• ベストアンサー

refrain from a previous entry の意味

九州の旧家を見学した際、下記の掲示を見ました。要するに立ち入り禁止ということだと思いますが、昔、留学したイギリスでもこうした表現を見た記憶がありません。  どういうシチュエイションで用いられる表現なのか、ご存じのかたに教えていただければ幸いです。 Please refrain from a previous entry because of this.

• 英語
  • 回答数4
  • ありがとう数1

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • Parismadam
  • ベストアンサー率65% (2756/4211)
回答No.4

はじめまして。 ご質問1: <留学したイギリスでもこうした表現を見た記憶がありません。> 私もイギリスに長く留学しておりましたが、おっしゃる通り見た記憶はありません(笑)。 1.この英訳は、ご見学された旧家の広報担当の方が、翻訳機ではじき出した英文だと思われます。 2.その方はおそらく、こういう日本文を翻訳機にかけたのでしょう。 「これから、さきのご入場を、お慎み下さい」 3.この日本語が翻訳機で英訳された経緯を辿ると、以下のようになります。 これから=because of this さきのご入場=a previous entry をお慎み下さい=Please refrain from これが、ご質問文の英文になっているわけです。 ご質問2: <要するに立ち入り禁止ということだと思いますが> とすぐに解釈するできるというのは、素晴らしい英語力をお持ちのことと拝察します。英語が話せない人の立場になって、解釈を試みる柔軟な翻訳能力をお持ちだからです。 以上ご参考までに。

blackhill
質問者

お礼

なるほど。思いがけない回答ですが、納得しました。because of this で気づくべきでした。  恐らく、日頃、学生の英作に悩まされているのでしょうね。

その他の回答 (3)

• ANASTASIAK
  • ベストアンサー率19% (658/3306)
回答No.3

ま、あまりよい英語だとは思えませんが、 ここからはごゆっくりお進みください という気持ちなのでしょう。足元が危ないのでという状況 が思い浮かびます。 英国ではもっとバッチリ書いてあります。公演の犬の糞の 始末なども短いことばであちこちにありあす。あちらもこ こ十年ほどでマナーが悪くなりました。

noname#114795
noname#114795
回答No.2

refrain from ~ 「~を控える」 previous 「あせった,せっかちな」 because of this は文脈によります. Do not enter. よりやわらかいですかね. ex) Please refrain from the use of fountain pens, liquid ink, etc. Please refrain from smoking, drinking, or eating.

回答No.1

こんにちは。かなりまじめに考えました。誤りか冗談ではないかと思います。  おそらく「これより先、立ち入り禁止」のうち、「これ」が「this」、「より」が「~に因り(理由、原因)」とすれば「because of」、「先」が「previous」になっているのでしょう。  英語では「Please do not enter」か「Step out」ですもんね。

関連するQ&A

• 英文の意味を教えて下さい。

どうしてもLAのサイトのナイキシューズが欲しくて色々見ていたんですが注意書き見たいのところに下記のような文章がありました。これって業者用でしょうか?すみませんが意味を教えてくれませんか?お願いします。 I just want to show you what we have available in LA NOW. You can order your qty from this and we can ship to you fast from LA. By doing so, you can continue to carry NIKE until you receive the new 2017 collection. One of our distributors could not take because he is having issues with importation process. Please review and let me know.

• 英文の意味を教えて下さい。

アメリカのネットショップで小物を購入予定です。欲しい商品があったのですが在庫について質問をしていました。返事が来たのですが専門用語などがありちょっと私にはわかりませんでした。すみませんが意味を教えて下さい。お願いします。 all the xxx we received from 2018 collection are sold out, we don't have any piece left even for our website. For 2018 collection AAA please revise our digital catalog and I will see if we have any left over from our orders. As I mention before, we are giving priority to USA domestic orders first. So I will try to reserve the items you want before the container comes. For STR group we have an ETA for end of March. From your previous order here are the styles that you order: BBBB,CCCC Do you still want me to send you this items? Please let me know so I can reserve those pieces for you.

• フリーソフトfencesがインストール出来ない

fences[http://www.moongift.jp/2009/02/fences/] fencesを入れたいのですがインストールの途中で "error reading from file:C:\Documents and Settings\ユーザ名\Local Settings\Temp\mia...(略) verify that the file exists and that you can access it." という文字と中止・再試行・無視のボタンがあるダイアログが表示されます。 中止を押すと "this installation of impulse (a pre-requisite) failed this may be because a previous installation of impulse has not been fully uninstalled. please uninstall impulse if a previous install existed." と表示されインストールすることができません。 [デスクトップ整理フリーソフトfencesについて]http://oshiete1.goo.ne.jp/qa5158552.html を参考にしてadministratorでログインしてインストールしたのですがまた2番目に書いた英文が表示されてインストール出来ませんでした。 どうしたらfencesをインストールすることが出来ますか?

• イーベイで何かしてしまいました トラブルのようで困っています。

数年前イーベイで品物を落札しました。 私でなく当時の元彼がジッポライターを落札しました。 たしかジーンズも落札したかもしれません。 それから使っていません。 私は英語ができませんし… 先日イーベイHPからログインしたらなんだかエラーがでてペイパルの画面になりました。よくわからないまま199円送金しました。 (何故か、PAYPALの初めのお金と勘違いしそうしました) するとという画面になりました。 You have been suspended from eBay because our records indicate your account was involved in activities that violate our policies. If you feel you have been suspended in error or want to appeal this decision by providing additional information, please contact us. An email regarding this was sent to you at ***@.ocn.ne.jp. 英文を書き始めたのですが I am not becoming a violation. please give me some method to this situation. 何を書けばいいのかどう連絡すればいいでしょうか? 英語が全然わかりません、教えてください。 心配です。これで相手に伝わりますか? 宜しくお願いします。

• about HOTMAIL 

At first I can't write in Japanese in this computer so please consider my situation. (But avairable reading ) From the yesterday I couldn't log in or see any page of HOTMAIL. When I turn on the page,it was only blank pages. IF you are a Hotmail user,do you have same ploblems now? If not,do you know why this ploblems happened to it? I would have something important e-mails to me but I'm utterly confused because of fail to contact my own pages.. Please help me.

• どのような意味でしょうか

I have a college friend who is getting married this fall. (I found out about the engagement from a mutual friend and a subsequent email blast from the engaged friend.) I haven’t really spoken to Engaged Friend in the last year due to a history of minor slights and her overall sense of entitlement. (Honestly, I’ve always known she had the potential to be an awful person, but I disregarded it because I wasn’t on the receiving end.) At the wedding, I’d be one of the few attendees who knows that the groom was engaged to another woman two years ago and used Engaged Friend as a rebound. Knowing their history and Engaged Friend’s general bad behavior doesn’t put me in a celebratory mood. I don’t mind just sitting this one out, but I am concerned I will lose our mutual friend if I don’t attend. (She asked me to coordinate flights and hotel arrangements for the wedding weekend.) I don’t know how to explain I’m not attending without speaking ill of Engaged Friend, and I’m really just over the situation. over the situationはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• 日本語に翻訳してくださいm(__)m

(1) Please yuna. I love you and only you I’ve told other girls to fuck off because I’m with you and I want to always be with you (2) I love you (3)Please respond. I’m really crying from this you know (4)Please listen to me. And understand that you are the only one I care about 私 OK I understand. Just leave me alone. (5) Please don’t leave me. I’m not joking when I say this, I literally just threw up because of this. Really I’m sorry for making you feel that way. But honestly I can’t live with someone else. I really love you, only you

• 英語翻訳、できる方、どうかお願いします。

We note that you have provided only a partial reimbursement for this order. In this situation, a partial reimbursement is not appropriate because it does not address the cause for which this claim was filed. We would advise you to reimburse the buyer appropriately. Please let us know what the refund status is as soon as possible so that we may resolve this claim. Please note that failure to respond to this email within three business days may result in a debit to your Amazon.com account. 翻訳機を使わずできるかた、どうぞよろしくお願いします。

• 英語の得意な方教えて下さい。。。

初めて海外の通販を利用して購入手続きができたと思ったのですがメールには You have received this notification from ○○○ because you are a registered user or you or some other registered user requested some information for you from our store. Dear , Thank you for your order. Please come back soon! と書いてありました。 戻って来るように書いてあるので何かミスをしたようですが 上の文章がよく理解できません。 英語の得意な方がいらっしゃいましたら教えて下さいお願いします。 m(_ _)m

• イギリスにある靴を通販しようと、HP上の項目に沿って入力したのですが(

イギリスにある靴を通販しようと、HP上の項目に沿って入力したのですが(住所、名前、クレジットカードの番号など)今日このような内容のメールが届きました。 Unfortunately we have had some difficulty authorising your card on this occasion. The transaction can be declined for a number of reasons and we do not take this as an indication of your financial situation. We do not store your card details on our system so to enable us to authorise this card manually would you please let us have the long 16 digit number. Please call us or email with this information. I look forward to hearing from you by return. 一応、翻訳してみたのですがイマイチ内容が掴めず困っています。 最初に入力したクレジットカードの番号が間違っていたのでしょうか、それとも私のクレジットカードそのものが使えないのでしょうか。 返信しなければいけないみたいですが、どのように返すべきですか。 申し訳ございませんが、誰か訳せる方助けてください。