• 締切済み

you are the vehicle of their hopes

“If you don’t talk about issues in great detail, if you do it in a way that is not the centerpiece of your campaign, of your rhetoric, then you become a blank screen,” Mr. Wilentz said. “Everybody thinks you are the vehicle of their hopes.” blank screenにふさわしい日本語はここでは何になるでしょうか。 http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalradar/2008/02/clinton-compare.html ここに"I think the best description actually is in Barack's own book" Clinton said, "where he said that he is a blank screen andとあるのですがここではオバマ氏が主語ですが、質問の文ではこれをYOUに置き換えたようです。

• 英語
  • 回答数2
  • ありがとう数4

みんなの回答

• sicco
  • ベストアンサー率27% (134/486)
回答No.2

直訳すると「真っ白けのスクリーン」ってことでしょうか。 自分の意見とかビジョンを持っていない人、という意味の比喩だと思います。 オバマはみんなが望むものを映して見せてるだけ、と、クリントン氏は批判しているのでしょう。

回答No.1

ブランクスクリーン もしくは http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Projection_screen または http://e-words.jp/w/Wiki.html のような意味合いではないでしょうか。 (参考リンク) http://www.e-thepeople.org/article/732901/view?viewtype=

iamgreen
質問者

お礼

参照リンクありがとうございます。 参考になりました。

関連するQ&A

• なぜyou?

こんにちは。お世話になります。 英語初学者です。 英文を読んでいたら、 kipper sent up to the man. He gave the man a sweet. ‟What is that thing?” he said. ‟You lock people up in it,” said the man. ‟You can't lock people in that,” said kipper. ‟You can't get them in” ‟Oh yes you can ” said the man. ‟Look” という英文に出くわしました。 先ほど、okwaveで別の質問をしまして、ご回答をいただき、 意味を理解することができたのですが、 上から6番目の文でなぜ‟Oh yes you can ”と言っているのかが やはり、いまだによくわかりません。 なぜ、‟You can't lock people in that,”と言われているのに、 「I」を使わず、「You」を使って‟Oh yes you can ” と答えているのでしょうか? さっぱり意味が分かりません。 どなたか、教えては下さいませんでしょうか? 宜しくお願いいたします。

• 和訳をお願いいたします

以下の英文を和訳していただけるかたに。 お願いできますでしょうか? 3段落に分けた後半部分となります。 難解な部分も含め、意訳大歓迎です。 どうぞよろしくお願いいたします。 Feeling the mans presence around you when he is not there, or sensing his thoughts on you even if you don’t know what those thoughts are, you may feel that he is thinking of you. You may feel just something that your mind cannot quite define or interpret but your own thoughts are frequently drawn towards him in his absence in a strange warm way, as if he too is thinking of you and there as of there is some connection there. Your mind cannot let go of the dream, the feelings the thought, the love that permeates your life at times.

• if you will ってどんな意味?

アメリカ人が、頻繁に if you will と言う表現を会話の中で話します。今一、意味がわかりません。どなたか教えていただけませんでしょうか? http://www.usingenglish.com/reference/idioms/if+you+will.html には、 'If you will' is used as a way of making a concession in a sentence: He wasn't a very honest person, a liar if you will. Here, it is used a way of accepting that the reader or listener might think of the person as a liar, but without commit the writer or speaker to that position fully. と説明されています。 そうすると「君たちもそう思うんじゃないかと思うけど」みたいなニュアンスになるかと思うのですが、 その他の説明として、 1. If you will February 11, 2011 Urban Word of the Day 1. An phrase overused by those trying to sound sophisticated and/or intelligent. 2. A phrase used frequently by Tobias Bluth from Arrested Development. Tobias: You could say I'm, if you will, 'buy curious' Man: I can "sprinkle the pudding" if you will. これは、「あなたが望むなら」に聞こえます。 2. if you will an overused saying, that asks for your permission to say something differently than expected, usually because the person speaking is illiterate and can't think of the correct way of saying it. The weatherman said that a catagory 5 hurricane named Debbie, a big ass storm, if you will, would be hitting New York City this week. これは、if you will forgive meって感じですね。「こんな言い方してごめんなさい。」と補足している感じですね。 3. if you will A phrase used to excuse the lack for a better word and/or kill any awkward tension in the air after mentioning something mildly aggressive or sexual. She used... a gargantuan amount of force on him, if you will. これも、if you will forgive meって感じですね。「こんな言い方してごめんなさい。」と補足している感じですね。 結局、willの使い方がよくわかりません。後ろに何か省略されているのか、意志としての意味が強いのか、もやもやしています。 どなたか教えていただけませんでしょうか?

• He said that not liking

He said that not liking to be alone is a sign of being unhappy with oneself but you can't say that if you've known someone for 24 hours. こちらは、どう訳したら、よろしいでしょうか。よろしくお願いいたします。

• 和訳お願いします

和訳お願いします。 “The act of being in front of someone while they have that screen — they know if you tip, don’t tip or go into custom screens,” he said. “People in that moment are much more likely to be generous and to tip.”

• 英文の和訳

和訳をしていただけるかたのみで お願いできますでしょうか? 再び挨拶の部分に入ったようです。 どうぞよろしくお願いいたします。 This reading is a totally hand crafted astrological reading done in the traditional way. Now Tomoko I will begin your Soulmate Two. This is the next long chapter in your Soul mate reading, and I promise it will be as enchanting, moving and illuminating as the original one was. It will add to the portrait and enhance the details, so that you can see him more clearly in your mind eye. In looking at this reading you are looking at the future with me, as if looking at a film on a blank screen. My English is poor and my words inadequate but I will do my utmost to faithfully describe him, his life and the details that the chart reveals. Your future and past are pictured here in your Natal chart. He is part of that future. Love is your destiny.

• あの人は君の姉さんがハンサムだと言っていた俳優でないですか?

タイトルの文を英訳するのに困っています。 先ず、二つに分けて考えてみました。 あの人は.....俳優でないですか? → Isn't he the actor who.....? 君の姉さんがハンサムだと言っていた... → you said that...is handsome それで、この二つを繋げてみました。 Isn't he the actor who your sister said that is handsome? これでは、whoとisが離れてしまい、めちゃくちゃですね。 かと言って “Isn't he the actor who is handsome.....”とちゃうと、“your siseter said”の入る余地がなくなってしまいます。 どうしたらいいでしょうか? 英語の得意な方、ご教授お願いします。

• 英文の和訳

英文の和訳をしていただけるかた のみで、お願いできますでしょうか? 抽象的かもしれませんが どうぞよろしくお願いいたします。 On the day you meet he will impress you, and in the days and hours afterwards he will haunt you. That is the only word for it. He will make an impact on the depth of your being that barely registers, except that in the time that follows you will not be able to think of any man but him.. He will seem striking, alluring in some way that you cannot fathom, and which has nothing to do with his looks, as though a chord is struck in your deeper soul, or the innermost chambers of your being. You will recognize him, not only from the description, which is in a sense quite bland, but something inside of you will be mesmerized. All day and days afterwards he will have stamped his indelible impression on your mind and you’ll keep thinking back to him, to the meeting, to the man, to the warm kindling feeling inside of you. Like a curtain of a dream it will drop across you life. It will be that mystical, that beautiful, yet real and solid too.

• None of this is on you.

And with that said, here's the thing, dude: you were actively and intentionally deceived by Tammy into believing that she was two years older than she actually is, which means that not only are you not a pedophile for drooling over her photos, but you really need to cut yourself some slack for receiving them in good faith. Morally speaking, you didn't do anything wrong here. And while this girl's reasons for lying may be sympathetic, the risk she exposed you to (not to mention anyone else she sexted with) is pretty unforgivable, and your rage is both natural and valid. Her actions have the very real potential to ruin the lives of innocent men, which is both appalling and completely her fault. None of this is on you. 最後の文のonはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• are you involved in some kind of dare?のdare

フレンズのシーズン8、エピソード2から いつも同じ赤いセーターを着ている人に向かって、 you do wear that sweater a lot, are you involved in some kind of dare? って言ったときの、dareとは何でしょうか?? 調べてみたのですが、適切な意味が見つかりません。 どうぞよろしくお願いいたします。