• 喜ばしたい人々の性格、これから得ようとする所有物、そのような目的のための戦術について考えなさい。
  • 時がそのような物事をどれほど早く消しうるか。
  • どれほど多くの物事が今にも拭い去られるだろう。

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • Nakay702
  • ベストアンサー率80% (9740/12121)
回答No.2

以下のとおりお答えします。 >Think on the character of the people one wishes to please, the possessions one means to gain, and the tactics one employ to such ends. How quickly time erases such things, and how many will yet be wiped away. >Think on the character of the people one wishes to please, the possessions one means to gain, and the tactics one employ to such ends.の文章を筆者はどんな意味合いで書いているのかわからないです。 ⇒「喜ばせたい人々の人柄、策を凝らして獲得する財物、そしてそういう目的のために採用する戦術について考えてみてください。」という感じで、いわば、啓発・警告のための導入句のような感じですね。 >How quickly time erases such things, and how many will yet be wiped away. >1. such thingsとはなんなのか分からないです。 ⇒「自分の利得に結びつくような目的のための策略・戦術の類」と言えるでしょう。 >2. どういったもののmany なのか良く分からないです。 ⇒「安直な利害や損得計算から出てくるような振る舞い・所業(の多くが)」というようなニュアンスではないでしょうか。 >3. yetを「今にも」と理解しているのですが、この解釈が合っているのか分からないです。 ⇒はい、「今にも」でも「いち早く」でも「束の間に」でもいいと思います。 通して見ると、原文と訳文はこんな感じになると思います。 Those obsessed with glory attach their well-being to the regard of others, those who love pleasure tie it to feelings, but the one with true understanding seeks it only in their own actions …. Think on the character of the people one wishes to please, the possessions one means to gain, and the tactics one employ to such ends. How quickly time erases such things, and how many will yet be wiped away. 「栄光に取りつかれた人は自分の健全な幸福を他人からの尊敬に結びつけ、喜びを愛する人はそれを情感に結びつけますが、真の理解力を持つ者は自分の行動にのみそれを求めます…。喜ばせたい人々の人柄、策を凝らして獲得する財物、そしてそういう目的のために採用する戦術について考えてみてください。時間によって、そのようなものがいかに早く消し去られ、そしていかに多くのものが瞬く間に一掃してしまうことでしょう。」

noname#252302
質問者

お礼

たいへん分かりやすく教えてくださりありがとうございました。具体的に考えられる意味を示して下さったため理解することができました。 わたしの質問にご回答くださりありがとうございます。

全文を見る
すると、全ての回答が全文表示されます。

その他の回答 (1)

• cincinnati
  • ベストアンサー率46% (606/1293)
回答No.1

難しい哲学的な記述を含む文章で、誤解もあると思いますので、ご了承ください。 「あなたが喜ばせようと願っているその対象となる人の性質や、あなたが入手を意図しているその物や、またあなたがそに果実を利用しようとするその作戦を念頭において考えなさい。時間はなんと急速にそのようなものを消し去り、またなんと多くの意志が常にかき消さられることでしょう。」 Oneをある人と訳すとわかりにくいので、立場を変えてあなたと訳してみました。またこの文章の前の説明によれば状況はつかめませんが、他人との比較や快楽を求めるということではなく、ご自分の行いを通して知りうるのだという趣旨のことが書かれています。また疑問文の中のYetはしばしばalreadyと同じ意味で用いられます。

noname#252302
質問者

お礼

解説してくださりありがとうございます。 この文章をより良く理解することができました。 たくさんわたしの質問にご回答してくださりありがとうございます。

全文を見る
すると、全ての回答が全文表示されます。

関連するQ&A

• 英文解釈について

以下の英文解釈について文法的解釈も含め教えて下さい。 the townhouse, which is 以下がわかりません。 I didn’t even get into the issue of how many vehicle-miles that single-family home requires compared to the townhouse, which is naturally closer to things and denser and therefore transit-supported. よろしくお願いします。

• 文章解釈

以下の[ ]内の文章に関する質問です。 “shove *it in their faces” と “the wear and tear it* put on the engine”の 理解が難しいです。 [Many successful people will try to tell you that anger is a powerful fuel in their lives.The desire to "prove them all wrong"or "shove *it in their faces"has made many a millionaire. But that's shortsighted. Such stories ignore the pollution produced as a side effect and the wear and tear *it put on the engine.] 1. The desire to "prove them all wrong"or "shove *it in their faces"has made many a millionaire. 「彼ら、全員が間違っていることを証明しようとする欲求や、彼らの目の前で、それ? を押し付けようとする欲求が多くの者たちを億万長者にしている。」 itはこの場合どのように理解すれば良いのか分からないです。 it は怒りを意味して、「怒りを彼等に振りかざす」のように理解すれば良いのか自信がないです。解説宜しくお願いします。 2. Such stories ignore the pollution produced as a side effect and the wear and tear *it put on the engine. the wear and tear *it put on the engine. の部分を関係節がないものとして表現すれば It put the wear and tear on the engine.となって 「怒りが消耗をエンジンに置く。」→ 「怒りが(エネルギー)の原動力に負担をかけた」 となり、比喩的に「怒りが私たちの身体に残した傷や負担」を表現しているという理解であっているのか分からないです。 解説宜しくお願いします。

• 文章解釈

以下の添付ファイル文章に関する質問です。 That no matter how many years you're ultimately given your life can be clearly and earnestly said to have been a long and full one.We all know someone like that-someone we lost too early but even now think,If I could do half of what they did,I'll consider my life well lived. 1. no matter how many years you're ultimately given your life can be clearly and earnestly said to have been a long and full one. の言おうとしているポイントが理解できないです。clearly and earnestly の理解がその中でも特に難しく感じます。 2. If I could do half of what they did,I'll consider my life well lived なぜ、「彼/彼女のしたこと半分できればいい人生を生きれた」とみなせるのか分からないです。 解説宜しくお願いします。 「人が結局、どれだけの年数の命を与えられても、その人の人生は長く充実した人生であったと明瞭かつ誠実に言われうる。 わたしたちは皆そのような誰かを知っています。あまりにも早くに無くしてしまい、今でも彼/彼女がしたことの半分を成すことができれば自分の人生がいい人生だとみなすことができる誰か。」

• 英語の和訳なのですが、、、

Have you ever stopped to wonder about things, especially something new? Most people are blessed with the gift of curiosity. We like to discuss our views of how such-and-such works or how such-and-such happend. という文なのですが ラストの一文,We like ~のところがうまく訳せないので 教えていただきたいです。お願いします。

• appear の解釈

添付ファイル文章 for if I, that is, the biographer himself, think that even one novel may, perhaps, be unwarranted for such a humble and indefinite hero, then how will it look if I appear with two; and what can explain such presumption on my part? に関する質問です。 I appear with twoは「伝記作家が2冊の小説を持って現れたら」という理解で合っているのか自信が無いです。解説宜しくお願いします。

• 和訳をお願いいたします

以下の英文を和訳していただけるかたのみで。 お願いできますでしょうか? 1段落の後半部分となりますので、中途半端だと思いますが、 どうぞよろしくお願いいたします。 He is a financially competent person. One who will have many ideas about how you can earn more money and acquire possessions and improve your mutual wealth. One who should be able to help support or provide for you. You’ll gain nice possessions and things of value. Both of you will dream of wealth, security, and status. I think money will come to you both, you’ll both benefit financially and materially from the marriage, but too much emphasis will be placed on financial matters after the marriage. Spiritual and creative things are just as important, for these feed the soul of a relationship, while wealth sustains the worldly and material side of a relationship

• 英文解釈について

Many times a day I realize how much my own outer and inner life is built upon the labours of my fellow-men , both living and dead , and how earnestly I must exert myself in order to give in return as much as I have received . 英文解釈です。 文法的に詳しくお願いします。 私的には Many times a day 以下がよくわかりません。 よろしくお願いします。

• 文章解釈

以下の文章に関する質問です。 Many of the things that upset us, the Stoics believed, are a product of the imagination, not reality. Like dreams, they are vivid and realistic at the time but preposterous once we come out of it. In a dream, we never stop to think and say: “Does this make any sense?” No, we go along with it. The same goes with our flights of anger or fear or other extreme emotions. 1. Like dreams, they are vivid and realistic at the time but preposterous once we come out of it. の部分は、 「夢のように私たちを動揺させる物事は、その時は、鮮やかで現実であるが、夢から抜け出すとたんに馬鹿げたものとなる。」 と解釈して合っているのか分からないです。 2. In a dream, we never stop to think and say: “Does this make any sense?” No, we go along with it. の部分は、 「夢の中で、私たちは、決して考えることをやめず、いう。:これはありえるか?  いいえ、わたし達は、夢に従う?」 3. ここでのflights がどのように使われているのかわからないです。 解説宜しくお願いします。

• 文章解釈

以下の文章に関する質問です。 In this case, the truth is one we know well: the little things add up. Someone is a good person not because they say they are, but because they take good actions. One does not magically get one's act together- it is a matter of many individual choices. It's a matter of getting up at the right time, making your bed, resisting shortcuts, investing in yourself, doing your work. And make no mistake: while the individual action is small, its cumulative impact is not. 1. they say they are の最初の they は「巷のみんなが」という意味で、2つ目のthey は someoneを受けているという解釈で合っているか少し自信がないです。 解釈が合っているか教えてください。 2. One does not magically get one's act togetherをどのように解釈すれば良いのか分からないです。 「人は魔法のようにいきなり能力を十二分に発揮したりしません。」 get one's act togetherのニュアンスの解釈に困ってます。どう文章を解釈すれば良いのか解説宜しくお願いします。 3. make no mistakeの解釈に困ってます。 「ハッキリ言っておきます。」のように解釈すれば良いのでしょうか? 解釈の仕方を教えてください。

• 無生物主語について

No other living thing on earth has accomplished more than human beings. We have created many useful things such as airplanes, trains, computers, cell phones, medicines, and pesticides. as well as institutions such as schools, universities, hospitals, and banks. Without them, the modern world would not exist. These things let us travel far and wide, gather information quickly, educate ourselves, and treat diseases. 今使っている教科書の英文の一部なのですが These things let us travel far and wide, gather information quickly, educate ourselves, and treat diseases. この英文は無生物主語の英文ですか?