Is Wearing a Black Lives Matter Button an Effective Way to Support the Movement?

このQ&Aのポイント
  • A white woman married to an American-born Pakistani man is questioning if wearing a Black Lives Matter button is an effective way to support the movement.
  • She lives in a predominantly white county in a swing state that went red this year and feels the button is a small but persistent way to demonstrate her support while also challenging her community.
  • Her husband is worried about her being harassed in public, but she believes it is important to show her support.
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

よろしくお願いします

I’m a white woman married to an American-born Pakistani man. We’ve both been feeling rattled by the election and have each taken separate measures to uphold our political and social ideals for the future, including making monthly donations to organizations who support our beliefs. Beyond this, I’ve started to volunteer helping refugees in our area and have begun wearing a Black Lives Matter button on my coat. We live in a predominantly white county in a swing state that went red this year. I feel that this button is a small but persistent way to demonstrate my support of the movement while also challenging my community. My husband does not want me to wear it because he’s worried about my being harassed in public. I stay home with our son—I don’t wear this to an office, just places like the grocery store, bank, library, etc. I explained my reasoning behind it and he agreed to drop the issue but still shows some signs of disapproval when I get dressed to go out. Am I in the right here, or is the button an ineffective way to support the movement? went redとchallenging my communityはどのような意味でしょうか?あと、 Am I in the rightはAm I rightというのとはどう違うのでしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• corta
  • お礼率76% (4131/5367)
  • 英語
  • 回答数2
  • ありがとう数2

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • cbm51901
  • ベストアンサー率67% (2671/3943)
回答No.3

米国では大統領選挙の時、共和党の支持に回った州を赤色、民主党の支持に回った州を青色で表します。話者が住んでいる州は "swing state" ということで、元々どちら寄りでもない「激戦州」なのですが、その年(恐らくトランプ大統領が当選した年)は "went red" つまり赤色=共和党に傾いたのでしょう。 [ご参考]: https://www.google.com/search?q=US+presidential+results+map&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjQrLu9kIfeAhUDgrwKHfd9CiQQ_AUIDigB&biw=1920&bih=969 "while also challenging my community" 「同時に私の(住んでいる)コミュニティに対して抗戦しつつ」 話者は Black Lives Matter のバッジを付けることによって、自分が有色人種や移民の支援者であることを表明し、自分の住む、白人が大半を占める郡(これには共和党支持者の多い郡、というニュアンスが含まれていると思います)(predominantly white county)に抵抗している、ということでしょう。 "Am I in the right?" 「私(の立ち位置/スタンス)は正しいでしょうか?」 "Am I right?" 「私は正しいでしょうか?」 両者は殆ど同じ意味を持つと思いますが、"Am I in the right?" には(立ち位置/スタンス)といったニュアンスが含まれるように思います。

corta
質問者

お礼

ご回答ありがとうございます

その他の回答 (1)

• SPS700
  • ベストアンサー率46% (15295/33014)
回答No.2

1。went redとchallenging my communityはどのような意味でしょうか?  went redは、右派、共和党に回ったという意味でしょう。  challenging my community (いつも民主党を支持する)私の社会に挑戦して 2。あと、 Am I in the rightはAm I rightというのとはどう違うのでしょうか?   Am I in the rightは、(個人ではなく集団の)正しい側に私はいるのでしょうか  Am I rightというのは、(個人的に)私は正しいのでしょうか  似たようなものですけど、という違いがあるのかもしれません。

corta
質問者

お礼

ご回答ありがとうございます

関連するQ&A

• よろしくお願いします

I recently lost my wife after many years together. It was an amazing marriage, and I miss her immensely. I am looking to find a companion. The problem is, my daughter is not in my corner on this issue. not in my cornerは「賛成していない」でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• 英文のRecommendationのリクエスト。

至急大学でRecommendationを提出しなければならなくなってしまい、時間がなくて焦っています。何か変だなと思うところがある方、採点していただけると幸いです。 Dear Professor XXXXX, I am writing to ask if you would be willing to write a letter of recommendation for me. My name is XXXXX, and I am majoring in sociology with a minor in math media. I am taking your English class in spring of 2014. The reason why I am writing to you is for my application to study to be an air traffic controller at The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Academy and the application due by June 13. While I am in your class, I learn a method to organization that the writer want to say from reading bank discussion and to tell to other people briefly. In this assignment, I was able to get perfect score. It is connect to my future job. The people who work as an air traffic controller need ability to tell the condition to a pilot briefly in short time because the job control an airplane that one plane takes off and landing every one minute. If this sounds agreeable to you, I will stop by your office hours to tell you my specific plan. Thank you for your time and consideration. I want to say how much I am having fun in your class. Sincerely, XXXXXXX

• raw from our grief

I am unexpectedly pregnant with my second child, and I have no idea how to tell my stepchildren, my family, my friends, or even my husband about my pregnancy. My husband and I lost our first child, an infant, in a horrible accident this past March. We’re still raw from our grief and haven’t even discussed if or when we’d have another child. raw from our griefはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• よろしくお願いします

My father is an alcoholic who abused me verbally, emotionally and physically during my childhood. I spent most of my 20s in the care of an excellent therapist and have a stable job, a good husband, and two sweet dogs. I’m happy to have left my painful childhood in the past, where it belongs. I opted to maintain a cordial yet distant relationship with my father rather than confront him or cut him out. I dictate the terms of our relationship and see him once or twice a month. My father hates this; he complains regularly that I don’t visit him enough and constantly tries to get me alone to bully me. What do you think, Prudie? Is my “cordial cool” stance the right one? Should I let him have it? Or is it enough that I even still speak to this man? 1 I’m happy to have left my painful childhood in the past, where it belongs.の訳を教えてください。 2 ここでのcordialは「友好的な」で良いでしょうか? 3 dictate the terms of our relationshipの意味を教えてください。 4 let him have itの意味を教えてください。 以上、よろしくお願いします

• have reservations

Our son is in a serious relationship and I believe an engagement is in the offing. We like this young woman, but have reservations that I am struggling with. ここでのreservationsはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• よろしくお願いします

I am one of six adult siblings. We gather once or twice a year in a low-key kind of way to stay connected and catch up. My brother "Tom," his wife and three adult children stopped attending these events a couple of years ago. This left us perplexed. Recently Tom's son (my nephew) shared with the family that he was gender-transitioning to being a woman. We reached out to my brother and our new niece, "Laura," in our individual ways, with messages of support and acceptance. My brother followed up with an email explaining that this was the reason for the recent absences, as they took time to process it and to support Laura, who wasn't yet ready to share her changes with the broader family. the broader familyはここではどのような意味でしょうか?なぜ比較級になっているのでしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• off-and-on about

I am in the middle of a divorce from my husband of almost 10 years. I had an affair with an out-of-state co-worker toward the end of my marriage and developed feelings for him. In the meantime, my co-worker has been off-and-on about the status of our relationship, and I ended up sleeping with a colleague during a work trip. off-and-on about the status of our relationshipはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• a person in my own right

The problem comes when dealing with the other grandmother, especially when others are in the vicinity. I don't know whether it's because I am older than she is or what, but she always addresses me as "Gramma Mary," as in, "Gramma Mary, what would you like to do today?" I find this condescending, disrespectful and rude. First of all, I am not her grandmother. Second, I am a person in my own right, with a job and hobbies. a person in my own rightはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• 口座を作ってくれという海外メール?

こんにちは。 このごろ、妙なメールが舞い込みます。差出人は今回はスイスの人ですが、アフリカからの時もあります。 共通しているのは、大量の金があり、(自分にとっての)国外の銀行に口座をつくってくれる人を探している、ということらしいのです。お金は、死んだ夫、または父などの遺産だったり、また、イラクの廃屋で拾った大金、ということもあります。国外に持ち出せなくて?困っているように書いてあります。。 きっとこういうメール受け取っている人もおられると思います。いったいこれはなんなのじゃ?文面通りのことなのか、他意があるのか、、、なにか御存知の方、どうぞ宜しくお願いします。 I am just back from Iraq where in the cause of performing our duties we found in a box a large amount of money in cash in an abandoned house, I reached an agreement with the members of my team whom are UN officials(two in number)and we agreed to keep this money to ourselves and they moved the box out of Iraq to Europe(with their immunity as UN officials they are not searched at borders or airports) Now, I am in need of a reliable and trustworthy person or company overseas whom I can confidently work with. My work does not permit me to own a foreign bank account or any personal business until retirement. I have the honor to confide this information in you and to request for your pleasure to assist to receive and secure the money in your account, pending our retirement from service.

• guilted into doing this

I am a woman in my mid-60s. I was sexually abused by an older brother from the ages of about 8 to 11, although it may have occurred when I was much younger, also. I've pushed it to the back of my mind all these years; never told anyone except my gynecologist and a therapist a while ago. Despite this, I was able to maintain a reasonable relationship with this brother. Now he is quite sick and my two younger brothers expect me to join them in taking care of him. Quite simply, I resent being guilted into doing this. guilted into doing thisの意味を教えてください。よろしくお願いします