• ベストアンサー

A GO-BETWEEN ?

NHKラジオ英会話講座より。 SOME PEOPLE THINK OF ARRRANGED MARRIAGES AS BEING OLD-FASHIONED. BUT IN FACT,THAT DOESN'T SEEM TO BE THE CASE. SOME OF MY FRIENDS MARRIED THROUGH A GO-BETWEEN. お見合い結婚は古くさいと思っている人がいる。しかし、実は、そうではないみたいだよ。僕の友達の何人かはお見合い結婚だからね。 質問:A GO-BETWEEN がARRANGED MARRIAGESのことを言っているのはわかるのですが、使用法が解りません?直訳するとどうなりますか?A GO-BETWEENを使って他の例文が出来ませんか?同じような熟語があれば2,3お願いいたします? 何とか使えるようになりたいのでお願いいたします。以上

• 英語
  • 回答数3
  • ありがとう数8

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
noname#114795
noname#114795
回答No.3

A GO-BETWEEN がARRANGED MARRIAGESのことを言っているのではありません.A GO-BETWEEN はこの場合,仲人という人間ですから.その意味で辞書にも載っています.取り次ぐために両者の間を行ったり来たりのニュアンスですね.A negotiator who acts as a link between parties.One who acts as an intermediary or messenger between two sides. THROUGH A GO-BETWEEN の THROUGH は媒介・手段の意味で,「(人)によって」,「(人)のおかげで」という意味です. eg) He obtained a job through his friend. .

tommy0313
質問者

お礼

ご回答有難うございました。電子辞書には記載ざれていず、別の辞書で見つけました。良く理解できました。有難うございました。今後とも宜しくお願いたします。まづは御礼まで。

その他の回答 (2)

• bluespace
  • ベストアンサー率27% (15/54)
回答No.2

1 原文は-(ハイフン)が付いています。更に冠詞のaもあります。従って、go-between は、仲介者、男女の取り持ち、仲人という名詞です。そして一般に仲人は1人の場合が多いので、自然に a go-between となります。 2 動詞としての go between は、・・の中に入る、仲裁・仲介・媒介する という意味になります。 3 ですから、arranged marriage ≠ a go-between です。 4 Mr.& Mrs.Koizumi are our go-betweens.

tommy0313
質問者

お礼

ご回答有難うございました。電子辞書には記載ざれていず、別の辞書で見つけました。良く理解できました。有難うございました。今後とも宜しくお願いたします。まづは御礼まで。

回答No.1

go between ~で「~を仲裁[媒介]する」という意味です。  そして,go-between で,「仲介人」とか,「仲人」のような意味になります。  marry through a go-between で,「仲人を介して結婚する」という意味になっています。  このように,a go-between だけで,arranged marriage の意味になるわけではありません。

参考URL:
http://dictionary.goo.ne.jp/search.php?MT=go&ej.x=45&ej.y=13&kind=je&mode=1
tommy0313
質問者

お礼

関連するQ&A

• go in a line の意味を教えてください

先日の New York Times の記事"More Than Just Words" という記事の最後の部分で、"go in a line" という連語が出てきて上手く訳せませんでした。全体の要約としては、「『読む』という概念が変わってきていて、伝統的な方法(新聞、活字、書籍を読む)では読者は満足せず、現代はインターネットを通して、データや原稿をシェアしたり、読むことを通して交流できるような方法(TWITTERのような)が人気を集めている。『読む』とは何か、がいま改めて問われている」といった内容だと思います。 その最後の結末の部分が下です。 Rand J Spiro, a professor pf educational psychology at Michigan State University, told Ms. Rich that young people "aren't as troubled as some of us older folks are by reading that doesn't go in a line. That's a good thing, becuase the world doesn't go in a line, and the world isn't organized into separate compartments or chapters." "go in a line" はここで初めて出てきた連語です。 "read between the lines" のようにとらえていいのでしょうか。 「若者は、go in a lineのような文を読んでも、年配者ほど困らない。それは良いことだ、なぜなら世界はgo in a lineしないし、世界は分離された要素や区切りによって構成されているわけではないのだから」?? 直訳的になってしまいましたが、どうしてもうまく訳せませんでした。 ヒントになるような発想でもかまいませんので、ご意見いただけると幸いです。 よろしくお願いします!

• THAT DOESN'T SEEM POSSIBLE IF I CAN'T SEE!

以下のような会話文なのですが、 A; GO BUY ME SOME MORE CONTACTS. B; PLEASE GO BUY THEM YOURSELF. A; THAT DOESN'T SEEM POSSIBLE IF I CAN'T SEE! ここで "『THAT』 DOESN'T SEEM POSSIBLE IF I CAN'T SEE!" の意味がよくわかりません。日本語訳は「あれがないと何も見えないの知っているでしょう。」となっていました。『THAT』は『コンタクトレンズを買うこと』なのでしょうか?お手数ですがよろしくお願いします。

• 英語の和訳です。お願いします!!

In many part of South Asia, arranged ,arranged marriages have been modernized to suit the needs of a changing Westernized generation. When I asked him why, one young Indian-American man said, "My parents are the two people in the world who know me best, both my strength and my weaknesses. Why wouldn't I want their input in the most important decision of my life?" After a moment, he added, "The alternative doesn't seem to work that well, does it?"  He had a point. There are fewer divorces in arranged marriages, although I wonder if he realized that many complicated social factors- from the presence of extensive family support and counseling to the ostracism a divorced woman would encounter - account for this.

• ofの使い方の確認をお願いします

the news of his death は マルですよね? the news of he got married は当然バツですよね? a question of why he got married to her は、マルですよね? the fact of him being married もマルですよね? 最後に、of以下は文は置けないけど、 間接疑問文を含む文ならおけると言うことになるのでしょうか?

• 国際結婚の割合について英訳したいのですが

「現在、日本人で外国人と結婚したカップルの割合は1/20」であるを英訳したかったのですが、全く思いつきませんでした。 These days, the ratio of the international wedding couples from that Japanese get married with foreign person is one twentieth. 国際結婚したカップルは、couples from international marriagesとかinternational married couplesでしょうか? 申し訳ございませんが教えて頂けないでしょうか?

• 英語の和訳です。お願いします!!

Paradoxically, it is the first factor - marring someone you do not love yet (but are attracted to ) that leads to the second one. In arranged marriages, the wedding is seen not as the concluding point, but only the beginning of a relationship that is marked more by hope than by expectation. Where couples in a "romantic" marriage might find the reality of everyday life a comedown after the excitement of the courtship period, the courtship dance in arranged marriages begins only after the wedding ceremony. As many South Asians with experience in this matter will enthusiastically tell you, this leads to the couple falling in love.    Are all arranged marriages successful? No more than all romantic marriages are. But, ultimately, what makes a marriage work is not how it began but what makes a marriage work is not how it began but what you do with it. Mutual respect, realistic expectations and a willingness to compromise may, in the long run, be more important than all the undying promises made in moments of passion. Marriage is a long race; it is learning the other's gait as you go. What matters is whether you are able to find a common rhythm.

• that's coming from a person って?

アメリカ人と話していて、わさび嫌いな日本人の話題になりました。 日本人いわく 「寿司にわさびが入ると味が落ちる。 寿司にわさびが入っている意味がわからない」 するとアメリカ人が it changes the taste of the sushi sushi is okay and that's coming from a person who doesn't like fish わからない、というと、 the fact that i think sushi is okay is coming from a person who doesn't like seafood (me) it's coming from me, a person who doesn't like seafood it's uncharacteristic of me that's coming from a person のところあたりがわからないので どなたか教えてくださいませんか?

• よろしくお願いします

I’ve been living with a roommate (someone I knew only through other friends) for about six months now and I’ve been noticing that from time to time, some of my food seems to go missing. It’s not a lot, just enough for me to notice. A cup of cereal here or there, some milk, handfuls of pretzels or chips, a couple of slices of bread, an occasional piece of fruit. I just seem to go through food faster than I used to when I lived alone. go through foodはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• 英語の穴埋め問題

下の語句を使って、穴埋めをしなさい という問題です。よろしくお願いします。 bread / butter / fingers / loaf / meat / sandwich / slice / slices `I want to make some sandwiches` `Well, go and buy a (1) of  (2).  Cut in into (3).  Put some (4) on oneside of each (5). Then cut some (6) up, and put some of it between each two (7) of  the (8).` `Do I put the sides with (9) on them inside or outside?` `Don't be stupid! Inside, of course, or your (10) will be covered with (11) when you pick a(12)up !` 以上です。

• drunk in a tavern の解釈について

添付ファイル文章: For I know as a fact that Mitya only last week, when he was with some gypsy girls drunk in a tavern, cried out aloud that he was unworthy of his betrothed, Katya,… の部分に関する質問です。 drunk in a tavernは some gypsy girlsを修飾していると考えるべきか、 being drunk の分詞構文と捉えるべきか分からないです。 文脈に依存しなければ、前者の some gypsy girlsを修飾していると捉えるのが普通で、もし、 some gypsy girls とdrunk in a tavernの間に カンマがあれば分詞構文と、捉えるのが自然な読み方と捉えて良いのか分からないです。 解説宜しくお願いします。