• ベストアンサー

英文の意味を教えてください。

His words were meant to be stirred around the world. To stir up within the noble mind, the unselfish mind of the human spirit, a recognition of a truth long forgotten by humanity. この中の be meant to be stirred around the world で、meant to~というのがよくわからないのですが。 be stirred around the world というのは、世界中の人を感動させた と言う意味ですか? その次の不定詞から始まる To stir up というのは、前の be stirred around the world の内容を詳しく述べている同格なんでしょうか?  Martin Luther King 牧師のことなのですが。

• 英語
  • 回答数2
  • ありがとう数7

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • Parismadam
  • ベストアンサー率65% (2756/4211)
回答No.2

はじめまして。 1.were meant toのmeanは「~するだけの意味がある」「~するほど重要である」という意味で使われています。主語が人でなくHis wordsと物なので、受身になり、過去分詞を用いて形容詞的な働きをしています。このto不定詞は「~するまで」→「~するほど」という程度の意味を持つ副詞的用法です。 His words were meant toで「彼の言葉は~するほど重要なものであった」 2.be stirred「扇動する」「奮起させる」「感動させる」とうい他動詞の受身になっています。 be stirred around the worldで「世界中で感動の渦を巻き起こす」 3.次文のTo stir up以下は前文のmeant toにかかっていきます。おっしゃる通りto be stirred around the worldの言い換えとなっている副詞句です。 4.within「~の中の」がかかる範囲はthe noble mind, the unselfish mind of the human spiritまでで、a recognition以下がstir up「奮起させる」の目的語になっています。 以上を踏まえて訳すと 「彼の言葉は、世界中を震撼させるほど重要な意味を持っていた。それは、人間性のもつ、高潔で私心のない心の内面に、長い間人類が忘れていた真実の覚醒を呼び起こしたのだ。」 ぐらいの訳になります。 以上ご参考までに。

whiteflame
質問者

お礼

ありがとうございます。本当によくわかりました。私はいつもbe meant to とか出てくると訳がわからなくなります。後の文も良くわかる解説ですっきりしました。厚く御礼申し上げます。

その他の回答 (1)

回答No.1

先日は、おせっかいをしてしまい、失礼しました。  meant toは、「~~の為に」  stirred around the worldのstirは、その後にある、文面から、「呼び覚ます」もしくは、「喚起」と訳しても良いかもしれません。    His words were meant to be stirred around the world.  彼の言葉は、世界中(の人々)を呼び覚ますためにあった。  何を呼び覚ますかは、To stir...以下の文章から、わかります。 例文も載せておきます。 -------------------------------------------    stir a memory of ~について2~3の[いくばくかの]記憶{きおく}を呼び覚ます、(主語が原因{げんいん}で)~についての記憶{きおく}が2~3よみがえる  英辞郎より ------------------------------------------- 参考まで。

whiteflame
質問者

お礼

いつもお教えいただきありがとうございます。be meant to は~のためのものであった でもよくわかりますね。stir up とか stir aroundとか出てくると、頭の中が白くなってお手上げです。 stir a mmory of などすごく勉強になりました。厚く御礼申し上げます。

関連するQ&A

• 英文

英文の和訳をよろしくお願いします! "All the voyages I have made are like works of art to me. Now I have completed a great work," said Horie when he got off the yacht. By "a great work" he meant the three around-the-world voyages he had made. In fact, this was the thord time he had sailed around the world by yacht.

• この文の意味を教えてください。

このメールの意味がわからなくて困っています。このような訳もわからなくって恥ずかしいです。よろしくお願いします。 What I meant to say is that, if I end up only correcting sentences on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, I'm willing to do around 12 on each of those days.

• 以下の英文についてお尋ねします。902

You don’t think I know what you’re going through? I didn’t grow up in the Cosby family. You think every other family I lived with was like this? No, I know what it’s like to be around someone who’s wasted out of their mind. I know what that stuff does to people. Which is why I’ll never do it myself. Silver, look, you gotta trust my dad. At least trust me. No, I know what it’s like to be around someone who’s wasted out of their mind. の部分なのですが、構文what it's like to beを意訳を入れて説明して頂ければありがたいです。アルコール中毒の母親に苦しむ娘(白人)とその彼氏(黒人)との会話です。

• 英文の意味は?

There must be something that pulled it to the ground. The same thing can be said of a plane that goes up. 2つの英文は繋がっているように思いますが、 「何かがあるに違いない」の何かとは何でしょうか?

• 英文を訳しているのですが、、、

英文を訳しているのですが、、、 uponというのが特に良く分かりません・・・ 最初のプログラムに$337.50かかり、さらに後で$225.00 かかるということでしょうか? The cost of the recognition of prior learning programme is $337.50 upon application with a further $225.00 later in the programme and a final payment which will be advised to you upon

• ここでのcomplementingの意味

It's easy to assume that we live in a scary, hateful world. Everyday the news is filled with stories that show the worst in humanity. It doesn't help that we barely connect with one another, living our days consumed with our needs and responsibilities. This may be what we are led to believe, since our humanity is tested everyday of our lives. Whether it's the simple act of stopping your busy day to give someone directions, complementing someone out of the blue, or simply smiling to a complete stranger. この文のcomplementing someone out of the blueとはどういう意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• 英文の意味を教えて下さい。

下記の英文を教えて下さい。某小物メーカーに記載されていました。すみませんが宜しくお願いします。 The prices will have to stay at the moment. Can you explain the prices calculation that you’re referring to? $12 vs. $17, why would your price be higher than $12, wouldn’t your landing price for $20 pen be around $30 so you can sell around $12 or more? How did you get $17. for a pen? As you know we have other dealers in usa and they’re not having the same calculation so please explain further so I may understand you better. Maybe if I understand better, I might be able to work with you. In addition, I will be out of town and will not return till March 9th so my replies might be delayed.

• 英文を訳して下さい。

German possession of Mont Perthois and Mont Sans Nom, meant that a French attack on Le Casque and Le Téton could be engaged by cross-fire. The hills on the edge of the Châlons plain could be outflanked from west to east, only after the German defences on either side of the Thuizy–Nauroy road and between Mont Sans Nom and the Suippes had been captured. The main German defensive position, was in the ruins of Bois de la Grille to the south-west of Mont Cornillet and west of the Thuizy–Nauroy road. An attack on the hills from the east, was blocked by the entrenchments from Mont Sans Nom to the Suippes, which ran south-east round Aubérive-sur-Suippes on the left bank of the river. North of Aubérive on the left bank, was the fortified village of Vaudesincourt on the St. Martin-l'Heureux road. The Germans had dug several lines of trenches from north to south, on the west and east slopes of the hills, the trenches on the west running north and west of Nauroy. In front of Nauroy was another trench, which linked the defences on top of Mont Cornillet. Near the Suippes, a network of trenches followed the ridge above the river to St. Martin-l'Heureux. Higher up the slope, another trench led to Grand Bois de la Côte 179 and protected Le Téton from an attack from the north-east.

• 英文の解釈について

英文の解釈についていくつか質問があります。 1)Medical breakthroughs have brought about great benefits for humanity as a whole. for humanity as a wholeはbenefits、brought aboutのどちらにかかっているのですか? 2)They found no place to hide. こういうno place to hideという構造は、no (place to hide)、(no place) to hideのどちらと考えるべきなのでしょうか? 3)His nephew was brought up to be modest and considerate. このtoは結果の不定詞(= ・・・, and V)で、直訳は「彼の甥は育てられて、謙虚で思いやりのある人になるようになった」と解釈するのですか? 4)Consensus is yet to be reached regarding this matter. このbe yet to do、have yet to do(まだ~していない)はどういう文法になっているのですか?さっぱりわかりません。    

• 英文の構造を教えてください

John Stuart Millの自由論の冒頭ですが First, by obtaining a recognition of certain immunities, called political liberties or rights, which it was to be regarded as a breach of duty in the ruler to infringe, and which, if he did infringe, specific resistance, or general rebellion, was held to be justifiable. 英文の構造が分かりません。