が出てきたので混乱しました。 疑問2: 日)彼女は私のことが好きだと思う。 英)thinkを使った時。    (1)I think she like me.    (2)I think she likes me.    (3)I think her like me.    (4)I think her likes me.   feelを使った時。    (1)I feel she like me.    (2)I feel she likes me.    (3)I feel her like me.    (4)I feel her likes me. ※私は疑問1と知覚動詞のルールに則っとると(3)が正しいのかと思いましたが、ネットで検索すると”I think she likes me.”という曲があるのを知り、混乱してしまい、また知覚動詞のところにthinkが出ていないので、feelを使うとまた答えが変わってくるのかなと思うとより訳がわからなくなってしまいました。 正解の選択肢と、他の選択肢がダメな理由も教えて頂けると助かります。 よろしくお願いいたします。

• called her out on it

I've been with "Betty" for 20 years. Last week, a repairman came to fix the phone line. On his way out, Betty followed him and said in a sexy voice, "I like bald-headed men. You come back." Betty didn't know I overheard what she said until I walked in after she had picked up the phone to call her girlfriend. She then told the woman that it probably hurt my feelings. She's right. It hurt my feelings and made me realize she really didn't care one whit about me. When I called her out on it, she claimed she was just being friendly. called her out on itはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• 英語の和訳です。お願いします!!

My mother came in from the pantry with a steaming pot in her hand. She stopped midway between the table and the fire, feeling the tension flowing through the room. She followed their stare and saw me in the corner. Her eyes looked from my face down to my foot, with the chalk gripped between my toes. She put down the pot. Then she crossed over to me and knelt down beside me, as she had done so many times before. "I'll show you what to do with it, Chris," she said, very slowly and in a queer, choked way, her face flushed as if with some inner excitement. Taking another piece of chalk from Mona, she hesitated, then very deliberately drew, on the floor in front of me, the single letter "A." "Copy that," she said, looking steadily at me. "Copy it, Chris." I couldn't.

• 日本語訳で困っています。

日本語訳がわかりません。だれか教えてください。お願いします。 (1)My mom says it felt as though someone tapped her on the shoulder, but when she turned around no one was there. (2)It was then that she noticed I wasn't in sight. (3)She saw me in the pool, kicking and waving my arms in the air, trying to keep my head above the water. (4)She held me in her arms and thanked God that I was all right.

• 英詩を和訳して下さい。

次の英詩を和訳して下さい。 何やら愛の迷いを歌っているようなのですが、よく分かりません。 よろしくお願いします。      The Flight Sara Teasdale Look back with longing eyes and know that I will follow, Lift me up in your love as a light wind lifts a swallow, Let our flight be far in sun or blowing rain -- *But what if I heard my first love calling me again?* Hold me on your heart as the brave sea holds the foam, Take me far away to the hills that hide your home; Peace shall thatch the roof and love shall latch the door -- *But what if I heard my first love calling me once more?*