• ベストアンサー

オーウェルの一節の訳を教えてください

'In Spain nothing from a meal to a battle ever happens at the appointed time. As a general rule things happen too late, but just occasionally - just so that you shan't be able to depend on their happening late - they happen too early.' ジョージ・オーウェルのカタロニア賛歌の一節ですが、 just so that you shan't be able to depend on their happening lateの部分がうまく訳せません。 shan't(shall not)やjust so that、depend onが、ここではどういうニュアンスで使われているのかがわかりません。 この部分の意味と和訳を教えていただけないでしょうか?

• 英語
  • 回答数3
  • ありがとう数1

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • d-y
  • ベストアンサー率46% (1528/3312)
回答No.3

スペインでは、食事から戦争まで、予定通りの時間に物事が起こるということが決してない。 たいていの場合、物事は遅れて始まるのだが、たまに予定より早く始まることもあるので、いつも遅れると決め付けてしまうこともできない。 “・・・ so that ~”には、「~するくらい・・・」という訳し方と「・・・なので~」という訳し方の2通りの訳し方があります。 どちらで訳しても意味的には同じことなのですが、後者の訳し方の方が日本語として自然なことが多いかもしれません。 “depend on”は「あてにする」という意味。 ここでは、どうせ遅れるんだと決め付けて、自分も遅れて行動するということを言っています。 “shan't”は、「してはいけない」「できない」ですね。

その他の回答 (2)

• bluespace
  • ベストアンサー率27% (15/54)
回答No.2

スペインでは、食事から戦争までも何事も予定時刻に始まることはない。 一般的なきまりのごとく、ものごとは相当に遅れて起こる。 しかしごくときたまであるが、誰もが遅れて起こる出来事を当てにはできない(と同じ)ように、(予期よりも)かなりに早く生起する。 といった感じかと思います。 文法的には自信がありません。

• ForrestG
  • ベストアンサー率62% (139/223)
回答No.1

「スペインでは、食事から戦争まで、決まった時間に始まることは全くない。  原則的に、何事も始まるのが遅すぎるのだ。  しかし、万事ゆっくりであることを当てにできないよう念のため言っておくと、たまには始まるのが早すぎることもある。」 要は、スペインでは何でものんびりしているが、それを当て込んで自分ものんびり構えていると、ごくたまに思ったより早く物事が始まってしまうこともあるから油断はできない、ということかと。 "just so [that]..." は、"so that..." に just がついたもので、「~するように」。逐語的に訳すと「物事が遅く起こること(their happening late)を当てにする(depend on)ことができない(you shan't be able to)ように(just so that)」と言ったような感じです。

関連するQ&A

• 訳をお願いいたします!

確認をしたいのでよろしくお願いいたします! In the middle of the war on terrorism, the federal government needs a more secure system to protect the hoeland , one that doesn't depend on the chance rate of 60%. Unfortunately, most of the devices now available, like the polygraph, detect not the lie but anxiety about the lie. The polygraph measures physiological responses to stress, like increases in blood pressure and rate of breathing , and so on. So it can miss the most dangerous liars: the ones who don't care that they're lying, or have been been trained to lie. It can also miss the true believers willing to die for the cause.

• 高校英語 助動詞の問題

クリックありがとうございます(∩´∀`)∩ ★和訳しなさい。  (1)Why should he think so?  (2)We proposed that a doctor should be sent for.    (私たちは医者を呼ぶべきだと提案した。) ★助動詞を用いて英訳しなさい。  (3)もうすぐ昼食の準備ができるはずだ。  (4)彼らが公平であることがとても重要だった。(It~that…)  (5)父は私が30歳になるまでに結婚するように言い張る。  (6)いったいなぜ警察が来るんだ?    (Why can the police come?)  (7)他人に頼り(depend on)すぎるべきではない。    (You ought not to depend too much on others.) 以上の問題について教えてください。 よろしくお願いします。

• 訳お願いします(-_-;)

訳お願いします(-_-;) Mika I am going to get you something on June 15 I can't tell you because I want it to be a surprise Mika on Facebook lets put that we are in a relationship okay Mika when I said send me a message through my email I was just wondering if it worked have a good day tomorrow and hope so everything works out fine that we will be able to hangout on June 15 and go to karaoke 長いですが、日本語にお願いします(-_-;)

• 英語の質問です

Please come early. We want to be able to start the meeting on time. をso thatを使って一文にすると 1 Please come early so that we will be able to start the meeting on time. 2 Please come early so that we can start the meeting on time. どちらが正しいですか?

• 穴埋めと訳を教えて下さい

(1) we are()()off our shoes here. we should take off... (2) not a person was to be found on the street. not a person()be... (3) Bill worked hard because he wanted to buy a computer. Bill wanted hard so ()()()a computer. (4) he left home so late that he could not catch the train. he left home() late()()the train. (5) she took a flight so that she could save time. she took a flight in order to() time. (6) Meg was so kind that she waited for me for an hour. Meg was kind()()wait... 長くてすみません! 訳も教えて下さい…

• 訳の修正

ペンパルからのメールなんですが、ちょっと意味が分りません。数人女の子が話かけてくるけど、私は話したくない。ということはなんとなく分ったのですが・・・すいませんが訳を教えて下さいおねがいしあmす。My first day out here wasn't bad at all. I saw a lot of people around here! A couple a girls tried to talk to me and I didn't want to talk them. I miss you so much, that I wanted you to be here with me! 私が戻ったら私と私の誕生日を祝えたらいいな。もしむりならいいよ。これしか分りません。I hope that when I get back, you would be able to celebrate my birthday with me! If you don't, I understand. I could write you on, and on, and on,but I am about to go to sleep.

• 英文の訳をお願いします。

僕に海外の友人が英語について教えてくれているのですが、詳しく知りたいので力を貸して頂けると有り難いです。よろしくお願いします。 * If you say "it does not serve as a bed" that typically means that it is not able to be used as a bed.  In the next sentence you mention that sometimes you like to sleep in it, so a better way to describe what you're saying could be... "A kotatsu will serve as a table, but it's not intended to be used as a bed." This way you're saying that it's not supposed to be a bed, but you could use it that way if you really wanted to. * I wasn't sure if this is what you were trying to say so I guessed.

• 以下の英文の日本語訳がイマイチ分かりません

Why wasn't she too frightened to get out? Some people thought so little of death that they took their own lives.

• 文構造について

以下の文について教えてください。 I believe that our factory will be able to supply the kayaks and so on that you reqire to make the new tour concept a possibility. ... so on that you ... ここでの that は believe を受ける that という理解でいいのでしょうか。 以上、よろしくお願いいたします。

• 訳をよろしくお願いします

Millie has a daughter and a son, but they live on the opposite side of the country and aren’t able to visit now. Her daughter is 4, and when I saw her over the summer, she briefly referred to me as auntie. Millie pulled her daughter to the side and told her that I was not her auntie and that I was to be referred to by my first name. I was to be referred to by my first nameの訳をよろしくお願いします