• 締切済み

onについて

The Scandinavians scored twice in seven minutes late on to beat Canada 2-1 in the day's other semi-fainal. late on toのonの意味と役割はなんでしょうか? 一見するとonはなくてもいいような気もするのですが

みんなの回答

noname#41949
noname#41949
回答No.1

later on という成句があるように late on という成句もあります。late だけだと手持ちぶさたな感じがするのでこういった成句が使われることもあります。 Look at the pictures. と Take a look at the pictures. とを比較してみましょう。重要な情報は「見てほしい」ということです。それが文頭にいきなり出現するということはどういう意味をもつでしょうか?聞き逃す可能性も高いということです。だから英語では重要な情報は後ろに来る傾向があります(これには例外もあります)。だから "Take a look at the pictures." の出番です。 これと同じように考えます。"late" 一語だと「聞き逃し」の可能性が大です。"late on" だとその可能性が小さくなります。書かれたのニュースなどでも、書いた人は頭の中で「喋っている」のでそれが書かれた文になることがあります(もちろん書かれた文独特の単語の選択もありますが)。

billboard
質問者

お礼

ご回答ありがとうございます! late onでひとつの組み合わせだったんですね またわかりやすいご説明ありがとうございました!

全文を見る
すると、全ての回答が全文表示されます。

関連するQ&A

• with the return on について

こんにちは。 企業の買収に関する記事を読んでいるのですが、下記の文章で with the return on share repurchases remaining・・ のところがよく分かりません。 we expect to allocate the revenue to further share repurchases, or invest in other businesses, with the return on share repurchases remaining our case to beat.” 我々は売上高を今後の株式の買戻しのために割り当てる、 もしくはその他の事業に投資していくつもりである。 とwith 以下を抜いて解釈したのですが、 我々のcase(売却?)を駄目にする?株式の買い戻しに関する返却・・ と意味があまり通らない解釈になってしまいます。 ここのところがよく分からないのですが、宜しくお願い致します。

• この文の構造を教えてください。

高校英語なのですが、 Temperatures in the Arctic are rising at twice the rate as they are rising on the rest of the planet. この文のasは、何の役割をしているのですか?和訳が良く分からなくなってしまって困っています。すみませんが回答よろしくお願いします。

• 翻訳をお願い致します!

“Before [the Scott Weiland solo tour this year] there was a lot of other stuff, and you know just going on tour and being 30 minutes late or 40 minutes late on stage. That's the thing, I remember he was an hour and a half late in New Jersey [On May 31, 2008 at the PNC, Filter also played at this show]. [The DeLeo brothers] came from Point Pleasant, New Jersey.”

• on meの役割を教えてください

以下の会話文で, A:What seems to be the problem? (何か問題でもありましたか?) B:The problem is the car stalled out on me in the middle of Route 16. (ルート16の真ん中で車が立ち往生しました) Bの発言の中の「on me」がどんな役割なのかわかりません. なくても伝わるように思うのですが. だれか教えてください

• この英文の意味をお願いします

この英文の意味をお願いします "If twice as much time should be allowed for each mathematical problem as for each other questions, how many minutes should be spent on the mathematical problems?" 数学の問題から。

• 経済学です

こんにちは、いま、経済学の勉強を英語でしています the interest rate the fedral changes on loans to bank のところの、change on loans to bankとは、どういう意味でしょうか? 銀行にお金を貸すことを変えると訳すんでしょうか? the interest rate banks change on overnight loans to other banks とあるんですが、どーしてもloans のつかい方がはっきりせず、しかも文法もメッチャくチャのような気がして、なんとなく言いたいことは分かるんですが、はっきりとわかろおませんよかったら、どのように訳すのが一番適当なのか、しえていただけると光栄です よろしくお願いします

• on the horizontal leg

At the end of the thirties Leesden End was an L-shaped town. Our house stood near the top of the L. At the other extreme was the market. Mr Simmonds, the oculist, had his shop on the horizontal leg, and he lived there above the shop with his mother and sister. All the other shops in the row were attached to each other, but Mr Simmonds' stood apart, like a real house, with a lane on either side. Muriel SparkのThe Dark Glassesからの英文です。 (主人公が過去を回想している場面から始まります) Mr Simmonds, the oculist, had his shop on the horizontal legの on the horizontal legとはどういう意味ですか? 教えてください。 宜しくお願いします。

• 日本語訳のお願いです

Okazaki headed Japan in front on 36 minutes and Honda added a second deep into second-half injury time to ensure Japan claimed Group A bragging rights. いまいち上手く訳できません。特にJapan in front on 36 minutes  a second deep など どのように訳するといいでしょうか?

• ON THE GROUND

Though it may not look it on the ground at times, India is one of the few bright spots in a global economy with decidedly dim prospects in 2009. It is forecast to grow at a robust 5 to 6 percent this year—which is faster than it averaged in the 1990s, and nearly double the rate of expansion over the country's first three decades of independence. インドはがんばってるぞという記事ですが、どしょっぱつの文章がわからりません。 時折、インドは ON THE GROUND でああみえてはいるが、2009年の世界経済が決定的に暗い見通しである中、数少ない希望のある国の一つである。 ここの "ON THE GROUND" の意味は2つ思いつくのですが、 1. 地球上の国々の中で常にああみえるが(停滞しているようには見えるが)の "地球上の国々の中で"という意味 2. 常に最低 の "最低"という意味 どちらかあってる解釈はありますか? それとも全く違う意味でしょうか。 宜しくお願いします(´_`。)

• on our end

Yesterday my husband and I spent three hours on the road, traveling from our home to our nephew's college football game. We told my sister we planned to attend his game and gave up tickets to a Division I game in our hometown. I called my sister on the way there to ask whether she could save us seats. It was then that I found out she wouldn't be attending her son's game. Instead, she had gotten tickets to the game we were missing. The weather was perfect. The tickets cost only $5 each. And our nephew played about half the game. The problem occurred after the game, when we stood on the field. We were next to my brother-in-law, waiting to greet our nephew, but we were completely ignored the whole time. First my nephew stopped at the other end of the field to greet his girlfriend. He finally appeared on our end and stopped on the right side of us to greet his friends and their father. on our endはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします