Eisenglass curtainsとは?

このQ&Aのポイント
  • 「Eisenglass curtains」は、1943年初演のミュージカル「オクラホマ」に登場するアイテムです。
  • アイゼングラスのカーテンは、アンティークのストーブや船舶のガラスに関係があります。
  • アイゼングラスカーテンは、天候の変化に対応できるカーテンであり、ミュージカルの中では華やかな演出を表現しています。
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

Eisenglass curtains とは いったい いかなるものか?

1943年初演のミュージカル「オクラホマ」の曲(邦名 飾りのついた4輪馬車)なんですが、その歌詞に出てくるアイゼングラスのカーテンとはいったいどういうものなのかわかりません。 ネットで調べたところ、アンティークのストーブもしくは船舶のガラスに関係があるみたいなんですが、よくわかりません。どちらかご存知の方ご教授を! 以下に歌詞(前半)をのせておきます SURREY WITH THE FRINGE ON TOP Chicks and ducks and geese better scurry When I take you out in the surrey With the fringe on top Watch that fringe And see how it flutters When I drive Them high-stepping strutters Nosey-pokes’ ll peek through the shutters And their eyes will pop The wheels are yellow The upholstery’s brown The dash-board’s genuine leather With Eisenglass curtains You can roll right down In case there’s a change in the weather Two bright side-lights Winking and blinking Ain’t no finer rig I’m a-thinking You can keep your rig if you’re thinking That I care to swop For that shiny little surrey With the fringe on the top I can feel the night getting blurry As we drive back home in the surrey Driving slowly home In the surrey with the fringe on top

• 英語
  • 回答数2
  • ありがとう数2

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • bender
  • ベストアンサー率45% (108/236)
回答No.1

付記の参考URLによると(サイト内で eisenglass を探すと関連する記述が2箇所ほど見つかります)、eisenglass はどうやらヨットなどで使われる透明なプラスチック、ビニルのシートのことで、isinglass という語と深い関係があるようです。 Google Image Search で "isinglass" あるいは("eisenglass cruise curtain"という語の用法があるので)"cruise curtain"を検索した結果をみると、"Eisenglass Curtain" はどうやら、ビニル製の窓をさすように見受けられます。 eisenglass curtain は、古い車(Ford T)などにも使われているようなので、馬車にも使われていたのではないかと私は考えました。 以上、関心を持ったので調べてみたのですが、参考になれば幸いです。

参考URL:
http://www.boatered.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=58828񥆖
simoheigun
質問者

お礼

benderさん回答ありがとうございます 「ビニル製の窓」ということでなんとなく納得しました。きっと当時は窓といえばガラスでビニル製だとハイカラな感じだったんだろう、ということと、もし馬車が転覆した時の安全を考えてのことだったろうと想像しています またカーテンということから遮光するもの(布製)という先入感があって、誤解していましたが、ロールダウンできるビニル製の窓そのものをカーテンと表現していることだろうと思います もう使われなくなった物、しかも英語の表現となるとまいってしまいますが、ますますジャズボーカルの世界にのめりこみそうです

その他の回答 (1)

• bender
  • ベストアンサー率45% (108/236)
回答No.2

先日回答させていただいたのですが、私の回答に誤りがあったので、締め切り後ではあるのですが、訂正させていただく再び投稿させていただきました。 Eisenglass Curtain についてアメリカ人の方に質問する機会を得たのですが、ミュージカル「オクラホマ」、またその曲についてもよくご存知の方で親切に説明してくださいました。 私がその方の説明を理解したところによると、"Eisenglass (curtain)" というのは、本来、雲母(Mica)でできた透明な膜状のものであり、馬車の窓のほかでは、質問された方がご指摘されているように、ストーブののぞき窓の部分にも利用されていたようです。Google Image Search で「mica stove」をキーワードに検索すると、ストーブ用のものと思うのですが、それと思われる透明なシートの写真が見つかります(参考URL)。 私は雲母というものはある程度硬いものと思っていたのですが、「回答に対するお礼」に書かれているように、"Eisenglass curtain"というものはロールアップ、ダウンできるようなものであるようです。 現在ボートで利用されているビニル製の透明なシートに関しては、おそらく現代版の Eisenglass ということではないでしょうか。 不正確な内容を投稿してしまい、失礼しました。

参考URL:
http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&lr=&q=mica+stove&btnG=Search
simoheigun
質問者

お礼

アメリカ人に直接聞いていただいたとのこと、恐縮です。長い間気になっていた疑問が氷解いたしました。雲母でしたか。。、透明度はあまりよくありませんが、確かに手で簡単に曲げられますし、馬車が横転しても怪我しませんね。 Micaストーブの画像見ました。ストーブの「窓」でしたか、いやあ、わかりませんせした。電球の傘にも使われているんですねえ。 そういえば、かつて日本のストーブの窓にも付いていましたっけ(たしたアラジン石油ストーブ) 手で押すとふにゃふにゃしてたのを覚えています。 なるほどなるほど、単語ひとつとっても奥深いものがあるものですね。ご教授ありがとうございました。

関連するQ&A

• top of the world和訳で

1) There is wonder in most everything I see   ここで使われてるin mostって何ですか?   Got the sun in my eyes   And I won't be surprised if it's a dream 2)Everything I want the world to be   ここで使われてるto beって何ですか?   Is now coming true especially for me      3)I'm on the top of the world lookin' down on creation   And the only explanation I can find   Is the love that I've found ever since you've been around   Your love's put me at the top of the world     on the top of the worldが何でlookin' down on creationの前に来てるの?    on the top of the worldって副詞句だから後ろに持ってこなくていいの?   I'mから直訳で教えて下さい 4)There is only one wish on my mind   When this day is through I hope that I will find   That tomorrow will be just the same for you and me   All I need will be mine if you are here     I hope以降どう訳していけばいいのか直訳で教えて下さい。    I'm on the top of the world lookin' down on creation   And the only explanation I can find   Is the love that I've found ever since you've been around   Your love's put me at the top of the world   ここで使われてるeverは、かつてって言う意味?I can findからここも詳しく直訳で  教えて下さい。 *よくこの歌詞でfindって単語使われてるけど、見つけるって言う意味でいいの?

• 和訳お願いします

But I know I’ll never let you go Tell me why I can’t stop thinking about you The way you turn me on, and on…… この英文の意味がわかりません わかる方がいれば和訳よろしくお願いします>_<

• 和訳をお願いします。

どうかよろしくお願いします。 Whats that for?I can send you photos of the exact pair i'm offering for sale and which can be delivered to your location in Japan,provided i get hold of your address and when we must have concluded a deal and moreover its price remains the same. The idea of putting your name is not an issue but i certainly will not do that unless you must have made a reservation on the animals and not before,so please that's not possible! If seriously interested in the pair,then we can proceed with a deal,you can make a reservation and send me your complete address when the animals arrive your location in Japan,you will then be required to make the remaining payment and once more,life arrival of your animals is 100% guaranteed. それぞれ別なメールなのですがこちらも翻訳していただけると嬉しいです。 send me mobile number and swiss air call you CONFIRM I'M CHECKING WITH THE BREEDER TO SEE IF 2 PAIRS ARE AVAILABLE FOR U.. それではどうかよろしくお願いします。

• すみませんが英語を教えて下さい

すみませんが英語を教えて下さい 適切な前置詞を選ぶ問題です (1) I’m thinking (of) an enormous chocolate cake with dollops of icecream on top. (2)I’m thinking (about) investing in the stock market. (3) I am thinking ( ) you on this special day. (1)と(2)は分るのですが、(3)は ofと about どちらを選んだらいいのか分りません よろしく御願いします

• どなたか翻訳していただけないでしょうか

I missed on you . and I waited for you . To miss and wait is same ? For me is not present . When you wait , you do not wake up in five mornings, refusing the best dreams . Milk does not lose the taste . And when you miss ? yes "When day has ended , forget about everything that occurred . Never take with itself past luggage in new day .

• 英語得意な方翻訳お願いいたします。

英語得意な方翻訳お願いいたします。 job interviewの内容です。 It seems to me that your products and services are aligned with what I think I can deliver and from what I could see on your website you have been around in the market for quite and while and I would be very interested in starting out of my career with an established company that can also provide me with the opportunities I need to progress in the future and reach my goals

• OWLCITY 和訳を知りたいです。

どなたかcaptains and cruise ships の和訳がわかる方はいらっしゃいませんでしょうか。 英語辞典では心もとないのでお願いいたします。 I am stuck in L.A through the week, and can’t get away And you’re alone on the pier in West Palm Beach on your holiday Stormy nights re-awake the stomachache that I’ve acquired From feeling down, things look grim and I’m so sick, of being tired Apartment lights go dark, and it’s depressing but what can I do? Midnight streets feel dead, when I am so used to driving with you Brighter lights fill the nights and bluer skies reflect in your eyes As I inspect and analyze all these dreams I don’t recognize If you’re still up when the ships in the port, prepare to set sail Comb the beach and put those blue flowers up in your ponytail Inside my head your voice is still resounding but what can I do? The empty rooms feel cold when I am so used to being with you Count the stars, watch the waves, absorb the summer sun and think of me When you explore hidden coves and tiny island chains throughout the sea Can you still hear my voice when I’m outside from over the phone? For what its worth darling dear, I wish you were here ‘cause I feel alone When you were home, wed sing but since you’ve left I don’t hear anything And though I feel so sad I can’t believe things are really that bad Old captains and brand new cruise ships Sailing over the briny sea When I crash my beloved desk job And swim through the debris I’ll cut loose and leave this madhouse Bound for the Atlantic blue I’ll stroll down your tree-lined driveway And sail the ocean with you

• この英語をカタカナに直してください!

たくさんあってすみません。下に書いてある英語の文を誰かカタカナに直してください!お願いします! If you wanna go and take a ride wit me wit three women in the fo' with the gold D's Oh why do I live this way? If you wanna go and get high wit me Smoke a L in the back of the Benz-y Oh why must I feel this way? In the club on the late night, feelin right Lookin tryin to spot somethin real nice Lookin for a little shorty I noticed so that I can take home (I can take home) She can be 18 (18) wit an attitude or 19 kinda snotty actin real rude But as long as you a thicky thicky thick girl you know that it's on (Know that it's on) I peep something comin towards me on the dance floor Sexy and real slow Sayin she was peepin and I dig the last video So when Nelly, can we go; how could I tell her no? Her measurements were 36-25-34 I like the way you brush your hair And I like those stylish clothes you wear I like the way the light hit the ice and glare And I can see you boo from way over there

• 和訳お願いいたします。

s I'm writing this email right now ... you must still be sleeping. When I think of you ... how cute you look when you sleep ... I get such and empty feeling inside, because I want to be with you so much. That's why I just like to be with you. As you said, it doesn't really matter what we do as long as I'm with you. There is one thing I'm dreaming of ... that we don't have to do anything! That we have 1 day that we don't need to do anything. Sleep and lay in bed as long as we like, laze around, watch a movie together, ... …And I will leave for Osaka Wednesday the 5th of January early in the morning and I'm planning on coming back to Tokyo Friday the 7th in the evening. And Monday the 10th I will go back to Osaka and return to Tokyo on Friday the 14th in the evening. A

• 教えてください。お願いします。

以下の2文ってどう訳せばいいんですか?教えてください。お願いします。 (1)The Yankees more or less owed their victories in the 1977 and 1978 World Series to their devastating defeat in 1976. (2)Surrounding yourself with great people is important, but it is only yourself that you can rely on when you are in a crisis.