• ベストアンサー

文法に関する質問

Track and field results may have slid backward because the doping was widespread for longer in the sport for longer than it was in swimming. 上記英文で for longer  が2度用いられていますが、後半は不要に思えますが? 何故必要ですか?

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • esistdas
  • ベストアンサー率33% (104/306)
回答No.1

New York Times掲載の文章ですね。 さて、"...because the doping was widespread for longer in the sport for longer than it was in swimming."の文で、for longerは「わざと」重ねて用いられてると、好意的に解釈することもできます。 トラック競技や陸上競技と、水泳とをより明確な形で対照しているわけですね。必要・不要というよりは、修辞の問題でしょう。おそらく。

goof
質問者

お礼

ありがとう御座いました。参考になりました。 ただ、この辺のところは私の理解の限界を超えていますが。

全文を見る
すると、全ての回答が全文表示されます。

関連するQ&A

• 中学英文法

(1) As she was very tired,she decided not to go swimming. He stayed home all day because it was reinning. Asとbecauseは理由をあらわしますが、(~なので、~だから) 使い分けがあるのでしょうか? それとも全く同じと考えていいのでしょうか? (2)Althoughとthoughの使い分け 両方とも訳は(~けれども)と書いてあるので(1)のように悩んでいます。 (3)琵琶湖はすべての日本の湖の中で一番大きい。 Lake Biwa is bigger than all lakes of Japan. Lake Biwa is bigger than lakes in Japan "すべての日本の湖" この部分の英語がわかりません。  どなたか詳しい方よろしくお願いします。

• 英文法の問題4問教えて頂けますか?

(    )に入る英文を教えてください。 1 Though he was an old man, he worked in his field every day. ( )( ) ( ) he was, he worked in his field every day. 2 He was arrested because he had not paid his taxes for ten years. He was arrested for ( )( ) paid his taxes for ten years. 3 I hope that you will find a good job soon. ( ), you will find a good job soon. 4 昨日新宿で誰に会ったと思いますか。とても驚いたことに、去年ニューヨークで知り合った女の子で した。(英語にして頂けますか?2文目はしてみたのですが、添削してもらえますか?)     To my surpise, she was a girl whom I met in NY last year. 以上です。よろしくお願いいたします。

• 文法に関する質問

A spurt in job growth between March and May raised hopes that employment would emerge from the doldrums. But job growth slowed sharply again in June and came to a virtual standstill last month. In July, businesses added a mere 32,000 jobs, and for the first time this year more businesses let workers go than hired new ones. 最後のところは more businesses let workers go than those who hired new ones. となるべきと思いますが?どうなんでしょう?

• 次の英訳の間違いを文法的に解説して下さい。

次のそれぞれの英訳の間違いを、文法的に解説して下さい。 <和文> ある健康法を試したからといって、10年長く生きられる可能性は低いと私は思っている。私には、士を先延ばしにすることよりも、幸せな死に方をすることの方が大切なのである。 <英訳> (1) I don't think it is likely to alive ten years longer because you have tried the method of becoming health. I prefer to die happily than to extend my death. (2) I think I seldom can't live a decade longer than now even though I followed some way of keeping healthy. It is important to me to die with happiness rather than live long. (3) I think there is a little chance for living longer than ten years just because we try some way of making healthy. I think it valuable for me not so much to die a happy death as to put off my death. (4) I think that, just because you tried some method of staying healthy, .... I think putting off death is not so important as dying happily. (5) Because you tried some way of keeping healthy, I think the possibility for living ten years longer is little. What matters for me is rather die happily than postpone dead. よろしくお願いいたします。

• 次の文を英訳したいのですが、単語や文法で迷っています。

以下の文を英訳したいのですが、どなたかご指導ください。 わたしはカナダの病院は進歩しているだろうと思った。しかし、医療技術、体制とも、日本より後れていた。 私の考えた英訳です。 I thought hospitals are progressive in Canada, but there were`nt backward than Japan for medicaltreatment and system. 単語や文法の使い方に間違いや違和感があったら教えてください。よろしくお願いします。

• (was / there / much / not

(was / there / much / not / left / milk) in the refrigerator. In that country, (than / soccer / they / any / like / better) other sport. 解答と訳をお願いします。

• 和訳

The researchers believe their results can be applied to evolution as a whole. it seems that , in human evolution , it was very important that the majority of people be right-handed. This is because most of the time cooperation was more important to our survival than competition. However in certain situations , competition was more important. In these cases , having about 10 percent of the population left-handed was an advantage for human beings. 文法の解説を含めて和訳が知りたいです。 回答お願いします。

• 英語についての質問

To compensate for his unpleasant experiences in hospital, the man drank a little more than was good for him.[In the process],he enjoyed himself thoroughly and kept telling everybody how much he hated hospitals. という英文の[]した部分を ( )he was ( )というかたちにして頂きたいです。

• 英文法・語法問題

http://okwave.jp/qa/q7760170.html 上記の質問に回答したのですが、私自身、特に、最初の3つの問題がよくわかりませんでした。文法にお詳しい方の、ご回答を期待します。また、上記質問での、私の、他の回答に関してもご意見をいただけましたら幸いです。 ・( )に入れて文法的に正しいもの 1. It was only the week before that the president of the organization had ( ). ア. fired her assistant イ. her assistant fired ウ. her assistant have fired エ. to fire her assistant オ. to have her assistant fired 2. The doctor suspected that what she had was no ( ). ア. common cold イ. doubt a common cold ウ. longer common cold エ. longer than a common cold オ. more than a common cold 3. Although the new student may seem to be ( ) diligent, the teachers are certain that he will go far. ア. anything but イ. far from ウ. in no way エ. not at all オsuch as

• 文法問題

英語の問題で、なかなか苦戦したものです。 解答及び解説等あれば、お願いします。 ・( )に入れて文法的に正しいもの 1It was only the week before that the president of the organization had ( ). アfired her assistant イher assistant fired ウher assistant have fired エto fire her assistant オto have her assistant fired 2The doctor suspected that what she had was no ( ). アcommon cold イdoubt a common cold ウlonger common cold エlonger than a common cold オmore than a common cold 3Although the new student may seem to be ( ) diligent, the teachers are certain that he will go far. アanything but イfar from ウin no way エnot at all オsuch as ・誤った箇所の訂正 1We do not seem able to survive as human beings unless we do not live in close cooperation with one another. 2Some foods consist mostly in artificial components, and the worst thing about it is that these are mainly the kinds of things that children like. 3Public transportation has bemdn much improved. A high-speed train, for instance, takes passengers from Montreal to Toronto for less than two hours. 4Though many women say that part-time work reduces their chances for advancement, most of them agree that even a part-time job is better than any at all. ・次の定義に合うもの 1to be disloyal to your country, your group, or to someone who trusts you, often causing them serious harm as a result アbetray イmenace ウdelay エconfess オagitate 2having many different parts and usually difficult to understand アappreciate イobstinate ウeducated エcomplicated オdiscriminate 3word for describing something that lasts or exists for only a limited period of time アtemporary イsubrequent ウpreparatory エimmediate オsuccessive 単語が難しかったです。