What does put in a holding pattern mean?

このQ&Aのポイント
  • Put in a holding pattern refers to an action taken by airplanes when they are unable to land at their intended destination due to various reasons, such as bad weather or congestion.
  • In the given context, it means that the airplane was circling above the airport in a holding pattern because the weather conditions in Beijing had deteriorated.
  • After spending over two hours in the holding pattern, the pilot made the decision to return to Tokyo.
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

put in a holding pattern

I was flying to Beijing after attending a seminar in Tokyo. As we approached Beijing, the weather took a sudden turn for the worse. We were put in a holding pattern over the airport for over the two hours before the pilot decided to return to Tokyo. put in a holding patternはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• corta
  • お礼率76% (4123/5358)
  • 英語
  • 回答数2
  • ありがとう数2

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • SPS700
  • ベストアンサー率46% (15295/33014)
回答No.2

#1です。補足です。  holding pattern は、下記では(航空用語)で「待機経路」と訳されています。着陸の順番を待って空港の上をぐるぐる行列して旋回している経路です。   https://eow.alc.co.jp/search?q=holding+pattern  ですから「我々は(北京空港上空で二時間以上も)待機経路に入れられ(やっと操縦士は東京に引っ返すことに決めた)」でしょう。

corta
質問者

お礼

ご回答ありがとうございます

その他の回答 (1)

• SPS700
  • ベストアンサー率46% (15295/33014)
回答No.1

put in a holding patternはどのような意味でしょうか?  待機編隊に置かれる  > (北京空港の管制塔から、今天候が悪くて、着陸は危険だから上空を旋回して天候がよくなるまで他の航空機と空中)待機の姿勢に入るよう指示され(操縦士が東京に引き返すまで二時間も上空で待たされた)

corta
質問者

お礼

ご回答ありがとうございます

関連するQ&A

• put について(put on と put in)

読売新聞のサイトで五輪サッカーの記事を読んでいたところ、ちょっと気に掛かった表現があったので、質問します。 いずれも put を含むもので、簡単そうで難しい文章だと思いました。 引用1: The U.S. in particular seemed to struggle with the climate, unable to put on much of a running game. But while the Japanese huffed and puffed for possession, it was the Americans who would score moments after halftime. 質問: ここで、"put on much of a running game"という部分が、なんとなく理解しづらいのですが、どういう構造&意味なんでしょうか? 直前の climate を修飾しているのでしょうか? それとも seemed の「補語」なんでしょうか? 引用2: "My boys put in a real hard fight and I am proud of them. We still have a lot of improving to do, but we did some things very well tonight. " 質問: ここでの put in a real hard fight が微妙に理解しづらいのですが、どういう意味でしょう? 以上宜しく、ご教授お願いします。

• by holding the ring in the back,……以

by holding the ring in the back,……以下がわからないのですが。 お世話になります。 I rang the bell before using the low-tech way to gain entry to the apartment building's quirky front door without a key : by holding the ring in the back, pulling it forward, and pushing the door in at the same time. という文章の by holding the ring 以下をどう訳せばいいのかわかりません。 ご教示頂ければ幸いです。 よろしくお願いいたします。

• put

We owe a lot to the birds and beasts which eat insects, but all of them put together kill only a bit of the number destroyed by spiders. という文がありました。このputの働きがよくわかりません。なるべく詳しくご説明ください。

• You get out what you put in, as the

You get out what you put in, as they say.の意味がわかりません。どう言う意味か教えて頂けますか、下記文の最後に出てきます。宜しくお願い致します。 Do you have to work long hours? Yes. I have to work a long day. I start at 7 in the morning and often do not leave the office before 7 at night. You must be very busy. What do you do? I am in the field of financial management. We look after people's money for them. Even though I do not like my job, I do not think I would like to work 12 hours a day. To be successful you have to work hard. You get out what you put in, as they say.

• patternの訳し方

こんにちは。 現在、大学生で英語を専門とする学部に所属しています。 patternを日本語で表す時、軸となる考え方としては何が適切なのでしょうか? 英英辞書で調べたところ、 1. a repeated decorative design: an arrangement or sequence regularly found in comparable       objects or evens. 2. a regular form or sequence discernible in the way in which something happens or is done: a change in working patterns 3. a model or design used as a guide in needlework and other crafts. a set of instructions to be followed in making a sewn or knitted item a model from which a mould is made for a casting a sample of cloth for others to follow 4. an example of cloth others to follow と書かれています。 これを日本語にあてはめれば、 おそらく「型」、「様式」、「模様」もしくは単に「パターン」が浮かんでくるのですが、英語活用辞書で調べてみると、上記のような訳では不十分でした。 例えば、「according to pattern」だと「見本通りに」とありました。 さらに、大阪大学の赤本(2010年)の解答には、「complex patterns」で「複雑な世の中のしくみ」とありました。(おそらくこれは、文脈を読み取ってのものだと考えます。) 実際、patternは何を軸として、「型」や「様式」、「見本」といった訳を考えることができるのでしょうか? 英英辞書に載っていることが答えだと思うのですが、まだまだ僕の英語力不足でいまいち、書かれていることが理解できません。 もし、英語に詳しい方がこの質問を見てくだされば、お答え願います。

• Put a flag over her face

こんにちは、この英語のことわざの意味をご存知のかた教えてください。 オンラインの辞書では解説を見つけられませんでした。 Put a flag over her face and do it for your country. よろしくお願い致します。

• 「in」について

お世話になります。 次の文章中の「in」について教えてください。 If we bought a used car that we ended up not liking, we wouldn't feel so bad about trading it in for a different one. (結局気に入らなくなるような中古車を買ったとしても、別の車を買うために下取りに出すのはそれほど後悔しないだろう) この「・・about trading it in for a different one.」のうちの、「in」は必要なのでしょうか?

• Put her on a budget

If Julie handles her depression by spending money, you need to be supportive without being indulgent. This is an area that is difficult for her to control. Put her on a budget and limit her access to your joint account. https://www.arcamax.com/healthandspirit/lifeadvice/anniesmailbox/s-2005747 Put her on a budget とはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• start in

"Dear Prudie, I am a married woman in my early 40s with young children whose longtime, local job in New England is being transitioned to the corporate office in the Midwest. My husband works for the same company and has a job offer there and we’ve decided to relocate. The company is compensating us generously. The issue is that my mother, who’s in her late 60s, is having a very difficult time accepting our decision. She insists that I stay, even though she knows it would put my family at financial risk since I would no longer have a job. She is giving me guilt trips laden with mentions of emotional abandonment, threats that she’d “rather not be alive” if I go, and accusations of putting greed before family. We have asked her to move with us, and she refuses. We have told her we can bring her out for weeks at a time to stay with us, which she also refuses because she said she won’t drive such long distances and doesn’t like to fly. I understand her sadness, but I’m becoming angry and resentful that she thinks it is a viable answer to put my family in financial peril for her. Please help. —Leaving on a Jet Plane? Dear Jet, Though I don’t buy her claims of emotional abandonment, I do buy that you are being emotionally blackmailed. Your mother is insinuating she’ll kill herself if you follow the absolutely necessary path of transferring to headquarters. I believe that’s an empty threat, but if she keeps this up, she’ll only make your move easier by causing you to want to flee her harangues. You don’t say that your mother is infirm, so while she may not be up to driving herself such long distances, there’s no excuse for her to say she’ll refuse to get on a plane for a relatively short hop. But flying to see you wouldn’t even be necessary if she’d agree to take you up on your offer of moving to the Midwest. Presumably, she’s a lifelong New Englander with a web of family and friends, so she may not want to start over. But that’s her decision, and it means spending time with you and the grandchildren will require travel. Tell her you’re going, her options have been explained to her, and you are going to refuse to listen to more weeping and wailing. If she starts in, hang up the phone or leave—until you leave for good. " ここでのstarts inはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• arrangeの言い換えとしてのput on

ビジネス英語のテキストにarrange の言い換えとしてput on を使った例文がありました。 They put on lots of courses for people who needed to develop their English. Marketing is putting on an exhibition to promote the company's work in Mexico. arrangeの意味で使うput onは後に来る目的語は限られるでしょうか。 その場合、arrangeの目的語になるけどput onの後に来ると不自然なのはどんな単語でしょうか。 どうかよろしくお願いします。