What Does Your Cousin, Bert the Lawyer, Know About the Third Time Being the Charm?

このQ&Aのポイント
  • To be a Lawyer, you have to pass the bar exam, right?
  • Bert, the cousin who is a lawyer, struggled to pass the bar exam.
  • Despite being clever, Bert was not fond of book learning.
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

the third time being the lawyer.

NHKラジオ英会話講座より・・・2回に分けて質問いたします!! Dennis:What does your cousin, Bert the lawyer, know about the third time being the charm,John? Sue:To be a Lawyer, you have to pass the bar exam, right? John:Year, and it was a real struggle for him. Bert is very cleaver in his way, but he was never big on what hecalls "book learning." デニス:弁護士をしている君の従兄弟のバートがいう3度目の正直ってどういうことなんだい。 スー:弁護士になるには、司法試験に合格しなくてはいけないんでしょう? ジョン:ああ、そして、彼にとってそれは本当に大変だった。バートは彼なりにとても頭がいいんだけど、彼はいわゆる「机上の学問」が大好きなわけではなかったからね。 (質問)To be a Lawyer, you have to pass the bar exam, right?について教えて下さい。 (1)To be a lawyerの[To be]は不定詞の副詞的用法ですね? (2)You have to pass the bar exam to be a lawyer.と書き換えできますね? (3)どうして[to be a lawyer]を前面に出したのでしょうか? He was never big on what he calls "book learning."について教えて下さい。 (4)直訳すると「彼は机上の学問と呼ぶことが決して大好きではなかった」と訳してみました。テキストとは、訳の違いを感じます。callの訳し方にヒントがあるように感じます。アドバイスをお願いいたします。以上

• 英語
  • 回答数1
  • ありがとう数2

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • tjhiroko
  • ベストアンサー率52% (2281/4352)
回答No.1

(1)はい (2)はい (3)会話ですから、この部分がまず口をついて出たのでは。普通の文なら強調ということにもなるかもしれませんが。回答になってないですね・・・ (4)これは自信を持って書きますが、what he calls の部分は挿入されていると考えて括弧でくくってください。 He was never big on (what he calls) "book learning." 「彼が言うところの『机上の学問』」です。

tommy0313
質問者

お礼

いつもご回答有難うございます。とても参考になりました。考えを聞いてもらいながら、先に進んでいます。what he callは括弧でくくってみると良く判ります。有難うございました。今後ともよろしくお願いいたします。敬具

関連するQ&A

• ....the third time being the charm.

NHKラジオ英会話講座より・・・2回に分けて質問いたします!! Dennis:What does your cousin, Bert the lawyer, know about the third time being the charm,John? Sue:To be a Lawyer, you have to pass the bar exam, right? John:Year, and it was a real struggle for him. Bert is very cleaver in his way, but he was never big on what he calls "book learning." デニス:弁護士をしている君の従兄弟のバートがいう3度目の正直ってどういうことなんだい。 スー:弁護士になるには、司法試験に合格しなくてはいけないんでしょう? ジョン:ああ、そして、彼にとってそれは本当に大変だった。バートは彼なりにとても頭がいいんだけど、彼はいわゆる「机上の学問」が大好きなわけではなかったからね。 (質問)Dennis:What does your cousin, Bert the lawyer, know about the third time being the charm,John? についてお尋ねします。 (1)直訳してみました。次のようでは如何でしょうか? 「弁護士をしている君の従兄弟のバートは3度目の正直について何を知っているのか?」 (2)third time's the charm.で「3度目の正直」という表現が出てきます。the third time being the charm.との違いを教えて下さい。特に[being]の使い方についてお願いいたします。動名詞でしょうか? 以上

• 分詞構文の模範解答を教えて下さい。

(1)Because I didn’t know what to say,I remained silent. ( )( )what to say,I remained silent. (2)Though she is only a child,she can play the piano well. ( )only a child,she can play the piano well. (3)When he was seen by a policeman,he ran way. ( )( )the policeman,he ran way. (4)一人残されて、その少女は泣き出しました。 ( )( )alone ,the girl began to cry. (5)一生懸命勉強すれば、あなたは試験に合格できるでしょう。 ( )( ),you will pass the exam.

• what he was と what he used to beについて

He is not what he was.(彼は昔の彼ではない)は He is not what he used to be.と書き換えられますが。 He is not what he was 10 years ago.を He is not what he used to be 10 years ago.としても文法的に正しいですか? used to beを使う場合は~years agoと表現することはできないのでしょうか? 専門家の方に回答をおねがいします。

• 「S may what to V」 はどうやって訳す?

下記の文で、"you may what to ..."のあたりの訳し方がよくわかりません。 個人的にはなじみの無い使い方なのですが、英文法の知識が乏しいのでそもそもこれが正しい英文なのかも不安です。 どなたかご教示よろしくお願いいたします。 If you think you have a legitimate case, then you may what to check with a lawyer. 出典:http://www.linkprofits.com/article06.html

• 話法教えてください

1誤りを正しての書き直し When he said to me what is the matter with me,I said him that I have not slept well. →When he asked me what was the matter with me ,I (    ) that I had not slept. 2文意が同じになるように He said to her , "Why didn't you attend the party?" = He asked(                                 ). 3話法を変えて 3-1Ken said ," What's wrong with you, Jon ?"・・・・"I have a headance," said Jon. →Ken asked Jon what was wrong wtih (  ). Jon (    ) (    )had a headance. 3-2He said to me ,"Let me do it ." →He asked me to let (   ) do it. 4直接・間接話法に 彼は私に「明日は忙しいから行けないよ」と昨夜言っていた 直接→Last night , he said to me ,"I won't go (    )because I will be busy ." 間接→Last night , he told me he wouldn't go (    )because I would be busy . よろしくお願いします

• 英語の準動詞の範囲で質問です!

John F. Kennedy was the first Catholic ( ) elected President of the USA. 1.having been 2.who 3.he was 4.to be He expects ( ) in winning a scholarship by studying hard. 1.succeed 2.to succeed 3.succeeded 4.succeeding I was busy ( ) my sister do kitchen work. 1.helping 2.helped 3.to help 4.help This photograph makes her ( ) very young. 1.look 2.to look 3.looked 4.to looking They found the capital city ( ) smaller than they expected. 1.being 2.be 3,been 4,to be ( ) to himself , John might have been at a loss what to do. 1.Left 2.Leaving 3.On leaving 4.To leave ( ) from this point of view, the matter is not as serious as people suppose. 1.Seen 2.As seeing 3. As to see 4.Having seen この問題の解答とどうしてその答えなのかを教えてもらえるとありがたいです。

• 英語のメールを日本語訳にして頂けますか?

i wish you was here 2.. so many pleases that i will like to take you . :^) but what did you say to you ex-boyfriend went he proposed to you ? you dont have to tall me if you dont want to! i be ok . i respect your opinion こちらのメールです。 よろしくお願いします。

• 二文同意について教えてください

He was a poet rather than a sholar. =he was not ( ) mush a scholar ( )a poet Iam sure that be will succeed, =I am sure of ( )( ) You will soon understand wha I'm saying =It will not be ( )( )you understand what I'm saying. It seems that he was late for the meeting. =He seems to ( ) ( ) Late foe the meeting. Do you mind if open the window? =Do you mind ( )( ) the window? お願いします!!

• 英語

1:Married men sometimes wish they () single. (1)are (2)were (3)have been (4)being 2:The play was a lot of fun. I wish you () there. (1)were (2)had been (3)have been (4)would be 3:Although he knows nothing about electronics,he speaks() an expert. (1)like his being (2)as if he were (3)even if he were (4)as though being 4:You looked() a ghost when you came out of thehouse. What happened? (1)like to have seen (2)like seeing (3)as though to have seen(4)as if you had seen 5:It's already eleven. It's high time you() in bed. (1)are (2)have been (3)were (4)will be 解答と訳をお願いします

• [英語] ()に当てはまる共通の1語を教えて下さい

1. He has more () than to go where he is not wanted. What is the () of spending so much money? 2. Education is a () of national concern. Is there anything the () with the engine? 3. It was greatly to his () that he refused the reward. May I have the (), .of dancing with you? 4. To do her (), she was a good-natured woman. All men should be treated with ().