Overcoming Weight Worries: A Long-Weekend Reunion

このQ&Aのポイント
  • Reuniting with family after years apart can be exciting, but for someone with weight insecurities, it can also be anxiety-inducing. Should you mention your weight gain or hide it? Here's some advice on navigating this sensitive situation.
  • Wrestling with an eating disorder and gaining weight over the years is a personal struggle that your siblings may not be aware of. Consider opening up to them before the reunion to avoid any surprises or insensitive comments.
  • Rather than dwelling on your insecurities, focus on the joy of reuniting with your family. Let them know that despite your self-consciousness, you are overriding your worries and looking forward to spending quality time together.
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

override my own worries

I have an upcoming long-weekend visit with my spouse, my two siblings and their spouses. We haven't seen one another in years. I have gained a lot of weight in the interim, and I am very self-conscious. Should I just not mention it? What if they make snide comments? I have a long-term, binge-eating disorder that they don't know about. I don't want to be dreading this weekend, but I'm wringing my hands. Any advice? -- The Elephant in the Room Dear The Elephant in the Room: You might want to contact your siblings in advance to let them know that you have been wrestling with an eating disorder, and that you've gained weight over the years. Be transparent about this, and convey, very simply, "I'm pretty self-conscious about this, but I'm so excited about seeing all of you that I'm overriding my own worries. I'm overriding my own worriesは「心配を通り越して心配していない」ということでしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• corta
  • お礼率76% (4123/5358)
  • 英語
  • 回答数2
  • ありがとう数2

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • SPS700
  • ベストアンサー率46% (15295/33014)
回答No.1

I'm overriding my own worriesは「心配を通り越して心配していない」ということでしょうか? はい。おっしゃる通りです。(あながたに会える喜びで)私自身の心配を乗り超えるつもりよ、といった意味でしょう。

corta
質問者

お礼

ご回答ありがとうございます

その他の回答 (1)

• skydaddy
  • ベストアンサー率51% (388/748)
回答No.2

太った心配をoverridingしているのは、心配ではなく”(2年ぶりに久しぶりに)兄弟に会えること”です。 ”しかし、僕は僕自身の問題を以上に君に会えることに凄く興奮している。”ぐらいの感じだと思います。

corta
質問者

お礼

ご回答ありがとうございます

関連するQ&A

• my job interview!!

I have an interview with Apple for an AHA position today!! I'm real nervous....!! do you have any advice for my interview? I'm stuck in a window! PLEASE and Thanks!

• no worriesとdon't worry?

NHKラジオ英会話講座より A:You don't look too good. Are you all right? B:I feel a little under the weather. A:Well,make sure you don't overdo it. B:I'll be fine. No worries. (質問)「心配しないで」はいつも[Don't worry.]と言っていました。 (1)no worriesとdon't worryのフィーリングの違いを教えて下さい? (2)ネイティブはどちらを多用しますか? (3)略さなければ次のようですか?   It's no worries about that./You have no worries about that. You don't have to worry about that. なにかヒントでもいただけると有難いです。 以上

• 出来れば至急、以下の英文を日本語に翻訳願います

Someday I'll explain to you what a lovely and good man, * no matter what language, no matter now do not understand me ... Thank you:) you have changed my mind about women ... Proved to me that something beautiful can be .. Never mind that I'm here in Vilnius, and you land on another world in Tokyo ...

• I'm almost done all my~

Since I'm almost done all my baking, I can't share with you the most delicious and delectable cookie recipes that I have made this year. のI'm almost done all my bakingって文法的にどうなってるんでしょうか? 訳とともに説明お願いします!

• 日本語訳はどうなりますでしょうか?

日本語訳はどうなりますでしょうか? I have an M.A. in early education which I have just thrown away in that dink junior high school back there, so you forget about the buffalo and the goddamn Indians.

• aboutとof の違い

(1)I have been thinking about you, and feeling guilty about my long silence. (2)I have been thinking of you, and feeling guilty about my long silence. このabout とofの違いは日本語でどう訳すのが、適切ですか?(男性→女性の場合)

• pumped my own gas

I have been widowed for 19 years and belong to a support group of women who go out to lunch once a month. Before I married my late husband, I was an independent businesswoman, cared for an elderly parent, paid my own bills, pumped my own gas, bought my own cars, etc. pumped my own gasとはどういうことでしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• 日記風に、誰かに話しかける感じで書きました。添削お願いします。

ここgooだけで勉強していますが、暫らく英文を書かなかったので、英語の文章が中々出てきません。再度、勉強をしなおさないとだめかと思っています。短い文章ですが、書いてみました。 Hi, my Crystal! The first, I must say to you “ I am so sorry! I haven't came here for a long time.” Did you worry about me? I have been well. How about you, Crystal? Sometimes I thought of you, but I couldn’t think and feel in English. I know I have to learn English day by day. Now my brain said to me “You can!" I should believe myself. I have you and you help me a lot for it. Crystal, I promise you that I will be learning with you. And someday I want to talk with you and my friends in English. Crystal, I have to make breakfast. So I say to you “Have a nice weekend!”

• 英語の翻訳お願いします。

I care so much about you I care about you more than I can say. And that caring and that feeling have a meaning that is more precious and more special to me than I can explain. But let me try to tell you this... Stying ''I care'' means that I will always do everything I can to understand. It means that I will never hurt you. It means that you can trust me. It means that you can tell me. What's wrong. It means that I will try to fix what I can,that I will listen When you need me to hear,and that ~even in your most difficult moment ~all you have to do is say tha word,and your hand and my hand will not be apart. It means that whenever you speak to me,whether words are spoken through a smile or theouge a tear... I will listen with my heart. I do care about you... In a very special wey. メッセージカードの柄としてあったので気になりました。お願いします

• double down

Q. Husband telling people I have borderline personality disorder: I recently found out from a friend that my husband has been telling our friends that I have borderline personality disorder. I was completely flabbergasted and shocked, because I have never been diagnosed with this in my life. I confronted my husband, and he refused to talk to me about it, saying he didn’t feel “safe” talking to me. I immediately made an appointment with my therapist and explained the situation to her. She reassured me that I do not, in fact, have BPD. I again talked to my husband, told him to stop lying, and that I wouldn’t stand for it. He agreed but did not apologize. A few weeks later, I checked his texts (I know—cardinal sin of marriage), and saw that he had drunk-texted his colleague at 11:30 at night that I had BPD. (He was so drunk that night that he threw up after he DROVE himself home.) I’m at a loss. We’ve been having marriage problems due to lack of trust. He lies to my face frequently, e.g. will tell me he was at work all day, and later I will find out that he had spent the whole day at the shopping mall. Or he will come home late reeking of alcohol but insist he never had a drop to drink and was at the office the whole time, and later I find the receipts showing he had gone out drinking before coming home. I think this is the last straw, but I don’t know what to do. He has been trying to be a better husband in a lot of ways (has stepped up his contribution to housework, is learning to cook, makes lots of thoughtful gestures, etc.), but he continues to lie and refuses to apologize. He just says I’m in denial about BPD and asks why it bothers me so much that he tells other people. He says he’s just worried about me and “looking for advice from friends.” A: I think this is the last straw too, and I think I know what you should do: I think you should leave him. This is abusive gaslighting of the highest order (“a form of mental abuse which a victim is manipulated into doubting their own memory, perception and sanity”). You have plenty of reasons to end your marriage already, between his chronic lying and drinking, but when you add to that list the fact that he has repeatedly lied about your mental health to your friends and refused to apologize (!!!) when confronted with this fact, what you have is less of a marriage and more of a hostage situation. I don’t believe your husband is worried about you in the least. I think he’s interested in making you doubt yourself, in feeling isolated, in keeping you in the dark, and in controlling you. I don’t care how many dishes he washes. This is a person who will ruin your life, and I hope you can find somewhere else to sleep tonight. Don’t let his half-hearted attempts to pick up more dirty socks convince you that you’re suffering from a mental disorder you don’t have, then doubling down by suggesting you’re “in denial” when you call him out on his vicious lies. ここでのdouble downはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします