What does 'on the horizontal leg' mean?

このQ&Aのポイント
  • Learn the meaning of 'on the horizontal leg' in the context of Muriel Spark's The Dark Glasses.
  • Discover the significance of Mr Simmonds, the oculist, having his shop on the horizontal leg.
  • Find out how the location of Mr Simmonds' shop contributes to the overall setting of the L-shaped town.
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

on the horizontal leg

At the end of the thirties Leesden End was an L-shaped town. Our house stood near the top of the L. At the other extreme was the market. Mr Simmonds, the oculist, had his shop on the horizontal leg, and he lived there above the shop with his mother and sister. All the other shops in the row were attached to each other, but Mr Simmonds' stood apart, like a real house, with a lane on either side. Muriel SparkのThe Dark Glassesからの英文です。 (主人公が過去を回想している場面から始まります) Mr Simmonds, the oculist, had his shop on the horizontal legの on the horizontal legとはどういう意味ですか? 教えてください。 宜しくお願いします。

• 英語
  • 回答数1
  • ありがとう数2

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
回答No.1

こんばんは。この文章は街がL字型をしていることから、街の中のことをL字のどこにあるかで順に説明しているんですね。 順に訳すと、 「30年代の終わりには、Leesden Endは、L字型の街だった。私たちは、Lの字のいちばんてっぺんのちかくに建っていた。反対の端(=Lの垂直の長い辺の下端でしょうね)に市場があった。」 とあり、続いて、 「検眼士のミスター・シモンズは、「horizontal leg(水平の足)」に店を持っていた。」 というわけで、文章の流れから、水平の足は、Lの字のなかの位置を言ってることがわかるでしょう。もちろん、Lの字の「水平の足」とは、「Lの水平の短い辺」ということですね。 あわせて訳すと、 「30年代の終わりには、Leesden Endは、L字型の街だった。私たちは、Lの字のいちばんてっぺんのちかくに建っていた。私たちの家からLの字の反対側、つまり下端にあたるところに市場があった。検眼士のミスター・シモンズは、Lの字の短い辺のところに店を持っていて、店の2階に母親と妹(※)と一緒に住んでいた。市場の他の店はみんな列をなしていて互いにくっつきあっていたが、ミスター・シモンズの店は独立していて、左右に通路があってほんものの家のようだった。」 といった感じでしょう。 (※)sister はもちろんこの文だけからでは姉か妹かわかりません。 以上ご参考になれば幸いです。

aduagrean
質問者

お礼

on the horizontal legとは、L字型の街の「Lの水平の短い辺」を意味していたのですね。 すごくよくわかりました!ありがとうございます! 全部の訳もありがとうございます。よくわかりました。 (確かにこの文からは、sisterは姉か妹かまだわからないですね)

関連するQ&A

• for certainとcertainly、他

I was sent to have my eyes tested. He took me into the darkened interior and said, "Sit down, dear." He put his arm round my shoulder. His forefinger moved up and down on my neck. I was thirteen and didn't like to be rude to him. Dorothy Simmonds, his sister, came downstairs just then; she came upon us silently and dressed in a white overall. Before she had crossed the room to switch on a dim light Mr Simmonds removed his arm from my shoulder with such a jerk that I knew for certain he had not placed it there in innocence. Muriel SparkのThe Dark Glassesからの英文です。 Mr Simmonds removed his arm from my shoulder with such a jerk that I knew for certain he had not placed it there in innocence.のところはsuch~that構文だと思うのですが、 ●a jerkはどのように意味をとるとよいですか? ●for certainとcertainlyは同じ意味ですか? 使い方に何か違いはあるのでしょうか? 前文は At the end of the thirties Leesden End was an L-shaped town. Our house stood near the top of the L. At the other extreme was the market. Mr Simmonds, the oculist, had his shop on the horizontal leg, and he lived there above the shop with his mother and sister. All the other shops in the row were attached to each other, but Mr Simmonds' stood apart, like a real house, with a lane on either side. となっています。 教えてください。 宜しくお願いします。

• The Dark Glassesからの英文です。

I saw Dr Gray leaving the Simmonds at six o'clock one evening. She must have been calling on poor Miss Simmonds. She noticed me at once as I emerged from the lane. "Don't loiter about, Joan. It's getting chilly." The next evening I saw a light in the office window. I stood under the tree and looked. Dr Gray sat upon the desk with her back to me, quite close. Mr Simmonds sat in his chair talking to her, tilting back his chair. A bottle of sherry stood on the table. They each had a glass half-filled with sherry. Dr Gray swung her legs, she was in the wrong, sexy, like our morning help who sat on the kitchen table swinging her legs. But then she spoke. "It will take time," she said. "A very difficult patient, of course." Basil nodded. Dr Gray swung her legs, and looked professional. She was in the right, she looked like our games mistress who sometimes sat on a desk swinging her legs. Before I returned to school I saw Basil one morning at his shop door, "Reading glasses all right now?" he said. "Oh yes, thank you." "There's nothing wrong with your sight. Don't let your imagination run away with you." I walked on, certain that he had known my guilty suspicions all along. Muriel SparkのThe Dark Glassesからの英文です。 主人公(Joan)は15歳ぐらいの女の子です。 Miss SimmondsはMr Simmonds (検眼士)の姉です。 Miss Simmondsが誤ってatropineという薬を点眼してしまい、失明の危機に陥っているところです。 -------------------------------------------------------------- ●Dr Gray swung her legs, she was in the wrong, in the wrongを辞書で引くと「間違って」とありました。 グレイ医師は足を揺らし、間違っていた。というのはどういう意味でしょうか? 教えてください。お願いします。 前文は "Dr Gray says if you switch from eserine to atropine--" It was put down to an accident. There was a strong hope that Miss Simmonds's one eye would survive. It was she who had made up the prescription. She refused to discuss it. I said, "The bottle may have been tampered with, have you thought of that?" "Joan's been reading books." The last week of my holidays old Mrs Simmonds died above the shop and left all her fortune to her daughter. At the same time I got tonsillitis and could not return to school. I was attended by our woman doctor, the widow of the town's former doctor who had quite recently died. This was the first time I had seen Dr Gray, although I had known the other Dr Gray, her husband, whom I missed. The new Dr Gray was a sharp-faced athletic woman. She was said to be young. She came to visit me every day for a week. After consideration I decided she was normal and in the right, though dull. となっています。

• 過去分詞などで一語でも後修飾の場合?

「マイクは足を組んでソファに座っていた。」を英訳しなさい。 という問で、 Mike was sitting with his crossed legs in(on) the (a) sofa. Mike was sitting in(on) the (a) sofa with his crossed legs. Mike was sitting in (on) the (a) sofa with his legs crossed. などが、解答などから考えられるのですが、 確認したいこと(1) with his crossed legs とin (on) the(a) sofaのそれぞれの句が前にくるのか後ろにくるのかはどっちでもいいのでは?と思っています。どうなのでしょう? (2)with his legs crossed.がwith his crossed legs なのではないのか?と思っています。 crossed過去分詞一語の形容詞的用法では his とlegsの間に入るべきでは?と考えています。どうなのでしょう?   (3)in(on)や the (a)はこれだけしか日本語文をあたえられていないのでは、どちらでもありだと思っています。 よろしくお願いいたします。

"Can you read?" said Mr Simmonds.   I stopped looking round. I said, "Read what?"--for I had been told I would be asked to read row after row of letters. The card which hung beneath the dim light showed pictures of trains and animals.   "Because if you can't read we have pictures for illiterates."  This was Mr Simmonds' joke. I giggled. His sister smiled and dabbed her right eye with her handkerchief. She had been to London for an operation on her right eye.  I recall reading the letters correctly down to the last few lines, which were too small. I recall Mr Simmonds squeezing my arm as I left the shop, turning his sandy freckled face in a backward glance to see for certain that his sister was not watching. Muriel SparkのThe Dark Glassesからの英文です。 Mr Simmonds=検眼士です。 ーーーーーーーーーーーーーーーーー ●row after row of lettersのところはどうやって読むのでしょうか? ●Mr Simmonds' jokeというのは、主人公の女の子が字が読めないなら、と言って(検眼のときに)文字ではなく絵を見せたことですか? 前文は I had seen Miss Simmonds once before, at a garden fete, where she stood on a platform in a big hat and blue dress, and sang "Sometimes between long shadows on the grass", while I picked up windfall apples, all of which seemed to be rotten. Now in her white overall she turned and gave me a hostile look, as if I had been seducing her brother. I felt sexually in the wrong, and started looking round the dark room with a wide-eyed air. となっています。 宜しくお願いします。

She looked at me, then returned to attend to the person in the shop, leaving the intervening door wide open. She was back again almost immediately. My examination was soon over. Mr Simmonds saw me out at the front door and gave me pleading unhappy look. I felt like a traitor and I considered him horrible. Muriel SparkのThe Dark Glassesからの英文です。 Mr Simmondsは検眼士です。(she=Mr Simmondsの姉) 主人公は15歳ぐらいの女の子です。 --------------------------------- I felt like a traitor とあるのですがtraitorは”裏切り者”でしょうか? (horribleは”ひどく嫌な”?主人公がMr Simmondsをそう思うのはわかるのですが) なぜ主人公が自分のことをそのように感じたのかがわかりません。 前文は :(主人公が検眼にMr Simmondsのお店を訪れた場面です) You're quite the young lady, Joan," he said, looking at my new breasts.   I smiled and put my hand in my blazer pocket.   He was smaller than he had been two years ago. I thought he must be about fifty or thirty. His face was more freckled than ever and his eyes were flat blue as from a box of paints. Miss Simmonds appeared silently in her soft slippers. "You're quite the young lady, Joan," she said from behind her green glasses, for her right eye had now gone blind and the other was said to be troubling her. We went into the examination room. She glided past me and switched on the dim light above the letter card. I began to read out the letters while Basil Simmonds stood with folded hands. Someone came into the front shop. Miss Simmonds slid off to see who it was and her brother tickled my neck. I read on. He drew me towards him. I put my hand into my blazer pocket. He said, "Oh!" and sprang away as the hat-pin struck through my blazer and into his thigh.   Miss Simmonds appeared in the doorway in her avenging white overall. Her brother, who had been rubbing his thigh in a puzzled way, pretended to be dusting a mark off the front of his trousers. "What's wrong? Why did you shout?" she said. "No, I didn't shout." となっています。 教えてください。宜しくお願いします。

• on our end

Yesterday my husband and I spent three hours on the road, traveling from our home to our nephew's college football game. We told my sister we planned to attend his game and gave up tickets to a Division I game in our hometown. I called my sister on the way there to ask whether she could save us seats. It was then that I found out she wouldn't be attending her son's game. Instead, she had gotten tickets to the game we were missing. The weather was perfect. The tickets cost only $5 each. And our nephew played about half the game. The problem occurred after the game, when we stood on the field. We were next to my brother-in-law, waiting to greet our nephew, but we were completely ignored the whole time. First my nephew stopped at the other end of the field to greet his girlfriend. He finally appeared on our end and stopped on the right side of us to greet his friends and their father. on our endはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

I had seen Miss Simmonds once before, at a garden fete, where she stood on a platform in a big hat and blue dress, and sang "Sometimes between long shadows on the grass", while I picked up windfall apples, all of which seemed to be rotten. Now in her white overall she turned and gave me a hostile look, as if I had been seducing her brother. I felt sexually in the wrong, and started looking round the dark room with a wide-eyed air. Muriel SparkのThe Dark Glassesからの英文です。 ーーーーーーーーーーーーーーーーー I felt sexually in the wrong, and started looking round the dark room with a wide-eyed air. ここの、 I felt sexually in the wrongとはどういう意味合いですか? in the wrongとはどういうことを言いたかったのでしょうか? (主人公の女の子は何も悪くはないと思うのですが) また、 and started looking round the dark room with a wide-eyed air.の個所の with a wide-eyed airという表現は(主人公の状態として)どんなことを表しているのでしょうか? 小説なので書いている表現を読み取るのが難しいのですが 教えていただけると幸いです。 前文は I was sent to have my eyes tested. He took me into the darkened interior and said, "Sit down, dear." He put his arm round my shoulder. His forefinger moved up and down on my neck. I was thirteen and didn't like to be rude to him. Dorothy Simmonds, his sister, came downstairs just then; she came upon us silently and dressed in a white overall. Before she had crossed the room to switch on a dim light Mr Simmonds removed his arm from my shoulder with such a jerk that I knew for certain he had not placed it there in innocence. となっています。 (お手数をおかけしてしまってすみません) he(Mr Simmonds)=検眼士です。 宜しくお願いします。

”You're quite the young lady, Joan," he said, looking at my new breasts.   I smiled and put my hand in my blazer pocket.   He was smaller than he had been two years ago. I thought he must be about fifty or thirty. His face was more freckled than ever and his eyes were flat blue as from a box of paints. Miss Simmonds appeared silently in her soft slippers. "You're quite the young lady, Joan," she said from behind her green glasses, for her right eye had now gone blind and the other was said to be troubling her. Muriel SparkのThe Dark Glassesからの英文です。 he=Mr Simmondsは検眼士です。 13歳だった主人公の女の子が2年経って再びSimmondsさんのお店を訪れた場面です。 ----------------------------------- His face was more freckled than ever and his eyes were flat blue as from a box of paints.の his eyes were flat blue as from a box of paintsがわからないのですが、 as fromを辞書で引くと ・・・から(法律・契約など正式な日付に用いる)とありました。 この英文の場合には意味的に当てはまらない感じなのですが どのように訳すのでしょうか? 教えてください。宜しくお願いします。 前文は I broke the glasses by sitting on them during my school holidays two years later.   My grandmother said, after she had sighed, "It's time you had your eyes tested--" "--eyes tested in any case," said my aunt when she had sighed.   I washed my hair the night before and put a wave in it. Next morning at eleven I walked down to Mr Simmonds's with one of my grandmother's long hat-pins in my blazer pocket. The shop front had been done up, with gold lettering on the glass door: Basil Simmonds, Optician, followed by a string of letters which, so far as I remember, were FBOA, AIC, and others. となっています。

• 長文ですが和訳をお願いします

Andrew Blackman had been a keen rugby player ever since he was a schoolboy. Of course he had received plenty of injuries over the year, but eveyone knew it was a tough sport. You might even say a little pain was all part of the fun. The fun ended one day in autumn when he was carried away from the field unconscious. It had been a particularly hard match. Ron Sullivan,a forward on the other team, had been tacking very aggressively and pushing too early in the scrums. At times the referee,Mr Simmonds,had great difficulty in controlling the play. Suddenly ten players had collapsed on top of Andrew during a scrum and the next thing he renembered was when he was in hospital unable to feel his legs. Eventually doctors broke the news to him: his lower body was permannently paralysed. He would never walk again,let alone play rugby. Even worse,he would have to give up his job. When he recovered from the shock Andrew decided to do something about his situation. To be sure rugby was a violent game,but he left there was no excuse for an injury such as his. In his opinion both Sullivan and Simmonds had behaved irresponsibly and he decided to sue them for negligence. Many of his fellow players were surprised by his decision. Of course they felt very sorry for Andrew. No one could doubt that he had been unlucky. But if you play a violent sport you have to accept risks. No one could be blamed for his unfortunate accident. Surely the court would not penalise Sullivan or Simmonds.

Dorothy was beside us in no time. She peered one-eyed at the glasses, then at me. "Are you constipated?" she said. I maintained silence. But I felt she was seeing everything through her green glasses. "Put them on," Dorothy said. "Try them on," said Basil. They were ganged up together. Everything was going wrong, for I had come here to see how matters stood between them after the affair of the will. Basil gave me something to read. "It's all right now," I said, "but it was all a blur when I tried to read this morning." "Better take a dose," Dorothy said. I wanted to get out of the shop with my glasses as quickly as possible, but the brother said, "I'd better test your eyes again while you're here just to make sure." He seemed quite normal. I followed him into the dark interior. Dorothy switched on the light. They both seemed normal. The scene in the little office last night began to lose its conviction. As I read out the letters on the card in front of me I was thinking of Basil as "Mr Simmonds" and Dorothy as "Miss Simmonds", and feared their authority, and was in the wrong. Muriel SparkのThe Dark Glassesからの英文です。 主人公は15歳ぐらいの女の子です。 Basil=検眼士です。 Dorothyは検眼士の姉です。 主人公が検眼のためにBasilの店を訪れている場面です。 -------------------------------------------------------------- 一番最後の As I read out the letters on the card in front of me I was thinking of Basil as "Mr Simmonds" and Dorothy as "Miss Simmonds", and feared their authority, and was in the wrong. の個所の ●I was thinking of Basil as "Mr Simmonds" and Dorothy as "Miss Simmonds"というのは 主人公のどういう心境を表しているのでしょうか? うまく掴めません。 ●and feared their authority, and was in the wrong.のauthority(権威)とはどういう意味なのでしょうか? 小説の前の方から読んでいないとわかりにくいと思いますが、教えてください。宜しくお願いします。 前文は "What are you doing?" she said. He jumped up and pulled the blotting paper over his work. Her one eye through her green glasses glinted upon him, though I did not actually see it do so, but saw only the dark green glass focused with a squint on to his face. "I'm making up the accounts," he said, standing with his back to the desk, concealing the papers. I saw his hand reach back and tremble among them. "I shivered in my soaking wet clothes. Dorothy looked with her eye at the window. I slid sideways to avoid her and ran all the way home. Next morning I said. "I've tried to read with these glasses. It's all a blur. I suppose I'll have to take them back?" "Didn't you notice anything wrong when you tried---" "---tried them on in the shop?" "No. But the shop's so dark. Must I take them back?" I took them into Mr Simmonds early that afternoon. "I tried to read with them this morning, but it's all a blur." It was true that I had smeared them with cold cream first. となっています。