• 締切済み

state, country, nation

countryとstateの違いについて訪ねられ、 "country" is used to talk about mainly its land or people, "state" is used in a formal way than "country" to talk about its structure as a legal system rather than land or people. と答えてしまったのですが、これで良かったのかどうか自信がありません。 countryとstateの違いって何でしょうか? nationについても教えてくださると助かります。

• 英語
  • 回答数4
  • ありがとう数21

みんなの回答

noname#70244
noname#70244
回答No.4

まず 地理に重きをおいたニュアンスで 国 というときは country     国民に重きをおいたニュアンスで 国 というときは nation     政治に重きをおいたニュアンスで 国 というときは state  こんな感じで理解しとけばいいんじゃないでしょうか

• goonee
  • ベストアンサー率26% (21/79)
回答No.3

country:最も一般的な単語。 異なる政治的区分による地域の事、いわゆる国。 state:自らが社会組織をもち、政治的な統一や独立の観念が強い。 nation:主権や政府のある国。アメリカ合衆国やアフリカの国。

回答No.2

うわー、微妙な問題ですね。 えーと、分かりやすい所でnationとstateの違いから考えてみたいと思います。 現代的な国家の形態の一つとして"nation-state(国民国家)"がありますよね。nationとstateが一緒になった形態です。国民国家の定義は、同一の文化的、歴史的、言語的バックグラウンドを持つグループによって構成される政治的共同体になります。つまり、nationというのは文化的・人種的共同体という意味合いが強く、逆にstateは政治的な共同体ということになります。nationではあってもstateではない例(トルコのクルド人、アメリカのネイティブ・アメリカンなど)を考えるとより両者の違いが分かりやすいのではないでしょうか。 問題はcountryですが、私も不明瞭だったのでグーグルで定義を調べてみました。それによると、 nation or state The territory of a nation or state; land. The people of a nation or state; populace: The whole country will profit from the new economic reforms. と出てきます。 政治的共同体という意味ではstateと同じだけれど、あなたが"country"と"state"との違いを説明する際に使った「ある特定の国家に属する人々」「ある特定の国家が保持する領土」という意味も含んでおり、解釈次第ではnationに近い意味も持っているという感じのようですね。state、nationの定義から完全に離れてcountryを定義することは難しそうです。 参考になれば幸いです。

• neubig
  • ベストアンサー率0% (0/0)
回答No.1

countryとstateはほとんど同じで、日本語の「国」に当たります。中央政治もあり、国境もあります。stateはただもっと改めた言い方だけです。 countryかstateと言えるときにnationも言えますが、nationはその他の二つと違って、中央政治も国境もない、民族は同じことだけでつながってる人々を示すこともあります。たとえば、昔のアメリカンインディアンの「イロコイ」は中央政治がありませんでしたが、「The Iroquois Nation」と言えます。

関連するQ&A

• 英文の和訳をお願いします。

A blind date is a date for two people who have never met before. Their mutual friends usually arrange the match. With the rise of the Internet, blind dates are becoming more common than before. Through instant messaging and Internet chat forums, people have a chance to meet people. Blind dating is exciting for some people, but it can be a stressful emotional experience for others. This may be mainly due to a lack of self-confidence and the inevitable fear of meeting an unknown. In the United States, people often talk about the experience of their friends. Some people like to gossip a lot. People who like to gossip often talk about individuals they may not know and that can be hurtful, especially if rumors and gossip continue to be shared. This conversation is between two friends about another friend. In this case, the two friends, Amy and Lisa, having the conversation want the information to remain confidential in order to protect this mutual friend, Toshi. At the end of this conversation, the two friends agree to keep their information confidential. "I've got your back" is a phrase used as reassurance between friends. the phrase is used to show confidentiality, solidarity and trust.

• 英語の訳をお願いします!!

I think the Latinos stay longer for three reasons. First, they are used to eating their breakfast , lunch, and dinner later in the day than Americans eat theirs.Roughly speaking , they eat each meal one or two hours later than American people. Second they are used to taking more time at each meal, eating slowly and leisure ly. They would rather relax and talk to their friends during a meal than rush off to study or work.Maybe this is not true everywhere, but I think it is true here at Boston University.

• 比較(used to V)の構文

ある問題集での比較の構文がわかりません。 Yoshi is better off than she used to be. Yoshi does better than she used to. この二つの違いがよくわかりません。下の文ではbeを書いてはいけないと書いていましたが、なぜなのかが書いてありません。 よろしくお願いします。

• この英作文で文法ミスなど校訂してくれる人いますか?

現在独学で英語を学んでいます。そこで今回自分でアメリカと日本の文化の違いやどのようにして、文化の違いを克服するかをエッセーにしてみました。特にどこかに見せる訳ではないのですが、塾などに行くお金がないのでだれにも文法ミスなどチェックしてもらう人はいません。そこでよろしければ校訂していただけないでしょうか?? The first thing that I learned from my experience in the United State is accepting different culture. There are a lot of different culture between in the United State and Japan. It is extremely important for me to overcome a cultural difference, but I need to take pride in Japanese culture too. For example, American is individualism, but Japanese is collectivism. American people do not hesitate eating out alone at restaurant; however, Japanese do because they do not want to eat under someone's lonely eyes. Surprisingly, some Japanese students eat a lunch inside of restroom stall because they want to make sure nobody finds out. They do not want to give a mistaken impression of not having any friends at school. However, American usually does not care about what other people think about you. Also, there are a lot of people who eat alone at dining room of Santa Rosa Junior College. Now I do not care about eating alone at all. The second different cultural experience is social system. It is very common in Japan that you supposed to pay respect and be polite to whoever is older than you. However, American is not strict to be polite. For instance, when I talk with my instructor, I always try to be formal. If I meet my instructor in outside of the class, I bow to the instructor first and talk him or her formally. However, in the United State, students call the instructors by their first name like a friend. One day, I was walking with my classmate on campus, and we met our instructor. I was going to bow to him, but the instructor waved his hand to us and my classmate also did it to the instructor. I was surprised at what my classmate did to him because it is a kind of rude to wave hand to our instructor in Japan. In my opinion, this American culture is a good because Japanese social system is sometimes extremely annoying. I always have to pay respect to whoever they are older than me. In japan, older people are absolute. You have to pay respect to older people even a year older than you. Therefore, you cannot against your supervisor. Even if your supervisor is less ability than you, you have to respect and talk formally to him or her. However, in the united state, you can be in a high position instead of older coworkers because people make a valuation according to your ability.

• 和訳をよろしくお願いします

An expatriate (often shortened to expat) is a person temporarily or permanently residing in a country other than their native country. In common usage, the term often refers to professionals, skilled workers, or artists taking positions outside their home country, either independently or sent abroad by their employers, who can be companies, universities, governments, or non-governmental organisations. Effectively migrant workers, they usually earn more than they would at home, and more than local employees. However, the term 'expatriate' is also used for retirees and others who have chosen to live outside their native country. Historically, it has also referred to exiles. 本記事はこちらをご覧ください。 https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expatriate

• この英文の訳をお願いいたします。 長いです。

Every society makes laws to protect its way of life. By looking at a country's laws, we can learn something about the culture of that society. We can also understand what is important to its people. Sometimes these laws may surprise outsiders. In Switzerland,for example,you can't hang out laundry on Sundays. It is also against the law to use a power lawn mower on Sundays because it is too noisy. These laws tell us that Sunday are very important to the Swiss. これをお願いいたします。 あとit'sとitsの違いは何なのでしょうか。 よければお願いいたします。

• Japan is, after all, a co

Japan is, after all, a country used to low crime levels where many drivers still leave keys in their cars when they park. (何と言っても日本は低い犯罪水準に慣れている国であり,そこでは多くのドライバーが今でも駐車の際にキーを車につけたままにしている) この英文なんですが、used to は和訳から考えるとbe used to (慣れている)だと、分かるのですが、この文の最初のisはa countryに掛かっているので、be used to の形だとは言えないんじゃないかと思いましたが、これはどう説明がつきますか? Be used to の形にするには ~ a country that is used to ~ のように関係詞を使わないとダメな気がします。 どなたか、解説をよろしくお願いします。

• 英語問題

お願いします! Aに関しては翻訳も A 入る語を下から選び適切な形に 1The countryside has () vegetables  than cities. 2Which are more (),cities or country  areas? 3The countryside is () than the city. 4You may not have as( )information  in the country as in the city. [ crowded fresh much quiet ] B並べ替え 1都会の生活の方が田舎よりやることがたくさんあるので好き I like life in the city because there are (things/more/to do) than in the country. 2日常生活は田舎よりも都会の方が生活のペースが速い Everyday life is(than/faster/in the city/in the country). 3田舎の生活は都会の生活と同じくらいよいと考える人達もいる Some people think that (as/as/country life/good/is)city life.

• 和訳お願いしますo(^-^)o

You wonder, "what do all these people find to talk about that's so important?" His jaw is set hard.

• 以下の文、解説お願いします。

Despite all the warnings, people continue to consume junk food more than ever. As a result, while models and actors get thinner and, ironically, more is known about nutrition than before, America is getting fatter. 訳はわかります。 2つ目のセンテンスでmore is known aboutの部分を教えてください。 よろしくお願いします。